PDA

View Full Version : Gamecube to team up with AOL

rbf2000
Sep 10, 2003, 06:40 PM
*vomits* (http://cube.ign.com/articles/437/437537p1.html)

September 10, 2003 - Nintendo of America today told IGNcube that it has reached an agreement with America Online by which the Internet provider will become the official preferred ISP for GameCube.
According to the agreement, developers who choose to create online games for GameCube will be licensed AOL connectivity software that will enable their games to connect online through AOL. Nintendo stated that this same rule would apply to any potential online GameCube software it decided to create in the future.

The company reaffirmed that as of yet it is not developing any online games for GameCube. It stated: "To be clear, this does not indicate the unveiling of a new online gaming approach from Nintendo. Nor does it signify that we have changed our position on the current business viability in the online console gaming field."

Nintendo said that as part of the agreement many of its products would be spotlighted on key AOL and AOL Time Warner websites and that the two companies are discussing means of promoting AOL's new broadband service, including the possibility of bundling AOL demo discs with the GameCube.

IGNcube will follow up on this story throughout the day. Stay tuned for more details.

Oh well, I guess it's a good thing that all those people that are paying $25 a month for dial up will at least get to play some games online...

AUTO_
Sep 10, 2003, 07:32 PM
I don't see how this is a bad thing...

Despite your outlook on AOL, all this will do is bring many needed users to PSO.

crazy_latino2
Sep 10, 2003, 07:36 PM
this is in no way a bad thing. actually it's kinda a good thing. now all they need to do is do the same wit xbox.

Kent
Sep 10, 2003, 07:55 PM
Sucks to be Nintendo, teaming up with one of the worst ISPs in the US.

ginko990
Sep 10, 2003, 08:15 PM
maybe youll be able to trade in 300 "FREE 300000 HOURS OF AOL" discs for a gamecube. I could get 7.

Getintothegame
Sep 10, 2003, 08:37 PM
...possibility of bundling AOL demo discs with the GameCube

Greeaaattt....

rbf2000
Sep 10, 2003, 09:08 PM
Don't count your chickens. An aol client would have to be programmed into the game, so it's very unlikely that pso ep 3 will allow the use of aol (although I guess sonic team could throw it in there real quick).

Likewise, you still won't be able to use aol with past versions of PSO.

On 2003-09-10 18:15, ginko990 wrote:
maybe youll be able to trade in 300 "FREE 300000 HOURS OF AOL" discs for a gamecube. I could get 7.

Heh, it's funny you mention that. At circuit city, for every customer that signs up for 3 free months through circuit city, circuit city gets a kick back of $40.

Now if only you could sign up for 3 months, and have aol pay you $40...

EDIT: double post

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rbf2000 on 2003-09-10 19:14 ]</font>

Firocket1690
Sep 10, 2003, 09:12 PM
On 2003-09-10 16:40, rbf2000 wrote:

paying $25 a month for dial up will at least get to play some games online...

just because my mother doesn't want to pay 9.99/month for some BETTER broadband service ....

56k Mario Kart Double Dash anyone ??

Rep0
Sep 10, 2003, 09:33 PM

We could send them to those guys that are collecting the AOL disks

Captain_Dude
Sep 10, 2003, 10:48 PM
Hmm, I think I'll go throw my Gamecube out the window and go back to playing Xbox exclusively. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Captain_Dude
Sep 10, 2003, 10:50 PM
On 2003-09-10 19:33, Rep0 wrote:

We could send them to those guys that are collecting the AOL disks

I know someone who collects AOL disks! He is teh r0x0rz crazy dude!

_Sinue_
Sep 10, 2003, 11:40 PM
The agreement is just now being finalized. By the time they get a working application to developers.. and by the time developers can actually make a game that uses it.. the next generation of Nintendo console will be well on it's way here. You might see a few.. but unless Nintnedo starts putting out modems and BBA's again.. what the hell good is it going to do?

Too little, too late.

Nintnedo actually missed a helluva opertunity with online gaming. Moreover, with the NGC/GBA link cable.. Nintnedo could have easily made up a bunch of disks which specifically take you to a "Download" page where you can download and demo the latest GBA games comming out as a "Try before you buy" deal. They could have given these away free at the counters of EB and Gamestop and other game shops and increased revenue of their GBA titles exponencially.

Nai_Calus
Sep 11, 2003, 03:19 AM
I've suffered with AOL for 7 years.

Trust me.

The -last- thing PSO would need is a bunch of retarded AOLers getting on it. There's a reason AOL users are often banned as a whole from many things. Most of them are, in fact, idiotic retards. I'm one of the rare users who isn't a drooling idiot.

AOL and anything != good.

I still hate MSN more, though. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Reenee
Sep 11, 2003, 08:28 AM
If anyone is desperate for a cheap ISP that works, use either MyExcel.com or cwnet.com. CWNet offers unlimited access for $10 a month.

Xyhthyx
Sep 11, 2003, 08:40 AM
Oh no! AOL CD's in ever Gamecube game playable online! NOT MORE AOL CD'S!!

Shattered_weasel
Sep 11, 2003, 11:35 AM
AOL is the devil....stoopid 56K

AngelofVNVNation
Sep 12, 2003, 01:18 AM
Haha! this is kinda funny actually, and scary I'll admit. Nintendo joining up with a mega-company, woo yeah....*clears throat* anywho, imo, I think this is gong to be a bad move on Nintendo's part. I had AOL for a couple of years and have come to detest it. I'm picking up a modem as soon as I can and am goign on with Earthlink.

And yeah, AOL is the devil.

pancakebunny
Sep 12, 2003, 07:44 AM
<sarcasm>wow...i wish my xbox teamed up with the best isp ever</sarcasm>

CGoodness
Sep 12, 2003, 11:46 PM
On 2003-09-10 16:40, rbf2000 wrote:
*vomits* (http://cube.ign.com/articles/437/437537p1.html)

September 10, 2003 - Nintendo of America today told IGNcube that it has reached an agreement with America Online by which the Internet provider will become the official preferred ISP for GameCube.
According to the agreement, developers who choose to create online games for GameCube will be licensed AOL connectivity software that will enable their games to connect online through AOL. Nintendo stated that this same rule would apply to any potential online GameCube software it decided to create in the future.

The company reaffirmed that as of yet it is not developing any online games for GameCube. It stated: "To be clear, this does not indicate the unveiling of a new online gaming approach from Nintendo. Nor does it signify that we have changed our position on the current business viability in the online console gaming field."

Nintendo said that as part of the agreement many of its products would be spotlighted on key AOL and AOL Time Warner websites and that the two companies are discussing means of promoting AOL's new broadband service, including the possibility of bundling AOL demo discs with the GameCube.

IGNcube will follow up on this story throughout the day. Stay tuned for more details.

Oh well, I guess it's a good thing that all those people that are paying $25 a month for dial up will at least get to play some games online...

*gets up and begins to frolic around the room*

oh yeah

only about 8 months late but I might be able to get online with PSO now!

*continues frolicing around the room*