PDA

View Full Version : nYko memory cards...a myth?

-LordNikon-
Aug 27, 2003, 07:01 AM
I know many people say that 3rd party memory cards corrupt more than nintendo memory cards. Currently I am using nYko cards, I have 2 8MB cards. 1 card has 3 characters on it, and the 2nd has my other game saves and is used for screenshots.

I have put well over 200 hours in on the 3 characters I am currently working on. I have never received an FSOD, nor have I ever recieved a corruption.

However while playing online in both a game, and in the lobby, I have recieve pulsing power outages during storms. They both occurred within the timespan of 2 weeks. I am not talking about a sudden power outage where the lights and all power just shuts off. I am talking about FLICKERING. I saw my TV go on and off like a strobe light. The first time I lost no items at all. The second time I only lost whatever was unequiped on the character in play.

So not only was the DSL modem reset but a power surge was flickering in and out of my gamecube. To me this seemed like a pretty good test that the memory card doesn't corrupt as easily as people think.

Just providing some food for thought thats all. I'm sure people will come up with their own stories about this card, but I jsut thought I would bring up some evidence that contradicts the card as being a 'bad' card.

_Sinue_
Aug 27, 2003, 07:08 AM
I also have a nYco 8mb card, and my experience is the exact opposite. I cannot take ANY characters on that card online without being corrupted when I go offline. I've never been able to successfully log off without the card destorying the save file.

Offline, it works fine though.

Shimarisu
Aug 27, 2003, 07:40 AM
Datel 59 block cards work fine. It's all to do with whether the card has compression. If you are getting a third party card, make sure the storage on it is low. If it's high, odds on the data is compressed. Now with PSO saves already being compressed, that could cause problems. I use Nintendo and Datel, and ironically I get more trouble with one Nintendo card I have. My main card, 59 blocks, is Nintendo. And it frequently reports that my data is corrupt. The contacts on it seem somehow worn, because I can reset, blow in the card and it works fine, but that does not stop my heart lurching EVERY time I get the corruption message.

I also get no trouble with the USB card, I don't know if it uses compression or not - though at least I can back up my data on that one.

- Shimarisu