PDA

View Full Version : OFFLINE C-Mode - Recommended team

Jazhara
Sep 24, 2003, 06:47 AM
Hi

A lot of people I talk to want to play offline C-Mode, but find it difficult. A good, reliable team for offline C-Mode is:

RAcast (lets face it any muppet can play a RA http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif).
HUcast
HUcaseal
FOnewearl

Note this is not necessarily the fastest team for a good map, but a very reliable team to clear the map regardless of skill and number of enemies.

The players should be in this order:

Weakest player
RAcast
HUcaseal
FOnewearl
HUcast
Best player

The HUcast and RAcast should swap Mags at the start. If no-one of the team is a C-Mode expert, replace the HUcast with a HUcaseal and have the most experienced player be the FOnewearl.

The RAcast (i.e. the biggest n00b) should hand back in doorways and keep enemies off the Hunters, and go box collecting when the chance arises. As soon as a second gun is found, the RA should give their gun to the HUcaseal, who then does the same if low on mates.

While not super-fast, a team of Shifta'd players all using guns will clear almost any run in under 7 hours, which is the point after all.

As I said at the top, this is intended to help people who don't have 4 friends who are regular PSO-ers, but want to draft mates (that will have very limited skill) in for an evening to get their offline weapons.

It's not intended to help teams of people who all own PSO - they don't need any help. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

VulpesMundi
Sep 24, 2003, 07:48 AM
Sounds pretty good. But I'd personally make a few changes to your suggestions...

Having a RA offline is actually a lot better than online since teammates don't have to deal with cancelled damage offline. But I would always recommend a RAcaseal first. She's just as hardy as a RAcast, but with higher ATA meaning she can use better guns sooner and more accurately. She only has an average of 5 or so ATP less, and in the long run that calculates to around 2 damage on a heavy attack. Missing less, she could wind up doing more damage in the long run than a RAcast using the same weapon.

Another suggestion I would make is to have the best player be the force. Forces are rediculously over-powerful in E1&2, but they still can die easily if the player is not careful. An expert C-mode force player is worth her/his weight in gold.

HUcast, HUcaseal, RAcaseal, and FOnewearl would make an excellent offline team that simply wants to clear C-mode with a time below the S-rank requirement.

Saber-class and partisan-class weapons should go to the HUcast first. Sword-class and dagger-class weapons should go to the HUcaseal first. Guns of any kind should go to the RAcaseal first, and the HUcaseal should only use guns if she has a better one than her melee weapons (assuming the RAcaseal rejected it). The FOnewearl has no need for weapons beyond collecting for switches in c2, c8, and c9.

If you really want to push for a full-on gun team, then it would probably be better to remove the HUcast and put in another HUcaseal. HUcaseal is the only HU that can immediately use a Mechgun in c5 and an Assault in c9. Plus she can also use an Autogun immediately in c4 and a Lockgun (RA begins with this) immediately in c9.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2003-09-24 05:58 ]</font>

AxemPunanny
Sep 25, 2003, 01:38 PM
On 2003-09-24 05:48, VulpesMundi wrote:

Another suggestion I would make is to have the best player be the force. Forces are rediculously over-powerful in E1&2, but they still can die easily if the player is not careful. An expert C-mode force player is worth her/his weight in gold.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2003-09-24 05:58 ]</font>

You both have good insights. I do agree with having the force as the most experience player. I've had to do that because the other 3 players aren't confident with forces. Forces really have to see the whole area. They not only have to look at who needs healing, they should be the primary box openers, item distributor, monitor both their HP and TP, while avoiding getting hit or dying since they are the weakest in terms of HP and Def. I'm not saying that the force should do all the box opening or item distribution, but you generally would like the main attackers to start beating up on the baddies first and foremost, while the weaker person do the "grunt" work. Again, I had to do that with 3 inexperience players; being the most experience player (by far) and the only one that knows the maps.

We are actually working on a third time. This time someone else is the force, while I'm one of the 3 hunters. Of course, we are killing faster. Unfortunately, the inexperience already got to us early, near the end of C3. that was a great level at the time too. 1 hunter had daggers with 85a, and I had 95a brand, just flying thru a pretty good map. Until lil force died. that was everyone's fault, as it wasn't communicated very well by all of us, that the force had died earlier.

MasterJoel
Sep 26, 2003, 09:01 AM
shifta and resta are the primary jobs of the FO.. then comes killing. i highly suggest the FO watch their exp, as the closer one gets to their level, the more tp they can consume. remember: gaining a level raises your hp/tp to the max, so that can be used as an important strategy as well.

if you are going to do it offline with four people, one does not need to rigorously control the character class of the people... let your friends be what they want, keeping the 2HU 1RA 1 FO structure, of course. i would think that a rigid class structure is only important if you had only 2 or 1 friends to help you... and anyhow, letting them choose will make them want to come back and play with you. play nice...

Gradius
Oct 2, 2003, 11:39 AM
How about for 2 character, offline, solo play? Which classes and strategies would be best?

Capricornus
Oct 3, 2003, 05:57 AM
On 2003-10-02 09:39, Gradius wrote:
How about for 2 character, offline, solo play? Which classes and strategies would be best?

Hmmm, thats a tricky one.
I played Cmode offline last weekend with my 2 friends and there was no doubt about the team: 1HUct, 1 Hucl and 1 FOnl. We had to replay some maps a few times (my friends just discovered the game) but at the end it went pretty well and we had a lot of fun.
2 player offline is a whole other thing though. I would take a HUct (or HUcl) for sure. The second player gets my question mark. A FO is not really advised, seen the fact that you reach the 0 TP bar rather quickly (and a FO with no TP is rather useless) You can try to calculate the fluid use regarding the next level up and healing rings (TP die not advised at all) but all in all it will result in a FO not being really active in battle. My bet would be a ranger (to save up mates, preferably a Ramarl for her techs she can use as well)
Good luck anyway, you'll need it (I dont see a 2 player Cmode offline finishing within 7 hours though, but it is a lot of fun. I hope you can complete it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

VulpesMundi
Oct 3, 2003, 12:43 PM
My recommendation for a two player C-mode team would be a HUmar and a HUcaseal. They both have decent ATP and ATA, allowing them the power and accuracy to fight well.

The HUmar has the second highest ATP, just a little bit less than the HUcast, so he can use the better melee weapons fairly quickly. HUmar can use Mind mats and eventually spell disks, doubling as a makeshift force (at least as far as Resta is concerned, and perhaps Zalure on De Rol Le and Dark Falz). I don't really recommend a HUnewearl simply because her ATP and ATA are far too low, but if you get lucky and find good weapons and lots of Power mats and units she'll be a more effective makeshift force than the HUmar since she can use Shifta (and Deband if the going is rough in higher levels).

The HUcaseal can lay traps to support battle (Freeze and Confusion traps can be a lifesaver). Her biggest plus is that she can use guns rather quickly, giving her a strong ranger capability to conserve mates. If you're lucky enough to find an arm unit or two she can use any handgun in any stage, all the way through c9. Also, she can immediately use a Mechgun from c5 and up. And if you believe in your good fortune, you can even try using two HUcaseals and go gun-running with both of them. In this case mates should rarely be an issue.

The only difficulty having two hunters may cause is the Canadines in c5 and c6. For that a HUcaseal's Damage traps can knock a Canadine out of the air, but she has a very limited supply, so you'll need to quickly find either a gun or a low level offensive tech if you have a tech user. Otherwise you're going to waste a lot of time waiting for Canadines to come down to ground level.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2003-10-03 10:48 ]</font>

polishedweasel
Oct 3, 2003, 12:58 PM
Wow Vulpes, you really know what you're talking about. Wanna do some C mode sometime? I never got to beat it, and I'm currently a RA-Gou, so not too far either. Meh.

MasterJoel
Oct 3, 2003, 04:31 PM
On 2003-10-03 10:58, polishedweasel wrote:
Wow Vulpes, you really know what you're talking about. Wanna do some C mode sometime? I never got to beat it, and I'm currently a RA-Gou, so not too far either. Meh.

i'm sure vulpes or any of his growing cultist members such as i would love to help you if you came to cmode friday or wednesday. the only thing that we like is if you to listen to directions... unless you really are an expert in disguise, and i'll shut up now...