PDA

View Full Version : Bored of PSO? Not another poll...

BlazingTiger
Sep 26, 2003, 08:43 PM
This is not another stupid question. I really need to know how we all feel about PSO.

I have been playing PSO since it's original release, hec I was one of the first to actualy buy the original Phantasy Star ($80 bucks) back when the sega master system first came out.

I am still finding myself leveling up on PSO. This disturbs me just a little bit. I have purchased games upon games for GC, X-Box and PC and after maybe a week or a month or two of not playing PSO, I make a new character at most and start the madness all over. Do we all generaly feel this way about PSO? I believe that it must be one of the best games ever made, simply because it has stolen over 5,000 hours of my life.

Are there subliminal messages that keep me going to the same levels, picking up the same items, over, and over again (even offline)? What makes the game that addicting, that I feel like at times when I have spare time, I must level up. I have a life. I really do. I have a wife that loves PSO more than I. She never liked video games. This has brought peace and happiness to my home. We do challenge together and level up. How touching...

I have never in my experience seen so many women, (not just girls), women, play this game. My older sister who just passed her bar exam got hooked on PSO and called it the devil. She felt it would get in the way of her studies.

My question is for those who had the patience to read through this drawn out post, are you bored of PSO... after all of this time?

Reece
Sep 26, 2003, 08:44 PM
I love PSO

HighElf9310
Sep 26, 2003, 09:12 PM
I am kind of bored with it. All I am doing now is looking for that elusive Psycho Wand. I could tell that I don't even pay attention to when I play because I accidently sold my armor when I was at the shop.. Luckly nothing too hard to replace. But yeah, I get bored with it....Then I play some more, and it doesn't seem so boring. So the endless cycle of madness continues.

Nai_Calus
Sep 26, 2003, 09:19 PM
Women love PSO because FOmars done right are sexy bitches.

Plus, PSO is digital crack. I wanted to hate this goddamned game. Instead it's sucked a good 1000 hours of my life so far, and will only continue to suck more.

Damn game. *goes back to molesting FOmars and Rati. X_X

Soukosa
Sep 26, 2003, 09:27 PM
On 2003-09-26 19:19, Ian-KunX wrote:
Women love PSO because FOmars done right are sexy bitches.

Yep, so sexy that I don't play one because of it.[/sarcasm]

PABLOparavida
Sep 26, 2003, 09:44 PM
WOW Rati fomars and ratis are that good looking. PSO is awesome. My friends at school tell me that I'm oppessed because I've played maybe 500+hrs. But after i read about over 5000hrs I feel better. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

CGoodness
Sep 26, 2003, 10:07 PM
It all started with my friends trying to convince me to get it in the December of 2002. I kept refusing... finally, two of my friends bought it. The same day one of my friends bought it, he was sleeping over at my house. So we started both playiing at the same time... multimode. We absolutely hated the game... We figured it out and 3 weeks later, we loved it.. I borrowed it for a month in which time i got to level 80 then i bought PSO for myself.

And i had promised my parents i wouldnt do drugs!

StrongBad
Sep 26, 2003, 10:17 PM
I got this game last Christmas and I still play it... a lot. I play on average about 3 hours a day and my brother plays like 2 hours a day. If he wouldn't want to play I would play even more.

Rain_1
Sep 26, 2003, 10:35 PM
that, my friend, is the question behind it all...

i didn't play all versions of pso.. i never even touched the gamecube version, but the pso virus has gotten into me as well..

i surely imported pso ver1 for dc first when it came out... and i played the hell out of it till level 80... if you remember correctly, pso ver1 dc is the WORST pso, in terms of item finding and rare moonsters and etc..
and then my vmu got corrupted... oh well might as well scrap the whole deal.... but no.. i went out, bought another vmu, and started it all over...
till i finally reached level 100...

ok, that was fun... let's just skip ver2, since that's pay2play and pay2play is gay...

then it came for pc... and through not so "correct" means, here i am, playing the same goddamn game again, pretty much every day...

and, the best part of it, i got a gamecube, and i'm trying my best NOT to buy pso gamecube.. (because you know.. once you have pso for gamecube, you'll want a broadband adaptor and a keyboard.... and those are insanely expensive down here)...

so, to answer your question, no, i'm not bored at pso, and i don't think i'll ever be (at least not at original pso... dunno about that damn card game.. but then again, i never played that.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

now where are those damn FO special weapons - i can't use the same BROOM all the time...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rain_1 on 2003-09-26 20:37 ]</font>

joluh
Sep 26, 2003, 11:50 PM
Yeah, almost same case here, i always get bored and throw a game away after 2-3 weeks, every damn game, zelda, matrix, metroid, etc... but PSO man almost 3 months and can't get enough!?!? WTF!!! this game has something weird on it... i've been playing for like 250hrs, and i thought it was too much, now for 5000 hrs, hehehe i feel a lot better =D, hehehe, and i think i understand 100% ^_^

EDIT: btw i didn't knew that PSO existed until a friend told me about it like 2 months before vacations and i bought it just at 1/2 of vacations and i don't know why this game isn't as popular as other games

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: joluh on 2003-09-26 21:54 ]</font>

ginko990
Sep 27, 2003, 12:00 AM
Im done with PSO for now.

BlazingTiger
Sep 27, 2003, 01:08 AM
On 2003-09-26 21:50, joluh wrote:
Yeah, almost same case here, i always get bored and throw a game away after 2-3 weeks, every damn game, zelda, matrix, metroid, etc... but PSO man almost 3 months and can't get enough!?!? WTF!!! this game has something weird on it... i've been playing for like 250hrs, and i thought it was too much, now for 5000 hrs, hehehe i feel a lot better =D, hehehe, and i think i understand 100% ^_^

EDIT: btw i didn't knew that PSO existed until a friend told me about it like 2 months before vacations and i bought it just at 1/2 of vacations and i don't know why this game isn't as popular as other games

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: joluh on 2003-09-26 21:54 ]</font>

It was lack of proper marketing is why PSO is not yet a household name. Do a commercial for "Q-Bert goes postal", make it funny enough and play it often for a targeted market and people who never heard of Q-Bert would go picking that game up. Sonic Team never focused on mass marketing. If they did, this nation would be playing nothing other than PSO. I BELIEVE THAT.

So much potential, not enough drive. I am surprised george lucas (lucas arts) hasn't swiped the idea. Sonic Team did take a lot of star wars concepts though (sabers, force techniches, episode 1&2) lol.

Back on subject.

Night_Star
Sep 27, 2003, 02:36 AM
wow, i cant believe it either!
i saw this game on an episode of extended play on tech tv. i thought that it looked like a pretty cool game. next month i got it for DC. i was hooked immediately!
i got at least 7 different characters to lvl 100 on ver1!
i didnt play ver2 as long, but i did get to about 120
(offline only) but not long after i got ver2, my DC died http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif the motor burned out, and i wasnt ever able to replace it... so i waited for at least 6 months till i could get the gamecube version.
(you wouldnt believe the withdrawls i went through)

since i got it for gamecube, i would be off and on with it, but i always know that i will be able to come back and play it some more.
i mean, ive gotten several other games. zelda, metroid, starfox. i even got a few PS2 games, that after i beat, i always went back to pso.

there has to be some sort of subliminal message to keep you playing this game!
i just wont give it up!

joluh
Sep 27, 2003, 04:05 AM
On 2003-09-27 00:36, Night_Star wrote:
there has to be some sort of subliminal message to keep you playing this game!
i just wont give it up!

Yeah, i believe so, maybe dark falz really exist but he's trapped on the disc and the only way that he can still alive is in our minds so he control us to play just to get that one last rare, go gain that one last level, that one last... just for today, tomorrow i'll get another one...

Berzerker
Sep 27, 2003, 04:29 AM
Oh, I'm hooked, I cant stop now, I stopped to play Zelda and Metriod for a while, but PSO dragged me back. I also got a friend of mine hooked http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif might not have been such a good idea, cos he getting all the cool rares while i get nothing! But me still hooked alright http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Spider
Sep 27, 2003, 04:44 AM
I got the shit, I traded PSO to a mate for Zelda for a bit, and I'm up to the "FIND THE SHARDS" part and I kinda miss my good ol PSO, withdrawels all round.

Berzerker
Sep 27, 2003, 05:21 AM
ah, unlucky, Zelda good, but it'll only last you so long http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif It was great, but I played it a lot less than I've played PSO

fenixthahunter
Sep 27, 2003, 06:33 AM
yea i have played more then 1000 hours.
i don't have much games as a 14 old guy.
so i stil play pso.
but i got a bit borred when i got online and got a lot of HU weaps and get back ofline.

so i made a FOmar and play him legit http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Berzerker
Sep 27, 2003, 06:38 AM
Whoa, 1000 hours, me only played for over 200 and something...makes me feel better http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

BlazingTiger
Sep 27, 2003, 05:05 PM
With the dc version characters combined, I have about 12 characters in all, 7 are above level 120.

My highest character was 153. I always seem to create another character after level 130.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlazingTiger on 2003-09-27 15:06 ]</font>

Reaper_090
Sep 27, 2003, 05:14 PM
haven't any of you noticed that the people at ST put olga flow DNA on the PSO cd. Its infecting us... so addicting..... must.......... play.... P...S...oooo------------

But seriously, it is mysteriously addicting. I think its the fact that there are so many rare weapons to find... There is always some sort of rare weapon you want... a "goal" that we must achieve. Usually, games have a single "goal" - that is to complete the game. BUT , what we are all blissfully unaware of, is that PSO has no end... There is always leveling to be done, rare weapons to find, interesting new characters to create. It goes on and on... And YOU'LL FLOAT TOO!! *ahem* yes well...

My 2 cents.......

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reaper_090 on 2003-09-27 15:15 ]</font>

Berzerker
Sep 27, 2003, 05:31 PM
You completely right! It pulls you back....like it calling to you...your right though, it has many goals to complete, many! Once you've done DF on Ult, ya think...maybe it the end but it not...you gotta try and be perfect, better than the rest.

BlazingTiger
Sep 27, 2003, 06:23 PM
Maybe it is because it is endless. Even after beating it on Ultimate Episode 2, I'm thinking, "well I haven't tryed out my humar." I play this endless game in hopes to pick up a red box worth something good.

Sonic Team are master minds.

klepto
Sep 27, 2003, 09:35 PM
I found out about this game through a magazine. I took one look at the picture of a Humar with a saber, and I was hooked. At that time I really liked everything about Japan, and hearing that it was like a Japanese futuristic sorta thing, I bought it. Very first day I got it, I was hooked. To date, I've invested over 350 hours, 200 dollars (2 mem cards, the game, BBA, hunters liscense, turbo controller(hehe) and an ASCII keyboard). My friends got the game, and after about 50 hours, stopped playing it. I cant get enough. I think the reason why is that A. Im online and B. I can only get on once a week, so throughout the whole week i think about Saturday, when I can play PSO. I firmly believe it take a special person to spend 100s of hours killing boomas, but thats just me.

BIZKIT
Sep 27, 2003, 09:43 PM
And i had promised my parents i wouldnt do drugs!

Don't do drugs! play PSO!

vegeta000110
Sep 27, 2003, 09:58 PM
I basically only play PSO lately. Although I've been back and forth with playing.

BTW: The Triforce shards in Zelda: Wind Waker are a pain in the a** to find and collect. If any of you need help with that, PM me.

Berzerker
Sep 28, 2003, 03:22 AM
Which ones do you need to find? well first of all, you HAVE to go get the maps, I mean, you can try and fluke your way through, but that would take years oif searching every spot on the Ocean, find the maps, get tingle to sort them out, then go find the shard. I found all the maps before going for the shards. PSO is now all I play for the moment

joluh
Sep 28, 2003, 03:40 AM
well the reason i pick this game was because you could use between 12 characters!!! that's why, but now there are a lot of reasons i keep playing =)

since that red box you really want, making my characters stronger, doing stories for my characters, and a whole bunch, this game beats zelda, smash bros, mario, and any other like that, and trust me, someone like me saying that it's WOOOOOW!!! ^_~

Berzerker
Sep 28, 2003, 04:03 AM
oh, just knowing that another reb box item is out there somewhere pulls you back. You think "hmm, maybe if I run through forest again, I'll find another one!" or "I just need a few more levels then I can go onto the next level and find more items!!!" or something else!!

Olga-Rappy
Sep 28, 2003, 05:46 AM
Lol.. Playing that cappy Wind Wanker simply made me want to play PSO more...

It's scary. I really hate to think what will happen once I reach level 100. I have all the items I want, all of the materials I want, the mag I want... All that's left is the fateful 3 numbers beginning with a 2, and reaching them legitly...

I'll probably snap, and go insane, then run around hitting ugly people with a Psycho Wand... er... Rake, while trying to Megid them. In which case I hope I get my Doctorate by then. (Nuclear Physics or Video Game Design, can't decide yet)

Maybe we should get therapy?

Balbarei
Sep 28, 2003, 06:22 AM
Im hooked, i havent bought any new games since PSO, on DC version i was up to like 4500hours, PC version up to 400hours, and now GC im almost up to 1000hours ^_^

fenixthahunter
Sep 28, 2003, 07:21 AM
i think you get borred at this game when your got al chars at level 200 and find al items, LEGIT.
you can also say : never http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Jason
Sep 28, 2003, 09:28 AM
As long as there's the Online Mode, there are always real players you can play with. This keeps the game going.

BlazingTiger
Sep 28, 2003, 12:42 PM
Hackers ruined online play for me. Like was stated before, there are still legit players online though. I believe if sonic team made weapons easier to find and to earn, hackers would lose interest in hacking.

When I heard PSO III was on the way, I sighed. I didn't pay it much mind, until I saw some pics of it. Also reading about the new features stirred up my interest again. PSO is a game I would love to hate. I JUST CAN'T! Hating PSO is like, bad karma...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlazingTiger on 2003-09-28 10:43 ]</font>

Berzerker
Sep 28, 2003, 02:33 PM
Exactly about the online thing. You go offline, train, then go online, even if you lv 200 just to play with other ppl and help them maybe, online just makes it even more addictive!

BlazingTiger
Sep 28, 2003, 08:27 PM
On 2003-09-28 12:33, Berzerker wrote:
Exactly about the online thing. You go offline, train, then go online, even if you lv 200 just to play with other ppl and help them maybe, online just makes it even more addictive!

You are right. I remember when I first got online, I felt like a kid in a candy store. Inspite of the hacking, I had my guild cards full for each character (DC) version. To tell you the truth, I had more fun with the DC version than the GC. Level 200 characters though usually got ignored or teased, even if they were legit. Once a level 200 character used to come into an open game, everybody used to split.

Sashi
Sep 28, 2003, 08:51 PM
To answer the original question, I am burnt out of PSO at the moment. I haven;t played in at least a month now.

I have 1050 hours logged, just on GC, over a handful of characters. If you happen to do the math, that is about 43 days of straight play. And that doesn't have the DC hours, either.

I still like the game, it's just I need a break. But I will be getting Ep 3, for a change of pace. I already have character names picked out XD

BlazingTiger
Sep 29, 2003, 02:39 PM
On 2003-09-28 18:51, Sashi wrote:
To answer the original question, I am burnt out of PSO at the moment. I haven;t played in at least a month now.

I have 1050 hours logged, just on GC, over a handful of characters. If you happen to do the math, that is about 43 days of straight play. And that doesn't have the DC hours, either.

I still like the game, it's just I need a break. But I will be getting Ep 3, for a change of pace. I already have character names picked out XD

I don't blame you. I'm looking forward to episode iii myself. I will start playing pso again probably in a week or two. Fan sites like psow helps buy time...

PSO is the game I would love to hate. I just can't.

Auracom
Sep 29, 2003, 03:04 PM
*grabs head in pain*

I play but sometimes I wonder how much time I've wasted... then I see a friend come online. If it wasn't for my friends on PSO I probably would have quit long ago.

Arinoma
Sep 29, 2003, 03:55 PM
On 2003-09-29 13:04, Auracom wrote:
*grabs head in pain*

I play but sometimes I wonder how much time I've wasted... then I see a friend come online. If it wasn't for my friends on PSO I probably would have quit long ago.

Yeah, i would have to agree with this statement. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif