PDA

View Full Version : Rock or Rap?

Takezou
Aug 22, 2003, 08:23 PM
All right here it is: the two major genres of the music industry, which is better? Feel free to go at each others' throats.

If you like both then say so.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Takezou on 2003-08-22 18:24 ]</font>

AUTO_
Aug 22, 2003, 08:29 PM
Whatever floats your boat. Some people like rock, some like rap.

No reason in flaming others to try and prove an opinion into a point.

Wewt
Aug 22, 2003, 08:36 PM
Rap. It's pleasing to my ears. There really is no other explanation. That is all.

Takezou
Aug 22, 2003, 08:50 PM
On 2003-08-22 18:29, AUTO_ wrote:
Whatever floats your boat. Some people like rock, some like rap.

No reason in flaming others to try and prove an opinion into a point.

What about you AUTO_? EVERYBODY is entitled to their opinion.

Wewt
Aug 22, 2003, 09:31 PM
On 2003-08-22 18:23, Takezou wrote:
Feel free to go at each others' throats.

Yeah. Flame. Please.

Monomate
Aug 22, 2003, 09:42 PM
Rock...

specially Classic Rock...

i compare rap with techno...and i sometimes compare techno with disco...

it's sad...neither techno or disco really exist much anymore...

_Sinue_
Aug 22, 2003, 11:15 PM
Neither -

I prefer Jam Band music.

Suppa_Buddha
Aug 22, 2003, 11:20 PM
l2 0 < l<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Suppa_Buddha on 2003-08-22 21:22 ]</font>

Sagasu
Aug 22, 2003, 11:53 PM
Rock, better thought out lyrics. The amount of crappy rap artists out there that sell these meaningless empty records really piss me off.

Kent
Aug 23, 2003, 12:14 AM
Rock.

If I want to hear people just talking (which is all that rap really is), I'll turn on CNN, at least it's informative...

Sagasu
Aug 23, 2003, 01:09 AM
I swear Kent you are following me

Kent
Aug 23, 2003, 01:15 AM
I'm not following you, we just happen to go to the same threads.

Sagasu
Aug 23, 2003, 01:28 AM
U copied my Avatar Idea too, but still this is a rock or rap thread. Rock, anybody listen to Rush or Dream theater? wah?... I know theyre from the eighties but still....

Kent
Aug 23, 2003, 01:47 AM
Copied your avatar idea? I changed to this one because my previous one was getting old, and had done it before I knew of you as a user on PSOW.

Sagasu
Aug 23, 2003, 02:15 AM
Thats not the point! I am now a perfectly safe penguin and my freind is rapidly running out of limbs! "Oh no, how can I operate my digital watch!"

Guile
Aug 23, 2003, 04:09 AM
Both, but never any real mainstream bands or groups or artist, never really like anything ever played on MTV or BET.
With rock I can't take all these bands that just sound the same and complain about some girl in every song and call theirself punk and what not or just scream their guts out.
With rap, a lot of rapper's just stopped trying and just don't care what they rap about.

crazy_latino2
Aug 25, 2003, 07:22 PM
I voted for rap but i like latino rap. it seems more better and obviously i'm mexican http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif! actually it's not obvious. i could be puerto rican or cuban.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: crazy_latino2 on 2003-08-25 17:23 ]</font>

Dbc
Aug 25, 2003, 08:39 PM
definatly rap, most of the mainstream rappers DO suck though,especially rappers from st.louis(no offense to st.louis)

Sedyne
Aug 25, 2003, 08:48 PM
Rock, because

1: It's better
2: Lyrically it's not nearly as stupid as some of the rap I here.
3: i don't like you

crazy_latino2
Aug 26, 2003, 06:25 PM
On 2003-08-25 18:48, Sedyne wrote:

3: i don't like you

don't like who? Me?

Omni-SqwirL
Aug 27, 2003, 01:10 PM
On 2003-08-22 23:28, Sarunakai wrote:
U copied my Avatar Idea too, but still this is a rock or rap thread. Rock, anybody listen to Rush or Dream theater? wah?... I know theyre from the eighties but still....

Both are highly acclaimed by me. I love both....honestly...I'm listening to 6 degrees of Inner Turbulence right now http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif But rock all the way.

But I listen from a wide variety of rock except Hardcore...it makes talent look talentless by using talent to make noise...if that makes sense at all.

Back to the variety, anything with talent is worth listening to. But that varies amongst everyone in the world, so there is only one way of describing talent......if close to 99% of the world can't play it or do it or mimic it just as good or better...it's talent http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Omni-SqwirL on 2003-08-27 11:12 ]</font>

GuerillaPimp
Aug 27, 2003, 02:51 PM
Rap. Admittedly, a lotta of the so called "rappers" come out today, mainly rap about trash hopin to get rich quick. But im down with cat's like Jay-Z, DMX, Ludacris, Old School Wu-Tang. Cat's that actually appreciate the game and aint in it (just) for the paper.

Rock? to me, more like Crock! Goin to a primarily white HS, i heard most of the Rock/Metal bands, and to me they all sounded the same, and damn near vomited whenever someone played that garbage

Valleo
Aug 27, 2003, 03:20 PM
Anything where the lyrics have some substance. I dont mind love songs, but write something real, not some pop garbage-Britney Spears tripe. Oh and I dont give a f**k how many cars you have, what kind of champagne you drink, and please, please stop whining about how much it sucks that youre so famous.

So um, yeah, whether its rock or rap youre gonna get two sides for each.... the artists and the posers.. I guess my answer is a bit of bolth.

Genoa
Aug 27, 2003, 04:01 PM
Most people on that are on the computer alot like Rock. You know it too. Rap isn't music if you ask me. It's just people talking with sound in the background.

Delsaber
Aug 27, 2003, 05:55 PM
I would have to say rock. I love Mudvayne; not so much "Dig," but a lot of their other work such as World So Cold and Key to Nothing. I also listen to Marilyn Manson; the music, I don't like the videos to much. Killswitch Engage is nice. Their song "The Element of One" is nice..

Yep, rock.

crazy_latino2
Aug 27, 2003, 10:22 PM
I don't like rock, i'm not into the "c'mon evry1 bang you heads against the wall!" kinda stuff. and i like some of the rappers out there, but like i said i like latin rap better.

Nai_Calus
Aug 28, 2003, 12:01 AM
Broadway show tunes. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Heh. Rock, actually. I don't like most rap, although there are some exceptions here and there.

And the people saying it's just talking - Try doing it. It's not as easy as it sounds. I'm a fairly decent singer(Althogh my range has gone to hell, it used to be a bit over three octaves, and now it's only two and a half, I've let myself get out of practice. >.<), but if I try to do rap, I just can't manage it. Mad scene from Lucia di Lammermoor(Fairly difficult opera piece, if you didn't know)? Sure. Random rap song? Nope. Heh. It's not quite just talking.

DualHydra
Aug 28, 2003, 12:27 AM
what catagory does linkin park fit in...beh..i voted rap. rock is sometimes too crazy telling you to kill yourself and go abuse someone.

Neo_Squall105
Aug 28, 2003, 12:39 AM
"I don't like rock, i'm not into the "c'mon evry1 bang you heads against the wall!" kinda stuff."

"I dont give a f**k how many cars you have, what kind of champagne you drink, and please, please stop whining about how much it sucks that youre so famous."

I swear, I hear this same **** everyday

Artemidorus
Aug 28, 2003, 12:39 AM
Wow. I hate to say it Tidus, but Rap is so much worse for uh quote unquote bad lyrics. I don't listen to much rap, but what I do hear is almost ALWAYS dirty. Sorry to offend, but thats how it is. Also, what if we're just band nerds and like band/symphonic music huh? no fair http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif. Anyways, I have my problems and my likes with both types~I'm always a good centralist when it comes to things like this. ^o^ ciao!

Neo_Squall105
Aug 28, 2003, 12:43 AM
"rock is sometimes too crazy telling you to kill yourself and go abuse someone."

"Rap isn't music if you ask me. It's just people talking with sound in the background."

See what I mean. And Tidus....All you listen to is rock...

GuerillaPimp
Aug 28, 2003, 10:39 PM
Rap isn't music if you ask me. It's just people talking with sound in the background.

umm..isnt that ALL music is??

I don't listen to much rap, but what I do hear is almost ALWAYS dirty.

depends on who you listen to. same as with rock music. Maybe the peeps at school listened to the "darkside" of rock, just like a lot of people only "hear" the "darkside" of rap. I also find it ironic that rap "invokes violence" but at rock concerts they have mosh pits..wtf!?

Takezou
Aug 28, 2003, 11:17 PM
rock shouldn't be stereotyped as "bang your head on the wall, go kill yourself" music. The primary reason I prefer rock is the guitar. I play the guitar so I know what rock musicians love about what they do. The guitar, both acoustic and electric is an awesome instrument that sounds great, is fun to play, and takes a few years to get great at it. Also, I've even heard a few guitar riffs in some rap. whoa.

Anyway, not all rock-lover are in to the "kill yourself"(drop d tuning bs) stuff, in fact, the heaviest I'll listen to is System of a Down or Disturbed(great band). I'm usually open to any rock song though. My faves are: Metallica, the offspring, linkin park, Nirvana, blink-182, red hot chili peppers, stained, nickelback, and a lot of others.

also, has anyone ever noticed that in rap music videos they almost always show a "pimp" getting out of a fancy car in slo-mo with his chin up in the air and nodding his head? huh? anybody?

overall, rock ( at least the type I'm talking about) has better lyrics.

RuneLateralus
Aug 29, 2003, 01:10 AM
I never was a big listener to Rap music, but I respect it.

I was more of the grunger and metal head growing up.

crazy_latino2
Aug 29, 2003, 01:01 PM
actually if you really look at it, if there wasn't rock, there wouldn't be rap and vice versa. i know most of you guys are all like "I wish rap never existed!" and "Rock is dead ppl move on!" and crap like that. some rockstars use some traits from rap music and rappers use traits from rock music. so if you like rap then you like rock in away (EX. in nelly's song #1 he uses some guy from aero smith i think, don't get mad i don't know much bout them. and some rock stars sometimes have rappers in them like that one video original prankster.) So right know if some rappers and some rockstars saw this thread they would come in and tell all of our asses off.

Temjin-On
Aug 30, 2003, 05:11 PM
Oooh Rock! But wanan hear me rap?

Ok Here it is!:
Blah blah blah blah blah Bitches!! Hoes!! blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Bling Bling!!! blah blah blah blah blah Fuck you! Fuck This Fuck That! Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah DO Drugs! blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah! See I can rap! GIMME A GRAMMY!

lil_devil
Aug 30, 2003, 05:25 PM
I like some of both I guess,and then there's some that makes me wanna puke. Temjin-On you should think of a career in rap.

DarkWolf
Aug 30, 2003, 05:51 PM
I like only a smidgeon of both. I feel much of it is... too... *shrug* hedonistic and violent, for my tastes, in most cases.

I like lyricless music (in particular game music, electronica, tracked music, stuff-that'd-fit-well-in-Cyberpunk-games, and classical), Celtic, Medieval/Renaissance, and a little bit of everything else.

Temjin-On
Aug 30, 2003, 06:04 PM
On 2003-08-30 15:25, lil_devil wrote:
I like some of both I guess,and then there's some that makes me wanna puke. Temjin-On you should think of a career in rap.

You Really think so?
Then my rap name shall now be 25 CentMarsBarL-L-A-Z!

Shigecki
Aug 30, 2003, 10:09 PM
On 2003-08-28 23:10, RuneLateralus wrote:
I never was a big listener to Rap music, but I respect it.

I was more of the grunger and metal head growing up.

Ya me too, until I heard Public Enemy for the first time, opened up my mind to rap. Dude your little sig thing is freaking me out too.

eRUPT
Aug 30, 2003, 10:57 PM
Its funny how Rock people always say the same things about rap, when rap people tend to respect rock?

Anyhow. Most commercialized rap is basically the same thing. Thats not to say most commercialized rock is not all the same thing? Its a matter of what you know better alot of the times to see what is actually good music in the genre. Most genres all have crap in them, even when spoken about from a avid fan of the genre.

When in fact now some newer rock groups have gotten rap MC's to do their vocals but, right its crap. Thats so narrowminded.

Much good rap is based on jazz instrumentals. At least most of what I listen to or grew up listening to from 90 till now, 1993 being my favorite year in rap music probably till this day, with releases such as Guru's Jazzmatazz, Heiroglyphics albums, Pete Rock and CL Smooths ever so popular "T.R.O.Y", which I might note is the instrumental used more then almost any in music documentaries, many for rock.

Then there's actual jazz bands and rock bands that turned into straight rap bands. Take "The Roots" for example, they used all live instruments in their first albums, they were a chicago based jazz band. Many music groups actually purchase productions from them, many in R&B, including erickah badu and mary j blidge. Actually when they make a album they had usually junked about 50 beats they did not like and sold to the commercial artists for their own albums. But they are part of rap right? So according to your one-sided thinking they are crap? They are Jiggy? Right. You sound so educated by the statement its quite hilarious.

KRS-ONE. Actually teaches Philosophy, has written books on such, and uses all this in his rap albums. Has had rock based beats in his albums, and even a song crediting rock as being a respectable music genre.

I can easily use the same stereo type that all rappers are gang bangers by saying much like everyone else that all rockers are mindless headbanger hicks? Quite easily I can say this. But I wouldn't cause I feel I'm more educated than this and I can provide better evidense about what is good rather than what is bad. But hey I'd say about 5% of anyone out there is after the whole being educated thing so lemme get back to my post.

I have a great deal with rap with the matter of having its own culture behind it. Having the elements that make hip hop, and the fact that rap is only but one element, along side elements such as: graffiti, breakdancing, dj'n. Yeah I've seen a few rockers/skaters in my time doing any one of those 3 elements, wonder if they realize where it was originated from? I wonder if they respect that fact? I've been involved in almost all the elements of the culture. From organizing graffiti and breakdancing tourneyments to attending seminars in colleges by actual hiphop artists that have Ph.d's.

But whatever, everyone has their simple minded accusations that upon boredum will cause them to make a poll that will show how small the hamster turning the wheel in their head truly is.

I'm inspired, truly inspired by your vast thoughts.

crazy_latino2
Aug 31, 2003, 12:45 AM
erupt your completely <-spell check right. the head ganger remark i made was mindless. i take the head banger remark back. i didn't reall wanna make a bad remark but i saw every 1 else makin remarks so i thought "hey might as well!" . i hope i'm not the only person that understands what erupt is trying to say. betchya some guy who rocks is gonna say something bad bout rock or some guy who likes rap might say some thin bad bout rock. no one ever seems to understand.....

Dbc
Aug 31, 2003, 12:48 AM
On 2003-08-29 11:01, crazy_latino2 wrote:
actually if you really look at it, if there wasn't rock, there wouldn't be rap and vice versa. i know most of you guys are all like "I wish rap never existed!" and "Rock is dead ppl move on!" and crap like that. some rockstars use some traits from rap music and rappers use traits from rock music. so if you like rap then you like rock in away (EX. in nelly's song #1 he uses some guy from aero smith i think, don't get mad i don't know much bout them. and some rock stars sometimes have rappers in them like that one video original prankster.) So right know if some rappers and some rockstars saw this thread they would come in and tell all of our asses off.

Another great example is the all about the benjamins remix with aerosmith.

GuerillaPimp
Aug 31, 2003, 11:20 AM
eRUPT, nice point.

What I'm starting notice, is that most people commenting (including myself), are putting down the music genre they know little to nothing about. Me i lissen to Rap. and are often making stereotypical comments (Temjin-On). Now i could lower my self to those low standards and make stereotypical comments about rock/metal music. But i refrain for now. Like i said earlier, eRUPT, nice comment

Temjin-On
Aug 31, 2003, 11:24 AM
On 2003-08-31 09:20, GuerillaPimp wrote:
eRUPT, nice point.

What I'm starting notice, is that most people commenting (including myself), are putting down the music genre they know little to nothing about. Me i lissen to Rap. and are often making stereotypical comments (Temjin-On). Now i could lower my self to those low standards and make stereotypical comments about rock/metal music. But i refrain for now. Like i said earlier, eRUPT, nice comment

Yea I tend to make comments like that, but hey, I was raised on all forms of Rock, but I would also like to say that there is some rap i like, but the majority of the generic rappers that I wanted to sound like, dont really deserve the praise they get.

odie2088
Aug 31, 2003, 07:04 PM
ROCK OWNZ J00 F000! i dont like rap. for one simple fact...most of it doesnt have any guitar, in fact, none that i know of doesnt really have guitar, and if you consider lp rap...uhhh....are you smoking something? i think you are if u think lp is rap...

BogusKun
Aug 31, 2003, 07:28 PM
Rock music made music
http://moonglow.nu/gardenia/images/band3/malice34.jpg

It's admittable... I'm not even white kids... But the Hard Power of this old rock group...
Malice Mizer and their classic song Beast of Blood, Still lives on and will carry the torch.

Takezou
Aug 31, 2003, 11:12 PM
eRUPT wrote:

But whatever, everyone has their simple minded accusations that upon boredum will cause them to make a poll that will show how small the hamster turning the wheel in their head truly is.

I'm inspired, truly inspired by your vast thoughts.

Hey thanks! I too am touched by how much you care!
Don't worry, Kensington(the hamster) and I will continue to inspire many people in the years to come with our vast thoughts! Much thanks and have a nice day!!

Oh, are you a Miyazaki fan by the way?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Takezou on 2003-08-31 21:13 ]</font>

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Aug 31, 2003, 11:42 PM
On 2003-08-30 15:11, Temjin-On wrote:

Ok Here it is!:
Blah blah blah blah blah Bitches!! Hoes!! blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Bling Bling!!! blah blah blah blah blah Fuck you! Fuck This Fuck That! Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah DO Drugs! blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah! See I can rap! GIMME A GRAMMY!

See, that right there just shows how much of an idiot you are. I hate people who stereotype ANY genre of music. If you don't like a specific genre, try saying "I do not enjoy listening to (insert genre here)" instead of "omfglolro><o|2s I lesten to rokk!". Furthermore, it isn't practical to judge something or someone you know nothing about.

Dime
Sep 1, 2003, 12:24 AM
Rap is better than rock. Game over.

Takezou
Sep 1, 2003, 10:44 AM
On 2003-08-31 22:24, Dime wrote:

better at being worse.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Takezou on 2003-09-01 17:26 ]</font>

Temjin-On
Sep 1, 2003, 05:12 PM
On 2003-08-31 21:42, _xX_Frosty_Xx_ wrote:

On 2003-08-30 15:11, Temjin-On wrote:

Ok Here it is!:

See, that right there just shows how much of an idiot you are. I hate people who stereotype ANY genre of music. If you don't like a specific genre, try saying "I do not enjoy listening to (insert genre here)" instead of "omfglolro><o|2s I lesten to rokk!". Furthermore, it isn't practical to judge something or someone you know nothing about.

Anyway, if you would have read my posts after that, which you didnt, you would have saw that I also listen to some rap

Kent
Sep 1, 2003, 05:30 PM
On 2003-09-01 08:44, Takezou wrote:

better at being worse.

....oooh, burnt.

Oh come on, you people could at least try to make mature comments...

Takezou
Sep 1, 2003, 07:25 PM
On 2003-09-01 15:30, Kent wrote:

On 2003-09-01 08:44, Takezou wrote:

better at being worse.

....oooh, burnt.

Oh come on, you people could at least try to make mature comments...

But we dont.