PDA

View Full Version : RE: Storyline similarities with an old TV series

M_BlackHawk
Oct 13, 2003, 09:42 AM
You'll have to excuse the almost pointless sound of this post as a person who's really feeling his age today.

I was watching the Sci-fi channel today, and they're showing a marathon of the old TV series, Battlestar Galactica. Watching a few episodes of this got me thinking about the similarities between the storyline of Galactica, and PSO.

Similarity 1:
Homewords destroyed. In "Galactica" the human's homeworlds were destroyed by the Cylons, a robotic race, controlled by 1 "Imperious leader"

in PSO, it's never explored why Coral was on the brink of destruction, but it does lead to some speculation and quite a few ideas to explore, maybe in fanfics.

Similarity 2:
1 Huge mothership: The Galactica in "Battlestar", and Pioneer 2 in PSO.

Similarity 3:
1 group who protects the people of this fleet. In "Battlestar", it's the colonial warriors (starfighter pilots who take on the Cylons), in PSO: The Hunter's Guild.

Similarity 4:
Both fleets are looking for a new homeworld. in "Battlestar", the fleet's headed to Earth. In PSO, Pioneer 2 is orbiting Ragol, which could potentially be a new homeworld to thier people.

As I said, I'm really feeling my age here. I grew up watching "Battlestar Galactica", and "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century", and this marathon is really a trip down memory Lane. It also showed me a similarity between this classic TV series and PSO.

later

M_BlackHawk

Coxy
Oct 13, 2003, 10:10 AM
I could have sworn the were leaving Coral because they had used up all the natural resources and the planet was dying

rena-ko
Oct 13, 2003, 10:24 AM
*laughs* if you have too much, give me some of your free time, will you?

Scejntjynahl
Oct 13, 2003, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I used to watch Battlestar Galactica also, so don't feel bad. Yes there are similarities, but then again most games have repeating themes, just different environments and characters. It is really difficult to create a 100% original game that has not been influenced by some already existing game (story, or whatever).

M_BlackHawk
Oct 13, 2003, 10:53 AM
Funny, rena. very funny.

now I'm regretting having turned on my tv this morning.

and yes, I'll admit it. I am NOT of the age bracket of most users on PSOW, and have been a sci-fi fan for most of my years (at least the ones I can remember.) Watching that marathon today is somewhat a blast from the past. And, no, I don't have too much free time today, but most of what I have to do is simple tasks which won't take too long for me to finish.

later

M_BlackHawk

rena-ko
Oct 13, 2003, 10:59 AM
aww, come on, i was just joking...

you should have known that when you post something like this you sound like a geeky little teenager that hasnt yet realized that the therm "something revolutionarily new" is as nonexistant and virtual these days as, for example, "love" (with that i mean i dont believe in love, its just hormon bombing causing an urge/feeling to mate imho).

and i wanted to say that i wish i would be still a teenager quite often these days...
ah.. the free time *dreams off*

edit: typo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2003-10-13 09:00 ]</font>