PDA

View Full Version : Any way to transfer chars to a different mem card?

Kezay
Aug 23, 2003, 11:39 PM
Well after having PSO for GCN since Christmas I realized it was loaded onto a Nintendo 251 or 256 mem card or whatever. Anyway is there anyway to transfer the data to a different card? Or even the character data? Someone told me it had something to do with the system file...but I'm not stupid...I might end up mucking something up....well anyone...anyone?

Master_of_Dragons
Aug 23, 2003, 11:40 PM
NOPE, its not possible.

Solidus_Snake
Aug 23, 2003, 11:42 PM
Another negative about the damned memory cards

Kezay
Aug 23, 2003, 11:47 PM
Gah...why does SonicTeam have to be so stubborn...I wish it was possible to move the data even if we can't copy it. Oh well...At least I know the space will be there if I need it. But that sucks, I tried to keep PSO on an isolated mem card.

st4pl3s
Aug 24, 2003, 02:35 AM
well if you have a gex drive you can... o never mind.. if everyone had gex drives then hacking would be so abundant even tho it already is http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Synch
Aug 24, 2003, 03:42 AM
ST has prevented any means of copying characteres to other regular memory cards so as to stop any potential duping. It would be nice if they came up with a way to back-up your saves so as to prevent corruption, but that'll never happen.

echo-2003
Aug 24, 2003, 09:33 AM
On 2003-08-23 21:42, Solidus_Snake wrote:
Another negative about the damned memory cards

It's not because of memory cards that we can't move our data. Sonic Team is the reason why we can't. Curse them I say.

Neoluke12
Aug 24, 2003, 09:41 AM
This is classed as a bad case of bad luck, why would you want pso on a isolated memory card??? Thats just a waste of money and space!!!!!!

SubstanceD
Aug 24, 2003, 09:53 AM
I personally think this is a stupid idea.

I currently live in Europe and all my PSO data is currently on GC memory card that is formatted towards the GC PAL system.

I will be moving very soon and if I have any say in where I will go then I will need to transfer all my character data ( or at the very least please allow me to transfer my hard earned legit equipment ) over to my NTSC ( US ) Gamecube and last time I checked NTSC Gamecubes could not read data from a PAL formated memory card and vice versa so at the very least Sonic Team should have included a feature where you could at leats send data from 1 memory card to the other. Now if I want to continue playing PSO I am going to have to begin all over again from scratch, no wonder I am begining to lose interest in this stupid game, it's just too bloody annoying for it's own good, all the crap a gamer has to put up with in order to play. No other game onthe planet put's it's gamers through this much crap.

Dillon
Aug 24, 2003, 04:17 PM
I would suggest you look for/order the USB memory card thing for GC. That's the only way I know of to backup/transfer PSO Data to and from memory cards.

Although I see that most of you frown upon this, due to how incredibly easy hacking those files would be while on the HD, I personally don't care. If I had to do something like that in this case, I'd do it.

Anyway. That and a Dexdrive is the only ways I know of..but did they even make a Dexdrive for GC? Last time I saw anything about those was with the VHS tape that came with my old N64 GameShark..oh well.

Para
Aug 24, 2003, 09:58 PM
i wish i could transfer my character...

VioletSkye
Aug 24, 2003, 11:31 PM
On 2003-08-24 14:17, Dillon wrote:
I would suggest you look for/order the USB memory card thing for GC. That's the only way I know of to backup/transfer PSO Data to and from memory cards.

Although I see that most of you frown upon this, due to how incredibly easy hacking those files would be while on the HD, I personally don't care. If I had to do something like that in this case, I'd do it.

Actually, its not that easy to edit the saves files considering they are encrypted. So unless you figure out the key, you won't be able to edit much.

Outrider
Aug 24, 2003, 11:32 PM
Yeah... the Dexdrive was only for the previous generation of consoles. Of course... these USB cards sound like they accomplish the same thing. Also, the SD card adaptor or whatever it's called would do the same thing, but last I heard it was only confirmed in Japan, and even that I'm not so sure about.

Logical2u
Aug 25, 2003, 07:42 AM
You can transfer character data, but only 3, and they are only saved as temporary characters. I've heard that if you don't return them to their original memory card before you turn off the console all the item data is deleted for the Temp. Chars.

Steps!
Insert 1/2/3/ extra controllers.
Insert a second memory card in Slot 2.
Go to Offline/Multiplayer.
Select one of the three green slots.
Choose one of your characters on Slot Two.
Select Transfer.
Start the game.
Make sure you return them to their original slot afterwards!

DarkShinjaru
Aug 25, 2003, 09:01 AM
You can transfer character data, but only 3, and they are only saved as temporary characters. I've heard that if you don't return them to their original memory card before you turn off the console all the item data is deleted for the Temp. Chars.

Yes, it's happened to me lol.
I still had my char on my friend's card, luckily he never deleted the temp. char data, so I got all my items back. Sucked being lvl 90 with just bare hands..

The situation was worse for dreamcast; 1 memory card= 1 char, no offline transferring. I found so much stuff with my HUcast offline, even the rarest of rares. But that was v2, didnt wanna pay to play.

Wood_Golem
Aug 27, 2003, 03:58 AM
I also lost a HUcast to this though it was on the xbox it had the same effect got a lvl 103 HUcast playing with my m8s on a m8s xbox and when me and my other m8s get the game we couldnt transfer our characters through the mem cards only use them as temporary characters that was very depressing though i didnt hae great rares or anything it was the fact that i lost a character that i worked a lot on to somthing stupid cause i made a character at my m8s yet it leaves the question if i would have even made this HUnewearl that has given me so much out of the game. (and on a positive note i kept my god mind and the rest of my rares woohoo! *sigh*)

edwinsu
Aug 28, 2003, 02:48 AM
anyone have any idea on if a character can be transfered from one xbox to another??? because i've been playing on my friends xbox since psox day 1 and i want to keep my characters but also buy my own xbox. hmmm problems

-edwinsu-

Kezay
Aug 29, 2003, 06:26 PM
Ok for those who don't understand why I was asking, it is because I loaded PSO on my 251 card which also happens to contain data for all of my GCN games...the reason I would have wanted to move it to a 59 Mem Card is so that if the card corrupts, only PSO corrupts and not any of my other game data files.

Shimarisu
Aug 30, 2003, 12:14 AM
On 2003-08-24 07:53, SubstanceD wrote:
I personally think this is a stupid idea.

I currently live in Europe and all my PSO data is currently on GC memory card that is formatted towards the GC PAL system.

I will be moving very soon and if I have any say in where I will go then I will need to transfer all my character data ( or at the very least please allow me to transfer my hard earned legit equipment ) over to my NTSC ( US ) Gamecube and last time I checked NTSC Gamecubes could not read data from a PAL formated memory card and vice versa so at the very least Sonic Team should have included a feature where you could at leats send data from 1 memory card to the other. Now if I want to continue playing PSO I am going to have to begin all over again from scratch, no wonder I am begining to lose interest in this stupid game, it's just too bloody annoying for it's own good, all the crap a gamer has to put up with in order to play. No other game onthe planet put's it's gamers through this much crap.

You don't have to remake your characters. THere are numerous solutions.

1. Buy a component video cable for the Gamecube. While TVs in the UK need RGB to run a non-standard signal like NTSC, TVs in the US and Japan use component video. You can run your cube in PAL 60 via this cable fine, on any NTSC TV with the component video plugs.

2. Get hold of a Joytech RGB monitor. These are superb RGB monitors for Gamecube that work in 50 or 60Hz. It does mean playing PSO on a 4 inch monitor, but they are SO nice that you are unlikely to care. I play PSO on mine all the time. You can buy them easily in the UK for 90 quid. Worth it for LCD of this quality.

3. Buy a graphics card for PC that works in NTSC or PAL. This will plug into your PC and let you use the PAL signal on your monitor. I have one of these, a Radion All in Wonder. You can buy them in the UK and they work overseas. The only problem you would have is getting US Tv on them, but I don't know if the US model works in PAL as well as NTSC.

You need to do this, because even though the GC can be played in 60Hz (hold down B while loading the game to do so) the colour signal is still PAL. The NTSC TV won't be able to seperate the colours from PAL encoding, so you need a device that reads PAL, or a cable that seperates the colour for you.

The next thing you need is either a step up transformer for NTSC>UK voltage, OR, a simple replacement Gamecube power supply from Nintendo, in the country you are moving to.

You can handle all this pretty cheaply. There is no need to replace your cube, your characters, or your copy of PSO. A UK PSO will work fine overseas, there's no firewall on different copies of the game for different territories. I'm off to Japan in a week, will be taking my UK cube, UK PSO, Joytech monitor and a Japanese GC power supply. This all works fine.

Oh and the meory card issue is not Sega's fault. It's Nintendo's. DON'T, as somebody suggested, buy a USB card. You can't transfer anything with USB, you can only backup and restore files already there. You can't reformat the card and write back, because if you format the card you delete its original serial number, which is encoded on the PSO save. Once you do this, the game will claim that the file is corrupt.

- Shimarisu

Soukosa
Aug 30, 2003, 12:51 AM
On 2003-08-24 21:32, Outrider wrote:
Also, the SD card adaptor or whatever it's called would do the same thing, but last I heard it was only confirmed in Japan, and even that I'm not so sure about.

From what I've heard, it can't act like a normal memory card but the game has to specificly support it. Currently, there is only one such game, which isn't available in the US, thus, explaining why the adapter isn't avaiable in the US.