PDA

View Full Version : well thats hard to pronounce....

Reaper_090
Sep 27, 2003, 05:28 PM
This game is so damn filled with words that could be pronounced in a number of ways. Just out of curiosity, how do you pronounce the following words?

Flowen - Is it "flow" as in water flowing, or "flow" as in flower? If so, does this apply for olga flow?

Syncesta - Sometimes in words like this , c's are pronounced as "ch" or "s" or "k". What is it?

Muut Ditts Poumn - HA! take that!

Lab - lol j/k

I'll post more when i think of 'em

Berzerker
Sep 27, 2003, 05:33 PM
erm, well generally it dont matter, cos online they cant hear you and if everyone else round you says it the same way, then your ok

Reaper_090
Sep 27, 2003, 05:40 PM
yea but its interestin to know.....

and also, my friends keep having arguements about how stuff is pronounced. lol i have this one friend that pronounces stuff 80% wrong. He even see's letters that arent really there. e.g asparasus !

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reaper_090 on 2003-09-27 15:42 ]</font>

Ketchup345
Sep 27, 2003, 05:41 PM
On 2003-09-27 15:28, Reaper_090 wrote:
Flowen - Is it "flow" as in water flowing, or "flow" as in flower? If so, does this apply for olga flow?

Syncesta - Sometimes in words like this , c's are pronounced as "ch" or "s" or "k". What is it?

I underlined how I pronounce them. I would say pronounce Muut Ditts Poumn as Moot Dits Poum.

Reaper_090
Sep 27, 2003, 05:45 PM
thx, that sorta makes sense. I have a feeling its flow (water) coz olga flow (flower) don't sound right.

StrongBad
Sep 27, 2003, 05:47 PM
And the TJ-Sword.
My friend thinks its pronounced like Tsukimiri
I think its Sumikri
And my brother thinks its Tusumuriki.
Theres a lot of stuff that have weird pronounciations. Orotiagito, Gungnir, Berdysh...

Nai_Calus
Sep 27, 2003, 07:35 PM
I am a nerd and I switch the language settings to Japanese and look at how it's written in katakana(Unless it's written in Kanji, in which case I have problems, but katakana/hirigana I read just fine) if I'm worried about how to pronounce something. ^^;

Math
Sep 27, 2003, 07:58 PM
Flowen - Im pretty sure its "Flow-in" like the water flows inside..

Syncesta - I think this one is "Sin-ess(like the letter S)-Ta

Muut Ditts Poumn - an is this even a weapon?

Kadou
Sep 27, 2003, 08:14 PM
No, it's a few words in one of the messages left by Rico. Though niether she nor most anyone who hasn't played the previous Phantasy Star games doesn't know it, they are primitive names for three planets in the Algo star system: Motavia, Dezolis/Dezoris, and Palma.
As for pronounciation, I think it's 'moot', 'dhits' ( like the word 'it's', but with a D in front), and 'poom.'

Berzerker
Sep 28, 2003, 03:33 AM
meh, everyone says stuff the way I say it beacuse I was the first to get it outa my mates, they just took on how I said the words....I am interested in how you pronounce Meseta though....cos at first I said it like mess-ta, but one mate said it looks more like mess-e-ta, e being e that sorta sounds like ea

Kadou
Sep 28, 2003, 09:28 AM
I don't know why, but I pronounce it 'may-say-tuh.'

Kent
Sep 28, 2003, 09:31 AM

Flow-en

Like somebody badly slurring "flowing," except a soft E sound instead of I.

Synch-es-tah

As in synchronized.

Moot Ditz Powm

...That's pretty much spelled how it's pronounced.

On 2003-09-27 15:47, StrongBad wrote:
And the TJ-Sword.
I think its Sumikri

Tsu-mee-kee-ree

Not drawn out on the syllables, of course.

Theres a lot of stuff that have weird pronounciations. Orotiagito, Gungnir, Berdysh...

O-roh-tee-ah-ghee-toh (hard G sound, not j)

Gung-near

Berr-deesh

PlatypusMaximus
Sep 28, 2003, 10:53 AM
I agree with Kent with the exception of Orotiagio. I say Oro-shee-agito

Jack
Sep 28, 2003, 11:04 AM
I say meseta as with Spain's old currency, peseta.

TheAlmightyNewbie
Sep 28, 2003, 11:52 AM
On 2003-09-28 07:31, Kent wrote:

Flow-en

Like somebody badly slurring "flowing," except a soft E sound instead of I.

Synch-es-tah

As in synchronized.

Moot Ditz Powm

...That's pretty much spelled how it's pronounced.

And the TJ-Sword.
I think its Sumikri

Tsu-mee-kee-ree

Not drawn out on the syllables, of course.

O-roh-tee-ah-ghee-toh (hard G sound, not j)

Gung-near

Berr-deesh

I agree with all of those except syncesta (sin SESS ta) and Berdysh (BUR dish). well, there's my two cents. o.o

SpyroDi
Sep 28, 2003, 02:29 PM

Flow-in

Sin-sess-tah

Moot Ditz Poom

And the TJ-Sword.
I think its Sumikri

Su-mee-kee-ree

Or-o-tee-ah-gi-to

The I in Gi,as in 'If',and the O in To pronounced like O.

Gung-neer

I believe there was a holy weapon named Spear of the Earth: Gungnir in Fire Emblem 4. o_O

Bur-dish

What a cool weapon. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Berzerker
Sep 28, 2003, 02:38 PM
wow, that a lot of quoteing O_o yeah, most of those I agree on

Monomate
Sep 28, 2003, 03:45 PM
Caduceus-??? i pronounce it 'Cad-oo-kay-us' but...i really have nofuckingclue...

muut ditts poumn- mutt ditts poun...that's what i say...(although know that i think abouts it...it could be myoot/myut ditts poun)

flowen-water type...(Dark Flow (flower type) would sound retarded...)

Lab-i really have no idea how to pronounce that...

Syncesta- Sinsessta...(kinda sounds like Sin Sista! or something...?)

Alive Aqhu-?!?!?!?!?!?! Alive Akhoo? Alive Akyu? i'm clueless

ah...running out of weird words...

Gilchich/Dubchich-is the 'ch' a hard 'c' or is it a typical 'ch' sound (like cheese...)

Sinows- is it Sin-now or Sin-oe i say sinow...but that's me

ya...i've exhausted my supply of weird crap...

edit:
meseta- mess-eh-tah? or meh-say-tah? i usually say both...alternately...

berdysh-berdish...(wow...so hard...ever heard of the 'Bardiche'? or even the 'Berdish'?)

Gungnir-wow...Gung-neer

Orotiagito-or ah tee a jee toe? or ah tee a ghee toe?

Agito-A jee to or A ghee to?

Bravace-Brah-vase? or Brave-iss? or Brave-ace?

Gae Bolg-Guy Bolg? Gay Bolg? Gee Bolg? (i say Guy Bolg)

Sange- Saynj? San-jee?

and the parasite wears bug the hell outta me...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Monomate on 2003-09-28 13:59 ]</font>

ex
Sep 28, 2003, 03:55 PM
The way i say most of the stuff agrees with most of what you have all posted, but the way i say orotiagito is oro-chi-agito.

Benzine
Sep 28, 2003, 03:56 PM
A caduceus is pronounced cad oosh E us, it's the name of the symbol for healers that has the 2 serpents intertwining around a pole with an eagle perched on top.
Here's an image, you've probably seen it on the signs of doctors or vetrinarians.

http://www.medword.com/pics/mini_cad.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Benzine on 2003-09-28 13:58 ]</font>

CGoodness
Sep 28, 2003, 04:01 PM
my friend and I always argue over how to pronouce zonde

i accent the e like "zon-day"

and he doesnt like "zond"

Nai_Calus
Sep 28, 2003, 05:06 PM
Orotiagito: oh-roh-chee ah-GEE-TOH (Ohs as in 'hairbow', ah as in 'father', hard g)
Sange: sahn-GEH
Yasha: yah-SYAH
Kamui: Kah-MOO-EE
Meseta: meh-SEH-TAH

Appleicious
Sep 28, 2003, 07:55 PM
On 2003-09-28 13:45, Monomate wrote:

Me and some friends pronounce it "Gay Bulge" just for fun. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Monomate
Sep 28, 2003, 09:05 PM
On 2003-09-28 17:55, Appleicious wrote:

Me and some friends pronounce it "Gay Bulge" just for fun. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

lol...i thought of that, but i don't because i think it's an awesome weapon...oh well...still funny...

Nai_Calus
Sep 29, 2003, 02:31 AM

Bravace-Brah-vase? or Brave-iss? or Brave-ace?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Monomate on 2003-09-28 13:59 ]</font>

I'm strange, perhaps, and I'd have to see if it's written in kana(most likely it is) and transliterate it to approximate the correct pronunciation, but I pronounce it 'Brah-VAH-chay' ...Too many Italian arias. *hums Se'i Miei Sospiri, which he's probably mispelled horribly because he hasn't seen the score in ages, and wanders off*

Hrith
Sep 29, 2003, 09:35 AM
Sange : SAN-GE, no long vowels

Yasha : YA-SHA, no long vowels

Kamui : KA-MOO-I, no long vowels

Caduceus : CAD-YOO-SEE-US, already heard CAD-YOO-KEE-US, well somebody already mentionned what that was.

Muut Ditts Poumn : MOOTS-DITS-POON (Latin structure, "m" is mute)

Flowen : I'd say like water flows

Syncesta : SIN-SESS-TA, easy.

Alive Aqhu : A-KU (French/Japanese "u" sound)

Gillchich / Dubchich : "ch" sound twice, to make a difference with the Normal to Very Hard ones.

Sinow : like "know", NOT "now"

Meseta : Like "Peseta", already mentionned

Berdysh : c'mon, the weapon exists !! It is pronounced BAR-DISH, from the French halberd-like weapon "bardiche". I do not know if the mispelling from the translators is intentional.

Gungnir : GOON-NIR, no actual "g" like in "sing" for instance.

Orotiagito : Japanese reads O-RO-CHI-A-GHI-TO, but japanese language makes no difference between CHI and TI (or TSU and TU, and so on) so it's up to you.

Bravace : I read it BRAVE-ACE, but Japanese reads BRAVE-ASS

Gae Bolg : Latin letter, in Latin "a" and "e" are one into the other and are pronounced "e" like in "bed"

Nelgal : NEL-GOAL, no diphtong

Vajulla : VA-DJOO-LA

Lafuteria : LA-FOO-TI-RIA

I've actually done some research, lmao
I'm studying linguistics, 5th year.

Most come from French, Latin or Japanese readings along with English speaking requirements.

Nelgal & Vajulla definitely sound Elven, but are not.

I'm actually having problems with the stress, since some words do not exist.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kefka on 2003-09-29 07:40 ]</font>

HUShadow
Sep 29, 2003, 08:59 PM
Hmm...

Flow- Water flowing...

Meseta- MUH-SEH-TUH

Uh...what were some others?

I know I pronounce it wrong, but I say it, OR-EE-AH-GEE-TOH (GEE, as in geez)it's just a short way for me to say it.

TJ Sword- Don't even get me started. I say it different every time.

Gae Bolg- I say it like, GAY-BAULG, just for fun ^_^

Does anyone pronounce 'Rico' as RICK-OH? I pronounce it, REE-KOH.

Oh, oh! And, ZON-DAY, and I say Foie like, FOH-EE

How do you pronounce Megid? I do it, MEH-GID.

And...uh...

That's all the stuff I can think of right now...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUShadow on 2003-09-29 19:03 ]</font>

ilr2000
Sep 30, 2003, 11:15 AM
I swear to god for all of my time playing v1 I thought Varista was Varsita. Nobody ever informed me cause I never spoke it out loud. It wasn't until a friend (who doesnt play PSO at all) pointed it out. -____- dislexia is me.

starhealer
Sep 30, 2003, 02:13 PM
I like to argue over how to pronounce Vjaya. I say Va-ya, my friend says V-jya-a, it's all crazy like.

Ian, that's a good idea. I never thought to check the kana pronounciations...the stupid is me.

As for some others...well...

Meseta--Meh-say-tah

Syncesta--Sin-sess-tah

Orotiagito/Agito--O-roh(loh, depending...)-ah-gi-toh/A-gi-toh

Zonde--Zond

Foie--Foi (kinda like foil, only...no l)

Tsumikiri--Tsu-mee-kee-ree (lee, depending)

And I've always pronounced Caduceus Cad-uh-cuss. Nice to know it has an actual pronounciation...whether or not I use it. ^-^x

Auracom
Sep 30, 2003, 02:23 PM
I always thought megid was a pretty weird word.

DarkShinjaru
Sep 30, 2003, 07:00 PM
Zumiuran= Zoom-Urine?
Crozier= Crow-zair

Hrith
Oct 1, 2003, 12:28 PM
VJAYA is obvious : VIA-IA

ZUMIURAN : ZOO-MIOO-RAN

CROZIER : CRO-DJER ("o" is diphtonged)

^_____^ so fascinating !! I love linguistics !

A2K
Dec 15, 2003, 08:20 AM
"Megid" (meh-gid) actually comes from the same root word that "armageddon" is derived from.

Blitzkommando
Dec 15, 2003, 04:53 PM
For those of you questioning the pronounciation of 'foie' is that not a French word? If I recall correctly a special meal in France is Foie gras, or roast goose. And if it is French then it would be pronounced foy-e but very quick. My French is a little rusty but that is what I recall. *shrugs*

kevlar_pso
Dec 15, 2003, 05:38 PM
$$$

Monetarily, I had always pronounced Meseta : Meece-ta. Like the incorrect plural from of Mouse. My friend from work, who comes over a plays a lot, pronounces it Me-set-ah. Like it is writen. We could argue all we want aout the "proper pronunciation" but unless we get the ppl who did the research for PSO and the PS', we're just blowin hot air. It's fun, just don't take it too seriously, i.e. be psycho-nerdy about it.

kevlar_pso
Dec 15, 2003, 05:39 PM
Or anal for that matter. I hate that.

Monomate
Dec 15, 2003, 06:45 PM
another reason why GCN is better than XBrick...you don't have to worry about pronouncing stuff...(XBox Live has headsets for those of you who don't know...)

ladyjaderiver
Dec 15, 2003, 09:39 PM
Just curious, but am I the only person who pronounces "Bravace" like it's italian? (Brah-vah-chay... I sing too much opera *bangs head on wall*) It seriously annoys my sister that I do that, but it looks Italian to me!

kevlar_pso
Dec 15, 2003, 09:48 PM
Bravace sounds like a piece of good ole American hardware. I pronounce it Brah-vuhse. That may not make much sense since I'm tired.

Xbrick may not have many "good games" but multi is better than the Crapstation. I'd rather lug my GC to work but we're caught up in Halo. Mario Kart is an awesome Multi. I'm not the one who started the console bashing. I'm just a follower on this one! lol

ShadowLord
Dec 16, 2003, 12:26 AM
On 2003-12-15 15:45, Monomate wrote:
another reason why GCN is better than XBrick...you don't have to worry about pronouncing stuff...(XBox Live has headsets for those of you who don't know...)

Who said anyone on Xbox Live gives a shit about pronunciation? We standardized this stuff a long time ago. It's a natural process that happens when actually speaking to people. o_o *shrug* There's a few minor variations on some words (caduceus is still really unknown), but most people say things the same way these days.

I find it sad that you have to go to a forum and take the time to discuss how to say a word...but maybe that's just me. =/ Can we stop with the lame jabs at the Xbox now please?

Nai_Calus
Dec 16, 2003, 11:24 PM
On 2003-12-15 18:39, ladyjaderiver wrote:
Just curious, but am I the only person who pronounces "Bravace" like it's italian? (Brah-vah-chay... I sing too much opera *bangs head on wall*) It seriously annoys my sister that I do that, but it looks Italian to me!

Nope! I say it the same exact way, for the same reason.

I'm reasonably sure I'm the only one who pronounces 'Calus' the way I do, though. I alternate between pronouncing the 'cal' as in 'California' and something more like 'call', with the 'a' as in 'father', and I prounce the 'us' like 'loose' without the l. Too much Japanese/Latin.

Zorafin
Dec 18, 2003, 02:19 AM
One thing that I would like to know is, how do pronounce Falz? My spell check tries to turn it into false, and I always pronounce it with a short A, but the Z doesn't sound right. Does anyone know?

-Luke-
Dec 18, 2003, 05:55 AM
On 2003-09-30 17:00, DarkShinjaru wrote:
Zumiuran= Zoom-Urine?
Crozier= Crow-zair

Crozier is a word, crow zeer, I say Zumiuran like Zoo-mi-rahn, rahn not like 'i ran', like ah
Luke

Dhylec
Dec 18, 2003, 11:31 AM
ok that's nice, but let the topic rest.. it's old & tired