PDA

View Full Version : Depression magnet...

RoninJoku
Sep 6, 2003, 12:06 AM
So I just realized the other day, while trying to council some random guy out of killing himself, that I am like a magnet for people who are depressed and suicidal... Every other person I meet on pso it seems has some sort of self esteem problem or another that is otherwise leading them to thinking about suicide... It happens in real life too... I think im gettin pretty good at it... Maybe I can even open up my own practice or somthing... But then I think that I would go crazy!!! o__O >__< 0__o

OniTatsujin
Sep 6, 2003, 12:17 AM
i have to council people a lot too...
man..too many kids who want to kill themselves..
I am almost thought of practicing to be a therapist..but nah...

Mystil
Sep 6, 2003, 12:44 AM
LOL, I am Bipolar, I SWIM in depression. Yeah I use to meet depressed people all the time. I love trying to help depressed people, but it's not like it use to be.

ABDUR101
Sep 6, 2003, 09:29 AM
Being depressed is one thing, being a sympathy whore is entirely different.

"Talking down" people on the internet...hmm..almost doesn't make any sense. If they were so into it, do you actually think they'd go blabbing about it in-game or in the lobbies?

It's a quick attention getter, I guess. =

RoninJoku
Sep 6, 2003, 09:47 AM
On 2003-09-06 07:29, ABDUR101 wrote:
Being depressed is one thing, being a sympathy whore is entirely different.

"Talking down" people on the internet...hmm..almost doesn't make any sense. If they were so into it, do you actually think they'd go blabbing about it in-game or in the lobbies?

It's a quick attention getter, I guess. =

So do you think that they are just trying to get attention? I guess I have suspected this before... but I feel if I dont take them seriously it would be partially my fault for anything they might do...

ABDUR101
Sep 6, 2003, 10:18 AM
More often than not, I'd say it's just someone trying to get attention or make a scene.

Think about it, if you actually wanted to, I doubt you'd go blab about it to people you don't know, and as if you would actually sit and listen to them tell you how much your life is worth living, considering they don't know you at all.

If you were dead set on it, you would have already looked over everything in your life to the extent that the only thing you saw as an escape would be suicide, and by that point I don't think a simple online chat with a complete stranger would be what brought you back.(Considering you're going to kill yourself and put a huge strain on everyone you love and who loves you.)

And yeah, you should care, but ultimately, the majority of people that say it in a game are BS'ers. And that doesn't mean you should feel sorry for not saying something, because you don't have any control in the situation anyways. Being hundreds, even thousands of miles away, not knowing this person more than their screen name or character...seems like a lost cause, and something that attention whores do.

Not that I'm saying to take suicide, or anything in that spectrum, lightly. Not by far, but there's a time when you have to look at how often it happens, and the situation, and realise that it just doesn't make any sense sometimes.

Wewt
Sep 6, 2003, 12:27 PM
In my experience, most of the depressed people that would talk to me about their problems, were attention whores. They'd use their problems to get attention. It got increasingly frustrating when more and more people did this, just to get attention. It got me to later seem like a horrible person, because I just did not care, and did not give my attention to these people.

If my friend posted here, she'd relate to this topic a lot. She used to get a lot of depressed people talk to her, and she'd be a good samaritan and help in what way she could. People took advantage of that. Things like that really get to me, when people would take advantage of another person's kindness. It's funny in a way, she was only like that on PSO. Away from PSO, she's a hardass, you'd think she's the biggest bitch on the planet.

Auronius
Sep 6, 2003, 12:46 PM
On 2003-09-05 22:17, OniTatsujin wrote:
i have to council people a lot too...
man..too many kids who want to kill themselves..
I am almost thought of practicing to be a therapist..but nah...

Actually, you can call yourself a psychoanalyst or psychotherapist without going through any training at all. The terms are unregulated.

Da__Ad__Man
Sep 6, 2003, 11:44 PM
Why would you want to kill your self?? Its like a worm killing him/her self..not to many people would know.

P.S how would a worm kill its self??

OniTatsujin
Sep 6, 2003, 11:50 PM
jumping into water...

On 2003-09-06 21:44, Da__Ad__Man wrote:
Why would you want to kill your self?? Its like a worm killing him/her self..not to many people would know.

P.S how would a worm kill its self??

Da__Ad__Man
Sep 7, 2003, 08:46 PM
oh ya...didnt think of that.

Mystil
Sep 8, 2003, 02:41 AM
On 2003-09-06 10:27, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:
In my experience, most of the depressed people that would talk to me about their problems, were attention whores. They'd use their problems to get attention. It got increasingly frustrating when more and more people did this, just to get attention. It got me to later seem like a horrible person, because I just did not care, and did not give my attention to these people.

If my friend posted here, she'd relate to this topic a lot. She used to get a lot of depressed people talk to her, and she'd be a good samaritan and help in what way she could. People took advantage of that. Things like that really get to me, when people would take advantage of another person's kindness. It's funny in a way, she was only like that on PSO. Away from PSO, she's a hardass, you'd think she's the biggest bitch on the planet.

This is why I said it wasn't like it use to be for me with depressed people. I started getting "used" for my kindness and careness.

Now myself on the other hand has been called such things before, but not in PSO. I only ever opened up to like two people(this is in-game). On a forum though, it can get annoying I guess. But my thing is I doubt most people are doing it for attention. They just don't have anyone at home to talk to.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2003-09-08 00:42 ]</font>

Wewt
Sep 8, 2003, 06:33 AM
On 2003-09-08 00:41, Silhouette wrote:
But my thing is I doubt most people are doing it for attention. They just don't have anyone at home to talk to.
I'd say they don't have anybody at home to get attention from.

Da__Ad__Man
Sep 8, 2003, 07:39 PM
What kind of attation do you think they want...if they want attation as in conversation they can just go out. If they want it the other way..same go out.

Monomate
Sep 9, 2003, 07:01 PM
seems like all my girlfriends have serious self esteem problems...lots of my friends are depressed...and i am suicidal. yeah...i live a strange life...but...i agree...i wouldn't just go and announce i was going to kill myself over the internet unless it was like...on AIM...or YIM...or...MIM...or...whatever...the four times i've tried to kill myself, it was the thoughts of how much i would hurt my friends that stopped me, afterwards, the friends that figured out what i had done consoled me...but most people don't know what i did...depression is something i keep out of sight...blabbing to people about it is just stupid...

but...having been on both the giving and receiving ends of emotional therapy...i would be well qualified for being a therapist...but...that's not me...

ummm...yeah...that was rambling...

ok...now that i've proven i'm a fool...i'ma go kill myself...k bye!

hehehe...sorry...thought i needed to lighten things up a bit...