PDA

View Full Version : betrayal at PSO

magenta
Mar 27, 2001, 11:09 AM
ahh..
i recently saw a preview of a new dreamcast rpg...

"skies of arcadia"..

well all i could do is...drrooolll..

When i get it, my time at pso might dimish..

Danger_Girl
Mar 27, 2001, 11:16 AM
I've got Skies. Trust me you'll love it. It doesn't have all the appeal of on-line RPG's of course. The random battles get dull. But the story line and cute humor were enough to keep me glued to it for many hours. The ship to ship battles were really cool toohttp://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif.

Bishop
Mar 27, 2001, 11:16 AM
Ahhh Skies of Arcadia. I just finished that game about a week ago after dumping it during the middle when PSO came out. Big mistake on my part, but I did finish it I sure hope they make a sequel but I doubt it since Dreamcast is on its last legs.

MaximumBeef
Mar 27, 2001, 11:18 AM
I said that when I bought Grandia 2 at the same time as PSO...now all I ever do is play PSO while thinking I should be doing something else, then coming to work and reading PSO forums all day. And so the circle continues...

One day...one day I'll break its hold...

Nynaeve
Mar 27, 2001, 11:28 AM
http://dreamcast.ign.com/news/10713.html - they announced a confirmation of the sequel to Skies of Arcadia. I guess I'll have to try that one next, we just bought Grandia 2, but that one my son WON'T let me near yet, he says it's HIS turn to level up first (he finds it a bit easier, at 7 yrs old, to figure out the strategy on Grandia than on PSO http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif )

magenta
Mar 27, 2001, 11:50 AM
awwwwww....

Core
Mar 27, 2001, 03:54 PM
i really don't think that an offline rpg could beat an online rpg. except for Xenogears...man that game had a good story line.

Samuel-Vimes
Mar 27, 2001, 04:32 PM
Eternal Arcadia (The Japanese name, which I think they should have kept when the game was released in the US) is a very good rpg imho and is definitely worth getting. I bought it when it came out here in the U.S. a few months back and it was a thoroughly enjoyable rpg. You won?t regret buying it.

ANTI-plyrz4222
Mar 27, 2001, 04:41 PM
yea i played Grandia 2 it was awesome much better then part 1 and its hard to believe but i rented it and got to were u fight the bosses over again and then stopped....................... wen i came back from PSO to actually beat i find out my saved game is gone hmmmmmmm wasnt that VMU my uncles that lousy jerk deleted it along with my saved ShenMue grrrrrr oh well good thing i ran up his GameSquare bill hehehe

Viro
Mar 27, 2001, 11:56 PM
speaking of good RPGs, Record of Lodoss War is a damn fine RPG. I cant believe people gave that game a bad rating.

Viro
Mar 27, 2001, 11:58 PM
speaking of good RPGs, Record of Lodoss War is a damn fine RPG. I cant believe people gave that game a bad rating.

JJ
Mar 28, 2001, 12:09 AM
I think Grandia II is alot better RPG then Skies of Arcadia. But some people might flame me for saying this haha. I think its true the characters in Grandia II(Milllienia.. ahhh) and Battle System(one of the best ever) just rule! The story was very unpredictable as well.

Samuel-Vimes
Mar 28, 2001, 12:28 AM
Grandia II was good, but I like Eternal Arcadia much better.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif Its just a matter of opinions.

Record of Lodoss War, gonna have to get that next. Oh, BTW, I believe that Eternal Arcadia II is still on schedule to be released on the DC. Hope that remains true.

PowerSlave
Mar 28, 2001, 03:44 AM
Skies has to be one of my favorite console RPGs of all time. The characters, story, world design, IMHO beat the pants off of Grandia II.
In G2 I could give a damn about Ryudo and going through very very linear levels with no freedom to explore. The story however does get a little more interesting towards the end, but it did not have me hooked like Skies of Arcadia.
Record of Lodoss War is a good game so far as I have played into it, seems very Diablo-esque but with more plot driven gameplay. Definately worth a look.

Enjoy Skies!

MaximumBeef
Mar 28, 2001, 07:01 AM
I'd have to agree that Skies of Arcadia looks like being more innovative than Grandia 2, but Grandia 2 is nice and "old skool" with updated graphics. The characters are pretty good as well...and currently act as my source for PSO character names...it's also a lot more interesting than tired old Final Fantasy IX.

The music is dreadful (what is it with Sega and poodle-rock?), but Mareg does grunt a lot when he runs around, which is disturbing.

Bishop
Mar 28, 2001, 07:20 AM
Unfortunately, I myself have to go back to the SNES for the last great RPG. Squares masterpiece Final Fantasy 6 (or 3 for US). And then a close second is Crono Trigger. This is just my opinion of course. Well back to FF6....this game absolutly amazed me. The characters, story, the villians. It had everything....humor, sadness, joy and hope. And of couse the music was Squares best (before Tactics came along). I still dust off the old SNES and fire this one up. It's a shame Squaresoft is going back to the FF8 style RPG. As long as they keep this up, FF6 will still be king.

Core
Mar 28, 2001, 02:06 PM
I still have to say my favorite is Xenogers....

Samuel-Vimes
Mar 28, 2001, 03:27 PM
FFIII (VI in Japan) was and still the best FF game imho. While I love Eternal Arcadia, for me, the best rpg out there is still Panzer Dragoon Saga (Even though it only takes about 20 hours to beat it). This is an amazing game that never had the kind of exposure that it should have. 4 whole CDs of rpg pleasure, fantastic story, and innovative combat system. *pauses to wipe off drool* Panzer Dragoon Saga came out near the end of the Saturn?s life and only a small amount was released here in the US (about 10,000 copies, not sure about the numbers though). Anyone who wants my copy is going to have to pry it out of my kung-fu death-grip.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Now if we?re talking about Strategy RPG, hands-down, the Shining Force series is my favorite of all time. Must get the Smash Pack when it comes out. And even though its $40, Phantasy Star II and Shining Force 1 is definitely worth it.