PDA

View Full Version : Don't ever try to think about PSO, it just gives you a heada

Nai_Calus
Sep 9, 2003, 09:08 PM
Alright, so we all(Well, we all -should-) know that Elly makes a backup of Calus at the end of Knowing One's Heart. We know what happened after that, too. Nothing odd there.

But let's make the mistake of thinking about this for a minute. Up until you actually find him, Elly doesn't know that Calus is a computer. This doesn't seem to upset her much, which is rather cool on her part. What does upset her is learning that he's essentially dying. So, she's had one of the more interesting surprises one can come up with sprung on her, her friend is dying, and instead of panicing like a normal person, she has the presence of mind to decide to make a backup. Der? Good thing to think of, but not exactly the first thing you'd think of someone like Elly coming up with.

Then we have another question. What, exactly, is she making this backup -to-? One would presume that Calus has a fairly complex program, and that storing that -and- his databanks(Obviously he hasn't forgotten much from before if he still knows who he is and remembers about other things as well) would take quite a bit of space. Maybe they just have really, really big floppy discs on Pioneer 2. Why is she carrying one around, then, though? The hell of it? Maybe her homework was on it or something.("Sorry I didn't turn my homework in, teacher. I had to make a backup of my friend and there just wasn't enough room on my disk for both my homework and that") Maybe she's secretly a l337 h4x0r and always carries around the sort of thing one makes backups of AIs to. Maybe she secretly works for the government or Black Paper or something. Maybe it was her mp3 CD. I don't know. Maybe I think too damn much.

I realise it's supposed to be all convenient and stuff, but still. It's just kind of weird, to me, at least. It's probably just one of those things to which the answer is "It's ST. That explains everything. Now shut up and go whack some Boomas like a good little bitch." What do you think?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ian-KunX on 2003-09-09 19:09 ]</font>

AUTO_
Sep 9, 2003, 09:15 PM
My answer:

It's in the future and they obviously are more advanced then we are-the possibilites in that sense are endless. Hell, maybe she downloaded it on the BEE system.

If you think about things like this based on what we know about earth and our technology...there's no point to it.

While you're at it, explain how the warp on Pioneer 2 works. I suppose you could even ask how a MAG eats something if it's a machine...but we'll never understand.

CGoodness
Sep 9, 2003, 09:18 PM
Why is Phantasy speeled with a PH?? ahhh! headache! get my advil!

Stalfos333
Sep 9, 2003, 09:25 PM
A mag creates artificial enzymes which then break down items into their elemental composition, then uses these componants to make enhancements to itself. Duh.

Besides, files can be transferred wirelessly even today, and Ely DOES work in a cutting edge labratory on a space station equipped with teleporters instead of escalators, elevators, or stairs. I'm betting she has access to a wireless LAN card on the wrist communicator she carries around.

AUTO_
Sep 9, 2003, 09:34 PM
On 2003-09-09 19:25, Stalfos333 wrote:
A mag creates artificial enzymes which then break down items into their elemental composition, then uses these componants to make enhancements to itself. Duh.

Oi! But of course!

I must have missed that in ELENOR's enlightning speach about MAGs.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Dhylec
Sep 9, 2003, 10:28 PM
dang, more theories.. so many mysteries..
now now, dont go off topic to much.. we're talking about elly here http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nai_Calus
Sep 9, 2003, 11:53 PM
Besides, files can be transferred wirelessly even today, and Ely DOES work in a cutting edge labratory on a space station equipped with teleporters instead of escalators, elevators, or stairs. I'm betting she has access to a wireless LAN card on the wrist communicator she carries around.

Well, yes, but where would she transfer them -to-?
And I don't think she was working at the Lab yet during KOH, since in ep2 she mentions being a rookie repeatedly, people refer to her as being new, and she does indeed seem to be as new around there as you are. It's also mentioned by her that Cal's the reason she took her job at the Lab in the first place, which points to her not working there then. And what I want to know is, if it's possible to transmit things instantly from where you are and have communications near instantly from the surface to P2 and vice-versa, why you still have to go and access those bloody terminals to do things(Well, better than Elly just popping up and talking to you in the middle of things, a la Alia in Megaman X5... X_x;)

And another thing, how the heck did Elly manage to not know Calus was a computer? Didn't she ever ask to see a picture of him? Don't they have video communications? Did she ever ask him -anything- about himself? O_o; Y'know, age, birthday, height, eye colour, hair colour, where he lived, etc? One generally tends to want to know these sorts of things about someone they like. O_o; Either he just made something up and lied to her, or he just evaded those sorts of questions, or she just plain never asked. x.x;

Dbc
Sep 10, 2003, 12:01 AM
Thanks for totally messing with my head......

Mixfortune
Sep 10, 2003, 12:40 AM
On 2003-09-09 21:53, Ian-KunX wrote:

And another thing, how the heck did Elly manage to not know Calus was a computer? Didn't she ever ask to see a picture of him? Don't they have video communications? Did she ever ask him -anything- about himself? O_o; Y'know, age, birthday, height, eye colour, hair colour, where he lived, etc? One generally tends to want to know these sorts of things about someone they like. O_o; Either he just made something up and lied to her, or he just evaded those sorts of questions, or she just plain never asked. x.x;

I'd have to play the quest again to give a legitimate
stab at an answer, but then again why am I replying
to a thread like this in the first place? Who knows, lol.
Anyways, my assumption (as it has been way back in the
DC days that I last played that quest) would be that
Cal (at the very least having the title of a
supercomputer) is able to falsify information, creating
its own persona with, as you mentioned, age, height, hair color, etc.,
as I believe I remember something like Cal pretending
to be a real person to Elly, in a sense "lying" because
it was lonely as well, and likewise wanted a friend.
Something about living things being more welcomed as
friends than computers? I think that was one of the
underlying themes of that quest, but like I said I
do not recall.

Also note that even though Pioneer 2's labs and supercomputers
are in fact very high tech in comparasion to our own,
they are just that, specifically created labs and
supercomputers. There is a reason they call the three
supercomputers, and I don't think it is because it is
the term they give to all computers. It could be very
likely that they still have text based devices available
to the public, as in Elly's device. Considering the
fact that the communications link between Pioneer 1
and Pioneer 2 is nonexistant, and nearly all transmitting
stations even capable of sending or recieving and
data are at best inoperative, more like in chaos (as
in the mines), it would not be surprising if Elly had
no picture to base anything on. We know they had talked
prior to the "explosion", so Cal being "corrupted"
has no ties to picture capabilities... and even if
they could send pictures, Cal could easily fabricate
one, no problem. It's really not an issue.

So, in short, why did I write so much on the subject?
Cause I felt like making an excuse on ST's behalf.
I think they were just lazy, and plopped in characters
that we'd recognize from EPI to EPII, so it has *some*
sense of a relevant story besides the fact it has
Osto and Ragol. Elly could just have easily been
someone else, and there wouldn't be this discussion,
at least not half of it...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2003-09-09 22:43 ]</font>

Kupi
Sep 10, 2003, 08:28 PM
I was under the impression that Elly and Calus were just really good online friends, not necessarily girlfriend/boyfriend or something. It's quite possible to know someone for over a year without asking for personal info. Also, I'd assume that BEE is the basis of Simple Mail... and you don't get a video of your friends when they Simple Mail you, do they? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nai_Calus
Sep 11, 2003, 01:00 AM
On 2003-09-10 18:28, Kupi wrote:
I was under the impression that Elly and Calus were just really good online friends, not necessarily girlfriend/boyfriend or something. It's quite possible to know someone for over a year without asking for personal info. Also, I'd assume that BEE is the basis of Simple Mail... and you don't get a video of your friends when they Simple Mail you, do they? :P

It's blindingly obvious that, regardless of whether or not one could consider them boyfriend and girlfriend, that Elly at the very least has a rather large crush on Calus. If a girl rambles like that about a guy, usually it's a good sign that at least she feels something. And usually when one gets a crush, one wants to know -everything- about the object of that crush. Where they live, their phone number, what they look like if they don't already know, what classes they take and what days/times if they're in school, what kind of car they drive, what it's liscence plate number is, how many brothers/sisters, the parental situation... And considering how obsessive Elly seems to get about things, I think she'd probably want to know that sort of anal-retentive stuff about Cal.
Although come to think of it, Elly doesn't really seem at any point to have any clue whatsoever what Cal looks like, so they probably don't have much in the way of visual communications, at least not among civilians. Still, it would seem rather odd if she didn't even at least ask him for a general description.

...What's Simple Mail? One of those online things, I'm assuming. ("OMG, n00b!")

Kupi
Sep 11, 2003, 05:55 PM
Yes, Simple Mail is an online thing. If you have someone's Guild Card (kinda like letting them put you on their AIM buddy list), you can send them a short message. Nothing much longer than, "Man, I am so ticked off right now. I saw a red box and someone else nabbed it." Very much like what Elly seems to be sending to Calus.

Shin_Arishima
Sep 11, 2003, 06:15 PM
And what I want to know is, if it's possible to transmit things instantly from where you are and have communications near instantly from the surface to P2 and vice-versa, why you still have to go and access those bloody terminals to do things(Well, better than Elly just popping up and talking to you in the middle of things, a la Alia in Megaman X5... X_x;)

All hail to that. I think I'd personally kill Elly if she did that. Like I wanted to Alia.

*jumps over a pit* *Alia pops up and freezes time*

Alia: Zero, you can't fall in the pit, it'll kill you.
Zero: ...

*Zero unfreezes, and since the concentration's now broken, he falls into a pit*

... *twitch twitch*

Either way...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shin_Arishima on 2003-09-11 16:27 ]</font>