PDA

View Full Version : why does the suggest ideal equipment guide for a fonewm sugg

tragichero242
Sep 26, 2003, 05:24 PM
I thought it only increases your weapon speed right?

I just find that odd considering I thought the purpose of a fonewm was for the techs?

Firocket1690
Sep 26, 2003, 05:30 PM
... to swing his cane/rod/card/handgun/saber/weapon
a lot faster.
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Soukosa
Sep 26, 2003, 05:36 PM
Alot of the things in that guide make no sense.

Kamatz
Sep 26, 2003, 05:36 PM
Heh. ^_^; God/Battles are usefull for almost any character. If you use a weapon, chances are you could use one of these. For forces, who're likely going to be using some sort of Giest weapon when they aren't beating the snot out of everything in the room (Geez... They just get pissed off and monsters fall over!), this could mean 10-20% boost in efficiency with said weapons because they're swinging/shooting a good deal faster.

StrongBad
Sep 26, 2003, 05:38 PM
Doesn't it also make them cast their techs faster?

Bit
Sep 26, 2003, 05:39 PM
No, Battle units are for the attacking with a weapon, I don't think it increases casting time what so ever.

Stalfos333
Sep 26, 2003, 06:53 PM
It doesn't. It'll speed up tech special attacks on weapons, though. Like the foie of the Elysion, for instance. Not how fast they travel, though.

Blue-Hawk
Sep 26, 2003, 07:13 PM
Well, I havent seen the force guide lately, but maybe they meant for that to be a God/Tech.

hucasts_rock
Sep 26, 2003, 08:54 PM
well, if you're a high levelled FOnewm, made a power mag, and want to have a little fun, g-bat could be useful http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

PABLOparavida
Sep 26, 2003, 09:33 PM
I like the god/battle. Kill them before they can even get close to you. I'm a ramar. So I kill with my guns. HEE Hee

tragichero242
Sep 26, 2003, 10:19 PM
lol, ok I must have a way different playing style than the person who wrote that guide. I never go melee on my fonewm. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Firocket1690
Sep 27, 2003, 03:20 AM
speaking of Giest wep and God/Batt ...

Most FO's online always bring along a Double Saber (yes, the green TP stealing one)

and ...
I thought it was already proven that FO's cast faster without weapons ...

Olga-Rappy
Sep 27, 2003, 06:04 AM
On 2003-09-26 15:36, Sounomi wrote:
Alot of the things in that guide make no sense.

Agreed. If anyone else ever has qualms about that guide, direct them here:

-FOmar-
Soul Banish: The last thing a Force needs is a weapon sucking away their HP, barring one that reduces TP costs in the process. A berserk weapon that drains HP is NOT a good thing to give your FOmar.
C-Sorcerer's Cane: Boosts GI-Techs, has Geist, decreases TP costs with NO HP penalty, and makes a nifty melee weapon... Why isn't this here?
Hitogata: Shouldn't it be Dancing Hitogata? Last time I checked, it sucked w/o upgrades.

-FOmarl-
Soul Banish, Morning Glory, Rainbow Baton: ...No comment.
Caduceus, Marina's Bag, Madam's Umbrella: Should be here.

-FOnewm-
Plantain Huge Fan: This is a joke.
Summit Moon: He's a FOnewm, not newearl. Switch this for a Prophets of Motav
C-Sorceror's Cane: See FOmar.
Smoking Plate: Raise your hand if you don't already know that this sucks. If your hand is raised, equip an Aura Field, and go ask somebody with their hand down why.

-FOnewearl-
Psycho Wand: This was meant for the FOnewm, but it's slightly less useful on her... Who cares, forget I said anything about it.
Magical Piece: This spot would be better served by a Sigh of a God. She doesn't need a Normal Tech bonus, but 30% to Zonde and free Gizonde is ver good for her - especially in Mines.
Hitogata: DO NOT GIVE YOUR FONEWEARL ITEMS DESIGNED FOR MELEE COMBAT, UNLESS THEY CAST AND BOOST TECHS. While this should be obvious, apparently it wasn't, thus I regretfully unleash the Caps.
Hildeblue's Cane: See Magical Piece, only replace the following words; Zonde=Barta, Gizonde=Gibarta, Mines=Seabed.

Also, about the God/Battles - they increase technique casting speed. As for the unarmed vs. armed comment, I've found techs are cast fastest with the following weapons, ordered fastest-slowest.

1. Wand
2. TIED - Unarmed and Rod
3. Cane
4. Sabre
5. Double Sabre
6. Slicer
7. Handgun
8. Mechgun

fireant
Sep 27, 2003, 10:59 AM
I agree some of there guide is kind of strange. My FOmar loves his C-Sorcerer's Cane. It also adds def if I am not mistaken and you cant go wrong with Geist and the free 10%. I thank in till you can find cards with hit there crap. I would use a meck gun or slicer. They should add a Rainbow Baton it actually a good weapon if you make it with a good hit and has a low ATP requirement.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fireant on 2003-09-27 09:00 ]</font>

Stalfos333
Sep 27, 2003, 11:32 AM
The Soul Banish is, I believe, the strongest partisan weapon, or multi attack weapon, a melee FoMar can equip.

God Battles do NOT increase casting rate, and casting animation varies from Fo to Fo. FoNewm casts lightning quick barehanded, FoNewearl casts slower.

The Psycho Wand, or any wand that lowers TP cost, is excellent for every Fo. That it's BEST suited for a newm is beside the point.

The Dancing Hitogata is an unuseable classless weapon, while the unenhanced hitogata is one of the strongest, if not THE strongest, card weapon in the game.

Fo's with Geist weapons can clean up, especially with hit. Each of mine carries a handgun type with 50+ to hit, and it cuts fluid use to a minimum. They do zero damage, but that isn't the point.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stalfos333 on 2003-09-27 09:39 ]</font>

Da_Wrecka
Sep 27, 2003, 01:53 PM
On 2003-09-27 01:20, Firocket1690 wrote:
I thought it was already proven that FO's cast faster without weapons ...

Males, as long as they're not androids (for obvious reasons) cast techs faster if they're unarmed than if they're armed - in fact the difference is blinding. Females are significantly slower unarmed, though, and armed they don't come anywhere near matching an unarmed male in speed.

So you're half-right.

Olga-Rappy
Sep 27, 2003, 07:42 PM
On 2003-09-27 09:32, Stalfos333 wrote:
The Soul Banish is, I believe, the strongest partisan weapon, or multi attack weapon, a melee FoMar can equip.

So? It's like giving him the strongest cane - it still sucks.

God Battles do NOT increase casting rate, and casting animation varies from Fo to Fo. FoNewm casts lightning quick barehanded, FoNewearl casts slower.

First of all it does, check anywhere, or in your own game. As for casting speed, I haven't tested with the FOmarl, but the FOmar, FOnewearl, and FOnewm cast at the same speeds unarmed. WEAPONS affect casting speed, not gender. If you want to get picky though, the FOmar is fastest unarmed, followed by the newearl, marl, and finally newm. But the difference is so minimal, it's barely noticable.

The Psycho Wand, or any wand that lowers TP cost, is excellent for every Fo. That it's BEST suited for a newm is beside the point.

Of course. But the newearl benefits from it almost equally, yet the FOmar is better off with Sabers and the FOmarl with Mechguns and the Inferno Bazooka. Plus, since properly played Newmen don't take as much damage in battlle as the human forces, the Psycho Wand and Dark Bridge's HP eating is negligible.

As for the C-Sorceror's Cane, it's fabulous on any force, but it's arguably the optimal weapon for the FOmar, and the 2nd best for a FOnewm, thanks to the boost to Gi-spells. A friend of mine is a C-Sorc Cane wielding FOmar, and he's deadly in Ruins with his Level 30 Gifoie, Gifoie Merge, and C-Sorc Cane equipped. The only way to kill him in battle mode is to either take the hit and hack him to bits with a HUcast, or catch him by surprise with a ranger/Level 30 megid.

The Dancing Hitogata is an unuseable classless weapon, while the unenhanced hitogata is one of the strongest, if not THE strongest, card weapon in the game.

ATP + 350-354
ATA + 50
Special = Geist
Class = Card
Required MST: 900
Stars: 12

ATP + 150-230
ATA + 50
Special = Soul
Class = Card
Required MST: 495
Stars: 10

Hmmm... +160 avg ATP, 4% extra TP regen... I think the improvement is obvious.

Fo's with Geist weapons can clean up, especially with hit. Each of mine carries a handgun type with 50+ to hit, and it cuts fluid use to a minimum. They do zero damage, but that isn't the point.

I know. Both my characters have Geist Vulcans.

fireant
Sep 27, 2003, 07:48 PM
As for the C-Sorceror's Cane, it's fabulous on any force, but it's arguably the optimal weapon for the FOmar, and the 2nd best for a FOnewm, thanks to the boost to Gi-spells. A friend of mine is a C-Sorc Cane wielding FOmar, and he's deadly in Ruins with his Level 30 Gifoie, Gifoie Merge, and C-Sorc Cane equipped. The only way to kill him in battle mode is to either take the hit and hack him to bits with a HUcast, or catch him by surprise with a ranger/Level 30 megid.
Wow that sweet

I know. Both my characters have Geist Vulcans.

lucky i wish i had one lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fireant on 2003-09-27 17:49 ]</font>

Olga-Rappy
Sep 27, 2003, 07:55 PM
They're pretty easy to find in VHard... got both in Mines.

And you should see him in Ruins... Fighting hand-to-hand with Delsabers and Bringers (Craziest. Force. Ever.) Gifoieing claws and dimenians, and using Grants on Belras and Sorcerors. Heh, none of us really get a chance to hurt anything in Mines or Ruins (I kill everything in mines in one hit except Vol Opt - he takes about 20-40) unless the RAmar brings his shot - in which case our HUcast gets REALLY pissed. </useless anecdote>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Olga-Rappy on 2003-09-27 17:59 ]</font>

fireant
Sep 27, 2003, 08:09 PM
Cool thanks for the advice

Primrose
Sep 28, 2003, 04:33 AM
I thought it was necessary to add my two cents...

I disagree with you, Olga-Rappy.

Males, as long as they're not androids (for obvious reasons) cast techs faster if they're unarmed than if they're armed - in fact the difference is blinding. Females are significantly slower unarmed, though, and armed they don't come anywhere near matching an unarmed male in speed.

So you're half-right.

This statement is true. There were various threads discussing about the casting speed, go read them. But if you have a FOnewearl, try to cast a technique without a weapon, then with, its a big difference, and pretty obvious that its slower without any weapon equipped. The reason why gender affects casting speed is because different genders and classes have different casting animations, and that affects casting speed. And as for armed combat, it also matters which class is using the weapon, like i said, casting animations are different.

Just a side note on Sorcerers Cane. I was just wondering why you didnt mention Magical Piece, it beats Sorcerers Cane in terms of technique damage bonus, but of course, it does not have the other benefits a Sorcerers Cane has...
I just thought it had to be mentioned.

And now, regarding Hitogata/Dancing Hitogata:
I think you have overseen the first part of the sentence

Now to explain that, your argument for ATP advantage and more TP stealing might be true, but it is not a straightforward card class weapon, and thats what he wanted to point out.

Olga-Rappy
Sep 28, 2003, 06:20 AM
Going backwards.

Ah. I see. Thank you for rephrasing it, I thoguht he meant that no class could use it. Still have to wonder what he meant by unuseable.

As for Magical Piece, it's too slow for a combat weapon, has the same percent bonus, has a worse special, has no TP cost reduction, and brings even more doubt to the FOmar's masculinity. But the first, second, and fourth are my opinions.

I personally don't feel like hunting down the threads, but I have decided to do a more in-depth analysis of tech casting speed. In general, FOmar and FOnewearl seem to be very similar in speed, FOmarl is a good bit slower with no weapons, and I have yet to test the FOnewm. I still stand by my opinion that class only affects weapon firing speed.

tragichero242
Sep 28, 2003, 09:02 PM
thanks for the info.

Right now, I'm using a magical piece and hildebear's cane. I really need to upgrade lol.

As far as armor goes, I either want a smoking plate or aura field. I have the moola rock but I'm still trying to the find the other item.

On that same note, I noticed that guide recommends various merges. I never use merges because of the low dfp.

Attribute Wall looked pretty good. Is there any clear cut recommendation on a shield?

Thanks. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tragichero242 on 2003-09-28 19:08 ]</font>

Olga-Rappy
Sep 29, 2003, 05:12 AM
Rafoie/Razonde merge. That's a simple as it gets.

If you're Viridia, Skyly, Redria, or Whitill, go with Rafoie, as you won't need to trade.

If you're Purplenum, Razonde. See above for obvious reasons.

If you're Pinkal, Oran, or Bluefull; pick whichever suits you best - you have equal opportunities at both.

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=786

And that'll help you narrow down your hunting.

Loser
Sep 29, 2003, 08:43 PM
What does 'Giest' exactly do? j/w i've never heard of it for some reason..

fireant
Sep 29, 2003, 09:03 PM
On 2003-09-29 18:43, Loser wrote:

steals tp from your target.
Here is a guide about it
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=326

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fireant on 2003-09-29 19:05 ]</font>

Da_Wrecka
Sep 30, 2003, 01:27 PM
On 2003-09-28 02:33, Primrose wrote:
This statement is true. There were various threads discussing about the casting speed, go read them. But if you have a FOnewearl, try to cast a technique without a weapon, then with, its a big difference, and pretty obvious that its slower without any weapon equipped. The reason why gender affects casting speed is because different genders and classes have different casting animations, and that affects casting speed. And as for armed combat, it also matters which class is using the weapon, like i said, casting animations are different.

Except the way I wrote it strips away all the unnecessary baggage and gets right down to cases. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Males cast quicker unarmed, females cast slower unarmed http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

And for the record, my main character in both v2 and GC Ep1&2 is a FOnewearl, who is at L151 in her v2 incarnation and L152 in her Ep1&2 incarnation.

Loser
Sep 30, 2003, 02:21 PM
On 2003-09-29 19:03, fireant wrote:

On 2003-09-29 18:43, Loser wrote:

steals tp from your target.
Here is a guide about it
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=326

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fireant on 2003-09-29 19:05 ]</font>

Ok , thx.

Olga-Rappy
Sep 30, 2003, 06:45 PM
Ok, in case anyone hasn't noticed, I haven't been here in a day. Why? I was organizing a study online to determine tech-casting speed. 5 FOmars, 4 FOnewearls, 2 FOnewms, and 1 FOmarl participated, myself included under FOnewm.

IN GENERAL:

Each character's overall tech-casting speed is congruent with their unarmed speed.

10/12 people found the FOnewearl casts fastest unarmed. (Other two said FOmar)

12/12 found the FOmar 2nd fastest unarmed

9/12 found the FOnewm 3rd fastest unarmed (1 said FOnewearl, 2 said FOmarl)

12/12 found the FOmarl slowest unarmed

Armed, with the following weapons, it was either 11/12 or 12/12 people saying that it matched order with unarmed results:

Sabre
Twin Sabre (Double Sabre specifically)
Handgun
Mechgun
Cane
Rod
Wand
Card (Mahu specifically)

Nai_Calus
Sep 30, 2003, 07:22 PM
On 2003-09-30 16:45, Olga-Rappy wrote:
Ok, in case anyone hasn't noticed, I haven't been here in a day. Why? I was organizing a study online to determine tech-casting speed. 5 FOmars, 4 FOnewearls, 2 FOnewms, and 1 FOmarl participated, myself included under FOnewm.

IN GENERAL:

Each character's overall tech-casting speed is congruent with their unarmed speed.

10/12 people found the FOnewearl casts fastest unarmed. (Other two said FOmar)

12/12 found the FOmar 2nd fastest unarmed

9/12 found the FOnewm 3rd fastest unarmed (1 said FOnewearl, 2 said FOmarl)

12/12 found the FOmarl slowest unarmed

Armed, with the following weapons, it was either 11/12 or 12/12 people saying that it matched order with unarmed results:

Sabre
Twin Sabre (Double Sabre specifically)
Handgun
Mechgun
Cane
Rod
Wand
Card (Mahu specifically)

Some of this I find quite hard to believe, unless -character- level is a determining factor in tech speed... I've got a glitched-out FOmar with maxed stats and L30 techs, and a glitched-out FOnewearl with maxed MST and L30 of the techs she has. The FOmar casts faster unarmed that she does armed. Unarmed she's even slower than with a Cane. The only difference is that she's L7 and he's L68. If level matters, there's a possibility that the FOnewearl could be faster, but it doesn't seem likely. If level doesn't matter, then the FOmar is hands down faster.

Also, Canes and Sabers have the exact same animations. Saying one is faster than the other is ridiculous. If I for some reason give my FOmar a cane-type, he doesn't cast any slower with it than he would with his Red Saber. O_o; FOnewms don't really seem to cast that much slower than FOmars unarmed. For that matter, neither do HUmars or RAmars.

Olga-Rappy
Sep 30, 2003, 07:56 PM
Canes and Sabres: Yeah, but there's always the nut who doesn't believe you if you haven't tried EVERYTHING.

I'm going to try your situation offline, to see if lag was a factor. *turns on TV and GC*

No, I have my usual FOnewearl, and a level 1 each of the FOnewearl and FOmar. Same speed, both FOnewearls are slightly faster.