PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Sony

Reenee
Aug 22, 2003, 01:05 AM
Ahh, yes, the much controversial Sony. Yeah, pretty damn controversial, like Nintendo and Micro$oft. Keep your damn "yadda-yadda sucks" comments to yourself. fanboys.

I was just browsing (really, right now) about anything I can dig up about FFXI for PS2, and then I see this, straight from the Square-Enix website:

LOS ANGELES, Calif., August 11, 2003- Square Enix U.S.A., Inc. ("Square Enix U.S.A."), the publisher of Square Enix™ products in North America, announced today that FINAL FANTASY® XI for Windows® will begin shipping to North American retailers in late October. FINAL FANTASY XI, the first online title in the world-renowned series, is a cross-platform, cross-continent massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG). FINAL FANTASY XI allows gamers to connect to the same exact world regardless of whether they are playing on the personal computer (PC) or PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and whether they are playing in North America or Japan.

FINAL FANTASY XI for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system will be released in conjunction with the internal hard disk drive (40GB)(for PlayStation 2) by Sony Computer Entertainment America. Specific product details, including release date and price, will be announced by the company at a later date.

Okay, really, now I'm pissed off at Sony. This is friggin' rediculous. WHY ISN'T THAT DAMN HARD DRIVE OUT YET!? What the hell? PS2 owners are suddenly screwed over now? Why is this stupid peecee version getting glory first?

_Sinue_
Aug 22, 2003, 03:05 AM
Why isn't it out? Simple. If they were to release FFXI for the PS2 this fall, it would slaughter their own sales of EverQuest Online Adventures: Frontier - the new expansion pack they have comming out around the same time FFXI was originally supposed to come out.

While Sony does make a bit of a profit on Square's success, they make much much more money by hosting their own game and collecting on the monthly fees of that. Most EQOA players right now are only playing EQOA as a hold-over for FFXI. Once that comes out, there will be no reason to play EQOA anymore (expecially since it's a pretty crappy game overall) and thus - Sony pushes back the HDD which FFXI needs to ensure sales of their own titles.

Reenee
Aug 22, 2003, 11:20 AM
And yet Sony didn't realize EQ PS2 sucks?

Dangerous55
Aug 22, 2003, 12:18 PM
On 2003-08-22 09:20, Reenee wrote:

You think it sucks. Your opinion is not Earths.

Getintothegame
Aug 22, 2003, 01:15 PM
On 2003-08-21 23:05, Reenee wrote:
Keep your damn "yadda-yadda sucks" comments to yourself. fanboys.

On 2003-08-22 09:20, Reenee wrote:

O.o

I wish the Gamecube could use a hard-drive.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2003-08-22 11:18 ]</font>

Reenee
Aug 22, 2003, 01:50 PM
Let's clarify:

The "yadda-yadda sucks" part was referring to, err, a recently made "Why isn't PSO on PS2?" thread in General Episode I & II. I was trying to counter console-bashing.

And as for EverQuest...um, just not appealing. It gets limited and boring without the hard drive to add some stuff in. Oooh, wow, an add-on pack. Jebus, haven't you seen what FFXI has gone through?!