PDA

View Full Version : how about a timesplitters2 style level designer?

toxic_420
Aug 21, 2003, 08:39 AM
its one of the things ive always wished for in pso, how cool would it be to design your own maps for your own personal quests, like you can in timesplitters2?
the framework is already there, on non-set levels (caves,mines,ruins,temple,spaceship,seabed) you could design them totally, multiple routes, winding corridors, tiny monster packed rooms.
in the already laid out levels (forest,cca) you could design fiendish switch puzzles, fill rooms with traps.
other ares of customization could include inserting npc's to help or hinder, put baranz's and belra's in the forest to scare people, make 100 tollaws spawn repeadedly in one room til you get your rare....... the possibilities would be amazingly endless.
please, share your ideas in this topic with me

Logical2u
Aug 21, 2003, 08:57 AM
That would make the game too easy. You could just make EVERY monster a rare enemy and everyone would have too many rares, in NORMAL!

Solidus_Snake
Aug 21, 2003, 09:01 AM
maybe you wouldnt be allowed to change the drop rate. and besides 100 tollaws in normal in the forest!?! the lil people wouldnt even make it past forest

toxic_420
Aug 21, 2003, 09:03 AM
not necesarily. you could place 5 hilebears in a room, but the hildeblue appearance rate would be the same as it normally would. and you would have no tools to change the rare an enemy drops, or the percentage rate for the rares appearance.

vegeta000110
Aug 21, 2003, 09:24 AM
That's a neat idea. There should also be options to choose which boss you go up against at the end. Better yet, if there was the capability to make a level with just bosses (kinda like Top Hunter mode in evolution worlds,or so I hear).

Morfos
Aug 24, 2003, 12:51 AM
A level designer would be a splendid idea, I though about that myself, of course, ST will have to put limits to it.

Outrider
Aug 24, 2003, 11:50 PM
I've actually been discussing this with my brother. It certainly be an excellent idea, so long as there were certain limits. Also, it would allow for us to have more quests. And it would be easy to implement NPCs, since all the possible variations are available within the game.

Night_Star
Aug 25, 2003, 12:14 AM
that would be an awesome idea!!!
you could make your own quests!
it would be great for offline only players who couldnt do those EN quests that are online http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif you could just make them for yourself http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
it would also be great to fill a room full of slimes and see how many you can dupe http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

toxic_420
Aug 25, 2003, 10:42 AM
thanks for your thoughts guys, i thought my topic had slipped off page one forever *sniff* im so proud.
i love creating things, which is why i love pso and the create a character function, a level designer would be so so good.
maybe in a couple years when the current gen of consoles are hacked to bits we might see a level designer and levels freely distributed over the net. you never know....

Kent
Aug 25, 2003, 11:54 AM
Odds are, if Sonic Team actually did release a level editor, it'd probably be only for Battle mode...

Gestiv
Aug 25, 2003, 11:58 AM
Why only for BA mode?

I've thought about this many a time, argh I wish they had one... I ove making levels in TS2, and I'd love to make some for PSO... right now the only way you can do that is get a job for ST and become a Level Designer. =/

Outrider
Aug 25, 2003, 04:19 PM
Well, the Dreamcast is hacked very very much. I've got burns of Nintendo and SNES emulators lying around, which run pretty much perfectly on the DC. But that's not the same thing...

Dragon_Ash
Aug 25, 2003, 04:25 PM
Well you should be able to re-dsign the levels and monsters to suit your tatstes and you should be limited to the amount of monsters you have in one room. The drop rates would stay the same and so would rare enemy drop rates.

Kent
Aug 25, 2003, 11:35 PM
On 2003-08-25 09:58, Gestiv wrote:
Why only for BA mode?

You've got to be kidding, as if it weren't obvious enough...

You know that if it were usable for making levels for normal play that people would just fill levels up with specific monsters, making hunting for rares easier. However, if it were only for Battle mode, people would be able to make custom arenas for fighting each other in. I suppose making challenge levels that people could play just for fun would be feasable, too, butthere'd have to be no reward for completing it other than having fun.

Nidarrock
Aug 25, 2003, 11:52 PM
It could be possible to put restrictions on enemies per room, drop rate, boxes, ect... Basically all you would be given is a way to layout the level, allow for barriers, switches, lights and the like. As for enemies you are given a limit per room, and you have no control over ANY drops. The only issue that may arise is with a reward for a mission. That would be the hardest thing. Not many players would be willing to do a long quest knowing your reward was going to be meseta. Perhaps something could be added to quests that give a rare similar to that of the Soul Eater. But with all the hacking going on it would be easy for those players to bypass it. it's a shame because making quests is too much fun. Heck Morrowind's is a ton of fun to use.

Night_Star
Aug 26, 2003, 11:45 PM
my bro said it would be a bad idea because you could just fill a room with enemies that would drop the wep that you want, then just do it over and over again. it would be pretty cheap that way, but i dont really care what kind of "negative" things would come out of it, such as that.
it would be awesome to make your own quests with any mix of enemies that you want. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Dbc
Aug 27, 2003, 12:28 AM
Although it'd make getting real rare rares way easier to get(real nei's claw)the idea sounds great, It would be fun to put some ob lily's in the ruins

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dbc on 2003-08-26 22:28 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dbc on 2003-08-26 22:29 ]</font>

TheTrueJanus
Aug 27, 2003, 04:37 AM
Well, it wouldn't be so cheap if there was a way to increase the rarity of the rares, such as the more of a certain type of enemy you put in a level, the lower the drop rate of that particular rare is. That would make things a little bit fairer. For example, you put about 20 Hildebears in an area, the rare it drops is 20 harder than usual to get, instead of 20 times easier. Just a thought....

Wang_Tang
Aug 27, 2003, 04:58 PM
Feh, too lazy to read thread. Anyways, the hildebear/hildelt thing. You could put a high number of bears in a room (5, 6, etc) and then just pipe trick, making finding the rare monster easy as pie to find. There are rooms with like 8 rappies, so lets just assume that in this editor you could put 8 bears in a room. hello heaven punisher for bluefull O-o.

Also, you could just make the entire forest spawn tollaws in every room, or for that matter hilde's in every room. Also you could possibly put many mericarols/gibbles/gi gues in every room of a level. it would make item running extremely easy. There would likely be limits such as only 1 "mini boss" per level, and perhaps only a certain number of a certain type of monster per level, that type of thing. Also, exp caps could be implemented for each level, in the editor, to limit the number of monsters. Say, 50k forest, 75-100k caves, 75-80k mines, 180-250k for ruins, etc. This means you can only put up to that particular number of exp and therefore monsters in the level. if you dont understand what i mean... i dont really care O-o.

Pants.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wang_Tang on 2003-08-27 15:01 ]</font>