PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, From the Newbs

NightSamurai
Oct 8, 2003, 06:27 PM
I just want to thank those of you out there that help newbs like me. I just bought PSO for the Xbox 1 week ago and i am already Lvl 40. This is thanks to the kindness of many people who either gave me items or helped me to gain lvls. I just want to say thanks to all of you who help us new guys out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-10-09 00:36 ]</font>

s.TiNgEr
Oct 8, 2003, 06:59 PM
I love newbie helpers.... because I am one...
have fun with your new pso btw

Cerris
Oct 8, 2003, 07:13 PM
newb helprs r nice!
I help(when I can)
Im still a newb myself... though i give away free yamatos, double sabres, db saber, ect

PABLOparavida
Oct 8, 2003, 07:38 PM
I dupe for noobs. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I don't see many though cause all my characters are in ult. Congrats on buying PSO. It is addicting.

Alteisen
Oct 8, 2003, 08:51 PM
Hey, s'cool that you found people to help you out and stuff.

In fact, I wouldn't mind playing alongside you, but I'd have to get my FO out of Hard mode first. Unless you don't mind having a HUcaseal tag along...

Superguppie
Oct 9, 2003, 02:24 AM
I hate lowlvlz. That's why I help them end their lowlvl existence...
And I believe in team-work, which includes sharing information and items...

silvermax
Oct 9, 2003, 03:42 AM
i want some free Double sabers http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

ive only been able to find 1....

opaopajr
Oct 9, 2003, 06:06 AM
i used to do that in the beginning, be a gifter and shield wall. in fact i tried to start a guild of shield walls and gifters called Red Cross 4001. we'd try to find low levels and give them cash, mats., units, armor, sometimes weapons, and stand in front of enemy attacks as they tried to learn how to fight.

eventually the first age of the game shark came. then everything was lost. the guild disbanded. the world was too much of a risk. we were no longer needed or wanted and our characters were in danger...

eh, times change don't they.

Armok
Oct 9, 2003, 08:18 AM
Look power leveling newbies aint helping them.

Vet 'u new'
Newb 'yer wats that weopon u got its cool'
Vet 'its a spread needle want one'
Newb 'yer thanxs u so kind'

Vet drops Spread needle (0,0,100,100,50)

Vet 'you'll need this too'

Vet drops Guld Milla (100,100,0,0,100)

Newb ' i can't use them'
Vet 'here'

Vet drops lv 200 sato (10,100,90,0)

Newb 'wow thanxs'

One week later Newb stops playing after finishing Normal mode and getting bored as all weopons they have found r useless compared to Needle.

Stop Twinking New ppl.

Mystil
Oct 9, 2003, 08:19 AM
I like helping true new players out. They are the funnest to play with.... All you new players- You're quite welcome. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

_Sinue_
Oct 9, 2003, 08:53 AM
Armok is right. My idea of helping a newbie is to walk behind them and observe their playstyle. I give them hints, tips, strategies. I tell them what monsters are weak against what spells, how to dodge counter attacks, I give advice on how to raise mags, and tell them how to properly tekk a weapon. Things like that. Sheilding them from damage and giving them uber weapons only make them rely on someone to be a sheild for them and to give them uber items.

Seems to me, that if someone can't beat a area or a boss - the most common answer is "Get better stuff". While that will help - it's far more effective to teach them how to play the game properly so that they won't NEED those uber items.

Then.. when they become good and eventually get those high level items - they'll know how to use them efficently and work as a team.

Coxy
Oct 9, 2003, 09:32 AM
True, althou i can't say i havent given away the occasional al rappy http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

if im helping a guy level up then i usually just hang back watch what they do and heal/revive when needed

what does my head in, ill give you an example

i was playing with a level 40 something guy on v hard, so we are in the game and im level 110+ and im just watching the guy, not hitting anything not really picking anything up either unless i get hit or need some tp back, so, in comes this guy whose closer to my level and what does he do, goes around killing everything so this other guy doesnt even have the chance, and then picks everything up while hes at it!

Scejntjynahl
Oct 9, 2003, 09:45 AM
It is like the old saying "You can give a fish to a hungry person...or you can teach them how to fish so when you are not around..." something to taht effect. So Sinue is right, it is best to teach them and let them be on their own...and only butt in when it is absolutely necessary.

Coxy
Oct 9, 2003, 10:18 AM
On 2003-10-09 07:45, Furankunichan wrote:
It is like the old saying "You can give a fish to a hungry person...or you can teach them how to fish so when you are not around..." something to taht effect. So Sinue is right, it is best to teach them and let them be on their own...and only butt in when it is absolutely necessary.

give a man a fish and he'll eat for one day
teach a man to fish and he'll eat for the rest of his life

i think

Maelkith
Oct 9, 2003, 02:56 PM
if you are going to help a newbie, dont ruin the experience for them. old low level 4 slot armor, ogres, angels, elfs and dragons are fine as give aways if the person is way over their head on hard or veryhard. even the odd 0% varista or db saber are ok as well if they know how common they are. please dont spoil the thrill of their first red box. meseta is ok too, but dont give them 999999. whenever possible trade down your junk. if you have a common rare, trade them for their unequipable rares. if a hunter has a club of laconium, and you trade it for a 9 star flowens, they will still feel like they earned it. i go into trade rooms and help newbies that way.

on my first day way back in may of 2001, i had a nice fonewearl give my cousin and i one general/power each. she also gave us 10000 meseta. she explained slots, armor, percents and boss tactics. she took us through normal caves and mines for our first time. Darkwolf was very cool to help us, but also cool enough to know not to help us too much. that is probably the reason that i am still playing after 2 1/2 years, and helping newbies almost as much as leveling my own characters.

Naagata_Clan
Oct 9, 2003, 03:01 PM
On 2003-10-09 08:18, Coxy wrote:

give a man a fish and he'll eat for one day
teach a man to fish and he'll eat for the rest of his life

i think

Dang, you beat me to it...
Anyways yeah, I help newbies out by watching them, and backing them up. I keep them S/D and the enemies J/Z. So they lower the risk of dying and such.. I remember playing and say a lvl. 20 character that didn't even know you could do a 3 button tap combo... kind of odd to see him swing the Brand once, then stop... then swing it once... then stop... really odd...

As far as equipment goes... I give them the super common rares... DBs saber, Blade Dance, etc... and if I give them units nothing higher than say Angel, Ogre, Metal... stuff like that. none of the God/Devil units... Just need to give them a little bit, you know, so they have something to build up their chars for...

Although I do BUILD mags... never give them to newbs... I think it would just end up killing the game for them.

Superguppie
Oct 10, 2003, 01:36 AM
As a lvl150+ that is still making progress and doesn't trhow away anything I have loads of junk. Most of which is untradable because of all the dupes going round.
So when I find a newby, I first try offering a trade of some of it for a P-drop each.
Then, when I've done an area and a bossfight with'em and I've seen they play well, I give'em some.
I always try to trade/give something they can use directly. 4slot armors after lvlup are very popular.
Also, I usualy do a shield/heal but do watch them and encourage them to get a style of their own. (Especialy the RA that have a tendency to stay too close to the enemies...)
It keeps the gameplay interesting for them, which is what the online thing should be all about: interesting till lvl200...

Mumfizle
Oct 10, 2003, 01:46 AM
Leme guess, you have a dreamcast mag and a J-sword only and you want to know what all the other wepons are because all you use is the j-sword.

CrimsonII2
Oct 10, 2003, 03:21 AM
okay, that post was a bit on the oddside, well on topic, even though I was playing in the later days of DC, I still helped plenty of newbs, in fact I was shocked to see that many newbs around, the way i'd help, is like others, go through an area or 3 with them, and try to help them out in things like armor, and pass down low units, and things like 9 star weapons, especially since in v2 9 stars were so common to find, in GC though I didn't run inot too many newbies, allthough when I did, I helped them learn how to play, and passed down things that I knew they could use generally I'd buy some things out of the shop for them, and at most give em like 20 or 30,000 meseta, allthough I rarely gave them any meseta, just spent some for them,

opaopajr
Oct 12, 2003, 01:25 AM
this was before the first age of the game shark, most people barely got onto v.hard let alone spare 999,999 meseta. =D i was talking about dark handguns +15 and stuff. like i said, when the first age of the game shark came we became useless. no one wants a saber +10 with 35% on forest, the lvl 5's wer asking for gold weapons...

times, they a change.

FIERY
Oct 12, 2003, 01:26 PM
GAH!! GAMESHARK IS EVAL!!!!! um... yea.. O.o;... neway.. i'm gonna be online pretty soon... so i guess i'll see u guys on sometime... i'm a Lv 4 HUmar called MAT! hope 2 cu guys online someday!

Duela_Night
Oct 13, 2003, 01:00 PM
You are indeed welcome I like helping Newbies because when I first started playing there were a few to help me out on my first few quest then I was let loose on my own. So from that day on I mainly devoted all of my time helping newbies, I even made a team back when I was on level 60, and their levels consisted of lvl 1,4,12,.We all enjoyed playing and questing together.