PDA

View Full Version : Does any1 care about the storyline?

Brex546
Oct 9, 2003, 05:30 PM
Well, I know I don't. All I want to do is get rares and beat monters until they run home to their mommies faster then a hobo on a ham sandwich!

BatistaROBO
Oct 9, 2003, 05:38 PM
I care about the storyline. Everyone says the story sucks but if you actually pay attention to it its pretty well put together in my opinion. Of course this probably jsut casue im offline only (for now)! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Uncle_bob
Oct 9, 2003, 05:44 PM
As said above, PSO does have a pretty damn good story line if you put the pieces together...

chantez131313
Oct 9, 2003, 05:44 PM
Nope.

s.TiNgEr
Oct 9, 2003, 05:52 PM
I never really payed attention to the storyline

Nai_Calus
Oct 9, 2003, 07:29 PM
Eh, it actually has a halfway decent story if you bitchslap everything together and look at it. And of course some of the NPCs are pretty cool and get some good development(Like Elly and Calus, or Elenor and Montague)... *shrug* Not exactly the best plot overall that anyone ever came up with, but it's got it's charm.

GuerillaPimp
Oct 9, 2003, 07:34 PM
there's a story??? If ST made more of an effort to incorporate the story in Offline as far as with the NPC's, maybe id play offline more often.

WootHinkInc
Oct 9, 2003, 08:07 PM
An online story really wouldn't matter. But the offline one is pretty nice. I loved Episode 2 offline.

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 10, 2003, 01:20 AM
The story is actually quite involving, if you pay attention to it. It's loaded with conspiracies, vengence, and a whole host of other twists and turns... Of course, the real fun lies in trying to figure out how it all ties back to the original four games.

Spider
Oct 10, 2003, 04:27 AM
The story is pretty mad, takes a while to unravel, and the best NPC would have to be old Bernie http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Armok
Oct 10, 2003, 06:14 AM
Bernie Dies in Seek my Master u see him dead on the floor. Wats bernies involvement. Who cares though i voted NO

Coxy
Oct 10, 2003, 08:23 AM
On 2003-10-09 23:20, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
The story is actually quite involving, if you pay attention to it. It's loaded with conspiracies, vengence, and a whole host of other twists and turns... Of course, the real fun lies in trying to figure out how it all ties back to the original four games.

if it does at all, there are influences from the original games but sega has maintained that this is a completly new game with no ties

Cloak
Oct 10, 2003, 09:23 AM
No!

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 10, 2003, 11:03 AM
On 2003-10-10 06:23, Coxy wrote:

if it does at all, there are influences from the original games but sega has maintained that this is a completly new game with no ties

When have they ever said that? The only interview I've seen that brings up the subject had Yuji Naka claiming that it does exist in the same universe as previous Phantasy Star games.

Servbot41
Oct 10, 2003, 11:24 AM
Of course the story matters! its a little confusing at times but it works

Coxy
Oct 10, 2003, 11:50 AM
On 2003-10-10 09:03, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

On 2003-10-10 06:23, Coxy wrote:

When have they ever said that? The only interview I've seen that brings up the subject had Yuji Naka claiming that it does exist in the same universe as previous Phantasy Star games.

talk to sinue

Butoden
Oct 10, 2003, 12:31 PM
Story was good the first time. I just wish there was an `ending´. Because when you talk to Principal after beating Falz for instance, they're still in the progress of thinking what can be there and stuff http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif They should change that.
And the story was nice the first time, but the 2nd time I rushed trough it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

navci
Oct 10, 2003, 01:14 PM
The story is really nice once you piece them back together. You do need to play all the offline quests and pick out the information you need. Most likely need to do Seat of the Heart, and go through the Sue route to really get a sense of what is the conspiracy behind. When you do that it is a rich story, provided they already have all the nice background information from the PS series.... I think it is cool. =}

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 10, 2003, 02:15 PM
On 2003-10-10 10:31, Butoden wrote:
Story was good the first time. I just wish there was an `ending?. Because when you talk to Principal after beating Falz for instance, they're still in the progress of thinking what can be there and stuff http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif They should change that.
And the story was nice the first time, but the 2nd time I rushed trough it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

What really would've been nice, is if they'd put more time and thought into making quests-- The game would have tons more replay value if each difficulty had different quests. Honestly... Battle Training in Ultimate mode just seems TOTALLY out of place.

Of course, I've also had the thought that it would be interesting if each section ID had different quests, too. There'd be a HUGE amount of replay value, and the overall storyline would be incredibly rich with detail, rather than being somewhat obscured behind the action, the way it currently is.
Still though, if a choice had to be made between one and the other, I think that different quests in eachc difficulty would be of preference. What really needs to be done, is just a game about the Hunters' Guild. No government involvement, just a game about the Hunters' Guild on Motavia, at some point shortly before Phantasy Star 4. I think that would be the best possibility for the next PSO game.

Saigan
Oct 10, 2003, 04:19 PM
Anybody else notice how much Algol sounds like Ragol? And even more suspicious, if it were spoken in japanese we would have algol and lagol. I'm curious if maybe the Ragol we know now used to be one of the old planets from the master system and genesis titles. Maybe a few millenia after their civilitazion was destroyed. It explains the mines and the ruins, it especially explains Dark Falz and some rare weapons like Nei's Claw.

Anyone got a comment?

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 10, 2003, 04:27 PM
I've thought about that, but it still doesn't explain the presence of Newmans or the Hunters' Guild. Plus, it doesn't seem to be the Palman culture migrating to Palma, because, assuming the same culture would be using the same dating scheme, 3084 would be 800 years after PS4...

SubstanceD
Oct 10, 2003, 05:43 PM
Sort of. PSO does have a decent overall story but to this date I am still a little pissed that both Episode 1 and Episode 2 end with little or no closure. Hopefully PSO Episode 3 story will bring some much needed closure to the PSO Ragol story.

Kent
Oct 10, 2003, 06:19 PM
To me, an RPG's storyline and gameplay are all that matter, no matter the type of RPG.

_Sinue_
Oct 11, 2003, 07:42 AM
Meira, they're right. Yuji Naka said in an Interview with Famitsu Magazine back when v.1 launched that PSO has no storyline connections to the previous Phantasy Star titles. All references added in are just to appease the long time fans. They're just little nostalgia things.. like the Rika Claw looking nothing like the claw Rika uses in the game.. but identical to the claw Fal uses in the Japaneese Phantasy Star IV commercial - and the picture of Rika inside the PS IV manual.

With that said, however, I don't think that's all there is to it. Phantasy Star Online was probably originally intended to be a part of the PS storyline as a Gaiden (sidestory) game. There was artwork drawn up early on for a Shuren (Wren) character to appear in the game.. but that was later scrapped. The game has many ties to the original series.. and if one looks hard enough.. you can see where the storyline between past PS's and PSO can conjeil into one solid storyline.

The references are there.. and it's up to the fans to play connect-the-dots to figure out how they help PSO fit into place with the rest of the series.

Garm
Oct 11, 2003, 07:58 AM
ofcourse the story cares and i readed all the messages from rico in the forest checked every charcter on p2 but when i entered the caves i didn't care anymore. maby if they added movies and different endings, variations, missions getting an npc always follow you as a friend (ff8,9,10 and golden sun style) and such i would pay more attention to the story.

labratpat
Oct 11, 2003, 04:16 PM
I guess I kinda care about the story, just because every game needs SOMETHING to bind it together. I mean, if I was simply killing monsters for no apparent reason, it would'n't feel the same as when it has a purpose... oh, wait. Gauntlet has no story, but that's still fun...