PDA

View Full Version : I am sorry, but how do you get a hub to work with GC

lnwlfx44
Oct 9, 2003, 04:02 PM
I have comcast high-speed internet, which has a cable modem. I also have a broadband adapter and have everything set-up right(at least i think so). Internet Connection sharing is enabled. The hub is from Netgear and the model is EN104TP (the TP in the place where exponents would go.

The problem is when i try to go to the browser, it tells me "requested URL could not be retrieved". Can any of you give me instructions from the start. It would be much appreciated.

MeatWagon
Oct 9, 2003, 05:38 PM
I am going to need a little more information.How are you sharing your cable modem IP address(DHCPRouter)??

lnwlfx44
Oct 9, 2003, 05:40 PM
i dont have a router so i guess dhcp

lnwlfx44
Oct 9, 2003, 05:41 PM
my netgear hub has 4 places for eternet cables. Does that count as a router

lnwlfx44
Oct 9, 2003, 07:02 PM
bump

VioletSkye
Oct 9, 2003, 09:24 PM
I used the same thing at first, a Netgear hub. I ran a Cat5 cable from the modem (is it the RCA modem?) to Port 1, then I ran another cat5 cable from the GC to port 2. You should be able to connect right off the bat (use obtain IP automatically in the Network settings.) If you receive error 102 let me know, I can help you fix that. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

BTW, you won't be using Internet Connection sharing, So unless you are networking something else, go ahead and turn that off.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2003-10-09 19:25 ]</font>

MeatWagon
Oct 10, 2003, 09:01 AM
I have Comcast cable modem service in New Jersey. The reason why I asked about your Ip sharing was because in my area Comcast only allows 1 Ip address. I can't hook a hub to my cable modem and obtain a second address . To solve this issue I went out and purchased a Linksys routerhuddhcp Model: BEFSR41 . Begin in the computer field for the last 10 years this probably the easiest and idiot proof method that I have found. Another good product is Network Everywhere routerhubDhcp Model: NR041.

lnwlfx44
Oct 10, 2003, 02:17 PM
will cat6's work

VioletSkye
Oct 10, 2003, 02:48 PM
On 2003-10-10 07:01, MeatWagon wrote:
I have Comcast cable modem service in New Jersey. The reason why I asked about your Ip sharing was because in my area Comcast only allows 1 Ip address. I can't hook a hub to my cable modem and obtain a second address . To solve this issue I went out and purchased a Linksys routerhuddhcp Model: BEFSR41 . Begin in the computer field for the last 10 years this probably the easiest and idiot proof method that I have found. Another good product is Network Everywhere routerhubDhcp Model: NR041.

I have comcast also and when I used the Hub, I simply changed my network settings for my memory card, so that the IP address was 1 digit off on the last set of numbers. I used the same dns and gateway. So for instance if your main IP is 64.xx.xx.15, you can manually set the Network settings for the memory card to be 64.xx.xx.14. That should allow you to connect just fine http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif