PDA

View Full Version : Campus commencements lean to left

Morfos
Sep 7, 2003, 08:14 PM
A new report has found liberal speakers outnumber conservative voices at the nation's top universities' graduation ceremonies by a wide margin, confirming to campus critics that students are bombarded with one-sided political points of view.

The Center for the Study of Popular Culture, which examined the political views of commencement speakers at the nation's elite colleges and universities, found those with liberal ideas outnumbered conservative speakers 226-15 over a 10-year period.

Commencement speakers at 32 top colleges and universities, including all Ivy League schools, were tracked over a 10-year period and were identified as belonging to one of five categories: Liberal, Democrat, Conservative, Republican and Non-Partisan," the report said. "Overall, the ratio of commencement speakers on the left to those on the right is more than 15-to-1. Twenty-two of the 32 schools surveyed did not invite a single Republican or conservative to be commencement speaker over the course of a decade, yet invited a cumulative total of 173 liberals and Democrats during the same period.

American Enterprise magazine examined the political registrations of professors in 20 colleges and universities. The study divided the registrations into those belonging to a "party of the left" – either Democrats, Greens, or some other liberal political party; and a "party of the right" – either Republican or Libertarian. Take, for example, Professor McLaren's UCLA. Of the 31 English professors with a registered political affiliation, 29 belong to a party of the left. Of the 56 history professors, 53 belong to the party of the left. Of 13 journalism professors with an affiliation, 12 belong to a party of the left. Of 17 political science professors with a registration, 16 belong to a party of the left. And of the 33 women's studies professors, 31 belong to a party of the left.

What about Cornell University? Of the 12 anthropology professors, 11 are registered to a party of the left. Of 13 economics professors, 10 are with a party of the left. Also on the left, 35 out of 36 English professors. All 29 out of 29 history teachers are registered with a party of the left. Of the 17 political science teachers, 16 registered to the left. Psychology professors totaled 25 to the left out of 26. Sociology managed a 7 registered to the left out of 7.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=34388

Click to find out more.

Nai_Calus
Sep 8, 2003, 01:11 AM
So? Boo-fricking-hoo. What are the conservatives going to yammer about, anyways? How we need more God in our lives, whether we believe in him or not? How abortion is evil? How we need more government control of everything? *snork*

...How the hell are Libertarians right-leaning?

I'm your traditional bitchy college student- Pro-choice, Atheist, anti-government, anti-media conglomerate, anti-war, in favor of legalizing marijuana, pro-gay rights, pro-transsexual rights, etc. The average conservative, especially Republicans, has utterly nothing at all in common with me. To most right-leaning people God is all-important, we need government control of -everything-, abortion is Satanic, homosexuals and transsexuals are the devil incarnate and should be shunned, denied basic human rights or even killed, marijuana is evil, war is good and right and holy and just, who cares about the conglomerates, etc... Brr.

Also, around college age, most people do tend to be liberals. Conservatives in my experience tend to be more closed-minded, which is probably why most teachers and scientists are a bunch of liberal wackos.

Next you'll be decrying the liberal bias of the media. Never mind that it's actually a conservative bias. I'll bet you think Ann Coulter is the best thing since sliced bread. 9_9

HotWaterDeath
Sep 8, 2003, 08:03 AM
On 2003-09-07 23:11, Ian-KunX wrote:

To most right-leaning people....we need government control of -everything-, abortion is Satanic, homosexuals and transsexuals are the devil incarnate and should be shunned, denied basic human rights or even killed, marijuana is evil, war is good and right and holy and just, who cares about the conglomerates, etc.....Conservatives in my experience tend to be more closed-minded, which is probably why most teachers and scientists are a bunch of liberal wackos.

Why is it that everyone thinks they can pass these broad generalizations about people who "loosely-fit" into one "mindset"? You can't say that the average conservative believes in half of that tripe you just passed along there...what do watch Fox News for your information on conservatives or something? That just like me saying "All liberals listen to Barry Manilow and watch Mtv garbage with religious fervor". I'm not against any gays or bi-sexual people, unless of course they're being a jerk-off to me, or generally rude, even then its all about the individual and not a "group". I'm all for people passing a bill on legalizing marijuana and I don't even smoke it....that craps about as bad as alchohal is..so why the not(They might even make some Mtv rockers happy by doing it..4-20 WHAAAAAAAAA!). Then you go into conservatives ruling like kings and "denying people of basic rights, etc". How about some more name-calling, eh? Then there's the whole god/atheist debate which I'm not going to go into because, for one, its some touchy stuff. Let's just say I hate both militant religious and atheist fanatics that feel they have to enforce their views on other people, by frothing mouth or fist. I wonder if the social conflict paradigm will be more favored at college campuses with this "recent"(Like these figures are new. Ha!) turn of events.

Morfos
Sep 8, 2003, 11:33 PM
Im Liberal, Im aware thats a Conservative source of news, but who gives a shit.

Next you'll be decrying the liberal bias of the media. Never mind that it's actually a conservative bias.

Media is Conservative bias duh!

Also, around college age, most people do tend to be liberals.

It doesn't have to do with age, Proffessors lean even more to the left.

I'll bet you think Ann Coulter is the best thing since sliced bread. 9_9

Where the hell did you get that idea? Ann Coulter is the worst thing since Rush Limbaugh.