PDA

View Full Version : Connection help

Zane528
Sep 14, 2003, 05:08 PM
Hello, I need some help, I use SBC Yahoo DSL, have a Gamecube version of PSO, and a modem adapter for the connection, I need some help setting it all up, is there anyone out there to help me?

Rich_T
Sep 15, 2003, 12:49 PM
DSL ( ADSL/VDSL/SDSL, etc)is a type of broadband internet conection.

there are different ways to conect to your dsl line with your p.c, you will probably have one of the folowing:

USB modem
Single Ethernet router/modem
Multiple port ethernet modem/router

the basic set ups ( using the minimum of equipment for a lower cost to set up) for each are as follows:

USB modem seup
A P.C with internet conection sharing, and a spare ethernet card/socket
A gamecube conected to a Broadband adaptor, which is conected to the spare ethernet card/socket with a crossoer cable

Single Ethernet out modem/router
A Gamecube BBA with an ethernet cable, unplug the p.c ethernet cable from the modem, and plug in the gamecube ethenet cable, you may need to re-boot the modem/router

Multipe port modem/router
plug the gamecube BBA into a spare port on the modem/router, with an ethernet cable.

ehternet cables are also known as
RJ45-RJ45 leads, Network leads, Cat5 leads
ethernet cards are also known as netowrk interface cards and NICs ( abreviation)

you can Not use the gamecube modem to access your DSL service, you need a broadband adaptor

if you purchased a modem adaptor you have purchased the wrong device.

if you asked advice in the shop on the modem adaptor, and told them what type of internet conection you have (dsl) and they then sold you the modem adaptor, you have been miss sold, or had a product unfit for its purpose sold to you, and under UK consumer protection law you will be entitled to a refund, if you are not in the UK, try and take the item back to the shop, if a refund is refused contact your local consumer advice departmant through your local government.
the above will only work if you were advised by shop/store staff to buy the modem adaptor for a dsl conection, if ou are woried about being turned away, dont be.
if you dont ask you dont get.
if you dont try nothing will happen.