PDA

View Full Version : DC: Dreamcast PSO to live - servers to stay open - for now (

Rich_T
Sep 10, 2003, 01:22 PM
This from Sega-europe
[quote]
Thank you for your email.

In fact PSO servers are closing in America. However, in Europe, we are happy to say that Sega has no current plans to close the PSO servers.

I would suggest that you keep an eye on our website for any further updates.

Best regards

- Sega Customer Service
[email protected]
Internet help line 09066 544 544 (premium rate)
All other enquiries 08456 090 090 (local call rate)
http://www.sega-europe.com

Mash
Sep 10, 2003, 03:41 PM
The Japanese servers are also staying up.

Just the US servers are going down...

Balbarei
Sep 10, 2003, 04:49 PM
Oh god, thats good news for us EU people http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
cuz ver2 is free in europe so there is people playing still!

Reenee
Sep 11, 2003, 12:00 AM
I don't see why we can't connect to JP or EU servers.

_Sinue_
Sep 11, 2003, 01:00 AM
Huh.. well it doesn't matter if all the US ships go down. So long as the US LOGIN isn't taken offline, then US players can settle in on JP and EU ships and still play online. It would normally just default you to a server select menu where you pick EU or JP since there are no more US ships.

Unfortunately, I think Sega is taking down the whole deal for US players. If they were leaving the US Login up, but taking Ghettoberon offline - then there would be no reason to stop accepting Hunter Licence payments or refund people for payment on months after the shutdown.

Unfortunately, even finding an import copy of v.2 EU would do no good.. as my DC is already registered to my NA copy of v.2.. I couldn't go online with it without flashing my DC bios and having Sega reset my Seriel# & Access Key.

Guntz348
Sep 11, 2003, 01:08 AM
I'm not sure if its still this way, but I know back when I played V2 US players did indeed connect to a JP server host and then use the US ships. I know this because I was told it by Sega's tech support. I was having trouble connecting to PSO and it was because there was too many "hops" between my ISP and between the Dricas servers, which are in Japan. Hopefully it still works like this, which would mean you could still connect to the servers, then get on the JP and EU ships http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

_Sinue_
Sep 11, 2003, 01:16 AM
Even though the servers are in Japan, you're still accessing through their designated US Login. If they take that down, you're screwed. Remember that time when the login went down for like 3 weeks streight? Importers could still get online as their logins were fine, but the US Login was offline.. and noone with a NA copy of v.2 could connect.

Butoden
Sep 11, 2003, 04:06 AM
Well this is good news, so everyone is still able to play. Thank SEGA!

Castoth
Sep 11, 2003, 05:11 AM
If the US server is the only server to be taken down and US players are not able to connect at all anymore but everyone else can, then Sonic Team is filled with ethnocentric bastards that need a good castrating pronto.

*mutters*

zimmk2vgc
Sep 11, 2003, 01:45 PM
On 2003-09-10 22:00, Reenee wrote:

Because europe doesn't want you.

Butoden
Sep 11, 2003, 01:58 PM
On 2003-09-11 11:45, zimmk2vgc wrote:

Maybe they will change that and will allow you to...

Voodoochild
Sep 12, 2003, 02:40 PM
On 2003-09-11 11:58, Butoden wrote:

On 2003-09-11 11:45, zimmk2vgc wrote:

Maybe they will change that and will allow you to...

But just maybe! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rain_1
Sep 12, 2003, 03:02 PM
On 2003-09-10 23:00, _Sinue_ wrote:

Unfortunately, even finding an import copy of v.2 EU would do no good.. as my DC is already registered to my NA copy of v.2.. I couldn't go online with it without flashing my DC bios and having Sega reset my Seriel# & Access Key.

well.. so what? if you're buying a new copy, you're getting new serial numbers and access keys... since that particular combination of access key and serial number is not on any databse, i see no problem.. as long as you input the new serial number...

only thing that *could* screw up is the 60hz/50hz crap (dunno how that works on pso v.2) and make your dc boot other country software (which is not hard at all)

Rich_T
Sep 12, 2003, 03:18 PM
The EU version of PSO boots with a 50hz/60Hz option.

_Sinue_
Sep 12, 2003, 03:31 PM
To the best of my knowladge, you can only have 1 copy of PSO registered to any 1 Dreamcast. Your Seriel # and Access Key are stored in your Dreamcast Bios and are combined with your Dreamcast's own Seriel Number to make your ID Number which shows at the top of your guild card. If I were to try to go online with it, Sega's servers would detect that my Dreamcast's Seriel Number was already in use, and kick me off. This is why so many people on the DC versions who got banned had to call into Sega and get their Seriel # and Access Key reset. It's also the reason why DreamKey and Earlier versions of PlanetWeb were highly pirated.. because those Web Browsers had a glitch in them that allowed you to flash your DC's Bios. Once you clean your DC's Bios of the old Seriel # and Access Key.. and have Sega reset your numbers online, then you could play online again.

Also, the 60/50Htz problems are meaningless to me. I run my Dreamcast (along with ALL my consoles) through a 20" VGA Moniter.

zimmk2vgc
Sep 13, 2003, 07:38 AM
On 2003-09-12 13:18, Rich_T wrote:
The EU version of PSO boots with a 50hz/60Hz option.

This is no problem. (Laughs at the idea of a european import) 50hz was only in europe coz not all out Tellys could handle 60hz, unlike the rest of the world where you always use 60 hz. Always go on 60hz otherwise ull end up in the one and always one and only 50hz block. Its nothing to panic about. ANy game over here that uses 50hz always gives a promt.