PDA

View Full Version : What does hacking/dupe mean to you?

Zysis
Sep 21, 2003, 05:11 PM
Pretty much the topic but also feel to post your opions ^_^
also, be truthful. Alot of people say they are wrong but they use them!

Mman2000
Sep 21, 2003, 05:46 PM
Hacking: It should have never happened

Duping: It should only be used to back up items you don't want to lose if you get corrupted.

I don't respect anyone who cheats, period.

Cerris
Sep 21, 2003, 05:49 PM
normally im legit, but, my dark side gets the bedda
of meh sumtimes

VioletSkye
Sep 21, 2003, 06:18 PM
These polls are lame. Have you not seen how many of these topics have been locked.

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=66078&forum=4&3 LOCKED

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=65453&forum=4&49 LOCKED

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=57311&forum=4&18 LOCKED

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=65261&forum=4&32 LOCKED

Do we really need another stupid poll like this?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2003-09-21 16:19 ]</font>

Zysis
Sep 21, 2003, 08:26 PM
I know the poll might be boring but still look at the world today. Every game made has cheats or someone makes hacks.... Some people live just to hack into games but my question is why would you want to? It is immpossible not to have a game (online or offline) without cheating...

Shattered_weasel
Sep 21, 2003, 10:02 PM
us dupers will own you all

VioletSkye
Sep 22, 2003, 01:37 AM
On 2003-09-21 18:26, Zysis wrote:
I know the poll might be boring but still look at the world today. Every game made has cheats or someone makes hacks.... Some people live just to hack into games but my question is why would you want to? It is immpossible not to have a game (online or offline) without cheating...

I suppose if people can behave and not flame each other, then the poll is ok, but often times it simply serves as a platform for people to start arguing back and forth (not that I haven't been guilty of that myself on certain topics lol) I think the cyberculture in which we live in has changed dramatically which I know is not an overly profound thought (I'm sure most of us realize that). When I was younger, I had the opportunity to play Atari 2600, Intellivision and Coleco. Then when I was in High school NES came out and I was addicted to that. Back then you pretty much had to play the game the way it was meant to be played. We didn't have all the cheat codes and cheat devices that you have now. But I remember that during my SNES years, I started reading alot of videogame magazines and often times they posted cheat codes for certain games. I was totally enthralled with cheats for along time. I would even rent games that had cheat codes posted just to check them out. I think over the years, people have come to expect those little extras in their games. Hell it seemed like almost every SNES or Playstation game had cheat codes. As for PC games, well, thats a no brainer, its alot easier to edit pc games and make programs for them. Look at how "cool" hacking seems these days. The word hacker is a household name and most kids find it fascinating. Also take into account that many, many more people are computer literate and have the knowledge to explore different programs. That mentality finds its way into the gaming scene also. The problem then becomes one of power vs. patience. For those that have the patience the game can be very rewarding when played legit. For those without as much patience, they may find it more fun to try and breeze through the game and see everything. BTW don't confuse patience with skill. There are some extremely skilled cheaters that play the game. I personally don't receive any satisfaction from finding items myself, so I duped to get most of the things I have. That doesn't mean that there are things in my life that I don't work hard at. I have worked very hard to accomplish personal goals. The reason I mention this is because for some reason, people can't seem to discern between the game and real life. They ignorantly assume that if I cheat in the game then I must be morally corrupt in real life. Its a stupid assumption, but unfortunately it happens alot. Some players forget that for other people the game is just a fun little way to waste some time, its not a way of life for us. Personally, when I play online I am very respectful of other people (especially legits) and I NEVER intrude into their games and take over. When I create a game and a legit enters, I invite them to adventure with me, and I'm careful to make sure they get their share of exp also.

Anyway to answer your question, I think there are many factors involved. The current state of technology, the fact that we have almost instant gratification and don't have to wait for things, and also the fact that many gamers grew up with having access to so many cheat codes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2003-09-21 23:43 ]</font>

Cerris
Sep 22, 2003, 06:58 AM
how long did it take you write that?!?!
it is incredible! or did you have it prewritten for just such an occasion? Google: long speeches about cheating in video games. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/drakee.gif

XR-34
Sep 22, 2003, 09:19 AM
back in the DC days when hacking was very very easily done, i only hacked for the "benefit" of other players. i would use the duping code (not the duping TRICK) to give needy players some extra weps in place for those that they lost to NOL and BSOD. i would also give them money and recovery items, especially scape dolls. it really fealt good to protect legit lvl 1 players from really powerful enemies. i made lotsa buddies doing that. i know that now with Action Replay i probly wont be able to "hack" like i did in the DC days, but i hope i can at least back up my rare items incase the BSOD strikes again. maybe even it'll be time for the roles to be reversed and i might meet some hacker like me who will help me out on tough levels.

VioletSkye
Sep 22, 2003, 12:06 PM
On 2003-09-22 04:58, Cerris wrote:
how long did it take you write that?!?!
it is incredible! or did you have it prewritten for just such an occasion? Google: long speeches about cheating in video games. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/drakee.gif

Uhhhhh yeah I have an entire harddrive full of prewritten posts that I can spring forth for any occassion LOL. Actually it didn't really take that long to write. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

jt
Sep 22, 2003, 03:10 PM
bad side to this post, it may get shutdown...

good side cheaters cant be respected in my opinion... but i do think that if ST would patrol their dam game, when someone got FSOD or for you gamecube people, FSOD-X, THEY should be the one to replace your lost items, kinda like insurance http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif ST are so stupid in making sure their game runs smoothly

Zysis
Sep 25, 2003, 06:09 PM
VioleteSkye that was very good! and that is a good idea to have post just ready go....hmm
anyway i guess along with all the hacking there should be programs made to stop and prtect against it right? they use it on e-mail so why don't they use it on games? hackers always seem to be ahead...and yes hacking seems cool to many kids now

tank1
Sep 26, 2003, 07:01 AM
when hcking is used for good i.e helping noobs or makeing the occassional funn y looking wep its ok but when idiots who think its funny to Nol people etc start going on rampages and destroying every1s hard earnt characters then thats just gay!

jt
Sep 26, 2003, 07:50 AM
On 2003-09-26 05:01, tank1 wrote:
when hcking is used for good i.e helping noobs or makeing the occassional funn y looking wep its ok but when idiots who think its funny to Nol people etc start going on rampages and destroying every1s hard earnt characters then thats just gay!

helping nOObs how?

pancakebunny
Sep 26, 2003, 08:02 AM
.....its cheating.....and n00bs shouldnt get any special help....thats the problem anyway, too many n00bs

gallaugher
Sep 26, 2003, 09:36 AM
If there are too many n00bs then nice people should help them out & teach them how to play. Then there's less n00bs. You two seem to love that term.

Da_Wrecka
Sep 26, 2003, 03:47 PM
On 2003-09-26 07:36, gallaugher wrote:
If there are too many n00bs then nice people should help them out & teach them how to play. Then there's less n00bs. You two seem to love that term.

There's a difference between newbies and n00bs. Newbies are simply new, and yet to learn the subtleties of whatever the subject of the hour is. n00bs are usually wilfully ignorant and say useless crap like "butt ass shit bitch ass"* and go "omgwtfstfu" if you try to tell them that running up to something and poking it with a Stick +10 is going to get them badly biffed.

*Credit to Gabe and Tycho of Penny Arcade for that one - see the http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-01-07&res=l strip

jt
Sep 26, 2003, 03:59 PM
On 2003-09-26 13:47, Da_Wrecka wrote:

On 2003-09-26 07:36, gallaugher wrote:

There's a difference between newbies and n00bs. Newbies are simply new, and yet to learn the subtleties of whatever the subject of the hour is. n00bs are usually wilfully ignorant and say useless crap like "butt ass shit bitch ass"* and go "omgwtfstfu" if you try to tell them that running up to something and poking it with a Stick +10 is going to get them badly biffed.

*Credit to Gabe and Tycho of Penny Arcade for that one - see the http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-01-07&res=l strip

exactly, and plus hacking items for nOObs only make them more of a nOOb, newbs on the other hand, i will gladly show them the ropes.

plus, u didnt answer my question; how does "good hacking" help nOOBs???