PDA

View Full Version : where do your names come from?

Aberu
Mar 31, 2001, 01:26 PM
well im wonderin where you peeples' names come from, the ones for you characters and pso world my two characters are Aberu and Tida. Aberu comes from the Dragon Quest Animated TV series, Abel is the main character and correct japanese pronunciation is Aberu so there you go. Tida is the actual translation of FFX's main character, Tidus seems like thats what hes gonna be called in the american but me and my friend translated it from that old video that showed a menu (like a 1/2 year back or so or maybe a year i dunno ) and it was Tida so i thought he sounded cool, i dont like the name Tidus as much i dunno. anyways jus tell me your info!

SaitoH
Mar 31, 2001, 01:36 PM
Hmmmmmmm my characters names......

Aviendha is a character from the "Wheel of time series" by Robert Jordan. I think she has one of the nicest sounding names ever. Maybe if I have a daughter I'll name her Aviendha.......LOL!

Megumi-chan is named after my favorite Japanese voice actress, Megumi Hayasibara.

Pirotess is a dark elf character from the Record of Lodoss war anime. Anyone interested in D&D or fantasy should see this show.

MaximumBeef
Mar 31, 2001, 01:43 PM
Both my PSO characters come from Grandia 2 on the DC. Millenia, who is such a completely great character it hurts (wings of valmar = garuda mag http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif ), and Tio, who is also rather kick-ass, but in a far more robotic way...although she does have some rather sweet moves.

As for my forum name, Maximum Beef was a Quake 3 name my friend and I came up with because we were so crap.

KodiaX987
Mar 31, 2001, 02:14 PM
KodiaX is derived from the bear and I like the sound of it. Unfortunately, no one EVER calls me KodiaX. Maybe kodiak, or kodak, or zodiak, and some girls find that Kodi is rather cute a nickname(!)

The 987 is because I had only ten minutes left before turning the DC off when I created myself.

Holy_Knight
Mar 31, 2001, 02:18 PM
I gave my people a medievil-ish theme
Holy Knight LVL65 (because thats the name i wanted to use for a paladin on diablo2 but it was taken)
Dark Wizard LVL23 (the medievil thing again...)
and Holy Archer LVL26 (sounds kinda weird because i wanted to give it a medievil type name while still letting it be a GREENILL)

Lucidservant
Mar 31, 2001, 02:40 PM
I got most of my names from a want of certain section ids. I used the section id calc (thanks guys) and got 5 section ids for the character types I wanted. Flutter-By(Purplenum), Photon Blast (Redria), Lucidservant (Yellowboze), Mr. Bootyman (Viridia) and The H.N.I.C. (Pinkal). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

jazzyfox
Mar 31, 2001, 02:54 PM
jazzyfox is a few generations derived from jazzman, my email address I use.

Cienna is the name of the one D&D character I played, and I found it in this hyooge list of names.

MRY-H96 is supposed to be an androidicized version of Mary.

Malesie is my Force, who NO-ONE has ever seen http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif I made the name up on the spot.

Doughnut
Mar 31, 2001, 03:43 PM
my HUmar is called Doughnut because...i like doughnut!
my FOmarl is called Dorito because i also like Doritos chips!http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

PrinceBrightstar
Mar 31, 2001, 03:51 PM
PSO didn't have enough space for my name so I abreviated my last name to F. I'm Jonathan Fields. However many confuse me for JFK

AdamW
Mar 31, 2001, 04:27 PM
Well, Metal Gear is obvious enough I suppose. Yes, now I am the new nuclear equipped, walking, death mobile! Muhahahaha! Except I'm not nuclear equipped. And I'm the size of a regular human. Cough.

Grey Fox also comes from Metal Gear. He originally was a HUmar with grey hair and a grey outfit so I thought it fit but he died and I changed Grey Fox to a RAcast. Kine of like the real Grey Fox, getting turnt into a machine. Anyway, he's no longer Grey in any way so the name doesn'y make a lot of sense but it's all good.

Finally, my other character, Sanford, comes from the classic TV show Sanford and Son. I wanted to name him Fred G. Sanford but decided it looked better short.

Oronis
Mar 31, 2001, 05:24 PM
I created the name Talbaine thinking I was original, but then discovered that there was a Darkstalkers character who shared the same name.

Sirren386 is shamelessly taken from Phantasy Star 4.

Veilune is a combination of my rogue and enchanter from EQ.

Oronis originates from AD&D Dark Sun campaign, and is the new name taken by Keltis, Sorceror-King of Kurn, who completely wiped out the Lizardmen in the cleansing wars.

Selthik
Mar 31, 2001, 05:30 PM
Well, considering my name is Cloudette... imagine Cloud, but a girl... that's it, now you're getting it....

Wu
Mar 31, 2001, 06:02 PM
Wu Smash!- Wu is a 'net nick, a shortened version of my old user name, and I picked smash because I made a HUcast and it reminded me of the Hulk. (Smash!, that is)
CAMFSOB- my RAcaseal, stands for Crazy @ss Mother Fu*&(* Son Of a Bi#@*. Its an in-joke with the guys I play with.
Elvis- my force, because he has big sideburns and collar, like the King. And it made him Pinkal.
-edit-
And I think I know you Kodiax, you from the sega.com boards from long ago?

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Wu on 2001-03-31 15:25 ]</font>

skinee
Mar 31, 2001, 06:14 PM
skine comes from my b-boy tag

shushinchu comes from DBGT

and Type:MAMAK1 comes from the board i mod at (pso mamak)

Archer_Hedge
Mar 31, 2001, 07:39 PM
A couple weeks ago I was browsing DailyRadar.com and they had a link to a web page that would generate a Metal Gear Solid name for you. (http://www.buzzsite.com/goodies/MGSnamegen/) I put my name in and out came Archer Hedgehog. Unfortunately, the PSO name field limited me to just Archer Hedge.

For my next characters, I plan on using other name generators (i.e. wu-tang, etc.). So if you know of any good ones, let me know.

IceBlink
Mar 31, 2001, 07:47 PM
Well... 'IceBlink'...

Contrary to popular belief, I am not named after that special armour in Diablo 2, nor am I named after the song by Cocteau Twins, Iceblink Luck... though I am trying to increase my luck by using materials... ANYWAY!

My character's name is actually the name of this anime studio I'm in, and is about to undergo a name change to... IceBlink Productions. Early advertising... heh. ^_^

And the name of my latest character... well... only a few people know what he or she looks like... ^_^

Okay, a clue... she might appear in the fic sometime... ^_^

Needless to say, with the character I made, I managed to slaughter ANY foe I came across, even at level 5... even in the mines. ^_^ Excepting those giant robots with missiles... even a dinky FOmarl can't stand up to that at level 5... ^_^;

Sciler
Mar 31, 2001, 08:24 PM
<font color=red>Well, Akumi was something I was messing with my roommate about. He loves the Street Fighter character Akuma, so much its on his cartag, and to mess with him one time when I beat him for once using Akuma, I told him I was Akumi, hear me roar lol. and I have kinda red hair so when I pulled up up into a ponytail and did the victory pose, i was Akumi http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif lol, so therefore now its a running joke between us.

And my newly made Sciler character, also my name I use for EVERYTHING and its even on my cartag lol. I was playing FF2 and looking through the instruction book for something, and I saw the word RELICS and had teh sudden urge to spell is backwards, so I did...and it looked so cool I had to use it for everything ever since.
RELICS=SCILER

teeheehttp://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif<center>

KodiaX987
Mar 31, 2001, 08:32 PM
Hey Wu, I think I replace you now... Aren't you BoogaWu/Ishmael from Psycho's 9th Sphere board?...

Wu
Mar 31, 2001, 08:59 PM
Yup, thats me.
Whats up man?

VulpesMundi
Mar 31, 2001, 09:28 PM
I'm an avid role player, and for years my friends and I have been working (sorta) on stories based on our role playing endeavors. Three of my characters are regulars from these campaigns.

Aleffe of Midnight: the prince of the house of Midnight. He's a morphic fox. He's in search of his father, who disappeared many years ago. Aleffe, in an old htraean tongue, means True Heart. He's married to...

StarrLight of Midnight: the last known survivor of the house of ClearSky. She's also a morphic fox. Her name was derived from a Star-shaped birthmark over her heart. StarrLight translates to Angel's Heart.

Matthiu Evans Neil: goofy Australian engineer. Following the aftermath of World War III, and the death of his sister, he's become a bit of a drunk. His work, surprisingly, is the only thing that keeps him sane.

Sylpha: she's a new character. I came up with her when I needed a name that gave me a Pinkal ID.

I have artwork of Aleffe and StarrLight, among others, in my art archives at the Vixen Controlled Library. You can have a look for yourself at the following URL. http://velar.ctrl-c.liu.se/vcl/Artists/Vulpes-Mundi/

Zero101
Mar 31, 2001, 10:19 PM
Zero101 has been my computer alias for years... I got it while I was in college. I was a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan (who had a song called Zero) and I lived in dorm room 101. Plus, being a computer science major, the 0101 reminded me of binary code. Thus, I am Zero101. It has just stuck and at this point I doubt it will likely change http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

KodiaX987
Mar 31, 2001, 10:36 PM
Hey Wu, e-mail me at [email protected] so that we can set up a game.

Grahf
Mar 31, 2001, 11:55 PM
Well, my name is Grahf, of course. Originally I got it when I played Xenogears for PSX (an awesome story and game) and I took a liking to the name. I was a member of the Ultima Online community for a LONG time under that name and every game that I play and can choose the I'm Grahf. Even for Tony Hawk 2 my name is Grahf! So, I'm Grahf in PSO. Thats why both my guild card and my Signature says "Badman of the Multiverse"! So thats my story... for now...

Grahf
Apr 1, 2001, 12:01 AM
Oh yeah, and by the way, I don't associate myself with Xenogears anymore. If you see me, and say something like "Dost thou desire the power?" (Grahf's catchphrase fro Xeno) I'll smile and say "I already have it." But thats it! See you guys around!

BTW, i usually hang out on Titania 2, but I think I want to meet all you guys, so its Puck9 right? Later!

Wu
Apr 1, 2001, 12:05 AM
Kodiax, you got mail.

Delta
Apr 1, 2001, 12:43 AM
Delta is a scientific and mathematical term for change. I like changing people's perception of the world and changing the world itself, so it works well. I've used this as a handle for about 8 years now.

-D

DarkWolf
Apr 1, 2001, 12:49 AM
My turn for storytelling... while the internet was still a twinkle in the military's eye, there were bulliten boards (BBS's). I have almost always gone by a "Wolf" or "Dark" based name. By the time I started calling the 'net, I went by the name Lycos (in High Ascii). Well, people thought I was from the search engine. LOL! After a while it got irritating, so I took a part from a past alias of mine (The Dark One), and stuck it to Wolf. Henceforth, my BBS'ing alias, as well as my gaming alias is DarkWolf.

My second character, Plague, just seemed to fit. Black hair, white skin, black and red costume... Redria ID... it all came together too well to pass up. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

LunarShadowX
Apr 1, 2001, 01:31 AM
My name is derived from the combining of both the english name and japanese name of the same character. The J, L, P, come from symbols in japanese name that look like these letters, and the U and A come from the english name. The 249 (in my PSOWorld name only), is also related with this character.

Here's my challenge to all of you: who is this character?

Lardo
Apr 1, 2001, 01:47 AM
Well it seems like i have the strangest name origin.my current person Dot Matrix, came from a cartoon show called reboot.i know its sad, but give me a break. my first person, Dampe de Elf, came from my persons name in everquest,his name was Dampe Wattech.but ultimatly Dampes name comes from Zelda, the ocarina of time, witch is on the n64. well thats my peoples history.

BBMFttM
Apr 1, 2001, 02:52 AM
BBMFttM Is from one of the coolest gangsters flicks(Along with Scarface, Godfather etc) Carlitos way. It stands for Big Bad Mu*&# Fu^#%$ To the MAX!

And for all you dense people. aZnpersuaZn Is Asian Persuasion.

n64psxds
Apr 1, 2001, 12:09 PM
ive always used the name n64psxds, and as a joke I sometimes use the name N65. I just picked it for my PSO name cuz it was easy to type and people would remember me easily

Monkey
Apr 1, 2001, 12:27 PM
Monkey's are funny.

SaitoH
Apr 1, 2001, 12:42 PM
On 2001-04-01 10:27, Monkey wrote:
Monkey's are funny.

LOL! sooooo true.

Tolwyn
Apr 1, 2001, 02:14 PM
Tolwyn is from Wing Commander. If you haven't played or seen it... BLAH!

PSO_Krunk
Apr 1, 2001, 05:20 PM
I named my blocky racast "Krunk" because that's what he looks like.

that is, he looks like the sound "krunk"

the krunk of his huge arms twisting some poor evilsharks neck.

the krunk, krunk, krunk of his footsteps during his goofy running animation

and also because, hey- have you ever met anyone named Krunk! - lol