PDA

View Full Version : Game backup solution?

sampleinajar
Feb 18, 2001, 06:32 PM
I used a 2.0 browser to attach my save games to an email and send it to myself. Now i have the files on my computer. If I retrieved these files later and put them on my vmu, would they work or would they be corrupted? I cant test this because I only have 1 vmu and i dont want to risk losing my character. If anyone else has tried this and knows if it works, please reply. Thanx

Naylor007
Feb 18, 2001, 07:28 PM
I actually just tried this last night on a quickie created character and it does work. Just be sure you DELETE THE OLD FILE before you try to redownload it from the e-mail or you WILL get a corrupted data error and he will be gone forever. Hope this helps.

onexero
Feb 18, 2001, 07:46 PM
Has anybody gotten this trick to work with the 2.6 browser? And are you sending to a free email acct. or a REAL one?

sampleinajar
Feb 18, 2001, 07:52 PM
I think you would have to send it to a real one, because you will need to be able to retrieve attached files.
I doubt hotmail or something like that would work
I'm pretty relieved that this works because i don't want to fall victim to the black screen of death

sampleinajar
Feb 18, 2001, 08:44 PM
Hey Naylor, how did you retrieve the file.
when i downloaded it again, the game wouldnt load my character. I checked the file on my vmu and it had my email address on the file. I don't know why it wont work for me. i hope you reply because i dont want to lose a level 30 character. thanx

diospadre
Feb 18, 2001, 09:31 PM
why try this if you only have one vmu/mem card? if theres a chance that youl delete your save in order to put a corrupted one onto it, youd probably have to be pretty stupid to try

Skee
Feb 18, 2001, 10:31 PM
Version 2.6 is the kiss of death. It (occasionally) resets and changes your Dreamcast's serial number. So, no backup will save you if that happens as its going to be something else than what your little dude has on file.

diospadre
Feb 18, 2001, 11:06 PM
is it only version 2.6? i sure hope version 3.0 isnt like that because i want to be able to set up a second isp. you have no idea how tired i am of having to switch the settings every time i play with the browser i have

-Matrix-
Feb 18, 2001, 11:13 PM
diospadre, rent NBA2k1, and you can add a second ISP.

diospadre
Feb 18, 2001, 11:13 PM
sweet thanks

onexero
Feb 19, 2001, 12:48 AM
So does anybody know where I can find a 2.0 browser? I've been using the 2.6 and have had no problems, has anybody out there actually HAD their DC memory wiped by the 2.6 browser?

Hotmail DOES recieve attachments, by the way. Are you all backing up using the original Sega VMU? My main char is on there but I've been testing the method using chars from a Nexus 4x and it doesn't seem to be working...

Naylor007
Feb 19, 2001, 08:41 AM
Only thing I did to retrieve it was to check the mail with the DC web browser. Opened the mail and then went down to the attached file. Clicked on save file and chose the VMU I wanted to save it to. Popped in PSO and away I went...

sampleinajar
Feb 19, 2001, 02:22 PM
Last night I battled with my dreamcast for a long time trying to figure out what was wrong with my character file. I made a new character and uploaded him to email to look at the file. I viewed both the system files on wordpad, and allthough it was just a bunch of computer language, I could tell that the character file that was not working was screwed up. My email address and mail server were written all over the file. So, i figure something messed up when i emailed the file in the first place. I thought I had lost my character with all of my hard work. But, the strory ends happily, because I remembered i had sent myself the character earlier in the day with a slightly lower lever. I downloaded this file and it worked perfectly. No one can understand the relief I felt as i stared at my once lost character in the wee hours of the morning.
Just thought somebody might like to know the story

Spasm
Feb 19, 2001, 03:58 PM
I found the easiest way to do this is to simply e-mail right to yourself. Whatever (POP or SMTP) e-mail account you have set up on your DC, that's the one you send it to. ONLY send the .sys file, do not try and send the .sys and the .gcd in the same e-mail, that looks like it corrupts the main save file. You can copy the .gcd to another vmu through the DC's built in memory manager. I've done it several times this way, the only problem I've ever had was trying to attach both files at the same time.

Vanse
Feb 19, 2001, 04:16 PM
i filled out the form for a free browser from sega.net and i got 2.0 in the mail like 4 days later. i email both the gcd and the sys in the same attachment, then i hit my homepage and go back to email and its there waiting for me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif i love it! too bad 56k is so god awful slow :/

Samuel-Vimes
Feb 20, 2001, 09:44 PM
I recently came across some news regarding a device called the Double Power VMU that lets you copy VMU files (even copy protected ones) from one VMU to another. I have read that it does work on the message boards I visited. I just ordered mine from www.levelsix.com (about $25 w/o shipping) and will post my findings if anyone is interested.

Zwackery
Feb 21, 2001, 02:44 AM
Yes! If you find the Double Power useful, I would like to know. I want to backup my character just in case I get the black screen of death. This sounds like a much safer solution than emailing it to myself.

Ayanami
Feb 21, 2001, 03:26 AM
Yeah guys, be wary of Web Browser v2.6... from what I've heard it will reset the DC memory, which will mean you will lose your PSO serial Key. And a serial key can only be registered once in PSO, so you will end up having to call Sega to remove the old key while issuing you a new one. A whole lot of hassle =/
Just use 2.0 =) If anyone needs it there is a link I have around here somewhere...