PDA

View Full Version : Egad! That's quite a bit...

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 3, 2003, 11:47 AM
It occurs to me, that I've spent a small fortune on PSO. Anyone else bought stuff up this much? o_O Seriously, I want to know if I'm the only person who's done this... Check this out...
Bought two Dreamcasts and two version 1 discs. Version two game out. I then bought two copies of version 2, later bought a copy for a friend, then bought another copy for a friend, and later replaced a copy for the first friend... That's 5 copies of v2 right there... Let's not neglect the 2 copies of the Versus Books PSO guide, as well as the Book of Hunters.
I've bought the PSO Gushapon dohickeys (little figurines)off of eBay, so I've got 24 of those.
I also bought a GameCube and PSO the day that PSO was released. Soon later, I bought a GameCube and the game for my wife (we hadn't married yet, and she was in college out-of-state at the time-- PSO was a pleasent way to meet with eachother). I then went on to buy GameCubes and PSO for my brother-in-law and a good friend (they had to perform many tasks of menial labor to earn them, mind you).

On top of this, I pay for everyones' Hunters' Licenses, too.

So what does this add up to? Well, let's summarize the list of things bought expressly for the purpose of PSO--
Dreamcast x2
PSOv1 x2
PSOv2 x5
GameCube x4
PSO Episodes I&II x4
PSO Gushapon x1 (24 figurines in single purchase)
PSO Guide Book x2
Book of Hunters x1
HL Fees for DC x2 (for several months at a time)
HL Fees for GC x4 (On-going...)

HL's asside, that's $1,262 I've spent on PSO.
Estimated result including HL fees... $1,455.20.

That's quite a bit. I should note, however... I've got no regrets here. It's been worth every penny. Especially considering that if I hadn't spent it on PSO, I'd probably have spent it on fast food or something that doesn't last long like that.

So... Has anyone else spent a huge amount like that? Does anyone else do this? O_o

GuerillaPimp
Oct 3, 2003, 11:53 AM
whoa..i thought I was an addict. I only bought the DC version, DC version for a friend, GC version, and Xbox version. But YOU take the cake!

VioletSkye
Oct 3, 2003, 12:14 PM
No way would I waste that much money on this game. I bought the GC version used as on the recommendation of a friend. Its been a descent diversion from D2, but definitely not as addicting. I think for those who haven't played online games before, it may hold alot more appeal. However to old school online pc gamers, I think it lacks alot of the features I'm used to. Not to mention the abundance of little annoying kids that play. Its true you find those players all over, but since consoles have traditionally been geared more towards younger kids, there seems to be more in PSO than say Everquest, D2 AO, Ultima etc. Thats not to say I haven't found some really cool players who are younger, I'm just tired of all the immature ones lol. And why oh why is there no SQUELCH funtion in the lobbies? Also it would have been nice to be able to create and password our own lobbies.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2003-10-03 10:19 ]</font>

Berzerker
Oct 3, 2003, 12:15 PM
WHOA, geez, I thought I was sending quite a bit with the Adapter, the game, memory card and thinking bout hunters lisence fee's...oh, btw, I might be online for the first time today! YAY http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif it should be great, if any of you lot happen to be on, me character a RAcast, lv 106, called Dave. I like the name 'Dave'...I should really stop naming all my RPG main charaters 'Dave'...ah, well, I could do with some help online if any of you lot can help

VioletSkye
Oct 3, 2003, 12:21 PM
On 2003-10-03 10:15, Berzerker wrote:
WHOA, geez, I thought I was sending quite a bit with the Adapter, the game, memory card and thinking bout hunters lisence fee's...oh, btw, I might be online for the first time today! YAY http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif it should be great, if any of you lot happen to be on, me character a RAcast, lv 106, called Dave. I like the name 'Dave'...I should really stop naming all my RPG main charaters 'Dave'...ah, well, I could do with some help online if any of you lot can help

Welcome aboard http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I rarely, if ever, play anymore but I'd be willing to join you online maybe later tonight. Sounami was wanting to get a white ring, and maybe we can do a Lab run.

Scejntjynahl
Oct 3, 2003, 12:26 PM
What type of job do you have?...Grrrr I work 45 hours a week and it would kill me to spend as much as you have! I guess if I had that kind of money I would also go crazy getting stuff for PSO.

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 3, 2003, 12:29 PM

O_O Egad... Memory cards... I've spent a good $300 more on GC memory cards, let alone DC VMUs... O_O!

Berzerker
Oct 3, 2003, 12:30 PM
On 2003-10-03 10:21, VioletSkye wrote:

Welcome aboard http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I rarely, if ever, play anymore but I'd be willing to join you online maybe later tonight. Sounami was wanting to get a white ring, and maybe we can do a Lab run.

Yeah, sure that would be great http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif well, I would need to go down to Gamestation and buy a Broadband adapter....hmm..then I need to get it all set up...how long that take? Oh, and do you know what ship/block you'll be hanging out at?

zimmk2vgc
Oct 3, 2003, 12:33 PM
On 2003-10-03 09:53, GuerillaPimp wrote:
whoa..i thought I was an addict. I only bought the DC version, DC version for a friend, GC version, and Xbox version. But YOU take the cake!

Fuck the cake, he took every single bakery shop more like it...

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 3, 2003, 12:35 PM
On 2003-10-03 10:26, Furankunichan wrote:
What type of job do you have?...Grrrr I work 45 hours a week and it would kill me to spend as much as you have! I guess if I had that kind of money I would also go crazy getting stuff for PSO.

Well, when I started, I was the single solitary person capable of programming an important machine at a cheap cabinet manufacturer (in fact, they've still not found anyone else that can do it), but now I'm a Civil Draftsman... I draw construction plans for parking lots, streets and subdivisions. I make pretty decent money, but even still, I'm pretty consistently broke. Keep in mind though, that this is money spent since 2001 when I bought my DC, and the whole thing started. I'd consider the rest of my Phantasy Star collection (that is, stuff considering the first four games) in this as well, except that most of those items were given as gifts.

It might serve to note though... The total including memory cards and VMUs comes to... $1,875.20...

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 3, 2003, 12:36 PM
On 2003-10-03 10:33, zimmk2vgc wrote:

On 2003-10-03 09:53, GuerillaPimp wrote:

Fuck the cake, he took every single bakery shop more like it...

lmao!

VioletSkye
Oct 3, 2003, 12:39 PM
On 2003-10-03 10:30, Berzerker wrote:

On 2003-10-03 10:21, VioletSkye wrote:
[quote]

Yeah, sure that would be great http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif well, I would need to go down to Gamestation and buy a Broadband adapter....hmm..then I need to get it all set up...how long that take? Oh, and do you know what ship/block you'll be hanging out at?

When I first got my Broadband adapter, I was using a hub and it was able to detect and assign an IP automatically. Meaning all I did was plug in the cat5 cable and I was online http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Now that I'm using a router I am assigning it an IP manually. Either way, its very easy to set up. I usually hang out in Denebs but just send me a PM when your on.

Naagata_Clan
Oct 3, 2003, 12:40 PM
The amount of money you have spent on PSO is mind boggling I assure you. But anything to get the value of multiplayer.
*yawns*
I guess I would have too at one point in life, but I would like to know what you do for a living to spend that much. It's just a little curiosity... or maybe it's just something I missed... Woah... I'm off today...

Berzerker
Oct 3, 2003, 12:40 PM
holy flaming kangaroos, that much on memory cards?!?! and I thought I was addicted...and me friend! geez, I make hardly no money....maybe cos I have no job http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ah, well, me happy as long as I keep entertained....and dont fail skool....meh!

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 3, 2003, 12:49 PM
An interesting thought is that I have personally funded an entire team.

Berzerker
Oct 3, 2003, 12:51 PM
kooooool, I'll send a PM when me on then...if I do get on..hope I do.oh, wait, damn, it gonna be pretty hard without me Dad here..cos he gonna get REAL angry if I got messing with broadband http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ah well, me read the manual and ring him maybe, then everything will be fine....me hope...*worried look*

Gradius
Oct 3, 2003, 12:55 PM
well...

DC #1 on 9.9.99 = $200
DC #2 modded for v.2 = $120
v.1 USA = $50
v.2 JP = $50
v.2 USA = $50
DC Broadband Adapter #1 = $60
DC Broadband Adapter #2 = $115
Gamecube #1 (launch gamecube, lost by fedex...) = $200
Gamecube #2 (Spice Modded) = $225
Gamecube BBA = $50?
PSO Ep. 1&2 JP v.1 = $50
HL x ???
EDIT: also 2 GC memory cards, 2 4x VMUs, 1 Nexus Memory card, 1 Blue VMU

Soon:
PSO Ep. 1&2 Plus JP = $40

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2003-10-03 10:57 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gradius on 2003-10-03 10:58 ]</font>

BIZKIT
Oct 3, 2003, 12:55 PM
I've got it easy my friends parents bought him a gamecube and PSO and never plays it so i borrow it and play it now. we dont have a BBA or HLs yet. so that sucks

Berzerker
Oct 3, 2003, 01:01 PM
ah, damn it...I might not be on today thanks to not being able to get down to Gamestation...I wanna lift down there, but it not looking probable...damn it!!! but me and me sis trying to get down there....hmm, 50/50 chance that me mum will give in, but it look like she not moving

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 3, 2003, 01:02 PM
On 2003-10-03 10:55, Gradius wrote:
well...

DC #1 on 9.9.99 = $200
DC #2 modded for v.2 = $120
v.1 USA = $50
v.2 JP = $50
v.2 USA = $50
DC Broadband Adapter #1 = $60
DC Broadband Adapter #2 = $115
Gamecube #1 (launch gamecube, lost by fedex...) = $200
Gamecube #2 (Spice Modded) = $225
Gamecube BBA = $50?
PSO Ep. 1&2 JP v.1 = $50
HL x ???
EDIT: also 2 GC memory cards, 2 4x VMUs, 1 Nexus Memory card, 1 Blue VMU

Soon:
PSO Ep. 1&2 Plus JP = $40

That's a good $1,210 right there. Not bad at all. I forgot about the BBAs myself, though... I've bought 3 of those and a modem for the GC... Coming to a grand total of $2,075.20... Anything else I must've spent, but am neglecting?

Berzerker
Oct 3, 2003, 01:05 PM
oh, damn, tomorrow.me get it tomorrow, ah, well, better than nothing

VioletSkye
Oct 3, 2003, 01:29 PM
On 2003-10-03 11:05, Berzerker wrote:
oh, damn, tomorrow.me get it tomorrow, ah, well, better than nothing

np. just pm me, whenever you're ready http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Scejntjynahl
Oct 3, 2003, 01:40 PM
How about extra controllers when playing multiplayer offline? That should also be mentioned given the fact that a licensed nindtendo controller for GC runs about $24 dollars each (average)!

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 3, 2003, 01:49 PM
On 2003-10-03 11:40, Furankunichan wrote:
How about extra controllers when playing multiplayer offline? That should also be mentioned given the fact that a licensed nindtendo controller for GC runs about $24 dollars each (average)!

Eek... Well, thankfully, I bought myself 3, but only 1 extra control for the other three GameCubes. On the other hand, I've also bought 3 keyboards, too. That's $20 a pop... Bringing me up to $2,279.20.. Woo...

Lede
Oct 3, 2003, 03:58 PM
Well Hunewreal i consider you a true dedicated gamer, not a addict, and to play for every ones HL thats quite a big step. congrats on provinga gamer has no limit.

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 3, 2003, 06:31 PM
On 2003-10-03 13:58, Lede wrote:
Well Hunewreal i consider you a true dedicated gamer, not a addict, and to play for every ones HL thats quite a big step. congrats on provinga gamer has no limit.

The real sick thing is that despite having GC PSO since the day it was released, my highest level character is only level 89 or so. Next on the list are two level 35 characters, soon followed by 9 other characters who are level 20 or lower (that's right-- 12 characters; one of each class, plus 4 characters that I'm either not serious about, or have allowed others to make). Of course, they'd all be well over 100, maybe even a couple of level 200's... But when you work 8 hours a day and your weekends are monopolized with friends and in-laws wanting to spend your money, time becomes a most valuable commodity, and when you do have it at your disposal, you've no idea what to do with it.

Kent
Oct 3, 2003, 06:40 PM
You... don't belong in public.

Lede
Oct 4, 2003, 08:28 AM
You think that is bad? i have about 12 characters 4 are 130+ other 4 are 100+ my higest level is 183 and i have 4 more made for storage. yet iv had my lede character since game came but dam i dont really want 200 that bad.

Garm
Oct 4, 2003, 12:13 PM
price of internet connection
snack and drinks to keep you alive while piping for rare enemies and power usage

Olga-Rappy
Oct 4, 2003, 08:22 PM
me character a RAcast, lv 106, called Dave. I like the name 'Dave'...I should really stop naming all my RPG main charaters 'Dave'

http://www.disasterlabs.com/index.php?sec=dtik

Lol, you have to see this.

Let's see... I paid for:

PSO v.1 - 50$
PSO v.2 - 30$
PSO Ep 1&2 - 50$
11 Months of Hunter's Liscense. $98.45

$228.45 total, not too bad, considering I've gotten ~18 months worth of hours added up.

That's actually a prtty good value. The only better ratio I can think of is Ocarina of Time (N64) and Soul Calibur (DC) - $50 for each of them, but ~3 months total playing time.

And for the sake of a controlled experiment, let's toss in something mediocre, like Super Mario 64. $50, for 1 months's cumulative time. And something crappy, say... SA2. $50 for 5 days, or if we round to a week, .25 months.

So, using the Density formula, Value = Cost over Cumulative Playing Time. So, lower numbers should be a better value.

PSO = 12 1/6
Ocarina of Time and Soul Calibur = 16 1/6
Super Mario 64 = 50
SA2 < 200

Hmm... I think these results make sense.

Ranger_Larry
Oct 5, 2003, 08:12 AM
All that matters is that you still have enough money to save and pay bills.(if you need to, don't know your age or anything) And that you do not neglect the important things in life. ....well even if you're young you still should start thinking about being responsible with money, but what is spent is spent. If you are feeling a pinch on money I would sure suggest dropping a couple of HLs. Basically, if you have to ask (or think about) the price you can't afford it......

AppieDPC
Oct 5, 2003, 10:06 AM
2 DC's (first $200, second $140)
PAL DC v1 ($55 or something)
JPN DC v2 ($80)
PAL DC v2 ($20)
6 VMU's (in total about $120)
1 4MB card for DC ($15 or something)
Japanese Gamecube (about $350)
ASCII KB (about $100)
2 59 blocks Memory Cards (about $50 total)
Ep 1&2 JPN 1.0 ($100)
Ep 1&2 JPN 1.1 ($100)
JPN Modem ($40 or something)
JPN BBA ($40 also or something)
Played DC for 2 years with a modem (average was $100 a month)
Played on a modem on my cube for about 6 months(average 80 a month) after that on BBA (my ADSL costs about $60 a month) been on ADSL for 6 months now on the cube.
5 JPN DC v2 HL's (total $50)
4(and starts counting again when Ep3 comes) JPN Cube HL's (total $60)
Oh yeah during my DC days I had to buy 2 new DC controllers, because I played PSO way too much, buttons wouldn't work properly anymore, VMU ports started to mess up (didn't recognize the VMU half way during play)
So 2 new DC pads ($40 total or something)

Note: the price I said for the stuff I imported, includes taxes and shipping(to Europe, where I live).

Hmmm *calculates* including Modem/BBA costs my PSO costs over 3 years are $4800 0_0!
But the orginal poster tops this http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Then again I don't support a full team (just me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AppieDPC on 2003-10-05 08:08 ]</font>

flaprabbit
Oct 6, 2003, 02:13 PM
Dreamcast-$100
PSO v1 used -$17
PSO v2 new-$50
Dreamcast VMUx8-$80
Dreamcast Keyboard-$20
HL 1 year-$40
Gamecube-$200
Gamecube modding-$25
PSO trial/full version-$130
GC Keyboard/controller-$80
Mem Card 59-$10
Mem Card-$20
HL 1 year-$40
X Box-$200
PSO I&II-$40
X Box Live-$50
HL-$36
PSO Gashapon Toys-$44

Total so far is $1132.00, luckily a lot of this was purchased using store credit from trade-ins, but it's definitely a lot of money invested in 1 game.

Mixfortune
Oct 6, 2003, 02:27 PM
It's only for one game if those were the only games
you owned on DC/GC/Xbox. Otherwise the
systems/memory cards/controllers would not quite
have as much affect as a factor...

Still, quite impressive. And to think, a single
DDREX machine costs $5500+... I want one http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2003-10-06 12:28 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 7, 2003, 11:56 AM
On 2003-10-05 08:06, AppieDPC wrote:
2 DC's (first $200, second $140)
PAL DC v1 ($55 or something)
JPN DC v2 ($80)
PAL DC v2 ($20)
6 VMU's (in total about $120)
1 4MB card for DC ($15 or something)
Japanese Gamecube (about $350)
ASCII KB (about $100)
2 59 blocks Memory Cards (about $50 total)
Ep 1&2 JPN 1.0 ($100)
Ep 1&2 JPN 1.1 ($100)
JPN Modem ($40 or something)
JPN BBA ($40 also or something)
Played DC for 2 years with a modem (average was $100 a month)
Played on a modem on my cube for about 6 months(average 80 a month) after that on BBA (my ADSL costs about $60 a month) been on ADSL for 6 months now on the cube.
5 JPN DC v2 HL's (total $50)
4(and starts counting again when Ep3 comes) JPN Cube HL's (total $60)
Oh yeah during my DC days I had to buy 2 new DC controllers, because I played PSO way too much, buttons wouldn't work properly anymore, VMU ports started to mess up (didn't recognize the VMU half way during play)
So 2 new DC pads ($40 total or something)

Note: the price I said for the stuff I imported, includes taxes and shipping(to Europe, where I live).

Hmmm *calculates* including Modem/BBA costs my PSO costs over 3 years are $4800 0_0!
But the orginal poster tops this http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Then again I don't support a full team (just me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AppieDPC on 2003-10-05 08:08 ]</font>

On 2003-10-06 12:13, flaprabbit wrote:
Dreamcast-$100
PSO v1 used -$17
PSO v2 new-$50
Dreamcast VMUx8-$80
Dreamcast Keyboard-$20
HL 1 year-$40
Gamecube-$200
Gamecube modding-$25
PSO trial/full version-$130
GC Keyboard/controller-$80
Mem Card 59-$10
Mem Card-$20
HL 1 year-$40
X Box-$200
PSO I&II-$40
X Box Live-$50
HL-$36
PSO Gashapon Toys-$44

Total so far is $1132.00, luckily a lot of this was purchased using store credit from trade-ins, but it's definitely a lot of money invested in 1 game.

Well, it's good to see that I'm at least not the only one who's spent well over a grand on the game. Here's to another grand!

zimmk2vgc
Oct 7, 2003, 03:20 PM
theres buying a hunters license and going completely bokers....I say you've gone a little over the top...