PDA

View Full Version : The Common things we do in PSO

Surge_21xx
Oct 9, 2003, 02:49 PM
I know most of us have at least played the offline mode for PSO or always play it for the simple fact that you dont want to (or cant) play online. So I was wondering, what are some of the things you do in PSO to help you get through quests (missions, Jobs ect. . .) better.

to explain more, I personally whenever running through a hall/pathway I press the start button to avoid getting stopped by mines and I just run right passed them. another example is more obvious but I know some friends dont use it, but know about when (on the gamecube for example) you hold down the R trigger and press Y to access a quick action menu to access weapons, tools (items), and magic. I know there are more examples I could list, but I was wondering what all of you do improve your success in a misson (you can also say how you configure your buttons for battle)

Naagata_Clan
Oct 9, 2003, 02:54 PM
Uhhh... some of the things you named work very well on multiplayer too...
Well for me some of the major things I do are:
Rearrange my spell list on the quick menu... Normally my order is...
Resta
Anti
Jellen
Zalure
Then from Bottom to top I have
Reverser
Shifta
Deband

Switch your shortcut for just the "R" button to 3 things you will highly use... normally mine are...
Gifoie, Gizonde, Rabarta...

I don't put healing spells there since I have them as my top 2 on my list for the quick menu...

lastly... I keep my weapons in a good order, so when I'm in the battlefield, I can switch my weapons quickly using the quick menu...

Basically my method of survival is abusing that "R + Y" quick menu. And pressing start whenever I run through a hallway... like I said... it works online too.

HighElf9310
Oct 9, 2003, 02:55 PM
I really don't tend to to anything like that at all. I play a mission like I would play the board if there wasn't a mission. I do the exact same things that you do, like the start button and R+Y, but there isn't really anything else you can do to get through it easier. I sometimes get my computer in view and use the maps off of this site....that is about all that I could possibly think of...

Surge_21xx
Oct 9, 2003, 03:03 PM
Being a hunter I have the normal attack on my main button (GC A) and on either side are my mate and fluid (Mono Di Tri . . .) I figure If I got them I might as well use them. and my second set (holding R) I have Razonde, Gibarta, and resta (for deep multiplaying pourposes) and I also like to switch between my gun and blade weapons (hence the quick action menu)

vegeta000110
Oct 9, 2003, 03:39 PM
Obviously the start button for trap avoid (except in ult.).

I use R+Y for items and sometimes techs.

My configs are the following (CURRENTLY):
Fo:
X: Grants
A: Special Attack (Bear's Cane)
B: Foie
R+X: Zonde
R+A: Resta
R+B: Barta

Hu:
X: Hard Attack
A: Normal Attack
B: Resta
R+X: Jellen
R+A: Difluid
R+B: Zalure

Ra:
X: Hard Attack
B: Monomate
R+X: confuse trap
R+A: fire trap
R+B: freeze trap

lain2k3
Oct 9, 2003, 04:39 PM
On 2003-10-09 13:03, Surge_21xx wrote:
Being a hunter I have the normal attack on my main button (GC A) and on either side are my mate and fluid (Mono Di Tri . . .) I figure If I got them I might as well use them. and my second set (holding R) I have Razonde, Gibarta, and resta (for deep multiplaying pourposes) and I also like to switch between my gun and blade weapons (hence the quick action menu)

.............you....you dont use hard attacks...???

Delsaber
Oct 9, 2003, 05:35 PM
HUs:
B: Hard Attack
X: Special/Resta
R-B: Foie/Zonde/Barta/Jellan
R-A: Zalure/Di(tri)mate
R-X: Fluids

FOmar:
X: Special/Resta
R-B: Some Tech
R-A: Some Tech
R-X: Fluids

RAmar:

X: Special
R-B: Shifta
R-A: Fluids
R-X: Resta

Surge_21xx
Oct 9, 2003, 05:53 PM
to: Lain2k3

No I dont use Heavy attack because I try to be balanced when it comes to my use of weapons. My Friend Nail uses Heavy Attacks a lot and he rarely uses magic.

-benjamin-
Oct 9, 2003, 06:13 PM
are you new to the game may i ask?

hard attacks are kind of needed in any class other than newm, fonewearl, because they all use weapons (FOmar/l may not need them as much but mine use them)

i have all 12 chars (some not mine but i could use them)

normal set up:

b: hard attack
a: normal attack
x: resta/mate

r+b: a spell that hits all if hunter or ranger/freeze trap/random spell for force (normally gifoie =) )
r+a: extra attack/random spell (some sort of barta)
r+x moon atomiser/fluid if force

thats it really, i always have my r+y menu so that any class cept ranger/newm has a handgun 2nd and a dmg weapon 1st, maybe a hit all 3rd (partisan/sword)/ for rangers i have a shot 2nd and a dmg weapon 1st

but i deffinately recomend using hard attacks, spells will only be a gimic to most classes like humar/ramar (dont flame me if u r those classes and use them, i appologise to u, but u must admit weapons do more =) ) i also use extra attacks a lot

Surge_21xx
Oct 9, 2003, 06:37 PM
No I am not New to the game. In fact I have Been playing PSO since the days of the DC (Dreamcast) I just always defeat an enemy either with magic or within the 2-3 hit combinations. If I require a 4th hit on the enemy, so be it. My other friend Archangel also uses Y (on the GC) in single offline mode to get away from and run past enemies/mines (traps).

Surge_21xx
Oct 9, 2003, 06:43 PM
I will Agree -benjamin- that Weapons do do a hell of a lot more damage, you also must consider that there are a lot of factors in making your hunter a fair or good magic user such as your mag and any materials or ad-slots you may use. I try to incorporate as much as possible to make my characters balanced (maybe not so much in power with a force, but I try)

I dont get offended to easily I thank all of you for the replies so far, I like how this discussion is going so far

Alteisen
Oct 9, 2003, 06:47 PM
I have mine set like this, starting with the A button:

Alkaiser (HUnewearl)

A: Attack
X: Strong Attack
B: Extra Attack

R+A: Resta
R+X: Anti
R+B: Jellen

R+Y weapons for her are often set so I break out either my Blizzard Raygun / Thunder Vulcans or my Chainsaw (hence, the need for the Extra Attack). For techs, I have Shift and Deband up top, and Jellen, Zalure, Ryuker, and Resta at the bottom in the rare cases where I have a PB set.

B Judecca, my FOmar, replaces R+X with Zalure, and R+A with a random tech. I gave him a Double Saber to leech TP back every now and then, which keeps my fluid stock pretty much untouched. I don't really use any other weapons with him, due to his tech strength.

M-1 Astray and Excellen, my RAcast and HUcaseal respectively, both use the same layout:

R+A: Mate / Star (for the rare times when I'm out of mates)
R+X: Confuse trap
R+B: Freeze trap

Come to think of it, I use the same "default" action palette for all my characters.

Nai_Calus
Oct 9, 2003, 07:03 PM
I use the Z button to bring up the menu for running through hallways. >P And of course I use the R+Y menus.

HUmar:

A: Normal attack
X: Heavy attack
R+A: Jellen
R+X: Zalure
R+B: Difluid

I always bring a saber of some sort, a double saber of some sort, a handgun of some sort and a partisan of some sort with my HUmars. Covers most bases. Sometimes I'll bring Mechs with Hit %, like if I'm doing Ult Mines.

FOmar:

Melee: See HUmar
Techs, offensive:

A: Gifoie
X: Barta
R+A: Normal attack
R+X: Gizonde(Replaced with Zonde for Caves)
Techs R+Y Menu: Grants, Foie, Rabarta sorted to top, Anti, Shifta, Deband, Ryuker sorted to bottom.

Support:

A: Jellen
X: Zalure
R+A: Anti
R+X: Reverser
S/D are handled with R+Y tech menu, as they don't wear off horribly fast and FOmars have disgusting range on them anyways.

FOnewearl: See FOmar, Techs, Offensive, and replace anything that's a Gi or Ra tech with the appropriate Simple tech.

FOnewm: Ditto, but replace everything but Gizonde with the Hard attack.

RAmar:

A: Heavy attack
X: Special attack
R+A: Shifta
R+X: Deband

Mumfizle
Oct 10, 2003, 01:42 AM
FOnewm
Rabarta Razande Rafoi
Jellen Resta Zalure

Fomar
Weak Hard special
Jellen Resta Zalure

Hucaseal
weak hard special
TRAPS

When playing my Force characters there is so much to think about that my fingers never stop moving. It gets really crazy when I have my Photon blast and I have to do everything from the Y menu. I still do shifta and deband from the start menu however because I always did it that way on the Dreamcast.

CrimsonII2
Oct 10, 2003, 03:49 AM
well I normally use R+Y for traps and such, and I use it on a regular basis for quick item use/ weapon changing/ tech using, and for my buttons:

Humar:
x: special attack
r+b some sorta tech that hits all, normally rafoie
r+a resta
R+X normally rabarta (good if your in a mess)
ramarl should be the same

racaseal:
x: special attack
R+B monomate
R+A dimate
R+X telepipe (only because I find I need em kinda often to get more mates)

fonewearl:
b:zonde
a:foie
x:barta
(currently for the r+)
R+B: jellen (or I normally have it as gizonde)
R+A: resta
R+X: zalure (or normally on rafoie)
(allthough I change the two r+b and r+x quite a bit, been leaving them with j/z recently though, makes for good support)
and I'm surprised that you don't use hard attacks, are you using a humar with this? or something else, like hunewearl? (and I'm surprised you only use normal attacks, unless your a really high level character, and you don't need the hard attack, allthough I imagine you go through a good deal of meseta to support your force-like ways lol)

AngelAlys
Oct 10, 2003, 06:55 AM
Great little post this... I base my set up on who Im playing with. I currently play a lot of games with jeff who is a HU, I am a FO. We are constantly doing IS to search for a Red Sword for him. Because of the power of his attacks, I play a support role when we're fighting side by side, and an agreesive Tech role when we have to split. My set up for IS is

Jellen
Zalure
Resta

Gifoie
Gizonde
Gibarta/Rabarta

S & D are on the R trigger Y, quick menu http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Surge_21xx
Oct 10, 2003, 02:55 PM
Whether I'm level 1 or 100 I use normal attacks b/c Thats just the way I am, with all types of hunters. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif)

Olga-Rappy
Oct 10, 2003, 03:57 PM
My config?

A - Normal Attack
B - Heavy (RAmarl) or Extra (FOnewm)
X - Shifta (RAmarl) or Grants (Guess...)

R+A - Rafoie
R+B - Rabarta
R+X - Razonde

Kent
Oct 10, 2003, 06:33 PM
On 2003-10-10 12:55, Surge_21xx wrote:
Whether I'm level 1 or 100 I use normal attacks b/c Thats just the way I am, with all types of hunters. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif)

...Do you not realize what you're doing to your strategic capabilities? Your different attacks can give you tactical advantages over your enemies, not to mention more damage over a shorter period of time for stationary enemies.

That has got to be the worst self-nerfing technique ever, especially since you can use the quick technique menu to very quickly set up technique usage, putting your most-used technique at the top and bottom of the list, for easy access. You can't do that with attacks, though.

SubstanceD
Oct 10, 2003, 06:48 PM
Curently the only character that I am playing is Hunewearl named Destiny ( all other characters are tempoary retirement due to either boredom or frustration - dammit how many Ultimate Caves runs do I have to do before destruction gets her Red Sword + Chain Sawd ). She just got to lv. 22 today.

Her controll set up is:

B - Normal Attack
A - Hard Attack
X - Special Attack/Shifta/GiZonde

R+B - Monomate
R+A - Anti/Dimate
R+X - Resta/Trimate

She is tweaked in that I gave her Destruction's old Sato Mag ( she is also suposed to be breeding several new Rati Mags for all my other characters but I kind of got side tracked and started playing with her instead of letting her do her damn job ) and some stuff. Up untill recently she had been running around using a Masters Gladius but thamks to 2 Orgre Powers she can now equip a Flowen Sword.

To be honest I have no particular strategy with her. I am soo used to using Androids that I find her inability to see traps a real pain in the ass, to compensate I usually open up the menu while on the move or I just hold down the R button which is just as effective ( and easier to do ) for running past traps without slowing down. Other than that my tactics are very much hack and slash, kill them before they can kill me.

Surge_21xx
Oct 10, 2003, 06:52 PM
I dont mean to offend. . . this is not my intention at all,

but do you realize that the two normal attacks is the same time and ammount of hits as a strong attack. I have fought with my friend who loves strong attacks and (keep in mind were the same level) I block all of his strong attacks and since it takes longer to perform a strong attack I easily countered him with a normal attack. so my method is fast and yet simple.

If you do not agree, that is fine. again I dont mean to offend, and dont want this disscussion to get out of hand. as for everyone else I thank you for your opinions and posting how you config your button settings, I have tried them recently and have been thinking of changing some of my configurations based on the class I am using. I hope you do the same and keep posting this is going really well.

Surge_21xx
Oct 10, 2003, 06:56 PM
I do thank you personally for your opinions Kent

Hrith
Oct 11, 2003, 09:47 AM
NGC

I reverse L & R.

Terra :
A : Attack
B : Hard
X : Special
L+A : Resta
L+B : Zalure
L+X : Jellen

Shifta and Deband are on the bottom of my shortcut window, Anti on the top. I use L+Y a lot especially to change from 1-lock powerful weapons (GOD HAND...) to multi-lock less powerful one (RAINBOW BATON, SPREAD NEEDLE...).

Kefka :
A : Attack
B : Hard
X : Special
L+A : Fire Trap
L+B : Freeze Trap
L+X : Confuse Trap

Again, I use L+Y a lot and at amazing speed.

Hedoba :
A : Zonde
B : Foie
X : Barta
L+A : Razonde/Grants in Temple
L+B : Rafoie
L+X : Rabarta/Megid in Temple & Seabed

Shifta and Deband are on the bottom of my shortcut window, Anti and Resta on the top. I never carry more than a weapon with her.

I use Y (soft keyboard) to run past traps. I disarm the ones in CCA and Seabed, though, since you cannot run beneath them http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

I use my HUcast's HP regeneration a lot.

I use SHIELD OF DELSABER/LIGHT RELIEF in Cave and Temple.
Terra uses SACRED CLOTH in Ruins, SENSE PLATE in CCA & Seabed.

Kefka uses many Gush weapons to palliate his lack of Resta : CHAIN SAWD, SANGE & YASHA, SANGE, my PLASMA GUN, my SUPER MECHGUN.
My ILLUSION SWORD has Jellen on it so I can breeze through Seabed without receiving any significant damage.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

opaopajr
Oct 12, 2003, 01:49 AM
though normal is fast and can cut short an animation in a battle arena of other characters, heavy is far better. it does something normal cannot do, stagger/knockback.

most enemies in the game keep following through with their animation through a normal attack. but heavy staggers them, thus resetting animation and giving you distance (besides dealing more damage).

i use a lot of forces and the only reason i would use normal is due to speed and ATA issues in the early part of your character's levels. but after a certain point there's no reason in my mind to use normal. (unless your special is unreliable =D)

if you have the ATA to hit each time and you are going to even bother taking up a hotkey slot away from magic it has to be for a reason and stagger in my mind is the reason. if you can deal heavier damage kudos, but that stagger is a lifesaver. Forces are notoriously slow in their battle animation so I know the temptation about using normal. but i soon disabused myself from that notion. it was just wasting time. i solo a lot, so i do not develop tactics heavily dependent on my team; i should be able to take on the room by myself, the team just makes it faster. besides sometimes they can't help you, then you have to rely on yourself. if you set up your hotkeys in a non-fortuitous manner it makes life difficult.

but if you are role-playing a character, or set up a general jack-of-all-trades mag, have negligible ATA, or no "speed"/battle units i can understand.

Surge_21xx
Oct 12, 2003, 02:49 AM
I know most of you find it odd or hard to believe (sorry if that is the wrong impression) that I only use normal attacks with a hunter and not hard. although, opaopajr, you do make a good point, and my friend Nail does conccur with your statement, my only point was that I have never needed a hard attack in my time playing pso unless i am playing a difficultly that is beyond my levels capabilities. If someone choses to play with normal and hard attack combos, thats fine, and if some prefer the all hard attack combo, that is also ok. this is proving to be a very good and calm post and I once again have to thank you for your opinions and sharing your button configs/strategies. keep them coming! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ranger_Larry
Oct 12, 2003, 06:54 AM
Why do all these people have shifta/deband on their shortcuts? Even at level 15 it lasts long enough that you rarely need to recast in the heat of battle, and even then just use the R/Y button shortcut thingy. I always recast just before each "hot spot", that way I don't run out in the middle of battle.

opaopajr
Oct 13, 2003, 08:46 PM
i wouldn't use s/d on shortcuts, even as a support force. you are right it lasts so long that to let it sit there taking up a hotkey slot is just a crime of inefficiency.

the only group i would understand that in would be RAmar/HUmar because they need defense and power desperately, most of their battle magic is not really worth the expense, and they usually get the techs late and they disappear quickly when they are that low.

but even then i usually only hotkey shifta because i should know how to evade or run away when things get heavy. only boss battles will i use shifta + jellen/zalure hotkeyed because i just don't have the time in those.

fascinating how others play.

NailtheBlade
Oct 13, 2003, 11:54 PM
I too agree with Ranger_Larry although, opaopajr, I am puzzled why you would say Rangers and Hunters would use shifta/deband? If anything Forces need power (attack) and defense more than the other two groups. as you probably know the Humar is the most balanced character initially. but anyway, like the original post I dont see the need for it (at least on my characters).

But that is just my view.

Spider
Oct 14, 2003, 06:35 AM
I only realy mastered the HUmar and this is how I use the muffin.

B) hard attack
A) normal attack
X) special attack

R+

B) Zailure
A) Resta
X) Jellen

Before I hit ultimate and for bosses I have the R+ as

B) anti or magic attack or Sol At
A) Resta
X) Difluid

Only use the R+Y for weapon changing, nothing else