PDA

View Full Version : Sunlight Helps Review Games

Reenee
Sep 18, 2003, 12:05 AM
I'm reading the latest GameInformer at Barnes & Noble today, and I came across the Boktai review.

Now, to smush you with info: Boktai is a unique GBA game where a solar panel add-on is included with the game. The game mostly relies on this panel because the main hero of Boktai has a laser beam with infinite ammo, but is powered by the sun...our sun. The more sunlight there is, the more powerful his lasergun's attacks will be. Boktai is so reliant on this that you can't proceed to defeat some bosses unless the sun is out to power this cell. Indoor lamps don't fool it, windows actually decrease the sunlight flow, and just using reserves from the solar bank will be quickly depleted.

To proceed, I've already read a review for Boktai in the latest EGM (the one with SOCOM II on the cover), and they found it great, the scores being 9.0, 8.0, and 8.5 (out of 10, where 10 is the very zenith of perfection).

The ingrate who reviewed Boktai in GameInformer, however, gave it a 5 (out of 10; same as EGM). Why? 'Cause he couldn't find the right conditions to play the damn game in.

Worse yet, his review was that very complaint. No mention whatsoever about how it plays. This person even wrote along the lines of, "I don't care about the revolutionary gameplay," at the end of the review.

What the hell is that? How in the friggin' hell is ONE complaint supposed to help a buyer decide? This is not how a review is done.

The rest of the magazines I've read gave the game high ratings, and they all acknowledge the same problem, but they manage to deal with it anyways.

ABDUR101
Sep 18, 2003, 12:07 PM
...Dear God...thats...genius..

..well now parents don't have to say "Why don't you go outside and get some sun if you're going to play games?", now kids are going to want to go outside just to get sun for their game. XD

Too bad I only have a GBA player, or I'd go buy it. ,_,

As for the craptastic reviewer, thats why you read from multiple sources.

Reenee
Sep 18, 2003, 10:53 PM
On 2003-09-18 10:07, ABDUR101 wrote:

..well now parents don't have to say "Why don't you go outside and get some sun if you're going to play games?", now kids are going to want to go outside just to get sun for their game. XD

Another stroke of genius by Mr. Metal Gear, Hideo Kojima.

Chicks dig the new Torchic Orange GBA SP.

I'm going to complain to GI about their "review", and that, sir, is one of the best reasons yet.

Vanango
Sep 19, 2003, 08:41 AM
too bad there is no sun here.

besides, I'm a night person.

starhealer
Sep 19, 2003, 11:48 AM
I've seen reviews for this game before, as well. I've wanted it ever since, too. Kojima is a frigging genius.

But you know what's funny? That same reviewer probably gave Final Fantasy X a 10/10, even though it doesn't even remotely deserve it. *sigh* Some people just can't spot innovation when they see it.

Dime
Sep 19, 2003, 11:50 AM
A game is a game, it shouldn't need special requirements just to play it, if I paid 40 bucks for it and lived in Dublin I'd be pretty pissed off.

starhealer
Sep 19, 2003, 02:00 PM
Um, but special requirements often times add a layer of gameplay that otherwise wouldn't be there. Without special requirements, we'd just have rehash after rehash.

But let me guess, you're also against Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles because of the GBA requirement for multi-player, hmm?

Besides, it knocks up the developers' thinking a bit. They realise they can do more things with consoles/handhelds/what-have-you. For us gamers, that means more variety in the type of games we play and the fun we have.

Dime
Sep 19, 2003, 02:13 PM
The problem is the game FULLY depends on this, and it's not fair if you do not have access to sunlight when you want to play. Most people with jobs, or school play at night anyway.

Reenee
Sep 19, 2003, 05:30 PM
On 2003-09-19 12:13, Dime wrote:
The problem is the game FULLY depends on this, and it's not fair if you do not have access to sunlight when you want to play. Most people with jobs, or school play at night anyway.

Not so. The game can hold solar reserves so you can play at night. The only real trouble is when you want to fight a boss.

Dime
Sep 19, 2003, 05:38 PM
On 2003-09-19 15:30, Reenee wrote:

Not so. The game can hold solar reserves so you can play at night. The only real trouble is when you want to fight a boss.

There shouldn't be any problems after you PAY for a game.

Uncle_bob
Sep 19, 2003, 06:02 PM
What if it's raining? What if you live in a cave? What if the sun suddenly exploded? What if you live on Pluto? I'd be pretty damn pissed off unless I could get a refund.

Kupi
Sep 19, 2003, 06:12 PM
Considering that it's such an integral feature to the game, I'd think they would mention it on the box... in which case, there's no excuse for not knowing about it.

ABDUR101
Sep 19, 2003, 06:24 PM
...I was going to mention the plight of the gamers in the UK, but did'nt want to seem rude. =X

Ah well. Thats the luck of the draw right?

Reenee
Sep 20, 2003, 12:36 AM
On 2003-09-19 15:38, Dime wrote:

On 2003-09-19 15:30, Reenee wrote:

There shouldn't be any problems after you PAY for a game.

What the hell are you doing outside late at night--

Shit. I just fueled spam posts. Where the hell is that squirrel?

Soukosa
Sep 20, 2003, 02:52 AM
Reenee wrote:
Chicks dig the new Torchic Orange GBA SP.

Personally, I wouldn't, but I know my sister would, she loves orange.

Reenee wrote:
I'm going to complain to GI about their "review", and that, sir, is one of the best reasons yet.

After going through my free year of GI, I've learned not to expect much from them, especially in the reviewing department.

Vanango wrote:
besides, I'm a night person.

Same here, sorta. I tend to stay up quite late (almost 4 am when I write this) and not get up until after the morning's almost done.

tiltnkirby26
Sep 20, 2003, 09:57 AM
On 2003-09-18 10:07, ABDUR101 wrote:

Some here; no money http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif. I think that the sun thing is a thinking outside the box kind of thing. I really want to play that game just for the hell of it.

hollowtip
Sep 20, 2003, 06:55 PM
Well I hope this game didn't just get a good review because it's innovative. It sounds like a weird novelty to me, but I'm going to play it anyways and judge for myself.

I think people give Hideo Kojima a little more credit than he deserves. I know he has made a lot of revolutionary games and all, but some people go a little overboard. He is willing to take risks and innovate where other developers don't, that's why I think he has become so successful.

alredy_taken
Sep 20, 2003, 07:34 PM
My little brother got it today but before we got home and he could play it it was too dark but it turns out that a black light will fool the solar sensor.

ChokingVictim
Sep 21, 2003, 11:21 PM
Boktai only confirms that Kojima, although a genius, is
BAT SHIT INSANE!!!

Itagaki is still my fave eccentric japanese designer though... All the leather suits... like an asian Jim Morrison kinda vibe...