PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Colonization within 20 years?

Kent
Aug 20, 2003, 04:30 PM
LONDON, Aug. 19 (UPI) -- Humans could be living on the Moon within 20 years but European experts say whether science fiction becomes reality depends on the world's politicians.

Bernard Foing, the project scientist for Europe's Smart-1 moon mission, told the BBC establishment of a moon colony is technologically possible. But Foing says most important is the political will to establish a human base for preparing for colonization of the Moon or to be used as a refuge for the human species.

The unmanned Smart-1 spacecraft is scheduled to lift off next month to demonstrate Europe has the technology for future deep space science missions.

The Smart-1 rocket has as its main form of propulsion an ion engine powered by solar-electrical means, rather than conventional chemical fuel. It will make an x-ray map of the moon after its 15-month voyage.

Sarah Dunkin, a British scientist on the Smart-1 project, told the BBC: "To actually live on another world would be quite a test of technology, as well as human physiology. We don't know what the long-term effects of living in a low gravity environment would be."

Source (http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20030819-042150-7975r.htm).

Kizaragu
Aug 20, 2003, 04:46 PM
I'll believe it when I see. it. Don't believe it'll be quite so soon though but I do believe it WILL happen eventually.
20 yrs? Unlikely, The press are just over egsagerating (sp?) it as always.
Take the British Tabloids for Example. Anyone remember all that trouble with the traffic a while ago? Cars being stuck on Motorways all across Britain for hours because of the weather etc. (I don't know the full details) The Press decided to course mass panic by saying it could become a common occurence!? It was the first time in how long (if ever) because of some silly mistake.
They've now started saying the UK could soon be hit by blackouts similar to the ones in America. I hate the press so much. Bad news is good news.

Anyway, sorry for the rant about the press! Ignore me and talk about the topic. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Dangerous55
Aug 20, 2003, 04:57 PM
I think in my lifetime I will see some sort of base or colony on the Moon or Mars. Or we get invaded by Aliens, beat them with water because all aliens are explosive when hit by water, then we take there awesome technology and take over the universe. With water.

Davion
Aug 20, 2003, 05:00 PM
On 2003-08-20 14:57, Dangerous55 wrote:
I think in my lifetime I will see some sort of base or colony on the Moon or Mars. Or we get invaded by Aliens, beat them with water because all aliens are explosive when hit by water, then we take there awesome technology and take over the universe. With water.

Sounds good to me, D55.