PDA

View Full Version : Discover a PKers IP

RedVento
Mar 28, 2001, 12:16 PM
I discovered something quite by accident last night, something very interesting. Not sure how usefull this information is, but here it goes.....
First let me explain my setup, I connect to PSO using my PC(dialing my win98 machine and using my cable modem, setup from a previous post) and I have one problem. Whenever I host a game, or am the only person left in a game, and someone joins the game freezes.. So I have been trying to figure this out using the logs in my wingate like program(I use the recommended program, just forget the name) and I noticed something strange.. It seems that when a player enters a game, or says something, the information comes direct from there DC. The logs show the origin IP. Just to trace this I used a port sniffer type of program, the kind that does reverse dnsing, and I was able to tell what host they used, like if they were on a mindspring account, or a worldnet account, or whatever.. Now I have no idea what to do with this information, but I was able to discourage a body snatcher(actaully get him to give me back my items) by telling him I knew who he was and I had his IP address(then told him he was an worldnet user). So this is probably a good thing.. and ideas on what to do next would be helpful.

Ambrai
Mar 28, 2001, 12:27 PM
lol I shouldnt be saying this but I wonder what type of security the DC has. I bet its open to nuke attacks and ping floods. I have my DC directly networked with my PC (please dont ask how, took forever) so I might see what I can find http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_cool.gif.

Gericault
Mar 28, 2001, 12:32 PM
(Lameroth) "haha i pk u"

(Ambrai) "You call that a PK? This is a PK, bitch." (total DC drive-rape)

Mistkerl_Zwo
Mar 28, 2001, 12:37 PM
oh man, this has made my day

talk about protection...

Ambrai
Mar 28, 2001, 12:41 PM
omg roflmao.

Well the possiblity reminds me of the soulburners editor for diablo.

If you are familure with soulburners editor then you prolly was like me and dueled like crazy eheh but flash back for ya

/diabloerror 0

Thats what I want to do http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_cool.gif.

RedVento
Mar 28, 2001, 01:28 PM
At least I was able to accomplish something.. still can't host a game and get lagged really bad at times.. but I found a way to get back at pkers.. all in all I'd say it was a successful misson.

Rio
Mar 28, 2001, 02:29 PM
<blockquote>
I would be very, very careful who you pass this information on to. Otherwise, we're going to be up to our eyebrows in little kids hosing people's DCs down with Christmas Tree Packets...
</blockquote>

Manifest
Mar 28, 2001, 02:50 PM
Hypocrisy abounds. So its okay to ping someone to death so they get disconnected and or crash, but its not okay to PK in self defense? what a crock of shit.

RedVento
Mar 28, 2001, 03:18 PM
Personally I was just gonna use the a pkers IP as a way to discourage them from staying in my game.. or give the info to sega. As to the other ideas, while tempting, they seem to require much more energy than I seem to have..

Also I am not going to be telling others how I find out this info, or what programs I use or what setups are needed, and this thread will be buried deep within the PSO forums in a day or so, so I am not too worried about people finding out from here.

Neojin
Mar 28, 2001, 03:36 PM
Good call Red...nice to see someone is thinking and posting with a clear head.

Anyways, im not a networking wiz but my understanding is that Dial Up connections are assigned a differnt IP everytime they log in anyways, and only constant connections like DSL or cable have a static IP.

Ambrai
Mar 28, 2001, 03:52 PM
Manifest, reread what I posted please. Nowhere did I state that I wanted to pingflood someone off.

/sigh

some people just read what they want to.

RedVento
Mar 28, 2001, 05:35 PM
Yes it is true that your dial up ISP will assign you a new ip everytime you connect. However.. simply knowing what a persons IP and what ISP they use will often be enough to get them to leave... I find that simply having the information gives you the upper hand in these situations because of the mentality of most pk'ers or thiefs. Most are young kids who are trying to get a repsonse, in other words just acting out. If you show them that you not only don't tolerate that behaviour but possible have a way to get them in all kinds of trouble they usually get scared or nervous and are less likely to keep botherin you.

watashiwa
Mar 28, 2001, 05:38 PM
Actually, this is somewhat bad news. If we're able to obtain an IP address, for those who've got DCs connected to their PCs, they could probably use a program to generate a PSO-style packet that has bad information in it. Such as a level 99 Shifta or something being casted that could crash the person's game at that IP address. Sending false information with stuff that can't possibly be done normally could lead to FSOD (it's happened), BSOD, or RSOD (even worse). Remember the old posts about spells higher than 15 crashing people? Well, stupid stuff like that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_frown.gif Anyways, something to think about. I hope no one dives into this any more than what it is.

RedVento
Mar 28, 2001, 06:48 PM
well on the bright side, I don't think thats a major concern.. I haven't shared the info with anyone else, and I'm way to lazy to do that myself... So we're the only ones that know... and all the people who read this, and their friends..........DOH! I'm and idiot!