PDA

View Full Version : Best Releases of 2003

HotWaterDeath
Oct 20, 2003, 08:59 AM
I know I could be jumping the gun a bit here but I have this undying urge to know everybodies favorite CD releases of 2003. So pull up a chair and toss in your input...I'll start with my own list.

*Rx Bandits - "The Resignation"
Holy friejoles! Say you took the soulful voice of the late great Bradley Nowell (Sublime singer, just for those of you who don't get out much) and tossed in some off-beat Fugazi/Bluetip chord structure, a blast of brass instruments, and a hint of synth...then ABRA KADABRA! lay all of this insanity down on a compact disc, you'd have the new Rx Bandits release (In a nut shell). Beautiful.

*Street Dogs - "Savin Hill"
Good old Mikey M. (Of the earlier incarnation of the Dropkick Murphys, which in my humble opinion, whipped the heebeejeebees out of the newer Murphys line-up) decided to grace the world with yet another three-chord wonder band, straight off the murky streets of Boston. The result? Wonderful sing-alongs reminiscent of the DK Murphys of old, and some nice ditties that'll have you (or me) singing for months to come.

*Mars Volta - "Deloused in...."
These guys are just insane! Shoot, when you take some gentlemen from one of the greatest bands in the world (At The Drive-In) I guess its the least you could expect. I don't care what you listen to, just buy this bloody record!

*Death By Stereo - "Into the Valley of Death"
This record shreds some serious suburban ear drums. A masterful chaotic blend of hardcore, metal, and a hint of three-chord rockage (or punk rock if you will). If you're into some System of A Down you should check these guys out ( Some chaps told me Efrem sounds like Serj, I still fail to see, "hear" the resemblence).

*With Honor - "S/T" ep
Some GOOD positive hardcore for a change! Who cares if they're on a label owned by a crappy band like Hatebreed (At least that's one thing those chaps did right)these gentlemen can whip out some nice old-school with a mix of melody. Be something more...

*Strike Anywhere - "Exit English"
Granted this record isn't quite on the level of their earlier releases, it still packs a sonic wallop and the sweet, sweet Richmond melody. The record can be a bit pretentious at times, but all in all...solid.

DISSAPPOINTMENTS

The new Bouncing Souls, Pennywise, and freaking AFI records!! "Sing the Sorrow" sounded like an overproduced wannabe Cure record. Davey needs to don the chelsea cut and start making some decent music again (Okay that was a tad harsh. The new record wasn't that BAD. But it was a huge dissappointment).

The Sweetness..

The Descendents are popping out a new record in 2004! It'll probably be the only release on Fat Wreckchords that I'll buy this coming year.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HotWaterDeath on 2003-10-20 07:03 ]</font>

PontiusR
Oct 20, 2003, 01:29 PM
This year wasn't too good in my opinion...my favorite was 13th step by A Perfect Circle I guess, but that album isn't that great. Oh yeah and A Lethal Dose of American Hatred by SuperJoint Ritual. Next year should be great with supposedly a new Tool album, a System of a Down album, and maybe the long-awaited Tapeworm album (which features members from Nine Inch Nails, Pantera, Tool etc.). Of course NIN and Tool are notorious for having 5 year breaks between albums so I'm not holding my breath.

klepto
Oct 21, 2003, 06:51 PM
The new Pennywise CD was a disappointment. The last CD was excellent, Im sorry to hear the new one sucks. And hell yes to the Descendents, gotta love california.

Intimidacius
Oct 21, 2003, 09:41 PM
How about "Now That's What I Call Music: 26"? That really stunk up an apple tree. The best release would have to be that CD Intimidacius constructed out of cardboard. At least you won't be disappointed when you listen to it.

Oh, by the way. Death By Stereo is really starting to stink down an orange tree, if you catch the drift. It is like they can't make music, only propaganda. Death By Stupidity ranks up there with pop music, only worse because they have talent and they don't use it. Just look at all the "deep" lyrics. Deep. Wow, like Intimidacius couldn't have payed a 12-yr-old to come up with those.

If there was a bucket of CD's and you could only burn 12, which would they be?

Richard
Oct 21, 2003, 10:24 PM
September 18th, 2003 - beatmania IIDX 9th style Original Soundtrack

Best. CD. Ever.

HotWaterDeath
Oct 22, 2003, 09:12 AM
On 2003-10-21 19:41, Intimidacius wrote:
How about "Now That's What I Call Music: 26"? That really stunk up an apple tree. The best release would have to be that CD Intimidacius constructed out of cardboard. At least you won't be disappointed when you listen to it.

Oh, by the way. Death By Stereo is really starting to stink down an orange tree, if you catch the drift. It is like they can't make music, only propaganda. Death By Stupidity ranks up there with pop music, only worse because they have talent and they don't use it. Just look at all the "deep" lyrics. Deep. Wow, like Intimidacius couldn't have payed a 12-yr-old to come up with those.

If there was a bucket of CD's and you could only burn 12, which would they be?

For once, I agree with this loser. Efrem's rantings amount to the drivel of a thirteen year old kid atteneding a public school and under the impression that he/she is an "anarchist". But then again they had that anti-Warped Tour song.....can't go wrong with that. Bottom line: Who listens to Death By Stereo's lyrics anyways? He can spout off all he wants to about his "wasted words", but there's a bloody reason next to nobody cares about his lyrics.

As for the Pennywise record, I'm sure it'll sound great live. Perhaps it'll rub off a bit like the Sick of It All syndrome where a band makes decent records but explodes on stage. Here's hoping. I hear the Descendents will tour in support of their new record!! Heads will roll.

As for the "Now! that's what I call GARBAGE Vol. 2,387", I'm suprised those compilations are still profitable. Well than again crappy radio stations that appeal to middle-aged ladies and gents will always be popular I guess...they just gotta get some of that "Nelly's: Christmas in Indonesia" blasting in their ear drums. They'll probably be filling landfills from here to Timbuktu within a month or two. Screw strip mining, animal production, and oil drilling.....Now! music compilations are destroying our Earth!! Say "NO!" today.