PDA

View Full Version : Do you like good music?

F-a-l-g-r-a-n
Oct 20, 2003, 11:55 PM
Check out this band.
http://www.mp3.com/coheedandcambria

Guile
Oct 21, 2003, 02:08 AM
They are ok, lead singers voice sounds way to much like a girl. Thought he was for like 5 songs when I first heard one of their CDs.

HotWaterDeath
Oct 21, 2003, 07:37 AM
Claudio Sanchez (Coheed) has a stage hand applying the two-handed crotch rocket between his legs at all times. He believes it keeps up his wonderous "female" vocal range.

I still thought it was pretty amusing that their last record was some big sci-fi role-playing game rolled onto a CD. I bet all those cheeky emo kids were pissed.

If you like these gentlemen you'll probably dig; Samiam, Jimmy Eat World(Anus), The Get Up Kids, Saves the Day, No Motiv, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Taking Back Sunday, Silverstein, Fairweather, Park...I could go on but this list of bands that I despise is really getting under my skin.

Excuse me while I cry a river and cough up blood and bile on my white carpet.

Intimidacius
Oct 21, 2003, 08:57 PM
Yes, yes Intimidacius does like good music. Yes, yes he does enjoy this band. No, no Intimidacius will not give you the music he has composed.

When you wish upon a star, you're really wishing upon a giant burning ball of gas many miles away...

Firocket1690
Oct 21, 2003, 09:20 PM
Yes, I'm is addicted to good music.
But my type of 'good' music might be different from your type of 'good' music.
Oh, and most of my music is techno.
I hate mainstream ... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Captain_Dude
Oct 22, 2003, 12:03 AM
I am very serious about music. If I like it, it becomes one of the most important things in my life. If I hate it, I will be strongly opposed to it.

I enjoy finding those I don't feel are fit to enjoy what I do and make them suffer. I'm an asshole, I dunno... Sure is fun to do it tho.

But as for the band in this post... I prolly hate them. Heh

Dime
Oct 22, 2003, 12:56 AM
No....no.

Spider
Oct 22, 2003, 03:04 AM
I'm with you there Captain_Dude, exept I wont give people shit about what music they like unless they go off at my music first http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

But I do enjoy listenning to new bands and seeing what I think of em, just going to concerts when you know none of the bands and hearing one oyu like is heaps fun!

Must say you should all check out these guys http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=9127 the song thats up isn't there greatest, but its the only one on a webpage that I know of. When Fall My Way is up I shall post it!

Aunt_Betty
Oct 22, 2003, 05:31 PM
Well it depends on what you think is good.

SeanX970
Oct 22, 2003, 05:45 PM
I couldn't listen to prepubecent boys singing like this for more than 10 seconds.

Sorry, Just ain't my thang =P'

Hit me up with some DMB Zepplin or Rane man

Rotis
Oct 22, 2003, 10:04 PM
Hahah, a friend of mine has sent me some mp3s of theirs. Oh man, it's hilarious.

The higher the voice, the higher the entertainment value!

OSL00004
Oct 25, 2003, 07:08 AM
On 2003-10-22 20:04, Rotis wrote:
Hahah, a friend of mine has sent me some mp3s of theirs. Oh man, it's hilarious.

I am not an emo kid. I primarily am not rocking out to Taking Back Sunday. However, I do enjoy emo. It is very powerful music, and many of the bands that my friends have pointed out to me are quite talented and good. Maybe you don't understand it; has being raised in a world where classic rock bullshit is thrown in your face blinded you to what 'talent' is?

Now I don't want to start anything; I am not going to fight to the death over a music structure that I don't even prefer. But I am sorry, I just can't stand people thinking bands like Linkin Park, or any heavy metal band for that case, make music. Screaming is not music. Screaming will never be music.

What music do I listen to? I enjoy ska, which is a perfect blend of reggae and punk rock with half the colesteral of a bowl of Cheerios. Some of my favorite bands are Catch 22, Streetlight Manifesto and Sublime.

If this post never gets read, I'll be fine with it. If this post is bashed and rip to peaces by angry readers, I'll be fine with it. I just thought it should be said.

forgetxmyface
Oct 25, 2003, 02:41 PM
On 2003-10-25 05:08, OSL00004 wrote:

On 2003-10-22 20:04, Rotis wrote:

I am not an emo kid. I primarily am not rocking out to Taking Back Sunday. However, I do enjoy emo. It is very powerful music, and many of the bands that my friends have pointed out to me are quite talented and good. Maybe you don't understand it; has being raised in a world where classic rock bullshit is thrown in your face blinded you to what 'talent' is?

Now I don't want to start anything; I am not going to fight to the death over a music structure that I don't even prefer. But I am sorry, I just can't stand people thinking bands like Linkin Park, or any heavy metal band for that case, make music. Screaming is not music. Screaming will never be music.

What music do I listen to? I enjoy ska, which is a perfect blend of reggae and punk rock with half the colesteral of a bowl of Cheerios. Some of my favorite bands are Catch 22, Streetlight Manifesto and Sublime.

If this post never gets read, I'll be fine with it. If this post is bashed and rip to peaces by angry readers, I'll be fine with it. I just thought it should be said.

You can't sit there and say that screaming isn't music when a lot of ska has screaming in it. Screaming doesn't make it not music, I hate when people say that its not music because all they do is yell and anyone can do that. I'd like to see all the people that say they can do it to actually try. It's extremely hard to scream along with the music.

Me? I'm into hardcore, but I do enjoy a good amount of emo bands, but not many because most of them all sound the same. And to bring this back on-topic, despite the singers voice, C&C put on a great live show.

OSL00004
Oct 25, 2003, 02:48 PM
Been skankin' for about four years. Gone through Reel Big Fish, Five Iron Frenzy, Beehive Trumpet Jumpers... I don't want to go through the list, and you don't want to hear it. I haven't heard a single ska band that screams, why don't you fill me in on that one.

And on another note, I never said I liked all ska. If there is screamin' ska, you can take my word it's not what I'm listening to. Screaming is the worst, man. I can't stand listening to heavy metal. That stuff is crap. Hurts my ears, no one wants that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OSL00004 on 2003-10-25 13:00 ]</font>

OSL00004
Oct 25, 2003, 02:54 PM
Also, you said that it is extremely hard to scream along with music. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is also difficult to say "toy boat" repeatedly fast. Does that make it music? Does that mean you should sell albums of you saying "toy boat" really fast? Hell no! Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. You can scream? Congrats, your parents must be proud. But I don't want it lingering in my Walkman.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/milk.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/milk.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/milk.gif

Cerris
Oct 25, 2003, 02:59 PM
firocket? likes techno????? id thought id never find common ground! i listen to TECHNO most of the time.

occasionally i listen to alternativ, HEAVY METAL, and EEEEEMMMMOOOOO

OSL00004
Oct 25, 2003, 03:04 PM
Oh and Sean... your signature...

THE BOONDOCK SAINTS IS THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER TO GRACE MY TELEVISIONS SCREEN. Look out for the sequel, which is currently in post-production. Off-topic, yes. But then again, isn't that the name of the forum?

Certainly illustraits the diversity of the word...

Spider
Oct 25, 2003, 05:58 PM
Some screamo is all right, but yeah, the generic screamo metal music is pretty poo. Boysetsfire rock, but I dunno if you'd really class that as screamo, AFI are alright (there old stuff anyway http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif).

Rotis
Oct 25, 2003, 09:43 PM
On 2003-10-25 05:08, OSL00004 wrote:

etc. etc. etc.

Huh what? I like Coheed & Cambria. Granted, I've only heard the few songs that the aforementioned friend sent me, but I found them quite enjoyable, in an amusing way.

My my, someone sure is touchy!

Shattered_weasel
Oct 25, 2003, 10:03 PM
nope i don't like good music

Wewt
Oct 25, 2003, 11:07 PM
Good music sucks. Sucky music is good. Your opinion is void once you say a genre is bad.

OSL00004
Oct 26, 2003, 09:43 AM
On 2003-10-25 21:07, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:
Good music sucks. Sucky music is good. Your opinion is void once you say a genre is bad.

How can an opinion become void once it is expressed? Does that mean all communication should dull down to an extreme level in which no one believes anything and everything is average? I'll stick with expressing myself and risking it, thank you.

Maybe I just wasn't clear enough. My post was of opinion, everything I had said is what I believe and nothing more. If you don't agree, that's fine. But it being a post I am free to praise and bash as I wish. It does not and will not void my opinion. My opinion is what it is, and it can only be changed by me. The post is worth what it is worth- two cents. My two cents.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OSL00004 on 2003-10-26 06:55 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OSL00004 on 2003-10-26 06:57 ]</font>

Rotis
Oct 26, 2003, 10:23 AM
On 2003-10-26 06:43, OSL00004 wrote:
My opinion is what it is, and it can only be changed by me. The post is worth what it is worth- two cents. My two cents.

What's that quote people love to throw around?

Something along the lines of "Opinions are like assholes; everyone has one, and they all smell."

Wewt
Oct 26, 2003, 11:12 AM
On 2003-10-26 06:43, OSL00004 wrote:
Maybe I just wasn't clear enough.
You were quite clear. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, or you need to read what I said again. I said once you say a genre is (keyword here:) BAD, your opinion is void. It cannot be "bad". It might not suit your tastes, but it is in no way bad at all.

You said in a previous post, asking how 'screaming' can be seen as music? To you, it may be screaming, but to others, however, it is music. Then again, music with so-called screamers in it, isn't really about the lyrics for me, it's more about the instruments.

If I don't agree, that's fine? How about if you don't agree, don't bash it? Oh, you cannot bash as you wish. Trust me. If you don't, read the rules or ask a moderator.

Erendell
Oct 26, 2003, 11:22 AM
I like heavy metal and rock music, sure some of it involves shouting, also a good deal of it doesn't. I can sit here and list off a load of bands, genres that I think are completely bad. Doesn't make it bad music at all. It can be perfectly good music, or even masterpieces, i'd just dislike it completely.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but you are not entitled to say something that may offend another person. Saying that something is bad, whether it be true/wrong/opinion is not the point, it's the fact that you might have offended someone, which is always wrong.

Recently i've been listening to more techno/electronic music, could someone suggest me a few good bands please

OSL00004
Oct 26, 2003, 11:42 AM
once you say a genre is (keyword here:) BAD, your opinion is void. It cannot be "bad". It might not suit your tastes, but it is in no way bad at all.

First off, I don't recall saying it was bad. I said it was crap. Also I would like to comment on 'not suiting my tastes, but is in no way bad at all'. Now, couldn't 'bad' be in the eye of the beholder? If it does not suit my tastes, wouldn't it be 'bad'- to me?

Also, I still don't understand what you mean by void. Do you mean that it is in no use to others? Saying it is bad - my opinion - will then void the opinion all together? Nothing can be bad or else I am wrong in my view? Either I am missing something or there are some serious holes in your argument.

OSL00004
Oct 26, 2003, 11:53 AM
On 2003-10-26 08:22, Erendell wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but you are not entitled to say something that may offend another person. Saying that something is bad, whether it be true/wrong/opinion is not the point, it's the fact that you might have offended someone, which is always wrong.

Okay, now this I understand. Believe me, I did not mean for my post to offend anyone. Looking over it now it does seem harsh. I guess I got off on a bad note - I am just posting an opinion, which I am doing to enlighten, broaden, and deepen other's views. I am truely sorry if anyone was offended by it. It was very wrong of me to do that, unintentional or not.

Maybe I'll clear it up a little, make it a little more friendly.

My opinion of Emo is that it is very good music. I believe those here making fun of emo are viewing it incorrectly. I dislike heavy metal and rap music. These two genres do not appeal to me in anyway.

OSL00004
Oct 26, 2003, 11:58 AM
On 2003-10-26 07:23, Rotis wrote:
What's that quote people love to throw around?

Something along the lines of "Opinions are like assholes; everyone has one, and they all smell."

I believe that is somewhat irrelevant- this is a forum, where people come to post there opinion. If you do not like hearing other's opinions, why are you here?

Rotis
Oct 26, 2003, 12:46 PM
On 2003-10-26 08:58, OSL00004 wrote:

I believe that is somewhat irrelevant- this is a forum, where people come to post there opinion. If you do not like hearing other's opinions, why are you here?

No, this is PSOW, where people come to act like complete retards. :S

You take yourself too seriously, man. Try calming down for just a moment, and see how much better it feels.

OSL00004
Oct 26, 2003, 05:55 PM
On 2003-10-26 09:46, Rotis wrote:
No, this is PSOW, where people come to act like complete retards. :S

Haha you have a very interesting view of things, Rotis. But you may be on to something.

I'm in a good mood- I just ran down to the store and picked up a copy of Max Payne 2. Thinking about this whole arguement, it seems quite silly. I'm not naiive (sp?) enough to think I could change WWWWWWWWWW's mind, so I propose a truce. Fighting is no fun, and this fight is not worth fighting. Maybe it all should be left at 'people disagree.' Here's to life - cheers!
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

Wewt
Oct 26, 2003, 06:31 PM
How many people replied before I made my post? That's right. You are not the only one. 'You' was directed to everybody.

On 2003-10-26 08:53, OSL00004 wrote:
I dislike heavy metal and rap music. These two genres do not appeal to me in anyway.

That's more like it. That's what people should say about things they don't like, not say it's bad.

As for what I meant for void, it simply means that if you can say a genre of music is bad, your opinion of any kind of music will be heavily biased(I know you don't mean they are bad, and everybody should think that, but it's this kind of wording that might piss someone else off). Hence, making you sound like the maker of this thread; defining what is "good". Now, I like Rock music, Hip-Hop, and almost all types of Electro music. If you had said they were bad, you would've annoyed me. If somebody less open-minded had read something like that, they probably would've gone all-out and flamed you.

Erendal: Prodigy, Sash, The Warp Brothers, Faithless, Basement Jaxx, Daft Punk, Darude. All good electricky stuff, but the song that's looping in my mind right now is Energy 52 - Cafe Del Mar. I was listening to this from 6pm to 5am last night :l

Yes, I am stupid, or crazy. Or both.

And yeah, this is PSOW. I'm here to read crap, and talk shit. No offence to those who pour their hearts out in writing well thought out posts http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Fighting is fun man...

Edit: Faithless are kinda... weird. Their style of music varies a lot. The songs I recommend are God is A DJ, Insomnia, We Come One. ;o

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WWWWWWWWWWWW on 2003-10-26 15:34 ]</font>

OSL00004
Oct 26, 2003, 08:45 PM
On 2003-10-26 15:31, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:

That's more like it.

Good to see we are all in agreement. Sort of.

I feel like posting this here- I've posted here more than anywhere (note my newbie post count). MAX PAYNE 2 THE FALL OF MAX PAYNE IS THE GREATEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED. Okay, I am done now. Thought I should get that off my back. So much fun... I'm gonna go play it some more. BWAHAHA the king of pointless posts backs his title!

I have finished straying this thread from it's initial path. You may continue the intended topic of discussion.

DO YOU LIKE GOOD MUSIC? Come to think of it... that is a very conflicting title. As a question, one designed to be a Yes or No question, it requires a varying answer. If it did not require such an answer, it would not have a thread. We would already know the definate and unvarying answer. But there is only one answer - yes. No one would say 'no', that would not make sense. The word 'good' brings the inquiry (sp?) into an opinionated one. To say that you prefer to listen to music that is not good to you, assuming that you listen to what you prefer of course, is about as sane as a shotgun to the head. You follow? Okay, the truth is I am supposed to be reading this 800+ page book about the Civil War right now... and I am just putting it off. I'll go play Max Payne. Later.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OSL00004 on 2003-10-26 17:55 ]</font>

HotWaterDeath
Oct 27, 2003, 10:18 AM
Ahh, here we go again...everybody using the "E" word. Interestingly enough, the word "emo" was a derrogatory description of the more "emotional" post-punk music scene( I think the whole premise of any "form" of music being more "emotional" than another form is pretty silly...well that's what I think). Its very similar to the broad generalization(assimilation) and "start" of "punk" rock. If you called some chap an emo kid back in the late eights/early ninties, you would have a fight on your hands...or at least a few stereotypical "coffee-shop" patrons running at you with their Jawbreaker and Rites of Spring records. I think its interesting that many people are completely oblivious to the roots of this "emotional" three-chord rock, or almost any form of rock. How can people listen to Taking Back Sunday when Jawbreaker exists? Dig deeper people.

I'd also like to give a shout out to the gentleman/gentlewoman that mentioned Streetlight Manifesto...well if you compose a band of nearly all ex-Catch-22 bandmates then it's bound to be sheer greatness. I still think Spring Heeled Jack (USA) would destroy them, but Streetlight and Catch still rock it.

forgetxmyface
Oct 27, 2003, 08:57 PM
On 2003-10-25 12:48, OSL00004 wrote:
Been skankin' for about four years. Gone through Reel Big Fish, Five Iron Frenzy, Beehive Trumpet Jumpers... I don't want to go through the list, and you don't want to hear it. I haven't heard a single ska band that screams, why don't you fill me in on that one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OSL00004 on 2003-10-25 13:00 ]</font>

Well I'm not talking full out screaming, just screams in the songs in general..some bands that i've heard that come to mind are:

The Pietasters, (some)Less Than Jake, (some)Catch 22, Streetlight Manifesto, Mustard Plug, Arrogant Sons of Bitches, and Cypher Ska.

That's just a few. I'm not trying to start an argument but theres screams in their songs. But again, its not like some bands where all it is is screaming.

odie2088
Oct 27, 2003, 09:20 PM
i didnt listen...i was thinking about it, but saw they sound like girls, so uhh...no, im not going to, and im remotely serious with music, if i like it i like it, if i dont i go around saying, "that song? oh, that song sux0rz!" or, "THAT SONG SUCKS HORRIBLY!" and does anyone like AFI? if you do, then you might not want to read this after this period. yes, that one, the one i just typed, up here, ^ that one, right there, if u like afi dont read after that! ok? ok, now that thats settled, i think the lead singer of AFI sounds like a chick sometimes, like in one, its like the parting song part 2, the something song part 2, i havent heard it in a while, he sounds like a guy for some of it, but then its like someone kicked him in the crotch, his voice sounds like a girls, and i heard his voice on some award show, i was like, heh, hes gonna sound like a chick, but he didnt! he sounded like a guy, which kind of surprised me and enraged me at the fact that he doesnt sing with a guy's voice...er...a regular, normally pitched, not uber high pitched guy's voice.

OSL00004
Oct 30, 2003, 06:28 PM
To the above posters that mentioned Streetlight and Catch -- I am very happy to see these bands known to at least some. I am really into Keasbey Nights, that is probably the greatest album I have heard. It's not often I find another fan -or even witness- to these bands outside of a Catch 22 forum. I think in my whole life I have only seen one person besides myself wearing a said band's shirt. I have spoken with Kevin Gunther of Catch 22 before, and I almost went to that video shoot. Too bad I couldn't. Streetlight has got to be the greatest band I have heard, even if Tom Kalnoky seemed different since Keasbey. That man -and James Egan too- is a genius. I swear to god, he writes all the songs, even the drum and horn parts, and sings them too. Crazy stuff. That's all.