PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma - Advance my position or Slack off?

_Sinue_
Aug 22, 2003, 03:44 AM
Things are starting to get shaken up quite a bit at work, and I wanted to know what you guys would do in my situation.

Aight, right now I run a CAD machine at a Party Supply company which makes Prom and Homecomming kits among other things. The old head hauncho of Prototype got the boot and the new girl back there has been getting really friendly with my friend Cory and I. After she found out he could do ArtiosCAD and the kind of computer experience I had, she asked us for an evaluation of the efficency of our area - and then asked for 10 Prom Kit ideas from both of us. Seems we both impressed them with out ideas, and now I get the distict impression they want to advance us into Prototype development.

Our current Production Manager has also been searching for someone with experience to be 3rd shift Machine Lead... and it seems I'm in the front running for the position. Both these new positions are payed on Selary (32k a year for Prototype, 25k a year for Machine lead vs. 20k we're now getting)

Sounds like a good deal huh? Well.. the problem is. We're lazy. The job we have now requires very VERY little work, at good pay, and great job security. It's almost like we're getting PAYED to goof off for 8 hours a night. Like a scene out of that movie Office Space. First shifters can bust their ass to get backorders cut down, and still get in trouble for not working hard enough - and yet Cory and I can watch our machines idle for hours on end, play DOOM LAN deathmatches, and make lil razor blade Shirukens that we throw them into GOOD product that's supposed to ship out the next day.. and we get PRAISED... offered promotions.

That's all going to change if we advance. On the one hand, it could be good for our potential careers to have that kind of experience under our belts. On the other hand, it also means we no longer report to our current supervisor... but to the president of the company himself, who is a major ****head. Turnovers in those positions tend to be high.. so there goes our job security, and since we'll be moving to Selary instead of Hourly - we won't get payed for our overtime.

We've been fighting the advancements for about a week now.. but I'm curious what you all think. Do a good job and risk you emplyment for the sake of advancement, or idle in a dead-end position and get payed for making the company loose money?

Kent
Aug 22, 2003, 05:32 AM
...Lazy? I know if I were offered a promotion in your place, I'd take it because I'm not afraid to work to make my money. And besides, you'll get payed more if you take the offer and actually work, instead of sit on your ass doing whatever. Not to mention the fact that if you make sure your company makes money, you'll get payed even more.

I think advancement in this case would be good, you'd get payed more, and you'd have the satisfaction of knowing that you earned your money.

SAIJAN-ProDG
Aug 22, 2003, 06:03 AM
id say take the promotion which is best suited to you, you wont get anywhere if you dont work and sooner or later not working will come to haunt you so the best thing to do - in my opinion - is to take the promotion which is best suited for youa nd work on it

or you could have the easy way out and just keep your old job and lower pay but you cant say youve really accomplished anything can you?

Obscenity
Aug 22, 2003, 06:07 AM
On 2003-08-22 04:03, SAIJAN-ProDG wrote:

or you could have the easy way out and just keep your old job and lower pay but you cant say youve really accomplished anything can you?

I'd say that managing to get paid for doing very little to nothing is an accomplishment. Me, I'd go the slacker route.

Here's a better dilemma for the poster of the topic:

Take advice from idiots or be a man and make your own decisions?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obscenity on 2003-08-22 04:30 ]</font>

Sedyne
Aug 22, 2003, 06:29 AM
Lazy people get nowhere, 5$ says you're going to wish you had done your best to have aquired the higher position. +More money is never a bad thing.

Dangerous55
Aug 22, 2003, 01:26 PM
If you live nicely with the money you make now then stick with it. You may hate your new place.

Valleo
Aug 22, 2003, 02:01 PM
Seems like you have a pretty sweet deal already. What I would do is consider whether or not the new position would get me anywhere closer to where I would want to be, and Im assuming that since your asking what you should do, none of those jobs is where you want to end up.

So it comes down to; do you need more cash for extra schooling or living expenses while you work towards your goal(s)? Could you potentially get to where you want to end up from where you are now? In my experience, working hard is fine if you like your job, or if the pay is so good that you would do anything they asked you. But if the money isnt that much of an incentive to you, and you end up hating your job, you'll probably end up quitting, or very bitter.

ABDUR101
Aug 22, 2003, 05:40 PM
First off, you have to weigh the responsibilities and requirements, along with the extra money.

Personally, to be in a lead position like that would require abit more money for me to accept it.

Why? Because if I can goof off and be laxed in my job for $25k salary, thats still good money for it being laxed and the "goof off" ability.

I get $8 an hour working in therapy as an aide, and I handle the majority of the paperwork, making sure it gets to the right places, properly filled out(appearently, some adults who have worked in the field all of their life don't know that EVERYTHING has to be filled out, otherwise it can be illegal..duuuuuh).

There is abit of laxity to my job, but at the same time, when there's work to be done, it has to be professional and done right(not much margin for error).

For you, really, it's all up to what you can or can't do. If you take the pay, you have to fill the role and be more mature and hit the work harder to stay on-top, otherwise they'll boot your ass out and put someone in your place like the last guy.

Sagasu
Aug 23, 2003, 12:18 AM
It depends on how much pressure this new job will apply to you.

I would not be lazy and get off my ass bucuz I got better plans with my life, I cant be lazy anyways. But its really up to you, I mean if adding some more pressure for another 12k doesn't seem to be much of a sacrifice to me, but thats just me...