PDA

View Full Version : Phatasy Star Movie

Huntley
Sep 14, 2003, 11:51 PM
I wonder if theyre really gonna make a Phantasy Star Movie, that would be soooo cool!

www.PhantasyStarMovie.tk

Kent
Sep 15, 2003, 12:16 AM
It would be cool... if it doesn't suck ass like the Final Fantasy movie.

_Sinue_
Sep 15, 2003, 12:24 AM
I doubt it will ever happen. The Phantasy Star series isn't popular enough to make it into a movie.

Then again, I hear they're making a live action movie of the GunSmith Cats manga/anime... so you never know what the peeps in hollywood are thinking.

ShadowJedi
Sep 15, 2003, 12:52 AM
On 2003-09-14 22:16, Kent wrote:

"the Final Fanstasy movie" didn't suck, only people that can't understand the story say that it sucks (like reviewers).

Huntley
Sep 15, 2003, 12:56 AM
I would love to see a PSO movie. The only way i think it would work is if it was a big budget Live-Action movie. The actors would have sweet costumes on and they could do a ton with the special effects like when ppl use techniques and weapons, plus the enemies and all, ooooo im drooling just thinkin about it!

Kuai
Sep 15, 2003, 01:46 AM
On 2003-09-14 22:52, ShadowJedi wrote:

"the Final Fanstasy movie" didn't suck, only people that can't understand the story say that it sucks (like reviewers).

no really it sucked. basic storyline from every FF game lol

Sashi
Sep 15, 2003, 01:51 AM
On 2003-09-14 23:46, Kuai wrote:

no really it sucked. basic storyline from every FF game lol

If it didn't suck, then why did it bomb at the box office? It was released, in what, June or July 2k1 right? It came out on DvD in October 2k1. Very few (if any) good movies do that. And don;t say it was because it was already digital, and easily put onto DvD. If it was always like that, we could expect Finding Nemo out next week.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sashi on 2003-09-14 23:52 ]</font>

Kent
Sep 15, 2003, 08:24 AM

I understood the story, and guess what? That was the worst part about the movie!

We all know Square went at a sharp decline at FFVIII, but they're well on their way back to the par they set with VII. And besides, the main reason the movie's plot sucked was because it wasn't written by their japanese division; if it were, it wouldn't have bombed at the box office.

Huntley
Sep 15, 2003, 09:58 AM
forget about the dumb FF movie, a PS movie would kick ass.

zimmk2vgc
Sep 15, 2003, 10:24 AM
If it were to work first it would have to split into three episodes, like the game. It would be a bit jumpy though, the present and the past, Rico's bit. But if someone like Peter Jackson did it then it would be kewl. As long as it was not an american film and stayed well away from hollywood, the city of nightmares. Yeah it would be pretty sweet

Scejntjynahl
Sep 15, 2003, 10:33 AM
Any movie based of a video game or anime tends to be killed when Hollywood steps in. Remember Mario Bros, Street Fighter, Double Dragon, etc etc. Jesus...posible good movies shot to hell because of Hollywood dictating that they know what the American culture can and does understand. And the politics of it all, take castlevania series, in Japan they have crosses, here we get boomerans?!
So if they do make a PSO movie, hope Hollywood doesn't get their dirty paws on it, because if they do might as well throw it away with the rest of the junk they have ruined.

ilr2000
Sep 15, 2003, 11:05 AM
Gotta love those FF movie debates..

*gets can of gasoline and throws it onto the fire*

A movie's/game's/anything's quality isn't based on the amount of money it earned. Such a statment is complete BS. Here in the US Superman 64 sold almost twice as many copies as Skies of Arcadia for the DC. Omg, does that mean Superman 64 is twice as good as Skies of Arcadia? It must be so...[/sarcasm] But wait.. Eternal Arcadia out sold Superman 64 in japan. That doesn't add up.. they're the same game but different languages. Of these two countries one of them has a populous of retards who bought the shittier game. Anyone ever play superman 64? Yeah...

Getting back to FF movie now. I thought the movie was pretty good. It had some cheezy moments but every FF story has a little bit of cheese hidden in it somewhere. People complain it had nothing to do with Final Fantasy, then they complain that its the same as any other Final Fantasy story ever made. MAKE UP YOUR MINDS PEOPLE. So you didn't get to see a chocobo, big deal. So what if the movie didn't have references to previous game's RPG engines? I wouldn't expect a movie to cover that sort of thing.

*cough*This is a PSO forum, right?*cough*

Malkavian
Sep 15, 2003, 11:20 AM
What I hated and still hate about FF movie is the lame decision of use virtual characters to act as humans. Even the worst actor in the world could do better than those renderred persons.

Look to other characters in movies made by computer. They are animals, beasts, aliens, toys, but never or rarely humans. Because it requires a lot of work for results worse than using real persons.

starhealer
Sep 15, 2003, 11:32 AM

I understood the story just fine and still hated it.

As for a PSO movie, well, I'd be really happy to see something like that. However, if Peter Jackson ever got his hands on it I would shoot him. I may be in the monority here, but I felt what he did with the Lord of the Rings Trilogy was far from genius...

And I like the Mario Bros. movie. It didn't try to be the video game, which sets it apart from the movies that did and sucked. Mario Bros. knew it wasn't the game and didn't make any pretenses, for which it gets credit in my eyes.

Besides, Yoshi was cute.

RAwill
Sep 15, 2003, 11:56 AM
if they ever got enough pennys together for the movie it would be turned all kiddie and theyd probably make it like "yu gi go away" with pathetic stupid cards! just like theyve ruined EPIII with cards.....WEAPONS ARE WAY MORE FUN!!! stupid sonic team. and FF the movie looked very amazing but it didnt really follow with the games medieval magical sort of theme which suked http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Dgo
Sep 15, 2003, 02:21 PM
On 2003-09-14 22:56, Huntley wrote:
I would love to see a PSO movie. The only way i think it would work is if it was a big budget Live-Action movie. The actors would have sweet costumes on and they could do a ton with the special effects like when ppl use techniques and weapons, plus the enemies and all, ooooo im drooling just thinkin about it!

WHOA WHOA WHOA i wouldn't want to waste my money on another hulk(2 hours of bullsh@#) type movie.....

Sashi
Sep 15, 2003, 02:25 PM
On 2003-09-15 09:56, RAwill wrote:
if they ever got enough pennys together for the movie it would be turned all kiddie and theyd probably make it like "yu gi go away" with pathetic stupid cards! just like theyve ruined EPIII with cards.....WEAPONS ARE WAY MORE FUN!!! stupid sonic team. and FF the movie looked very amazing but it didnt really follow with the games medieval magical sort of theme which suked http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Ya, I love totting around my Actual Double Saber. I take it to school, and do all theses awsome moves, showing off. Because it isn't a virtual weapon in a game, It's real!!!1

On 2003-09-15 07:58, Huntley wrote:

Hey, I remember a few years ago, when everyone said a FF movie would kick ass.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sashi on 2003-09-15 12:27 ]</font>

Sashi
Sep 15, 2003, 03:48 PM
Edit- Weird double post...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sashi on 2003-09-15 13:49 ]</font>

NeiLast
Sep 15, 2003, 04:13 PM
I have thought of a Phantasy Star plot that would make a good movie... a good Sci-Fi movie with real themes.

The Phantasty Star 2 plot is by far the best for this.
----------------------
First, we need to just NOT CARE about exact names of people or places. Don't call the main character Rolf, maybe only keep Nei, and leave the rest to whatever sounds best today.
Mother Brain should become just "mother". The governor should have a first name. So should the librarian... etc.

Also, we must take a lot of liberty with the lines... there are a lot of short compressed dialog in a 16 bit game where every character counted towards the max space allowed.

It doesn't have to be exact, only keep the good parts that higlight the themes and develop the characters. For instance, no need to have FOUR dams to unseal, that would make the movie way too long. In other words, extract the "video gameness" from it and leave the cool plot behind (and fix it up a bit).

Why is the PS 2 plot so good? Because it isn't a typical RPG plot, is actually a great combination of dark and hopeful, and most of all, is not a Final Fantasty type plot. Let me summarize the parts that are worth keeping.

Main character: An orphan who was raised by the governor and is now an "agent" in a world with no worries...
Most people don't even work, "Mother" takes care of all their needs. In many ways a Utopian vision, but right away we see how awful this is. People are lazy and stupid, no care in the world but not much real freedom either. In the game there were tons of quotes from the citizenry that highlight how lazy/bored they are. Some are enjoying life and might work somewhere, but the masses just wander, eat, sleep... no motivation or drive. "Mother," a giant supercomputer that no one knows who built, other than it has been about 300 years, runs tons of automated systems, robots, etc.

The Agent lives on Motavia, an underpopulated farming planet that produces nearly all the food for the solar system, with the planet Palma overpopulated and depending on this food.
Motavia was previously a desert planet, but was terraformed to have a lot more moisture. The third planet is an icy wasteland, mostly a giant mining operation + ice. No one (officially) has traveled between the planets for 10 years.

Only a few even have jobs. And most jobs are part time at best. The mixture of Utopia and existential hell abounds.

The agent has a new friend of the past couple months. Someone who is not human, but close. Nei has grown from looking like a 12 year old to an 18 year old in these two months, is extremely intelligent and a mystery to everyone. She was saved in a mission a couple months ago and remembers little.
The Governor has a new mission, and with Nei tagging along, the agent investigates.

Something is going very wrong. The climate controlled farm world is in a huge drought, and no one knows why. After all, "Mother" takes care of that. What's going on? The few remaining people who can even dare figure the mystery out must be found.

Rolf goes on a mission into the countryside, away from the largest city on the planet (which isn't that large on Motavia).

On the way, Nei and him save a girl from some bandits, and it is revealed how far things have declined just recently. Bandits are new... or at least bandits not hunted down by the robot cops. Apparently the bored masses found something to do with their free time. Pillage and loot.

Also in the country side are several mutated creatures... perhaps something is wrong with the genetic engineering labs where the crops and livestock are engineered? They investigate, and with the help of some new friends (some of the few skilled individuals) quickly extract data from the biolab. Returning to the capital, it is revealed that all of the automated systems, climate, bio-engineering, etc. are just out of whack.
Has Mother broken? What is wrong?

The government of Palma wants the climate situation resolved because they are on the brink of mass famine.
The new collection of individuals (now about 6 or 7 peple) heads off in the only remaining known hovercraft from the capital to the climate control system (skipping all the game stuff here as fluff... not enough room). There, in the middle of the ocean, are more strange creatures, and in control of the whole thing someone that looks just like Nei.... Without much of an explanation they begin to fight...
Double: "Hello Nei, I didn't think I'd ever see you again."
Nei: "I had fortotten you existed, Nei"
Double:"Call me NeiFirst" (evil grin).
Nei:"We don't know who was first."
Agent: "Nei! Who is she?"
Nei: "I, we, no She, She did it!"
(others): -confusion-
Fight (a cool one http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif ), Nei gets a serious wound.
Others attack 'NeiFirst' and she goes down. Returning to Nei, the last thing she says is that they can't live without each other, one's death is the others. (with better chosen words, I hope).

Its a sad moment, about 60% through the movie. In the game this was maybe 40% of the game time, but much of the rest is fluff.

The others return as the climate control system seems to go crazy, but they just don't understand it. In the capitol, they are hushed away to the governor in private, they meet up with the analysis team from before and debrief. From here on I'll call "the agent" Rolf becuse "the agent" is cumbersome and I'm too lazy to change the top half of this message; I don't like the name Rolf in the game though.
Rolf is informed that the climate control system is now flooding the farming resevoir, but the dam is not open and a catastrophe is about to occur. The group immediately jumps to their feet to go solve the problem but they are interrupted:
"Rolf, the Palman government has declared you the criminal who corrupted the systems here and perhaps Mother. You're going to have to leave."

The group heads out to the dam. They are attacked / persued by every robot on the way. Fortunately, they're mostly dumb and/or slow. Farming robots are easy to run from. In the Dam, there are other maintenence robots that immediately recongnize them and persue. Again the amazement is that every automated system is after them, but fortunately not everything is autmated, and some of the skilled people in the group override doors, etc and get to the main control. The dam is opened, and Motavia saved, but in the process some policing robots catch them, and they are transported to the sattelite jail. A large jail, with no escape, and no other "criminals". It looks like maybe hundreds of years ago it was used, but now there are just some maintenence droids. After very brief wandering in the place, they can even see the control station and a flashing display that says the satellite is on a collision course to Palma. Worse, EVERY sattelite, or at least almost all of them, are headed there.
----
in the game this single satellite crashes into the planet and it explodes.... this just doesn't make sense. Rather, Having tens of thousands of them stream to the planet and bombard it however, is different.
-------
before this prison crashes, they are suprisingly teleported to a pirate ship.
From there, the Space Pirate Tyler explains to them what he sees as going on: Mother looks insane or broken. He hated Palman lazy society and long ago aquired a ship when there were still ships going between the planets regularly. Their vital signs were the first off planet he has seen in 10 years. He's not really a pirate anyway, just a salvage expert. Mother leaves a lot of useful stuff up here.

He returns them to Motavia, and the Governor tells Rolf that he should go to Dezo (the ice planet). He refuses to tell him why, other than that there is someone there that may help. Someone who he has met but surely does not recall. After all, he remembers little before the age of 11 and the accident that cost his parents their lives ... the last passenger flight from palma to motavia.

Dezo is a barren icy wasteland with a barren gigantic mining operation. Mining robots recognize and try to persue the group, but they also aren't to fast. The group finds some items and newspaper clippings by the mine.... some funny hats and newspaper clippings. Clippings about some catastrophe that took out the mine and most miners. 10 years ago.

----
the mogic/magic hat part can be skipped if there isn't enough time just forget the cats and have the desorians speak english
---------

There are a bunch of cats walking around. One party member puts a funny hat on and is startled, takes it off. Puts it on... staring at the cats. They're talking!... when the hat is on. But they're foul mouthed and mean. Another puts on a different hat... and has a normal conversation....
avoinding too many details in my explanation they find out that one of the hats "works" and causes them to have a normal conversation, the others are broken and cause the conversation to seem like both parties hate each other. Weird, hats to talk to cats. The cats have very little info though.
Off they along what looks like a road from long ago. They get to a village with strange tall green skinned people they can't understand.
They put on the"working" hat and find that these people are very strange, the conversation makes sense but each Desorian contraticts another. They switch to the hat that doesn't work for the cat, and now they can understand each other just fine.
Probably some comical events can take place with misunderstandings and bad interpretations.

Anyhow, they find out that they should go see the 'esper'. Some desorians (the younger ones, but they all look 100 years old) don't believe he exists.

Basically, they go to the place and find him, In the game his name is Lutz, but whatever's clever for the movie. He wakes up and debriefs Rolf about the accident 10 years ago and how this guy saved him with his powers.
Tells him there is something frightening on "noah" the ship where Mother exists. He also provides them with weapons and equipment from long ago, before Mother made the people of Palm weak and lazy, ripe for an easy catastrophe.

They go there for the final confrontation.
The final confrontation starts out very generic.
Dark Force is taken out, it would just confuse the audience, or would take 30 minutes extra film to explain and provide the right context. The best theme is really what comes next. After some simpe travel and dangers that their new weapons take out easily, and conversation to convey the confusion of the party and the situation, they find Mother.
Mother patronizes them, they ask why palma was destroyed, what is wrong. Mother ignores, askes if her children think they can live on their own, they need her they are nothing without them.
Someone should think of some good dialog (better than the stuff in PS2) and then they fight. With the weapons they brought from Dezo, it doesn't take too much, but is very dangerous and life threatening with just about everything and anything in the area brought to be a source of danger from Mother.
But in the end they think that was too easy.

The big plot twist ending is coming....
They think there's more, and in the back room, there's another door. They go through it into a gigantic room filled with people. All of them have their eyes on Rolf and company.
Amongst the party ("are these the people who created mother brain?" , "were they in controll of her?" "who the hell are they?".

Man at front:"Welcome Strangers. There are bold individuals left in this place after all."
Long story short, they ask questions, Yes they made Mother. No they aren't from this solar system..... they're from a place called Earth. Why? Earth was destroyed long ago.
Many questions are not answered, but much seems revealed. The looks on their faces when they don't answer some questions are all the answers that Rolf and company need. Earth people built a Mother, and got lazy too. But it was controlled by an elite, the ancesters of these people. Somehow all was destroyed. Maybe war, maybe something else. But these people came to Palma and built what seemed to be a dream come true for the Palmans. But it was just probably their plan to take over. The Earthlings wanted control.... It is not completely clear if their motivations were to take over and colonize after destroying Palma, or something else.
One of Rolf's company aims his weapon at the apparent leader. He laughs and askes if he thinks he can really take out the hundreds of earthings here with just these 7 people.
Each person replies on their own, and Rolf proclaims that regardless of the outcome the people of this system will be free. Battle starts, and fade to black.

The end, but during the credits we see what looks like a large space station (like the one where Mother and the earthlings are) explode against a backdrop of Dezo as viewed from space. We see images of motavians building their own buildings and living their lives without robots everywhere doing everything for them, both sad and uplifting.
--------------------------

Well, the above needs some work and more emphasis on a clear theme and good character development.
But I thnk Phantasy Star 2 has the best plot and the best possiblilty of a real theme, even of the kind that many Sci-Fi stories have done many times.

Genoa
Sep 15, 2003, 04:17 PM
I think they could make a Phantasy Star movie but Final Fantasy??? No way. Its strickly RPG. Just imagine the movie in the ACTUAL FF format. Cloud and his party walking and all of the sudden, a shinra soldier comes out and tifa kicks him in the balz and Berret shoots the **** outa him... I just can't see a Rpg being a movie, unless its Action or Adventure RPG. Like PSO :0

Zaneatron
Sep 15, 2003, 04:36 PM
lets not forget some of the main aims in ps/pso
a) leveling up: how are they going to show this in a film
b) rares: how are they going to explain an enemy dropping an uber rare, it works in the game but in real-life action it isnt going to really work
c)items,mags and telepipes: yet again how does an enemy drop a monomate or anything else for that matter? how will mags be fed? how are telepipes going to work?

I would really love to see a pso film, animated or live action, i dont really care. but it has to hold true to its ethics, u cant just pass off these problems. i know how i'd feel if they left this stuff off, pretty pissed off!

Reenee
Sep 15, 2003, 04:42 PM
On 2003-09-15 14:36, Zane-online wrote:
lets not forget some of the main aims in ps/pso
a) leveling up: how are they going to show this in a film
b) rares: how are they going to explain an enemy dropping an uber rare, it works in the game but in real-life action it isnt going to really work
c)items,mags and telepipes: yet again how does an enemy drop a monomate or anything else for that matter? how will mags be fed? how are telepipes going to work?

I would really love to see a pso film, animated or live action, i dont really care. but it has to hold true to its ethics, u cant just pass off these problems. i know how i'd feel if they left this stuff off, pretty pissed off!

We're watching a story, not a game being played in our faces. THINK.

Oh, and the link provided in the first post has some sucktacular "promotional" ads.

Zaneatron
Sep 15, 2003, 05:41 PM
the main point im making reenee is that i dont want to see the film chars taking on falz with sabre's and handguns and canes. i want to see some progression through weapons otherwise it would be lame. also u need photon blasts and so fourth to jazz up this film and special attacks. but i feel this point has already been made, what u seeem to be implying is a "hollywood" film. what im implyong is a film based on a game made by someone not related to hollywood in a great way

Sashi
Sep 15, 2003, 07:07 PM
On 2003-09-15 15:41, Zane-online wrote:
the main point im making reenee is that i dont want to see the film chars taking on falz with sabre's and handguns and canes. i want to see some progression through weapons otherwise it would be lame. also u need photon blasts and so fourth to jazz up this film and special attacks. but i feel this point has already been made, what u seeem to be implying is a "hollywood" film. what im implyong is a film based on a game made by someone not related to hollywood in a great way

Thats called an "Idependent Film" just FYI.

Huntley
Sep 16, 2003, 04:56 AM
Hey...hey remember when they came out with the first power rangers movie, and it was all cool with their suped up ranger outfits, that was cool...there ya goo, yehhh.

Zaneatron
Sep 16, 2003, 01:41 PM
On 2003-09-15 17:07, Sashi wrote:

On 2003-09-15 15:41, Zane-online wrote:

Thats called an "Idependent Film" just FYI.

i guess so but i was just making a point in a rather long-winded way

Moo2u
Sep 16, 2003, 05:58 PM
On 2003-09-15 12:25, Sashi wrote:

On 2003-09-15 09:56, RAwill wrote:

Ya, I love totting around my Actual Double Saber. I take it to school, and do all theses awsome moves, showing off. Because it isn't a virtual weapon in a game, It's real!!!1

On 2003-09-15 07:58, Huntley wrote:

Hey, I remember a few years ago, when everyone said a FF movie would kick ass.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sashi on 2003-09-15 12:27 ]</font>

Some people liked the FF moive. I'm sure if a PS movie was made, some people would like it too. I mean, come on people. Video game movies have become better and better with the more they do. I say bring it on!

Huntley
Sep 17, 2003, 11:30 AM
lets not forget Mortal Kombat...the first one that is, the second was terrible