PDA

View Full Version : PSO ships are like ghost towns.......

MagnumOpus
Sep 11, 2003, 09:54 PM
Has anyone noticed lately how quiet its has been on RAGOL for the gamecube........

For the past week, I have been visiting Ragol at different times throughout the day and it is tooooooo quiet.....I remember not to long ago, when I would sign on, and it was hard to get a spot on Antares 8 or Vega 1, 2, or 3....

maybe its just me, and i'm going on during the slow times, or maybe not...

anyway, just wondering if anyone has noticed this decrease in population...

cheers!

JohanCC
Sep 11, 2003, 10:00 PM
school started up again and so everybody in school is gone. henceforth the severs are less crowded

NKOTB
Sep 11, 2003, 10:27 PM
Xbox is also dead. A couple times recently all of Celestite has been completely empty.

Symbios
Sep 11, 2003, 11:40 PM
maybe that means all xbox owners are little kids? That would explain all the idiots that hack the game and scream into the headset.

_Sinue_
Sep 12, 2003, 12:48 AM
I don't think that's it. Back when the game first launched, even durring off hours, the ships would normally be crouded. It was normal to see 5,000 users logged onto the US ships when I got home at 11 at night. Now, there's barely 1,000 on a good day.

I think it mostly has to do with Cheating (which drove alot of legits away), boredom (which drove a lot of cheaters away), and corruptions (which drove EVERYONE away).

It's a shame the way PSO's userbase has dwindled. I remember logging onto the DC v.1 ships not long after it launched and seeing 10,000 users online. Dropped to about 5,000 at NGC's launch.. and now it's seeing even less users than the DC version, despite the lack of heavy cheating and all the new content, was at this point in it's life.

*Shrug* - Hope they have better luck with PSO 2.

Kuai
Sep 12, 2003, 01:54 AM
On 2003-09-11 21:40, Symbios wrote:
maybe that means all xbox owners are little kids? That would explain all the idiots that hack the game and scream into the headset.

XBOX HAx0r

Jack
Sep 12, 2003, 02:47 AM
Maybe the drop off on the Xbox version is because of the free trial ending?

AngelAlys
Sep 12, 2003, 03:08 AM
I think virtually all those points are valid, I think there is a heavy drop off rate because of school [I'm not going to enter the little bastards debate here... lol]

Legits have been driven away from ONLINE play because of dupers and double equipping. As a legit player myself it is very frustrating to try to play in a team of dupe users because if you're a little late in joining the battle then everything is dead before you know it and no exp comes your way, and also this lack of challenge makes levels boring to. One of the main reasons for being legit is the challenge. I only come online as regually as I do because I have alot of legit friends and we play together, and also to hunt rares that can not be found offline

This leads to my next point... content. PSO DC had a lot of instant online content for quests etc... GC has strated to get quite a few now, but not all the ones that were on DC [Why I dont know?]. XBox have been very unlucky as regards to added content and this has ticked off a lot of people [and rightly so]

Money! Now this is a controversial issue this one. I'm from the UK and PSO cost me 40 quid, on top of that if I was to buy a years worth of hunters licence then thats another 72 quid, so added up it will cost my 112 quid to play PSO for the 1st year.
Now I'm not griping about this, BUT we never had to pay a hunters license on the DC so why the GC? However if we are paying the money so it can be invested in the creation of new aspects of the game that make it more enjoyable then brillient... But this leads to a more sinister point...

Corruption [FSODX/FSOD] I am a legit player, I have no dupes equiped or in my inventory and I dont handle then either. So why do I FSOD regually... crouded servers I've been told, but people dont FSOD on XBox so why would that be the case here??? And the dreaded FSODX. Now why would I pay 112 quid thats $200 to play PSO for a year when it can just destroy a character in seconds? People are scared to come on the servers because of losing their valuable rares and all the time and effort they have invested in building up their character. I can reel off a load of names [including me] that have had charcters corrupted ranging from low levels to 150+ And we all know how must that pisses us off...

If FSODX [double save crap] is done away with a lot more people would come back

AndyPandy
Sep 12, 2003, 03:16 AM
Kids have gone back to school, and a lot of people have cancelled because they have had to start paying....simple.

Butoden
Sep 12, 2003, 08:04 AM
Well that does make sense! Expect more people online after christmas (HC as gift for instance http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif )

Nero-X
Sep 12, 2003, 04:02 PM
buy action replay. save your character on the pc and use it as a back up.

Reece
Sep 12, 2003, 06:11 PM
Do you mean USB Card?

FinalHell
Sep 12, 2003, 06:48 PM
GC has that???

Reece
Sep 12, 2003, 07:02 PM
Yea...

kitomaka_ck
Sep 12, 2003, 09:26 PM
Ive known Anti FSODX method for so long now....
On Gamecube, when you freeze on the double save, open the disc tray, then pull the mem card out, then shut off the cube, put in the card, and the files should be fine. We've GOT to get this more widely known! I mean come on I see EVERYONE whining about it when they can just take it as a regular FSOD and not corruption... But regular FSOD is another problem completely...

AndyPandy
Sep 13, 2003, 04:57 AM
If it works get ST to tell people when they log onto the info board on start up....lol.

Tyrael-UK
Sep 13, 2003, 11:19 AM
I'm no amazing rocket scientist, and i havent tryed the online version yet, but why worry about corruption, when you can just buy to memnory cards and keep an updated back up file on the other, then all you have to do is delete the corupted file and reload the character, unless it is stored by the server. Why do so many people care if many people have left the online version of PS, with past experience in MMORPG's (Ragnarok, legend of mir, myth of soma, etc) i find the less people on, the less lag, that means less chnace for corruption! Do the math; 10,000 players = very big chnace of corruption, because of lag spikes, 1,000 players = alot less spikes, smoother game play.

I know i havent posted much,i havent played that long and you may think i'm a noob rambling on, but when it comes to online play i know what i'm talking about. if you wanna avoid losing alot of new, rare items and hard leveling, because of corruption, just play for 30-40 minutes, save and relog, if your going to fight a boss, just pray lol.

P.S: The person with the Calintz sig, have you ever played Ragnarok, or met somone called Sephiroth-UK?

Outrider
Sep 13, 2003, 01:10 PM
Can't copy files over from one memory card to the next. Which means you can't make a backup file without the use of a USB card or something like that.

As for not playing PSO anymore... yeah, I just moved into my dorm, and I gotta say I've hardly been playing any games. Eventually people will settle into the school year and start playing again, or they'll do what I'm doing and renew the HL around Christmas time. We're coming off summer, which is really a great time to play PSO, if you ask me.

ShadowFOrce
Sep 13, 2003, 07:05 PM
Yes, this sucks alot for me though. This is my first month online and I haven't ever seen the ships crowded before, it's not exactly hard to find a game but it is hard to find a good game to play in.

Also I just want to say to everyone on the site.... Get off your computers and go play PSO!

Huntley
Sep 15, 2003, 01:09 AM
i know what the problem is, u've been playing the resting at the beach quest too much hahaha

SubstanceD
Sep 15, 2003, 07:54 AM
Yes, I agree. What few times I have been online I've noticed that the GC ships are more or less deserted. The few people out there who are playing online mostly play in locked games so it is almost impossible to join in on the fun. In the 4 times I have been online I have only played a game with others once, I had alot of fun and I am very thankful for the oportunity to play with such cool guys. Anyhow by the looks of things it does seem like PSO is dieing slowly but surely.

Kent
Sep 15, 2003, 08:34 AM
On 2003-09-11 20:27, NKOTB wrote:
Xbox is also dead. A couple times recently all of Celestite has been completely empty.

...Celestite is always like that, save for about 3:00 PM Central on a few weekdays.

Eclypse
Sep 15, 2003, 11:12 AM
I stopped playing the Xbox version because it got mad boring and there just wasn't a point to play anymore. I've been a diehard PSO'r since the DC version, but even then I stopped playing every now and then just to get back to a point where I liked playing it again. Both versions have there problems with dupes/hacks what have you, but there doesn't really matter to me because you can always find people that doesn't use them. ST needs to keep PSO fresh by adding more weapons on a reg basis or newer levels. ST needs to take advantage of the damn HDD on the Xbox, but they never will because Sega doesn't stand behind anything long enough.

Genoa
Sep 15, 2003, 06:43 PM
whoa there's like clan type thingies on PSO online? Great now I just wanna get on even more now :/

Sheik1
Sep 16, 2003, 03:08 AM
Alright, I think I can add a little to this:

1. You may not copy character data. The data is 'copy protected' and the GCN will not allow a copy.

2. You may use a USB card to backup data if you wish, but be aware that the PSO server time stamps your online data. If you revert to a previous save your character data WILL be reset when you log on.

3. The USB memory cards I will not trust with my character data. I will only use Nintendo brand Memory Card 59. This is the only thing I will use for PSO and will ONLY use it for PSO data. The memory card ONLY has PSO data on it. This would be a wise decision as there is nothing but PSO accessing and writing to that memory card.

4. In the case of worries about corruption I would limit one character to each memory card that you own. Each memory card is capable of storing 4 characters but if the data corrupts all 4 characters will be lost. In the end I suppose it really depends on how money (expense of memory cards) you believe your character data is worth. Is it worth $15.00 for each character? You decide.

Edit:
5. As for the issue with FSODx...I have encountered a freeze on save three times with no problems. I just powered off the GCN and turned it back on. There is not much else you can do. If your character data is ok...then cool. If it corrupted you may try deleting the 'Guild Card' file (some say this works). If worse comes to worse please realize that this is just a game and half of the fun, I believe, is playing with other players online and having fun leveling and collecting unique item drops. The worst thing I can think about loosing data is my Guild Card files, but not too hard to reconstruct as I know where everyone likes to play (ship/block/lobby).

Personally, I have started playing challenge mode much and am quite enjoying it. I get to meet many players in the JP/68:Alcyone06 ship that I enjoy playing with...and not all of them speak the best English either, but the important thing is you have having fun playing, right? The Language barrier is not much of a problem for me. I have been enjoying TA (time attack) play lately and it is really quite fun...for me anyway.

What every you do just have fun playing and meeting people online. Personally, I like playing in the JP ship more (level and challenge play). I prefer J play style over E style. Item sharing is one thing that I miss on the US ships. The players are team players and dont swear every time they die or get hit...lol.

Anyways, hope this is a little inspiring. Do not get too depressed over the while corrupt thing. I can reach LV80 in 10 days or less...that is not so much of a big deal to me. Playing is half the fun and once you get a high level it gets all to easy to play...even in ULT mode.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheik1 on 2003-09-16 01:21 ]</font>

Shina
Sep 16, 2003, 03:12 AM
Wow. How did this go from Lack-of-People to saved char info?

Anyway. My imput:

I think it's because of school starting again. :|

Sheik1
Sep 16, 2003, 03:24 AM
On 2003-09-16 01:12, Shina wrote:
Wow. How did this go from Lack-of-People to saved char info?

Anyway. My imput:

I think it's because of school starting again. :|

Yes yes, this is a little off the subject, but there were some subjects brought up from other players that I wanted to address...sry.