PDA

View Full Version : PC: DSL Problem

_KemiKal_
Oct 9, 2003, 08:46 AM
i have been having problems with my dsl lately. when im downloading data my modem "pauses" for a few seconds then resumes downloading. this "pause" happens when the "activity" light on my modem pauses and then the "link" light flashes and then it starts to download again.

this happens about one every 5 or 6 seconds and makes it impossible to play games online or to get a good download speed. below i will describe the lights on the modem to try and make it easier to understand.

theres 4 lights on the modem:

Power - lit up when pluged into power outlet

Ready- Lights up when pluged into the phone line

Link- Lights up when pluged into the ethernet cord from the computer

Activity- Flashes when downloading

I have called my ISP (verizon) and they said theres nothing wrong with their service and my speeds look fine but obviously something is wrong. i have tried reseting the network settings and stuff like that but so far its done no good. also my friend is having the same problem as well (he has verizon dsl too). But verizon still says its not them.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

VioletSkye
Oct 10, 2003, 10:23 PM
LOL. I was going to recommend Broadband Reports, but I see you already found them. I went into the Telco section and browsed the Verizon forum and voila, there was the exact same post http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Welcome aboard Shneeko!!

_KemiKal_
Oct 10, 2003, 10:42 PM
hehe.. ya i posted in a few forums...and so far the broadband reports forum is the only one ive actually gotten a reply too.

VioletSkye
Oct 10, 2003, 10:47 PM
There are TONS of extremely knowledgeable people there so I'm sure they will be able to help you.

Rich_T
Oct 11, 2003, 04:33 AM
I had a simalar prblem when i did something wrong with my router ( too much messing around with settings), and i had to re-set it to factory conditions.
I set the router fordhcp spoofing, both of which gave the exact same results as your listing above.

it is now configured as:

Service Type: Dynamic Address

Service Description: NAPT, DHCP, DNS

_KemiKal_
Oct 11, 2003, 10:00 AM
im currently not using a router now tho. would that work even if your not using a router? if so could you walk me through it (im a newb when it comes to computers)? thanx

zimmk2vgc
Oct 12, 2003, 04:14 PM
using a router would make it a lot easy to get onlinr because you dont have to fiddle around with ICS, just plug in and go. alcatel dsl routers are the most reliable ones on the market, but the instructions are crap.

would having a fixed IP address affect playing PSO online?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zimmk2vgc on 2003-10-12 14:15 ]</font>