PDA

View Full Version : getting an Ip from dhcp server.when using a BBA

Anonymous
Mar 28, 2001, 12:58 AM
first off i am very new to networking. now on that note i have a BBA, and a dsl line. i have an external modem and coming from that i have a 4 port hub. then coming from that i have lines going to my DC and my PC. now is this correct? or do i need another line going from my pc to the hub? now my next issue is should i leave all the settings at 0.0.0.0. or should i enter in some numbers? and last i only have win98 version 1 so i dont have internet sharing in my windows program, so what is the best program to use? i tried winroutelite and i couldnt even get the internet on my pc when it was running. i had to turn it off just to put in this cry for help heh. well i prolly have more problems but this is as far as ive gotten. any help would be appreciated.

Anonymous
Mar 30, 2001, 02:59 AM
i beleive i have the same problem..."failed to retrieve ip address from dhcp"... someone please help!!

Gilder
Mar 31, 2001, 09:32 PM
My personal recommendation would be to fill out the info manually. In order to retrieve the info, go to Start > Run > winipcfg.

MSZ-016
Apr 3, 2001, 02:58 PM
hi,

there's a bug in getting an IP from a DHCP server since the BBA is sort of unknown device in the network. if you want to use the DHCP server on your network, under the subnet mask (in BBP) instead of leaving it blank 0.0.0.0, type in your mask here (most likely 255.255.255.0) and leave everything 0.0.0.0

that'll fix the problem with DHCP and everything will fine. happy bba'ing. =_)

msz-016