PDA

View Full Version : Final Opinion on PSO

LastUtopia
Mar 29, 2001, 05:48 PM
Here's something I've been thinking about recently. This isn't a rant, it's intended to start a discussion. Any other video game you play, you have an opinion about it right from the start and your opinion only really changes in the area of lasting appeal. Other than that, the game doesn't change. With online games such as PSO, your opinion of the game (and more importantly, the QUALITY of the gameplay) depends on the people who play it, and they seem to be getting more idiotic every day. This has turned many away from PSO.

When Phantasy Star Online was first released, the gaming community regarded it as a "great online experience" and it's reviews were mostly good. Sure, there was stealing, but if you were careful it wasn't a problem. Unfortunately, the dupers came along and began what would become the game's slow decline in value and popularity. Once the game's servers had been littered with Spread Needles and level 999 mags, these dupers moved on to learning lobby magic and the art of Player Killing. As I said before, many have turned away from PSO for these reasons. So, I would like to ask everyone a question that I'm sure you've considered before at least once: If you were to rate PSO today, would you give it the same 8.5 or 9 that it recieved back when it was released? Or would you see how corrupt PSO has become and give it a considerably lower rating?

Manifest
Mar 29, 2001, 05:53 PM
I dont let the cheating affect my game. so it would still get a solid 7.5 from me.

LastUtopia
Mar 29, 2001, 06:40 PM
Well, I don't let cheating ruin my game either, which is why I'm still addicted to it. Of the people I played with in the first week of PSO's release that I still knew recently:
3 stopped playing weeks ago
1 turned duper/pk/cheater
2 still play as usual
1 plays much less, having so many duped items and being bored

So, I don't let this effect me, but it still is a part of the game that cannot be ignored. If it was just me giving the rating on my personal opinion, it's an 8. But if I were to take into consideration the community that the game currently has, I'd say it's more like a 3.5.

DarkWolf
Mar 29, 2001, 06:57 PM
I think my opinion of PSO has only dropped about half a point... It is getting a bit aggravating for me to level up, and you can only beat DF solo only so many times. I really wish they would have put in, like, one special level for V. Hard or something... but in regards to the people, I can't say it's dropped at all. I mean, day 1, there were theives and jerks. Now there's PKers and jerks. The people don't change... just their methods. Hence, all in all PSO gets a good 8.5 from me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Rapscallion
Mar 29, 2001, 07:09 PM
I'd still give the game a solid 9. I've had the game for over a month, I've logged nearly 50 hours into it and I'm STILL seeing new items on people. This was the reason I liked Diablo and Diablo 2 so much. i thought the game itself was good, but the treasure hunting aspect of it was the most addictive element. Hoping to find that ultimate item, getting the ultimate mag. The game really suffers from it's repetition, same 4 levels, same monsters, kill kill kill. But that's not exactly the point of the game. The game brings together people into a unique community of players where we can find people who might become friends and people who might just wind up forgotten, that "guy you played with the other night..."

Like all game communities, the cheaters come eventually and try as they may to make the experience miserable for everyone else they wind up tossing the game aside not long after they've gamesharked their way to supremacy. It might seem like for every one that goes away two take their place, but by this time we should all have enough trusted contacts that we could take to play in password locked games.

It's still just as addictive as the first time I played it, I haven't touched any of my other games since I got it.

PowerSlave
Mar 29, 2001, 07:18 PM
The game:
After having been through bad VMU's, broken Dreamcasts, I can safely say that I love PSO as much as I always have. I don't think this game has left my dreamcast since Jan 30th. With most games, if I would have lost over 200 hrs worth of save files the game would be smashed up to bits or traded in to the local EB.

The people:
As we all know in life there are assholes and saints, there's an art in avoiding the asses and finding the saints.
I play with people I know 90% of the time and thus cheating doesnt really affect my game, unless it is the few friends I have lost because they fell in cahoots with the sharkers.
If I feel like meeting new players I equip a weapon I dont care about and go have fun, if the people in that game suck, I move on....simple.

The_Saint
Mar 29, 2001, 09:02 PM
Saints...theres saints in this game???? lol
Anyways..too many people are quitting!!! remember a couple o' weeks ago when everybody was so jazzed (cool word huh?) about version 2? Now everybody is fed up. And i still haven't met you all!!!! Anyways with all the Sh*t in PSO, i still give it an 8.culd be better.....but on-line games are what you make 'em, yes?

Aberu
Mar 30, 2001, 06:23 AM
i like this game a lot and i would give it an 8, for it was made that way, it was not made perfect but it was made to deserve an 8, i dont rate an online game based on the jerks involving it. i rate them based on the original intent and what i get out of playing honest players, jerks dont ruin the game for me, they jus tick me off, thats why i call dupers, cheaters, and PK'ers jerks, cuz when they have the power they use it in a jerky way that affects everyone and hurts SEGA directly. Im a huge fan of sega games, and i hate it that they keep getting destroyed by the other companies because of their image, personaly N64 sukked terribly but because of its name and pokemone nintendo is still surviving and saturn was looked down upon when it was a very good system, the same is happening with DC even though it sold a lot of copies. well thats my two cents gomene!

Skeeve
Mar 30, 2001, 07:59 AM
Personally I think something that has hurt the lifespan of pso is the lack of a definite confirmation of ver.2 for america or europe as people have basically lost faith in sega's ability to completely combat the various problems in the original game. If people knew they'd soon be getting the game they enjoy with extra stuff and removal of most of the problems then I think more would keep playing.

zanza
Mar 31, 2001, 12:34 PM
SERIOUSLY, I THINK PSO IS JUST ANOTHER
DIABLO IN 3-D STYLE. (ESPECIALLY NOW THAT PKING CAN BE DONE)
BTW: I HATED THAT ASPECT OF THE GAME!
I'VE PLAYED THIS GAME A GOOD 300+HRS
NOW AND I SAY IT DOESN'T OFFER MUCH
IN THE LONG RUN.
WHAT BRINGS ME BACK TO GET PK'ED AGAIN?
MEETING PEOPLE. THE PEOPLE OF PSO
KEEP ME COMING BACK!
I GET A KICK OUT OF SOCIALIZING AND MEETING YOU ALL!http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif
ITS TOO BAD THERE HAS TO BE LAMERS
ONLINE.
SEGA, HOW ABOUT A PATCH TO FIX THAT?
EX: A MESSAGE APPEARS AT THE CORNER:
{THIS GUY IS A JERK/LAMER.}
HM? HOW 'BOUT IT? SEGA?http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif

Lanzer
Mar 31, 2001, 05:42 PM
To not say that chaters don't affect me is a lie. If anyone in a team is equipped with a Levis Cannon, Chao mag, running around knowing that he's invulnerable changes the whole party's atmosphere.

With that in mind, the aspect of running around randomly joining games and meeting new friends are gone in PSO, and that is one of the fundemental greatness of the game. Games are mostly about finding the friends that you've made and opening your locked games.

The aspect of discovering new friends/players and discovering new items are much gone in PSO. Although the mature players aren't totally driven to such aspects of the game, I have to say that the lack of discovery does make the PSO world more stale, so to speak.

The world of PSO today is much like real life, people cling to who they're comfortable wtih, and are attracted to the people than the game itself. In that aspect, PSO does do a terrific job in implementing a great chat system and ways to personify our characters.

In version 2, we got to be able to do more motions and gestures. I can see that coming. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Oh, so do I think cheaters ruined the game? In general, yes, the game shark allowed jerks to look and act like real jerks now, that'll leave players with a bad taste in their mouth.

Qbert
Mar 31, 2001, 08:05 PM
Interesting topic.

My feelings concerning this game have changed, but only slightly.

At first, I had a great time running around, meeting people, exchanging cards, etc.

But that started to change. When the dupers and GSers started showing up I'll admit I became a bit annoyed and discouraged. However, my core group of friends remained true and that made all the difference. I found that all the weapons and mags in the world couldn't make up for good gaming skills. And those cheaters lacked the skills and personality of people I enjoyed playing with.

The cool thing about this game, about the time I get fed up with meeting lamers, I'll meet a fun player like Dark Wolf.

The bad thing about this game, is I'm less likely to enter open games anymore. That's too bad, cuz that's when this game really shines. It's been a great way to meet "virtual" friends.

How would I feel just starting this game now? Well, now that the PK and GS issues have been somewhat addressed... If I could get past all the masturbation and pot pics... Then there's all the immature personalities... hmmm... I would still play. However, I think it would be much harder to meet cool people--because they're more likely playing a locked game.

My rankings would be:
Stand alone game: 6
Online game with my fave players: 10+
Online game with jerks: 2

zanza
Apr 1, 2001, 05:16 AM
I FORGOT TO PUT MY RATINGS.
I LIKE QBERT'S SYSTEMhttp://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

OFFLINE ALONE: 7
ONLINE WITH COOL PEOPLE: 10+
ONLINE WITH JERKS: -1

Ice_
Apr 1, 2001, 05:57 AM
My final opinion of pso: IT IS TO FUCKING ADDICTIN........
and i am glad with segas new instalment they mad eno more PKING!!!!
its hilariosu when someoen goes to laod a ahcked item after they say illtrade ya this for that.... hld on let me go get it.. so they go to get there wepon and they get disconned its hillarious

lostinseganet
Nov 27, 2010, 06:50 PM
Those first dreamcast memories were gaming gold to me. Pso was a 9.275 to me. The only as good for its time was Soulll Calibur! Man those games were good.

Pirrip
Nov 27, 2010, 07:08 PM
OH MY GOD IS THIS THREAD OLD.

I think PSO was revolutionary. It's been, like, a decade? A people are still playing it(Even if it's been reworked for gamecube/xbox/Blueburst on PC)!
When I grow old, I will still whip out this game if I can find some friends to play it with me.

AlexCraig
Nov 27, 2010, 07:12 PM
Please do not bump a thread this old. It hasn't been posted in since 2001. The conversation has been over and forgotten for years.