PDA

View Full Version : Random Fact about Mag names

Cliftonium
Mar 29, 2001, 03:44 PM
Hey All-

So last night, I was thumbing through an old copy of Legends and Lore (AD&D sourcebook) looking for internal names to give to our projects (greek gods! say hello to Zeus!), and I came across a list of indian mythos gods-

Marut (wind spirit)
Rudra (storm god/god of dead)
Surya (sun god)
Ushas (goddess of the dawn)
Varuna (God of order/protector of oaths)
Garuda (King of all birds)

Any of these names sound familiar? =)

-Cliftonium-

Aierylia
Apr 8, 2001, 06:23 AM
Hmm, I like discovering the origin of names. After perusing the backgrounds of some more of these names, I found that many (if not all) stem from Hinduism. If I can, I'll be posting up some info on the entities behind these names =].

Let's start with the first wave of mag evolutions:

--------------------
Varuna ? ?he who covers?

In pre-Vedic times, Varuna was an omnipotent and omniscient god who was a keeper of the cosmic force, or rta. Rta is the force that makes the sun rise and set, rivers flow, trees grow, birth animals. It?s also seen as truth, so that makes Varuna ?the god of order? and ?protector of oaths.? But in Vedic times, his lordship was taken by Indra and instead became known as the god of the oceans and rivers. Nagas are his attendants. He?s seen as a white man in golden armor riding a Makara, or sea monster, holding a noose or lasso made from a snake. All drowned souls go to him, and he punishes those who don?t keep their word by capturing them with his noose.

--------------------
Kalki ? ?Time?; the 10th incarnation of Vishnu

It?s said that the god Vishnu has 10 incarnations, the last of which has yet to happen. In this form, he will come down from the sky upon a white horse to wreak final destruction on the wicked, renew creation, and restore righteousness.

--------------------
Vritra ? the ?Enveloper?

?kay, first of all, devas are Vedic deities who were guardians of light and life. Asuras opposed them, and Vritra was perhaps the most powerful of them all. He was a dragon or serpent who was said to be so large that ?his coils surrounded the mountains, and his head touched the sky.? He was the bringer of drought, who gathered all of the water in the world into himself, turning the world into a wasteland. It seems somewhat ambiguous (may have been Indra, may have been Sarasvati, dunno) as to who killed him and released the water, but he?s dead.

Now I don't worship any religion so don't post any flames if this offends you, but feel free to correct any of it if I made a mistake. At any rate, if you liked these, then I'll try posting more on the others. *yawn*...need sleep. G'night all!

Aierylia
Apr 8, 2001, 11:39 PM
'kay...well even though no one seems to care, I'm still going to keep posting!

Onward with the secondary hunter mag evolutions!

--------------------
Rudra ? ?howler?

In ancient Vedic myth, he was the evil god of storms and wind, and might?ve even been the god of death. He?s the father of the Maruts. After Hinduism came about, his name was changed to Shiva and he was seen as a benevolent god who was the lord of the animals and patron of hunters [heh, perfect].

--------------------
Maruts [closest thing I've seen to Marutah]

Minor storm deities who are the sons of Rudra and attendants of Indra. Very aggressive and violent, they drive the clouds, bring wind, topple trees, and crush mountains.

--------------------
Vayu

Allied to the Maruts, he?s a god of the air and winds. He?s the blow and breath of the world and of every living being.

Mwahaha...seeing as to how so many people bash Kama as it is, wait 'til you hear where -his- name comes from!

Andromeda
Apr 9, 2001, 11:00 AM
LOL! Aierylia, I think what u r doing is very spiffy indeed! Please keep posting the name histories, as you will have at least ONE person reading them! (and I'd like to find out the background for my Marica.....) ;-P

Aierylia
Apr 9, 2001, 08:11 PM
Hehe, thanks for the support. I really appreciate it! I hope I can -find- info on all of the mags ^.^;

Well, here's the stuff on the secondary ranger mag evolutions:

---
Surya

He?s the god who dwells in the body of the sun. He?s the husband of dawn, as well as her son [??]. His father is the sky-god Indra. He has golden hair and golden arms, and drives a chariot drawn by a team or 4 or 7 horses [he sounds to me like Greek mythology?s Helios who drove the sun across the sky].

---
Mitra

Mitra is the (twin?) brother of Varuna and is a Vedic god who stands for the sun. He?s the god of friendships and contracts and watches over the daytime hours. Being good-natured and on better terms with humans than his brother, he?s seen as being a mediator between the gods and man.

---
Tapas ? ?inner heat?

In Hinduism, tapas is a kind of ascetic practice that?s voluntarily done in order to achieve spiritual power or purification. It refers to the ?inner heat? that?s created by the practice of physical austerities, like fasting, the holding of difficult and painful bodily postures, keeping vigils in the presence of fires or extreme cold, or breath control.

Next up are the second evolution force mags!

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Aierylia on 2001-04-10 22:40 ]</font>

Core
Apr 10, 2001, 01:55 PM
Wow good job! thats cool to see what the names were based on.

Aierylia
Apr 11, 2001, 04:57 AM
Eh-hehe, actually I couldn't find anything on the second evolution force mags (Sumba, Ashvinau, Namuci). The only even remotely related tidbits I could find were that Sumba is 1) an island that yields lots of nice textile goods, and 2) the type of magic that a Mannumbo (one of the ten types, and the most evil, of Filipino witches) uses. So if anyone else can fill in for them, please do!

Instead, I'll be randomly going through what I can on other mags.

--------------------
Soma

Soma doesn?t seem to have one specific form. He?s a plant. He?s an intoxicating drink brewed from that plant. He?s the blood of animals and the sap of plants; he courses through all living things. He?s the god of the moon, the dwelling place of the dead, and the divine cure for all evil. He?s like the ambrosia of the gods, giving them strength and immortality. For mortals, however, it was a golden-hued nectar derived from that plant that brought hallucinations and ecstasy to the consumer, making warriors brave and giving poets inspiration. As for being the god of the moon, the moon was considered to be the cup through which the gods drank Soma. When the moon wanes, the gods are drinking Soma; when it waxes, Soma?s re-creating itself.

--------------------
Varaha ? ?boar?; the 3rd incarnation of Vishnu

When the demon Hiranyaksa dragged the earth to the bottom of the sea, Vishnu set out to rescue her in the form of a boar. After battling for a thousand years, Vishnu defeated the demon and raised the earth out of the water with his tusks. Varaha?s depicted as half-animal and half-human with the head of a boar and body of a man.

--------------------
Apsaras

Apsaras are heavenly nymphs of great beauty that are often represented as dancers in the court of the god Indra?s heavenly kingdom. They were sometimes sent to distract sages from their physical austerities. I also read in some place that they have a close relationship with rivers and trees, so they sound kind of like the Greek naiads and dryads.

Heh, all right! Next update will be Garuda, Nandin, and Naga.

Kent
Apr 12, 2001, 03:42 AM
Dude, cool. I figured that Sega would put something like that in an RPG of thier's, because other companies (i.e. Squaresoft) have put similar names in some very popular games. I do know that Squaresoft puts alot of Norse and Indian god names such as Odin, Shiva, Ramuh, etc..

Also, the Norse god Shiva (there was an Indian god named Shiva also) was actually named Shiva-Rudra.

Pretty interesting huh? Oh, and does anyone know where Bhirava came from?

Aierylia
Apr 12, 2001, 05:05 AM
Hehehe, Kent:

1) I'm not a dude. ;]

2) There was a Norse god named Shiva, too? Wow, I didn't know that.

3) 'Fraid I haven't found anything on Bhirava yet. I'll keep looking though.

And on with the post:

--------------------
Garuda

Garuda, the ?Bird of Life?, is the mount of Vishnu. In one reference I read, he?s described as having an eagle?s beak and wings, and a human body. He has a white face, scarlet wings, and a golden body. In another reference, Garuda is emerald in color, with the beak of a kite (a kind of predatory bird), golden wings and four arms. [PSO seems to agree with the first one more. The mag Garuda has a color scheme of gold with white strips and a red orb, differing from character to character only in the color of a couple of small stripes that match the player?s costume.] He used to enjoy killing and eating a snake daily, until a Buddhist prince taught him the value of abstinence. He?s the enemy of the Nagas.

--------------------
Naga

The Nagas are a race of divine serpent-people, half human and half snake. They are associated with water and are worshipped as bringers of fertility. They are the protectors of springs, wells, and rivers. They bring rain (and thus fertility), and disasters like floods or drought.

--------------------
Nandi [Nandin]

Nandi is the vahana, or vehicle, of Shiva. He?s a milk-white bull who?s a symbol of strength, and the guardian of four-legged creatures.

All right. Next post, I'll try to get in what I can on Ravana, Sita, and Marica.

Dragon-Ibuki
Apr 14, 2001, 06:31 PM
I had to look up Ravana after seeing this (Ravana is my favorite force mag) So far, I've found that in the Vebeeshana (Some kinda Hindu lore) He was a prince who had a not-so-good mum n' grandpop. I guess they didn't like Ravana's elder brother, so they plotted out this evil plan to have him kicked outta the kingdom so Ravana could inherit it all. His brother was ousted and Ravana became king soon-after. Unfortunately, Ravana found out his brother got another kingdom elsewhere n' took over that too. (Eeevil...) Ravana soon married (over and over) and had a kid (over n' over)..one of his sons defeated the king of angels, Indrajit..his firstborn actually
To be continued...

Dragon-Ibuki
Apr 14, 2001, 06:53 PM
Found out more about Ravana and thensome..
In the Ramayana, Ravana was the enemy of Lord Rama and was part of Sri Lanka, basically, he wasn't a Dravidian, and he was king of Dravidia (Like my previous Ravana, king of Lanka...get it, Sri Lanka?) Ravana was a great devotee of Lord Shiva.

Well, that's Ravana so far...but wait! There's more

Varuna was the God of the sea (woohoo).

Wait...back to Ravana!

Oh yeah, Ravana's name means "He who makes the universe scream" (That's my mag!!!) Poor Ravana was just a power hungry guy who wanted to be God. (poor poor Ravana) Anyhoo, in his previous life, Ravana was a gatekeeper to Lord Vishnu in the spiritual world. Anyhoo, these six guys wanted a meeting with Lord Vishnu, but the gatekeepers decided that no one was to bother their Lord. Anyhoo, these six guys got really mad and cursed the gatekeepers, but just in time, Vishnu comes out, hears the stories and modifies the curse for the gatekeepers. (Talk about a save) Anyhoo, the curse is that they either spend six lives as pure souls or three as demons. The gatekeepers didn't want to spend too long from their master, so they chose the shortest. (virtue, or not?) (BTW: I'm shortening these stories into easy to understand verses n' junk ^.^) So the gatekeeper spend three lives, his last being Ravana. All lives demonic. (His friend was his brother throughout each life)

Ravana, by this time, is king of Lanka. His kingdom is kick arse, n' he even defeats Yama, the god of death, getting a couple of souls who were trapped with Yama as citizens in the process. As much as Ravana like Shiva, he only worshipped Shiva for help in battles. He didn't like any other god temples because he wanted to be the supreme god (talk about high aspirations).

Anyhoo..his mum wasn't a nice lady n' bummed him about why he wasn't as good as his brother. So he went up into the mountains and meditated to the point where he got a new youthful body (his bodies decayed, ants made an anthill over'm, the anthill burst n' voila! a new body) and a kick butt self defense (the sun wouldn't even burn them). He conquered so many guys n' even got a flying ship. That's where the story end till I find out more....
To be continued ^.^

Dragon-Ibuki
Apr 14, 2001, 06:56 PM
Awesome! I learned out a kool tidbit 'bout Ravana. Apparantly, he was a demon king (we know that if yu've been keeping up with my posts), but he was a kick-arse demon king for one reason. The Gods made a mistake by giving him immunity to death by a God (Yes, they do stupid things sometimes). So basically, Ravana was almighty powerful. But there was a catch, which is why he got his butt whupped. He could be killed by a human. All the gods did was one went down (reincarnation) as this guy named Rama n' taught that ole demon a lesson.

Class dismissed till next lesson....

Dragon-Ibuki
Apr 14, 2001, 07:03 PM
Anyhoo, Ravana was king of his ppl the Rakshas. And apparently they appeared as a dog or bird with a fat body, or a skeleton (but why does he look like a cow skull?...will find out more...)

eeew...Ravana had ten heads. (talk about too much)

Well, that's all I can find so far...any info more would definitely interest me ^.^

Aierylia
Apr 15, 2001, 06:09 PM
Heehee, wow! Nice info on Ravana!

Well, now that I'm finally back, I'll be following up a bit on Ravana (I don't think I can beat what Dragon-Ibuki's already posted though ^_^;), Sita, and Marica. I'll even throw in a lil something on Kabanda (my favorite!!!!).

All four of them are told about in the Ramayana. I'll try to give a brief rundown on what's in it.

---
There was a king named Dasharatha who had everything he wanted except children. Elsewhere, there was another king: the powerful and tyrannical Rakshasa Ravana, king of Lanka.

Dasharatha decided to seek the blessings of the gods for children. Vishnu decided to reincarnate himself as D's eldest son in order to slay Ravana. So with the blessings of the gods, D had four children: Rama (Vishnu), Bharata, Lakshmana, and Shatrughna.

Then a sage came and asked for Rama's help in killing some Rakshasas that were disturbing his fire sacrifice. Since Rama and Lakshmana were very close, they both went. They encountered the Rakshasi (female Rakshasa) Tadaka and her son Maricha [Marica?]. Rama killed Tadaka with an arrow through her heart. Pleased with this, the sage taught Rama some mantras through which he could summon divine weapons with which to fight evil.

Later, when the sage began his fire sacrifice, enraged Maricha came with his followers. Using his new mantras, Rama blew Maricha far far away into the sea. And the sages rejoiced!

The next day, they journeyed to the city of Mithila, where the sage had in mind to get Rama to marry the king's daughter, Sita. The king, Janaka, would only give her hand to the bravest and strongest prince. He gave all suitors the test of stringing a strong and heavy bow that was given to him by Lord Shiva. Every other prince failed, unable to even move the bow, let alone string it. But Rama easily picks up the bow and accidentally breaks it.

Rama and Sita were married and loved each other deeply.

'kay, that's enough of the Ramayana for this post. Go to the site below to read where I'm getting it from.

http://www.indolink.com/Kidz/ramapart1.html

I'll continue this later.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Aierylia on 2001-04-15 16:27 ]</font>

Dragon-Ibuki
Apr 15, 2001, 06:34 PM
Another thing to add to yer story is that Ravana was one of those suitors that wanted Sita's hand. Since Rama won, yu know who Ravana's enemy is. Eventually in the end, Rama will win cause he's also a god who was reincarnated to stop almighty Ravana (gods, humans....ah...what a wonderful life, no?) Those rakshas took control of forests at one time and of course, really hated sages....those sages also called for Rama to get back their forests n' get rid of those darned Rakshas.

Aierylia
Apr 15, 2001, 06:54 PM
Oy-oy, I'm-a gettin' there! =] There's still more to the Ramayana. Here's the next part:

--------------------
Twelve years passed and Rama's father Dasharatha was growing old. He asked his ministers and they all unanimously agreed that Rama should succeed him to the throne. Everyone was supportive of this except for Manthara, the maid of Kaikeyi, D's second wife and mother of Bharata. Manthara poisoned Kaikeyi's mind with doubts and eventually convinced her to get Bharata on the throne.

In the past, Kaikeyi had saved D's life and he promised her two boons. She said she'd ask for those boons some other time. So Kaikeyi decided to call on these two boons to 1) make Bharata king, and 2) exile Rama to the forest for 14 years.

D was overwhelmed with grief when he heard these requests and went into shock, torn between having his beloved firstborn on the throne and honoring his wife?s wishes. When Rama heard the requests, he obeyed them with a smile and said he?d start for the forest at once. Lakshmana was furious over the Dasharatha?s decision, but Rama just said, "Is it worthwhile to sacrifice your principle for the sake of this small kingdom?"

So Rama left to live the life of a hermit in the forest, accompanied by Lakshmana and Sita. Dasharatha died in grief, only able to repeat Rama?s name.

http://www.indolink.com/Kidz/ramapart2.html

*sniffle* poor guy

Next part in the next update!

Aierylia
Apr 15, 2001, 08:49 PM
One day, Surpanakha, saw Rama, fell in love with him, and sought to be his wife. He rejected her, so she decided to devour Sita. To thwart her, Lakshmana sliced off her nose.

Mutilated and in tears, Surpanakha ran off to seek her brothers' help, one of who was Ravana. She told him everything that happened. Ravana was interested in hearing about Sita and decided that he would make her his.

Ravana ordered Maricha to help him or die. Maricha finally agreed because he feared being killed by Ravana more than he feared death by Rama.

Well, Maricha had the ability to transform into any form and imitate any voice. He took on the form of a beautiful golden deer and began to graze near Rama's cottage. Sita saw him and bade Rama to get it for her. So Rama set off after it, leaving his brother to guard her. Maricha was slain and with his dying breath, imitated Rama's voice to call Lakshmana away from Sita. Lakshmana left to help Rama, and in his absence Ravana stole Sita away to his kingdom in Lanka by means of a flying chariot.

While in pursuit, Rama and Lakshmana were attacked by a ferocious demon called Kabandha [It's Kabanda!!! Woohoo!!]. When Kabandha was about to devour them, Rama scored a fatal arrow. In death, Kabandha told them of how he once had a beautiful form and was cursed to the form of a monster. He asked that the two of them burn him to ashes so that he might return to his true form, and advised them to seek the monkey king, Sugrive, for help in reclaiming Sita.

In order to be able to help them, Sugrive needed his kingdom, which was under the control of his brother Vali. So Vali was killed, Sugrive got his kingdom back, and thereafter sent his army to aid in the search for Sita.

The army followed a trail of ornaments that had been dropped by Sita up until they reached the shoreline. They could not cross the ocean. All except for one: Hanuman. Hanuman was the son of Pavana, the wind god, and increased his size and jumped across the ocean. After reaching Lanka, he made himself tiny and unnoticeable and found his way to Sita.

Hanuman offered to take Sita back to Rama upon his back, but she declined saying, "I do not want to return home secretly. I want Rama to defeat Ravana and take me back with honor." After a bit of trouble, Hanuman returned to Rama, leaving the rooftops of Lanka burning in his wake. [That was a pretty neat part of the story that I'm cutting out.]

Now knowing the location of Lanka and Sita, Rama and the monkey army gathered at the shore pondering on how to cross the ocean...

http://www.indolink.com/Kidz/ramapart3.html

Last part of the Ramayana to come in the next update!

Andromeda
Apr 16, 2001, 03:07 PM
A DEER?!?! A frikkin' deer??? I waited this long only to find out that my Marica, a shapeshifter, transformed into a DEER of all things and was then killed by Rama.... jeez, what a puss! Oh well.... at least he looks neat in the game.
Just want to let both Aierylia and Dragon-Ibuki know how much I am really enjoying these "history lessons"! Keep up the good work. Cheers!

Dragon-Ibuki
Apr 17, 2001, 05:37 AM
Thanx Andromeda! Well, in Roman Mythology, Marica was a water nymph. It ain't the best thing in the world, but it's better than a deer, no?

Aierylia
Apr 17, 2001, 04:28 PM
Heehee, sorry to disappoint you Andromeda. At least he was a....um....demon..deer.....
*trails off and starts side-stepping away*

Oookay, time for Part 4 of the Ramayana!

--------------------
Ravana and his ministers believed that they were unbeatable and proposed to fight Rama to his death. But Vibishana, Ravana's younger brother was cautious and opposed to this. He warned him saying, "Brother Ravana, you must return the chaste woman, Sita, to her husband, Rama, seek his forgiveness and restore peace." Ravana became upset with Vibishana and ordered him to leave Lanka.

Vibishana went to Rama, who gave him sanctuary. In the war that was to come, Vibishana was Rama's closest advisor.

To build the bridge, Rama had the help of the monkey engineer Nala. Immediately, thousands of monkeys went about to gather materials for the bridge. When all of the materials were ready, the entire monkey army worked on building the bridge, completing it in just 5 days.

The army crossed the bridge and the Rama sent Ravana an ultimatum saying, "Return Sita with honor or face destruction." Ravana refused and with the next morning, war began.

Thousands died on each side.

When Ravana's side was losing, Ravana's son Indrajeet took command. Having the ability to fight while staying invisible, he fired arrows at Rama and Lakshmana, tying them up with serpents. With the fall of their leaders, the monkeys began to scatter.

Then Garuda [yaaay!!], the king of the birds and enemy of serpent-kind, came to their aid. The snakes fled and the brothers were free.

This angered Ravana, who hurled a powerful missile at Lakshmana, knocking him senseless. At this, Rama challenged Ravana himself and the two fought fiercely. Ravana's chariot was smashed and Ravana himself was badly wounded. With Ravana at his mercy, Rama took pity on him and said, "Go and rest now. Return tomorrow to resume our fight."

Ashamed, Ravana called his brother Kumbhakarna for help. He was like a walking tower and nothing seemed to be able to stop him. But Rama felled him using one of his divine weapons, striking Kumbhakarna dead.

Ravana was emotionally crushed when he heard this. After grieving, he sent Indrajeet.

At first, it seemed that Rama?s army could not defeat Indrajeet, since they could not see him. But through tricks and arrows, Indrajeet just could not take down Rama and Lakshmana. So he plotted to undergo a ceremony that would make him invincible. During the ceremony, Indrajeet had to be visible. Lakshmana found and killed him.

Ravana was thrown into despair again. In a rage, he went off to conclude the battle with Rama. Once again, the two battled fiercely. But finally, Rama used another of his divine weapons, the Brahmastra, piercing the heart of Ravana, who fell dead from his chariot. [I think the Brahmastra must?ve been Rama?s most powerful weapon. By the name, it sounds like it was summoned from Brahma, the Creator, ?the supreme eternal deity whose essence pervades the entire universe.?]

Vibishana was made king of Lanka. Sita, after having spent a year in Lanka and was still chaste to the relief of all, was finally reunited with Rama. Together, Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana returned to their home kingdom, where Rama was crowned and everyone was happy. --The End--

So in short...

Ravana - evil asura king of Lanka who stole Sita because he heard she was the most beautiful woman in the land, and put up a hell of a fight with Rama, going down only when Rama used his most powerful weapon

Sita - beautiful wife of Rama, she had a war fought over her [bet she's proud of herself now]

Maricha - Rakshasa who could take on any shape and imitate any voice, killed by Rama because he feared being killed by Ravana more [who knows, maybe the mag Marica -was- named after the water nymph...]

Kabandha - a once beautiful being who was cursed into the form of a demon, he died attacking Rama, who granted him peace by burning his body to return it to its original form

I'm not sure what mags I'll cover next. But Kama will be the last http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif and all of you Kama-haters will probably die in disbelief

Kent
Apr 19, 2001, 05:12 PM
Hey, I found something about Bhirava!
It's not what you'd expect, it's the name of some guy in India! You can go to this site to see for yourself:

http://election99.indiavotes.com/constituencies/U05-07.html

It isn't quite what I was hoping for when I typed "Bhirava" and smacked the search button on Excite.
I was hoping for something like
"Bhirava is the name of the Indian god of........bricks....."
or something of the such.
btw, the 'bricks' idea came from someone I was talking about mags with, he referred to my mag as 'a powerful brick' ... but that was before sega banned my character just for the hell of it.

Aierylia
Apr 24, 2001, 06:33 AM
Heh, it's been a while since I've been able to post. But I'm back, and I did not return empty-handed.

For one, I managed to find info on two of the three secondary force mag evolutions [Ashvinau and Namuci]. But since they're kinda short, I'll also be posting up a bit on Ushasu, Ila, and Yaksa.

---
Asvins [Ashvinau?] - ?Divine Physicians?

They are the twin sons of Saranyu and Surya, the god of the sun. These deities are associated with healing, and represent the morning and evening stars.

---
Namuci

Namuci was one of the greatest of the Hindu Asuras.

---
Ushas [Ushasu]

Ushas is the goddess of the dawn, and the breath of life.

---
Ida [Ila?]

The Hindu goddess of prayer and devotion.

---
Yaksa

They are the semi-divine attendants of Kubera, the god of wealth. Half god and half demon. They live under the Himalayas, guarding the wealth of the earth (like gems, precious metals, etc). They have fat bellies and plump legs, like their master. They are not violent, and are therefore called ?punyajana?, or ?good beings?.

There we go! It may not be much, but I found what I could.

I'll be posting on Kaitabha, Andhaka, Bhirava, and Durga soon. Maybe I'll do Kama soon too. We'll see http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

But so far, I can not find anything on Bana, Madhu, and Kumara. Still nothing much on Sumba either.

"California is also known as the Granola State: it's full of fruits, nuts, and flakes."

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Aierylia on 2001-04-27 23:53 ]</font>

Aierylia
Apr 28, 2001, 01:59 AM
Here we go! The last 5 mags I could find info on!

--------------------
Kaitabha

The Hindu demon who tried to attack Brahma. [Sorry, but that's -really- all that I could find...]

--------------------
Andhaka

A Hindu demon. [^_^;; Couldn't really find anything on him either...]

--------------------
Bhairava [Bhirava]

An emanation of Shiva, he is depicted as having a fierce visage, and is often riding a dog, his sacred animal.

--------------------
Durga

I?m not so sure, but I think Durga?s the warrior form of the Divine Mother goddess, Devi. In this form, she?s the mother of death and shows no mercy to her enemies. She was the protector of the universe in older mythology, saving the world from a demon named Mahisashura, who was so powerful that he had usurped the heavenly thrones of the gods. She?s usually pictured as a woman with many arms (4, 8, 10?) riding upon the back of a tiger or a lion. [Pretty cool for a mag that reminds me of a shelf. =] ]

S'alright! Next post will reveal who Kama is! I'm prepared to die at the hands of all of the people who hate Kama...

Aierylia
Apr 28, 2001, 02:08 AM
Time for Kama! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

--------------------------------------
Kama

Hindu god of love.

Kama is represented as a winged youth bearing bow and arrows. He is described as being a handsome youth, attended by heavenly nymphs, who shoots ?love-producing flower-arrows.? His bow is made of sugarcane, and his bowstring is a row of bees.
--------------------------------------

'nuff said! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif

All right, you can shoot me now...right after I'm done laughing....*snicker*

Kent
Apr 28, 2001, 04:42 AM
Hmm... I remember seeing something about Kama on The Learning Channel...or...to be more specific, "Kama-Sutra" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif