PDA

View Full Version : Another 'I'm going online soon and have questions' thread

Kadou
Sep 1, 2003, 12:56 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure I'll have enough money to buy all the networking crap I need to go online within a month. Now I have just a few questions.

1: It might have been better if I posted this in tech support, but, does anyone know if I'd be able to get online if I had my GameCube connected to the Internet via a BBA, a 30-foot ethernet cable, a USB/Ethernet adapter, a USB Hub (adds extra USB ports), my computer, a wireless network, and another computer?

2: If yes to number 1, would it be plug-and-play?

3: If yes to number 1, would I experience any lag or errors?

4: If yes to 1, would there be any extra information I'd have to enter in the Network Setup on PSO?

5: Is it true that you're more likely to find rares online?

6: I heard somewhere that when playing online the whole group in a game will be affected by one Section ID. Is this true, and if so, who's Section ID?

7: When in the lobbies, does everyone's name and level just float above their head or something, and if so, doesn't that get kind of annoying if there are too many people? Eh, I guess that was a pretty dumb question, but I'd still like it answered.

8: Is FSOD-X really all that common?

9: This doesn't have to be answered, seeing as I know everyone's just going to say something like 'Nobody really knows, but there are a lot of rumors', but is there any way to distinguish FSOD-X from FSOD, and if so, any way to prevent it?

Thank you to anyone who replies.

Ketchup345
Sep 1, 2003, 01:06 PM
6) First players ID
8) I heard about as often as finding a Purplenum Psycho Wand
9) I think the FSOD-X has a buzzing sound, not sure though, but take out the network/phone cable sometimes helps, and have a somewhat short inactive-> logout time also helps sometimes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2003-09-01 11:06 ]</font>

Symbios
Sep 1, 2003, 01:07 PM
1. Not sure lol
2. umm i dunno
3. umm i dunno
4. ohhh kayyy
5. no
6. uhh no thats bull crap.
7. you can change whats floating on top of their heads, including nothing.
8. FSOD can be quite common, but FSOD-X isnt.
9. FSOD is only when it freezes. FSOD-X is if it freezes during the a save. oh yeah, and if you freeze during a double save...

So you enter a game and you freeze at the second save it happened to me once but i found a way to get around it. This only works for when you freeze at the second save if your power goes off while saving or you dc before the second save your on your own lol. When you fsod all you do is open the gc disc tray pull out your memory card and turn off power its that simple. Now i know some of you are like no way hes full of bs but believe me ive tried this and it does work. I know this isnt a glitch or code or nothin but hey who wouldnt like to know this info if they ever corrupt. As for coming out of the bank and freezing dont worry about that you havent corrupted you just lost whatever you had in your inventory that wasnt equiped. Well if you still dont believe me and you do freeze one day what do you have to lose by trying this your char would be gone anyways.

VioletSkye
Sep 1, 2003, 01:25 PM
On 2003-09-01 10:56, Kadou wrote:
Well, I'm pretty sure I'll have enough money to buy all the networking crap I need to go online within a month. Now I have just a few questions.

1: It might have been better if I posted this in tech support, but, does anyone know if I'd be able to get online if I had my GameCube connected to the Internet via a BBA, a 30-foot ethernet cable, a USB/Ethernet adapter, a USB Hub (adds extra USB ports), my computer, a wireless network, and another computer?

2: If yes to number 1, would it be plug-and-play?

3: If yes to number 1, would I experience any lag or errors?

4: If yes to 1, would there be any extra information I'd have to enter in the Network Setup on PSO?

5: Is it true that you're more likely to find rares online?

6: I heard somewhere that when playing online the whole group in a game will be affected by one Section ID. Is this true, and if so, who's Section ID?

7: When in the lobbies, does everyone's name and level just float above their head or something, and if so, doesn't that get kind of annoying if there are too many people? Eh, I guess that was a pretty dumb question, but I'd still like it answered.

8: Is FSOD-X really all that common?

9: This doesn't have to be answered, seeing as I know everyone's just going to say something like 'Nobody really knows, but there are a lot of rumors', but is there any way to distinguish FSOD-X from FSOD, and if so, any way to prevent it?

Thank you to anyone who replies.

1. yes
2. more than likely, at least mine was.
3. Impossible to answer. How would anyone here possibly know if you will experience lag. That falls on your ISP and your pings. I can say that generally BB is not nearly as laggy but it depends on whether you join another game or host. Also you will generally log on alot faster and load quests faster obviously. As for connection errors, who knows? Unless someone was able to physically look at your connection its impossible to tell if you will encounter any problems. If you do though, post them in Tech support with as much info as you can and I'm sure someone who has experienced something similiar can help you.
4. Depends. Probably won't have to worry about it, but there are a number of factors involved so you'll need to wait and see.
5. There are more enemies to face online, so that will help in finding rares. But I believe the drop rates are the same online and offline. (Maybe Sounomi can verify this for me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif )
6. The drops for the online game will be controlled by the section ID of the person who created the game. If that person leaves, The drop rate will still continue to follow their section id.
7. You can cycle through different overhead displays for info. One of the options will remove all info above their heads.
8. Personally I have only experienced FSOD once or twice in the entire time I've played and I've never been corrupted (FSODX)
9. nope. Although BB users I have heard experience FSOD quite abit less and also people will recommend using an official Nintendo memory card as opposed to a third party card.

Hope to see you online soon. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ketchup345
Sep 1, 2003, 01:38 PM
6. The drops for the online game will be controlled by the section ID of the person who created the game. If that person leaves, The drop rate will still continue to follow their section id.

I thought I read somewhere here that once the first person leaves, the drops switch to the new first players ID if the team goes into a new area.

Kadou
Sep 1, 2003, 01:40 PM
On 2003-09-01 11:25, VioletSkye wrote:

9. nope. Although BB users I have heard experience FSOD quite abit less and also people will recommend using an official Nintendo memory card as opposed to a third party card.

I already have heard many times that I'd be best off using an official memory card, but unfortunetly I've already gotten my character pretty high offline (at least in my opinion) and I'd rather not start a new one unless it's absolutely necessary. This brings me to another question that isn't really all that important and doesn't need to be answered. I forgot what brand my memory card I have. I threw away everthing that came with it, so all that I can say is that it's black, it has a white, lowercase 'i' on it, and it holds 1024 blocks of information. What I'd like to know is obviously, what brand is it, if anyone knows, and if you do, is it reliable?

VioletSkye
Sep 1, 2003, 03:13 PM
On 2003-09-01 11:38, Ketchup345 wrote:

I thought I read somewhere here that once the first person leaves, the drops switch to the new first players ID if the team goes into a new area.

nope. the section id of a game always stays the same regardless of whether the creator leaves. You'll also notice that the tekker also stays the same when the creator leaves, which further exemplifies that the game does not switch ids.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2003-09-01 13:18 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Sep 1, 2003, 03:16 PM
On 2003-09-01 11:40, Kadou wrote:

I already have heard many times that I'd be best off using an official memory card, but unfortunetly I've already gotten my character pretty high offline (at least in my opinion) and I'd rather not start a new one unless it's absolutely necessary. This brings me to another question that isn't really all that important and doesn't need to be answered. I forgot what brand my memory card I have. I threw away everthing that came with it, so all that I can say is that it's black, it has a white, lowercase 'i' on it, and it holds 1024 blocks of information. What I'd like to know is obviously, what brand is it, if anyone knows, and if you do, is it reliable?

could be an intec. As for reliability I have no idea. never used one.

Ketchup345
Sep 1, 2003, 04:37 PM
On 2003-09-01 11:40, Kadou wrote:

I'm not sure about the brand, but I would say it is dangerous to have something important on it, because with that many blocks, it probably compresses data, which I've had problems with on other systems, offline. But online, I'd say its just as reliable as any, and just as vulnerable to FSOD/FSOD-X as any other.

Kadou
Sep 1, 2003, 06:31 PM
On 2003-09-01 14:37, Ketchup345 wrote:

I'm not sure about the brand, but I would say it is dangerous to have something important on it, because with that many blocks, it probably compresses data, which I've had problems with on other systems, offline. But online, I'd say its just as reliable as any, and just as vulnerable to FSOD/FSOD-X as any other.

I don't think I have to worry. About the only things I really care about on it are PSO, Super Smash Bros, and Metroid Prime. The rest is crap I'll probably never use again, so I only have two things to back up. I guess there's no way for me to copy a PSO file, save with a USB memory card, but I heard those don't work too well.

VioletSkye
Sep 1, 2003, 07:11 PM
I guess there's no way for me to copy a PSO file, save with a USB memory card, but I heard those don't work too well.

Actually, mine has worked flawlessly for quite awhile now. And everyone else I know with one, has had no problems whatsoever. They do seem rather cheaply made, but they also seem to be reliable.

Kadou
Sep 3, 2003, 04:16 PM
Alright, now I have one more question. I went to go buy the Broadband Adapter last night, but couldn't find it anywhere. The question is, would I be better off ordering it from play-asia or directly from store.nintendo.com?