PDA

View Full Version : What Cable?

Dbzmarc
Oct 14, 2003, 08:31 AM
Sorry about posting it here but no one seems to check in tech support very often. OK, I have a pc downstairs connected to a router via ethernet cable in a LAN slot. There is another free LAN slot which i want to use to connect to my Gamecube upstairs. Could someone please give me a link to a picture or information on the exact cable i need please, im looking for a 25-30m one so it goes all the way upstairs. Thanks for your time.

rena-ko
Oct 14, 2003, 08:56 AM
well...

http://www.linuxtv.org/mailinglists/vdr/2003/04-2003/msg00124.html

according to this page, you'd need a network (LAN) cable... those are named CAT 5(e) / patchcable. for longer connections (and when you need to connect two cables together via connector or switch) you should use twisted pair.

actually you should go into a local electronic-store and get yourself informed on that.

first, try to connect with your cube through your pc via networksharing with a normal cable... 1m or something. if you get online you can rule out any other issues.

so far so good. now get to any store, get yourself the solution that should work and if it doesnt (there are cables with up to 40 meters length but the length may cause dataloss / bad connection) you should always be able to get your money back (since its hardware and not copyable...).

i researched a little bit and 30m twisted pair cost around 25-30 euro, depends on where you're buying that.

(ack i hate it! why do you use your feet to measure something, how medieval...)

good luck

edit: formating & adding a price

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2003-10-14 07:09 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 14, 2003, 11:12 AM
Actually, a twisted pair is used when linking two computers directly to eachother, with nothing inbetween. When using a hub (most home LANs use some sort of hub), a standard ethernet cable is what you want. Albeit, if all cables used are twisted (and that's a figure of speach, mind you-- it's not literally twisted, it's just got a couple pairs of wires switched at one end), then that'll work, too. Furthermore, if you have all but one of your cables in one format (either twisted or straight), then you can plug the different one into a special port on the hub, which will change the order it read the wires (this port is actually there so that two hubs can be plugged into eachother).

There are several names for the wire, because no one can agree on what they're called. The twisted pair is also refered to as a crossover cable (I might note that the cable Microsoft puts out so that people can connect their XBoxes together is a very nice crossover cable, though perhaps a little overpriced). Then there's the standard cable, also refered to as a patch cable (though a patch cable is usually thought of as being a very short cable).
These cables can be up to 100 feet in length (urg... I suppose that's roughly 60 meters) without any significant packet loss (in other words, a 30 meter cable should be fine).

For the record, the end of a Category 5 cable looks like a really fat phone plug. The difference is that it has 8 pins instead of 4.

Dbzmarc
Oct 14, 2003, 01:22 PM
OK, so my cable modem is connected to the WAN slot on my router, could i use this cable ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3051690178&category=176 ) to go from my LAN slot in the router to my gamecube?

Rich_T
Oct 14, 2003, 02:42 PM
yes that should work fine

Dbzmarc
Oct 15, 2003, 05:35 AM
Would i have to enable internet connection sharing? cause i dont have windows 98 SE or XP on that computer.