PDA

View Full Version : How do you people pronounce RA, HU and FO?

Reece
Sep 27, 2003, 05:49 PM
I say Hew
Raw and
Fho
I guess other people say it diffrently lol

Soukosa
Sep 27, 2003, 05:56 PM
Rah, Huh, and Foe.

Reece
Sep 27, 2003, 05:57 PM
hmm same way I do just spelled diffrently lol

Cab
Sep 27, 2003, 06:17 PM
Ruh, hew, and foe

hostage
Sep 27, 2003, 06:49 PM
hm, I pronounce then Hue Ray and Foe

Cerris
Sep 27, 2003, 07:11 PM
Hoo or Hyu
Raa
Foe

does Hoomar or Hyumar sound better?

Nai_Calus
Sep 27, 2003, 07:20 PM
Let's get even further and get into how I pronounce individual classes.

HUmar: HUE-mahr
HUnewearl: Hah-nihwhirl
HUcast: Hoo-cast(Same as the word cast)
HUcaseal: HUE-kahseal

RAmar: RAH-mahr
RAmarl: RAH-mahrl
RAcast: RA(a as in apple)-cast
RAcaseal: RA(See RAcast)-kahseal

FOmar: FOE-mahr
FOmarl: FOE-mahrl
FOnewm: FOE-noom
FOnewearl: FOE-noowhirl

...I don't know why it varies so much. ^^;;;

ginko990
Sep 27, 2003, 07:23 PM
Rah
Hyou
Foh

LINX
Sep 27, 2003, 07:39 PM
FÖ, RÅ and HÄ

Olga-Rappy
Sep 27, 2003, 07:53 PM
HUmar: HUE-mahr
HUnewearl: Hue-NEWearl
HUcast: HUE-cast(Same as the word cast)
HUcaseal: HUE-ka-seal
RAmar: RAH-mahr
RAmarl: RAH-mahrl
RAcast: RAH-cast
RAcaseal: RAH-ka-seal
FOmar: FOE-mar
FOmarl: FOE-marul (like a schwa)
FOnewm: FOE-noom
FOnewearl: Foe-NEWearl

vegeta000110
Sep 27, 2003, 08:04 PM
Ra- pronounced like the mayan sun god or (for those yugioh fans out there) like Ra in the winged dragon ra.

Fo- Like foe

Hu- like who

Math
Sep 27, 2003, 08:08 PM
Ra-Like the myth god..or what a lion may say RAAAAAA

Fo-like four but cut off the UR

HU-Like duck tales Huie Duie an Luie

Kadou
Sep 27, 2003, 08:09 PM
I pronounce it the same way you do, but what about Gi? I pronounce it as 'jee,' or to put it more simply, like the letter G.

_Sinue_
Sep 27, 2003, 08:23 PM
I look at the words they sound in the words they spawned from. HU, is the exception, because it's damn hard to pronouce and would sound dumb. HUcast would end up pronounced like "Huh-Cast"

RA is pronounced like RAY, for RAY-nger.

FO is pronounced like FOE, for FOE-rce.

Alot of people prounce Zonde differently than I do. They sound out every letter in the word, like "Zone-De" I consider the E as a silent letter, making it sound like "Zoned" or Z-oh-N-d"

flueggy
Sep 27, 2003, 08:37 PM
i say it like this:
Raeh: RA
Fo: FO
Hew: HU

Kadou
Sep 27, 2003, 08:51 PM
I don't know why, but I pronounce zonde, 'zahnd.' How do people pronounce megid? I sort of switch off between pronouncing the g as it should be and as a j.

flueggy
Sep 27, 2003, 08:56 PM
i pronounce grants and megid like this
garanz: grants
mehghid: megid

ginko990
Sep 27, 2003, 09:07 PM
On 2003-09-27 18:56, flueggy wrote:
i pronounce grants and megid like this
garanz: grants
mehghid: megid

Garanz is a monster. And dosnt sound like Grants at all. your wrong.

flueggy
Sep 27, 2003, 09:11 PM
oops sorry i meant to say grants that's about the way i say it, i always get them confused, ad there is certain similarity in the pronounciation

Nai_Calus
Sep 27, 2003, 09:14 PM
Foie: Foy-ay
Zonde: ZOHN-day
Barta: Bar-tuh

Gi: Rhymed with 'Bee'

Ra: RUH for Barta and Zonde, RA(As in apple) for Foie.

Grants: ...It's Grants. Der.

Megid: MEI-gihd

Resta: REHS-tah

Anti: See Grants.

Shifta: Shift-UH

Deband: Deh-band

Jellen: JEH-rehn.(Yeah, for some reason, I pronounce it with an r. I don't know why)

Zalure: ZAH-luhr

Reverser: Duhhhhhh.

Ryuker: Ryu-KAH

StrongBad
Sep 27, 2003, 09:25 PM
Ray
Hew
Pho

I thought thats how everyone pronounced it. Who would pronounce it Rah?? It doesnt sound right to me.

Berzerker
Sep 28, 2003, 03:44 AM
I thought it woulda been obvious for the types, it just the same way as the beginning of ranger, hunter and force....well sorta, HUE and FOE, but just RAY is how I say them....it mainly enemies and techs and some items and weapons that are said differently

Olga-Rappy
Sep 28, 2003, 05:52 AM
Gi is pronounced like the Ji in JIFF creamy peanut buttter, and Ra is like Rangers and the Sun God.

Foie is "Foe-y"
Barta is like the simpson with an a "ah" at the end
Zonde is "Zond"
Megid is "Mejid"
Grants is like the word meaning to bestow in present tense. (The King grants land to the baron.)
Resta is like Rest with an "ah" at the end
Anti is like the prefix
Reverser is like the word
Zalure is like the word allure with a "Z" in front
Jellen is like Gel with an "en" at the end
Shifta is like the key with an "ah" at the end
Deband is like Decapitate, only with band replacing capitate

VulpesMundi
Sep 28, 2003, 07:03 AM
I pronounce them like this...
HU - hyu (hubris, anyone?)
RA - rah (kinda like raw)
FO - foh (just like the word foe)

Technically, they should be pronounced like this...
HU - huh (huh?)
RA - ray (raygun)
FO - fou (four without the r)

Also, if you play in JP mode, the katakana for Foie is FUoIE which would be pronounced fou-E-ay (fou/four, the letter E, ay/day). But I still tend to pronounce it Foi-E (foi/foil, the letter E).

And finally, a common mistranslation (I used to make it myself) is with Sange. That's a hard G sound, not a J sound, so it should be like the G in gut. And actually, pretty much every item/technique/etc. name in the game with a G in it would also be like this simply because that's how the Japanese pronounce their Gs (and they did make the game). Certainly you wouldn't go around saying (mono) jrinder, would you? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Kooky.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2003-09-28 05:18 ]</font>

TheAlmightyNewbie
Sep 28, 2003, 12:22 PM
Certainly you wouldn't go around saying (mono) jrinder, would you? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2003-09-28 05:18 ]</font>

PFFT J00 R T3H L4M3!!11111 U R N0T L33T 3N0UGH T0 H4V3 S33N A R34L L3G1T M0N0JRINDIRZ!! 2DAY I FOUDN THRREE MONOJRINDERZ AND A TRYJRINDUR IN 1 FAIK IN RAPPY KWUEST!!!!!111

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheAlmightyNewbie on 2003-09-28 10:24 ]</font>

Neptonion
Sep 28, 2003, 12:54 PM
to those of you who pronounce RA rah do you pronounce ranger as RAHnger

Neptonion
Sep 28, 2003, 06:39 PM
hh

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neptonion on 2007-05-11 22:53 ]</font>

joluh
Sep 28, 2003, 06:57 PM
HUmar = Hoo-Mar((like Mars))
HUnewearl = Hoo-New-Earl
HUcast = Hoo-Cast
HUcaseal = Hoo-Cah((like cat))-Seal

RAmar = Rah((like the egypt god RA))-Mar((like Mars))
RAmarl = Rah-Marl((like Martha but change the "tha" for an "l"
RAcast = Rah-Cast
RAcaseal = Rah-Cah((like cat))-Seal

FOmar = Foe-Mar((like Mars))
FOmarl = Foe-Marl((like "Earl" but without the "E"))
FOnewm = Foe-Newm((duh, "New" with an "M"))
FOnewearl = Foe-New-Earl

Easy to explain =)

EDIT:
On 2003-09-28 03:52, Olga-Rappy wrote:
Gi is pronounced like the Ji in JIFF creamy peanut buttter, and Ra is like Rangers and the Sun God.

Foie is "Foe-y"
Barta is like the simpson with an a "ah" at the end
Zonde is "Zond"
Megid is "Mejid"
Grants is like the word meaning to bestow in present tense. (The King grants land to the baron.)
Resta is like Rest with an "ah" at the end
Anti is like the prefix
Reverser is like the word
Zalure is like the word allure with a "Z" in front
Jellen is like Gel with an "en" at the end
Shifta is like the key with an "ah" at the end
Deband is like Decapitate, only with band replacing capitate

that's how i pronounce all those things ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: joluh on 2003-09-28 17:03 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Sep 28, 2003, 11:00 PM
On 2003-09-28 16:39, Neptonion wrote:

this is about the other only fellow on here who understands how english works. good job your the only one who pronounces things correctly

Because, you know, these are all english words used by english-speaking people. >P

I'm bored. Let's transliterate some kana.

Foie, Barta, Zonde:

FO(Combination of 'FU' and smaller 'O') I E 'Foh-ee-eh' ('oh' as in 'hairbow')

ZO N DE 'Zoh-n-deh'

BA- TA 'Bah(as in father, held a bit longer)-tah'

Gifoie, Gibarta, Gizonde:

Same as above with the katakana 'GI' at the beginning. Hard 'G', 'I' as in 'piano'

Rafoie, Rabarta, Razonde:

Same as above with the katakana 'RA' at the beginning. 'A' as in 'father'.

Grants, Megid:

GU RA N TSU 'Goo-rah-n-tsoo'

ME GI DO 'Meh-gee-doh'(Hard g again, sorry, soft g fans...)

Resta, Anti, Reverser:

RE SU TA 'Reh-soo-tah'

A N TI(combination of 'TE' and smaller 'I') "Ah-n-tee"

RI BA- SA- "Ree-bah(held a bit longer)-sah(held a bit longer)

Shifta, Deband, Jellen, Zalure, Ryuker:

SHI FU TA 'Shee-foo-tah'

DE BA N DO 'Deh-bah-n-doh'

JE(combination of JI and smaller E) RU N 'Jeh-roo-n'(This is really badly done! It should be 'JE RE N' for the way they spell it in the game - PSIV gets this better, it's called 'Gelun' there, which is a lot closer to right...)

ZA RU A 'Zah-roo-ah'(Here's another that's squicky. Not nearly as bad as Jellen, though)

RYU(combination of RI and small U)- KA- 'Ryoo(he-ah, you get it by now)-kah'

Some of these almost nobody is even close on. ^^;;; And of course depending on your accent, all 'r's can be pronounced as 'l's(Truest is actually somewhere in between), and all 'f's as 'h's. XD

Reece
Sep 28, 2003, 11:36 PM
Knux...
KAH?! Where do you get KAH (Khi) outta Ker...

Nai_Calus
Sep 29, 2003, 02:25 AM
On 2003-09-28 21:36, Reece wrote:
Knux...
KAH?! Where do you get KAH (Khi) outta Ker...

*points to post above* RYU-KA-. Ryu-KAH. Once again PSIV gets this a little better on the bastardization into english letters, and calls it Ryuka.
At least, that's where I get it. I'm strange that way, I guess.

Olga-Rappy
Sep 29, 2003, 06:00 AM
Thanks Neptonion.

And of course, Ian-Kun, Japanese is a language we all use every day.

Actually, a select ahndful of sad peopel do, in a pathetic attempt to seem Otaku. Yet another side-effect of low self esteem. *eats snickers*

I know we can't depend on ST to get translation right, but if this is how they spelled them, then this is how they probably intended they be pronounced in English.

For example, let's take a hhop skip and a jump over to a certain other major game companies products.

Technically, Mario and Zelda should be either Malio and Zelda, or Mario and Zeruda.

If you can find over 20 people named Malio and/or Zeruda, I'll give you a cookie, then proceed to laugh at them. If you can find anyone named Zelda who is not ridiculed by her peers and is under the tender age of 40, I'll give you a whole plate of cookies.

PlatypusMaximus
Sep 29, 2003, 11:07 AM
I always pronounced the Gi-Techs as Guy. I just think it sounds a little more dignified than Gee-zonde, or Gee-Barta...

Nai_Calus
Sep 29, 2003, 04:53 PM
On 2003-09-29 04:00, Olga-Rappy wrote:
Thanks Neptonion.

And of course, Ian-Kun, Japanese is a language we all use every day.

Actually, a select ahndful of sad peopel do, in a pathetic attempt to seem Otaku. Yet another side-effect of low self esteem. *eats snickers*

I know we can't depend on ST to get translation right, but if this is how they spelled them, then this is how they probably intended they be pronounced in English.

Well, it's one I'm somewhat familiar with, half the music I listen to is Japanese. >P And yes, the Otaku are sad. I am not an Otaku. I do not generally go around inserting x random Japanese word that I don't know the meaning of into everything. I was merely attempting to provide some information for those who cared and were interested but didn't want to take the time/were unable to read kana. *shrug* I like how you flamed me for it, though, and called me pathetic for attempting to provide information that may be of slight interest to some. Not everyone is as xenophobic as you appear to be. And my self-esteem is quite fine, thank you.

I never said it -had- to be pronounced that way by you, or that you should be shot if you didn't like you seem to think.

And of course there's the fact that the people of Pioneer 2 most likely do not speak English -or- Japanese, but another language entirely.

And ST probably doesn't -care- how they get pronounced in English. That you think they do is somewhat amusing to me. But that's just me.

Oh, and by the way, if you want to insult someone and their intelligence, make sure that you use correct spelling and grammar, ok? It works much better... ^_^;

Loser
Oct 1, 2003, 03:11 PM
i pronounce Hu like Hugh grant , Ra like Raw , and Fo like well fo with the "oh" sound

hazard99
Oct 1, 2003, 03:15 PM
no comment.....

Neptonion
Oct 1, 2003, 08:06 PM
ippo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neptonion on 2007-05-11 22:55 ]</font>

Olga-Rappy
Oct 2, 2003, 03:51 AM
Ian-Kun: Why would I be led to believe you were one of those people? Do you act like a stupid Otaku? No. Have you done anything but put it up the transliterations? No. Do you go around saying things like "Kawaii", "Baka", and "Bai bai" for no apprent reason besides the discomfort of others? Definitely not.

And excuse me, I was in a rush, and couldn't spellcheck (it's grammatically A-OK...) this post - I was also typing much faster than normal. Of course, I don't usually leave that many typos, which supports your idea that your entire impression of someone can be changed with one post.

Reaper_090
Oct 2, 2003, 08:30 AM
hmm, i say

Hue
Ray
Foe

Newearl i pronounce new-earl, just like its spelt

AngelAlys
Oct 2, 2003, 09:50 AM
How the **** has this post got over 30 responses when everyone is saying the same bloody thing... lmao... GO HOME PEOPLE THERE IS NOTHING SEE HERE

Olga-Rappy
Oct 2, 2003, 06:21 PM
It'll only be a matter of time before the Men in Black drive up in their black caddilacs and flash their memory-erasing chrome dildos at us. That, or the mods lock this.

monkeyfist
Oct 2, 2003, 06:39 PM
my way:

hew-mar
hew-marl
hew-cast
hew-cuh-say-uhl

rah-mar
rah-marl
rah-cast
rah-cuh-say-uhl

foe-mar
foe-marl
foe-newm
foe-nuh-whirl

foy
gih-""
rah-""
bar-tah
zon-dee
Grants
Meh-gid
ry-u-ker

may-say-tuh

dragon
day-rol-lay
vol-opt
dark-falls
doll-rall-lie(as in,lie down)
ep-sil-on
ol-ga-flo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monkeyfist on 2003-10-02 16:42 ]</font>

X-thirteen
Oct 2, 2003, 06:55 PM
ive always pronounced hucast as who-cast