PDA

View Full Version : Card Games Suck

PontiusR
Oct 2, 2003, 05:56 PM
PSO3...is going to be a backwards step in my opinion.
Why would they ruin such a good thing? The real time play was so great, so fun to play and they decide to take it away? No one in my clan really wants to play it, and I realize there are many other people who don't as well, but me I may rent it just to see. But come on Sega, you guys are smarter than this!

Link00seven
Oct 2, 2003, 08:32 PM
I like Sega's new approch.

I think the strategy aspect will prove quite fun. It's a nice change from before.

Hell, i'm importing it, so call me crazy =P

SkyHawkX
Oct 2, 2003, 08:34 PM
No more noob level uppers or Challenge moders

Shattered_weasel
Oct 2, 2003, 09:47 PM
didn't people say the same thing about FFT

OMG it is a game that doesn't have non-stratigic crap that hurts my weak mind

but that is the best FF....ever

Kent
Oct 3, 2003, 01:59 AM
On 2003-10-02 15:56, PontiusR wrote:
Why would they ruin such a good thing? The real time play was so great, so fun to play and they decide to take it away?

They aren't ruining anything, nor are they taking away anything.

They're using the same resource material to make a different game, one that requires more thinking and strategizing.

No one in my clan really wants to play it, and I realize there are many other people who don't as well, but me I may rent it just to see. But come on Sega, you guys are smarter than this!

Okay, so you're in a clan of people that are afraid of playing a game that requires more strategic gameplay. Sega is doing the smart thing, the hack-and-slash does get old after a few hundred hours of gameplay, so they're making something different, and we all know how addictive and fun strategy games can get.

AngelAlys
Oct 3, 2003, 02:59 AM
I am in agreement that I feel it's a backward step and not progressive at all, BUT I am willing to give it a try to see if its any good... fingers crossed!

AndyPandy
Oct 3, 2003, 05:23 AM
I used to think it was going to be good untill I bought and played the beta. Anways, I will probably be putting the final release up on Ebay when I get it, SWG is where its at now.

fireant
Oct 3, 2003, 08:15 AM
I like it and I like the fact you get your own cards after each game so people dont have to fight over them like in they do now.

Skett
Oct 3, 2003, 04:36 PM
While I think that Ep. 3 is a step foreword. I cant even stand to play PSO Ep. 1&2 anymore, not even online. But Im glad to see most people will at least give it a chance, though.

GuerillaPimp
Oct 3, 2003, 11:44 PM
i love FFT and FFTA, and would rather much see a Phantasy Star "Tactics" than a card based game. But thats just my opinion

flueggy
Oct 4, 2003, 12:11 AM
i have an extremely good answer, sega wants you to play both games, see its like this, if they had made ep. 3 a 3rd person like ep. 1 and 2 then no one would ever play ep. 1 and 2 ever again, so if you play card games you would miss the old battle style or just simply like it more than card games, at least that's what i would do, and i think poeple in japan like card games a whole lot.

Kadou
Oct 4, 2003, 12:17 AM
I think people in Japan are insane and in need of education of proper English grammer (for use even when they're speaking Japanese).

opaopajr
Oct 5, 2003, 06:07 AM
i'd agree that the people in Japan are somewhat "unhinged" when it comes to fads, the most recent being this card fad. And most of the Japanese card games I've played are ridiculous and a disgrace to the genre (FF8 card game, FF9 card game, Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, ad infinitum).

Yet PSO ep3 doesn't come off as bad. I'd still want to play it before I decide, but from what I see the tactical element gives more substance to the mechanics. I get more of a "cards used as setup" and then the board tactics and strategy hits. It's kind of like positioning and equipping in other strategy games, just this time it's done in a quick card format.

The randomization could hurt, but heck, any decent card player knows how to work that (smaller deck size, greater # of card copies). I don't think the card element is really going to overwhelm this game. In other words I don't see this game being a childish tic-tac-toe with war like so many of the other Japanese card games have been. I think the board tactics and Action Points are going to make it more involving.

Sashi
Oct 5, 2003, 06:24 PM
I like how people are willing to pass judgement on a game they have never played, most likely (not always) baseing it off very few facts.

I remember when the game was announced, when there were only 3 facts about the game and no screens, people were still determined to hate it.

Oh well. Opinions make the world go round.

I'm not passing judgement till I get some hours of play in this.

WootHinkInc
Oct 6, 2003, 03:40 AM
opaopajr wrote:
i'd agree that the people in Japan are somewhat "unhinged" when it comes to fads, the most recent being this card fad. And most of the Japanese card games I've played are ridiculous and a disgrace to the genre (FF8 card game, FF9 card game, Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, ad infinitum).

Yet PSO ep3 doesn't come off as bad. I'd still want to play it before I decide, but from what I see the tactical element gives more substance to the mechanics. I get more of a "cards used as setup" and then the board tactics and strategy hits. It's kind of like positioning and equipping in other strategy games, just this time it's done in a quick card format.

The randomization could hurt, but heck, any decent card player knows how to work that (smaller deck size, greater # of card copies). I don't think the card element is really going to overwhelm this game. In other words I don't see this game being a childish tic-tac-toe with war like so many of the other Japanese card games have been. I think the board tactics and Action Points are going to make it more involving.

I highly agree opaopa. The game is gonna be a lot more strategic, and will add plenty to the PSO enviroment I think. A new change.

You know, this sounds kinda fun. I know I am getting it when it comes out now. Something different, and hopefully, any sort of hacks will not be useful? I dunno, they always find something to hack.

I am definatly getting it when it first comes out.

AndyPandy
Oct 7, 2003, 04:36 AM
On 2003-10-05 16:24, Sashi wrote:
I like how people are willing to pass judgement on a game they have never played, most likely (not always) baseing it off very few facts.

I remember when the game was announced, when there were only 3 facts about the game and no screens, people were still determined to hate it.

Some poeple have played it.

Malkavian
Oct 7, 2003, 11:22 AM
On 2003-10-07 02:36, AndyPandy wrote:

Still there's a big difference between PSO Episode 3 Trial and final version.

navci
Oct 8, 2003, 02:13 PM
I think, and this is only my opinion.
That a step backwards is to keep the same gameplay over and over and over again once the first one got sucess. If all Sega ever does is make the same kinda game over and over and over again there won't be so many die-hard Sega fans.

I think Ep.3 is going to be great. Brand-new oddly cool stuff is what Sega is good at. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

PJ
Oct 8, 2003, 03:44 PM
On 2003-10-08 12:13, navi wrote:
I think, and this is only my opinion.
That a step backwards is to keep the same gameplay over and over and over again once the first one got sucess. If all Sega ever does is make the same kinda game over and over and over again there won't be so many die-hard Sega fans.

I think Ep.3 is going to be great. Brand-new oddly cool stuff is what Sega is good at. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Very true! Never thought about that ^_^; I can't wait to get this game... and get an Episode 2 Challenge S-Rank (Which should be soon ^_^)

Cloak
Oct 10, 2003, 09:32 AM
On 2003-10-02 18:34, SkyHawkX wrote:
No more noob level uppers or Challenge moders

Is that all you can ever say? Must be like the 16th time I saw you post that and I don't even read these forums that much. What's the big problem anyways? Couldn't handle Lvlin' Up/C-Mode?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cloak on 2003-10-10 07:32 ]</font>

Sashi
Oct 10, 2003, 09:57 PM
On 2003-10-07 09:22, Malkavian wrote:

On 2003-10-07 02:36, AndyPandy wrote:

Still there's a big difference between PSO Episode 3 Trial and final version.

Yes, some people have played it. There is a very large majority of people that have not played it, and alot of people I see that are against the game have not played it.

I understand it was still just a trial, and didn't include everything yet, and it is kinda unfair to judge how the final will be based off a trial, or beta.

jt
Oct 12, 2003, 04:06 PM
On 2003-10-02 15:56, PontiusR wrote:
Why would they ruin such a good thing? The real time play was so great, so fun to play and they decide to take it away? No one in my clan really wants to play it, and I realize there are many other people who don't as well, but me I may rent it just to see. But come on Sega, you guys are smarter than this!

yeah im not doubting it, but i will definelty rent it just because it carries the PSO name