PDA

View Full Version : Are You Getting FFXI?

Reenee
Aug 30, 2003, 03:05 PM
Bought my Network Adapter yesterday for my PS2, so I'll be getting it the instant it comes out. Who else here that I may know will join me in newfound escapades?

Addition: Actually, PC FFXI-ers will be playing it sooner than PS2 users this October. Thanks once again, Sony.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reenee on 2003-08-30 13:08 ]</font>

ginko990
Aug 30, 2003, 04:07 PM
I was planning on it but then i got the beta and i dont really like it. Though apparently I get a free copy of ffxi for being a beta tester.

Reenee
Aug 30, 2003, 04:10 PM
Can I have your free copy? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif''

DarkWolf
Aug 30, 2003, 04:29 PM
Naw, it's got an all-girl cast (despite the fact I'm female, I can't stand "girly" games).

Logical2u
Aug 30, 2003, 04:31 PM
On 2003-08-30 14:29, DarkWolf wrote:
Naw, it's got an all-girl cast (despite the fact I'm female, I can't stand "girly" games).

Thats FFX 2, not FF11.

Hmm.
I have a nice idea lined up but I'm not gonna buy it if they make ya pay a monthly fee like PSO. I mean, I'm gonna have to shell out cash for the HDD, the NWA, and the game, what else should I have to pay for (glare)?

Reenee
Aug 30, 2003, 04:36 PM
On 2003-08-30 14:31, Logical2u wrote:
...what else should I have to pay for (glare)?

Cheat-free gaming...online.

Inu_Ranma
Aug 30, 2003, 05:11 PM
I swore off Final Fantasy when they announced all of the '2's

Aunt_Betty
Aug 30, 2003, 08:23 PM
im not getting it ne way cause u need a hard drive disk thingy......oh i s in tips and tricks issue 103

_Sinue_
Aug 30, 2003, 08:54 PM
I'm not getting it. I've never been a huge fan of Final Fantasy.. so the appeal of it just being an online FF is lost on me. As a game, it looks to be about the same setup as EverQuest. The main meat of the game is all about the EXP grind.. but unfortunately it has a semi-realtime based combat engine similar to EQ. You select a target, attack.. and wait to see if you win. You stand in one spot and watch your character whack away at the monster while using special abilities that are on a timer so you can only use them once and then have to wait for them to "recharge". Ugh.

What I really like about PSO, is that combat is in real-time. Stats aren't nearly everything.. you have to take into account your position, angle of attack, versitility of the weapon yer using, attack speed, and you also have to know how your enemies attack so you can dodge them. I think we've all seen games were some player will come in with massively duped items, a pure POW mag, 3 God/Powers, ect.. and get severly beaten down, lol, and then beg to be revived.

In short, the combat in PSO is actually FUN.. so long as you don't "Uber out" to the point where you kill everything in one hit anyhow. Then it's just pointless.

I also don't like the communication system. One of my biggest annoyances in EQ is that you have to rely on the dialoge box to see what people are saying. Gives you the feeling that you're playing a offline game while having an IRC window open so you can talk... not to mention that it's easy (for me anyhow) to loose track of what's being said in the window while engaged in combat. Word bubbles are much better IMO, and give the feel that your character is actually talking and interacting with the other players as opposed to just standing around looking dumb while you chat in IRC. Unfortunately, FFXI is going to have the same dialouge box as most other MMORPGs.

Transportation I can also see being an issue.. and hopefully they won't go the segregation route that EQ does. If I have a friend online that I want to meet.. I don't want to have to hitchhike for 3 hours across the virtual globe just to meet up with him. PSO's instantanious transportation has really spoiled me. I'm sure FFXI will impliment a feature like "coachmen", but even with those it often takes quite a while for players to actually meet up with each other.

I dunno how the online structure of FFXI works, but hopefully it won't be segregated. In EQ, characters are NOT transferable from server to server. Instead, you have to create all new characters for each game world. So if your friend has a high level character on ProudPine Outpost, and your high lvl character is in Castle Lightwolf and you want to go on a epic quest together.. you're screwed. You can't do it. You have to make a whole new character on his server and then level him up... which takes quite a bit of time. Not to mention that all inter-server communication is disabled. Unless you know your friend is going to be online ahead of time.. there's no way of knowing weither he's online or not. You can't search him, can't mail him, can't message him.. nothing. Whereas in PSO you can potentially anywhere and meet anyone online at any given time.. in EQ you'll most likely never meet even a fraction of the players online. If FFXI is not server segregated like that.. please correct me.

For all those reasons, and more, I won't be buying FFXI for either the PS2 or the PC. True Fantasy Live Online for the Xbox seems to be a winner though, which many optional things to do to advance your character other than the standard worn out XP grind.

Reenee
Aug 30, 2003, 10:44 PM
I respect Sinue's opinions.

I want to correct you on your comment about meeting players:

Firstly, that's really freaking absurd of EQ! How are you supposed to encourage co-op play with your best players!?

Secondly, FFXI does offer something similar to PSO's Guild Card system, but you have to earn that privelege. -_-;;

Wewt
Aug 31, 2003, 06:54 AM
I want to get it, but it depends on a lot of other personal things I have to sort out first. Main reason I want to get it is because I have a lot of old PSO friends that looking forward to playing on it. It'll be nice for us all to play the same game again. Also, I've never really played an MMORPG.

ginko990
Aug 31, 2003, 10:14 AM
On 2003-08-30 15:11, Inu_Ranma wrote:
I swore off Final Fantasy when they announced all of the '2's

All of the "2"s?

X-2 is only one im aware of and so far its looking like a great game.

SubstanceD
Aug 31, 2003, 10:27 AM
I won't be getting it either. I don't like the fact that it is Online Only and I am not keen on certain aspects of the gameplay. At the end of the day I only have so much time and so much money and I just don't concider Final Fantasy XI to be a must have game.

I wan't to give it a try since I don't feel right about dismissing a game without ever having played it but in order to try I would have to invest in the Game, a Modem, an online playing fee ( like PSO's Hunter licence ), somthing to comunicate with like a keyboard and possibly further additions like a hard drive, etc. Now if I had lots and lots of money and all the time in the world I would gladly give FFXI a try.

DarkWolf
Aug 31, 2003, 10:33 AM
On 2003-08-30 14:31, Logical2u wrote:

On 2003-08-30 14:29, DarkWolf wrote:

Thats FFX 2, not FF11.

Ok, I stand corrected. ^_^

Voodoochild
Aug 31, 2003, 04:16 PM
I might get it, but i dont know yet. Maybe my girlfriend gets it before me. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Inu_Ranma
Aug 31, 2003, 04:46 PM
They have announced FFX2, FF72, and FF92, as I recall. I'm at least fully certain of 7 and 10 2, that's 2 2's to many, in my opinion. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Elvendar
Aug 31, 2003, 10:15 PM
I'll be getting it for PC, since snapple says it's such a great game.

Kent
Sep 1, 2003, 06:12 AM
On 2003-08-31 14:46, Inu_Ranma wrote:
They have announced FFX2, FF72, and FF92, as I recall. I'm at least fully certain of 7 and 10 2, that's 2 2's to many, in my opinion. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Umm... you know they smacked the rumor of Final Fantasy VII-2, and this is the first I've heard of IX-2... where did that one come from?

I'll be getting Final Fantasy XI though, I've been reading up on this game since before it's Japanese release, and it might be the first tolerable MMORPG to date.

RuneLateralus
Sep 1, 2003, 07:03 AM
I imported the game, and the only thing that made me quit is that I was having a hard time with partying and communicating...but this was with the Japanese gamers. I am I might not have that problem in the US version.