PDA

View Full Version : Probably a Dumb Question About the GC BBA

Kadou
Oct 22, 2003, 06:33 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble connecting using the BBA. I have a wireless LAN set up, and I was told that if I connect my BBA to my computer via a plain ethernet cable I ought to be able to connect. This was not the case, however. I attempted several times to access the website on the GC browser, but each time it said it couldn't find the URL and then an error message popped up telling me to make sure the proper cable was inserted into the BBA. I went through all the troubleshooting, but nothing worked.

Now for the actual question: can I connect the BBA to a computer that is connect to the Internet via a wireless LAN, or does the BBA have to be connected directly to a router or cable modem?

Ketchup345
Oct 22, 2003, 06:44 PM
To connect from the:
Cube -> Comp -> Wireless LAN -> Cable/DSL
I think you need a crossover cable at the underlined part. Normal cables are for:
Cube -> Router -> High Speed Internet

Kadou
Oct 22, 2003, 06:59 PM
Unfortunetly I don't know what a crossover cable is, although I've heard it mentioned a lot.

Ketchup345
Oct 22, 2003, 07:40 PM
I you look at both ends of the Network cable, the normal ones have the colors on the same ends:
Left -> Right:
Purple Purple Green Blue Blue Green Orange Orange

The cossovers I think have the colors on opposite ends:
One:
Purple Purple Green Blue Blue Green Orange Orange
Two:
Orange Orange Green Blue Blue Green Purple Purple

Kadou
Oct 22, 2003, 08:15 PM
Er, I think I might have some sort of messed up cable then. I just looked, and it has, from left to right, purple, brown, green, light blue, dark blue, green, orange, red.

It's supposedly a reguler RJ45 (?) Ethernet cable, though.

gallaugher
Oct 23, 2003, 10:17 AM
You'll also need to enable & configure Internet Connection Sharing on the PC. You will need a crossover cable to go directly from your cube to the PC. You can pick one up at any computer store.

Ketchup345
Oct 23, 2003, 03:21 PM
On 2003-10-22 18:15, Kadou wrote:
Er, I think I might have some sort of messed up cable then. I just looked, and it has, from left to right, purple, brown, green, light blue, dark blue, green, orange, red.

It's supposedly a reguler RJ45 (?) Ethernet cable, though.

Ok, it probably is the same, just different colors. Make sure the colors match up like I said above for what type of configuaration you have (the crossover one). Actually, that is what my cable kind of looks like, probably just my lighting.

Kadou
Oct 25, 2003, 05:39 PM
A bit of computer trouble now. If I'm lucky, maybe someone will be able to help me with this. I went out and bought an Ethernet port card thing for my PC, or to be more precise, a 10/100BT Ethernet 32 bit PCI Card made by Belkin, as it says on the box. I installed it in the noly open slot in my PC and made sure several times that it was inserted correctly and whatnot, but each time I start up my comp it won't detect the new hardware. I've also gone to the Control Panel's Add New Hardware wizard thing, but that failed to detect it, too.

If it helps, I'm using Win98. Oh, and of course, I could still use any info on crossover cables and other junk like that.

EDIT: I now have my Ethernet card/adapter/port/thing installed, although the little light thing on it won't turn on. My computer can detect it though, so I don't think that matters. I'm still having trouble connecting though. I tried using an ordinary Ethernet cable and so far it's not working, so after I find out what a crossover cable is I'll have to go buy one, I guess. There's one thing I'm curious about, though. When I go to Control Panel, Network, [Long ehternet port name] properties, and then advanced, under speed I have the choices 10 half mode, 100 half mode, 10 full mode, 100 full mode, and automode. I currently have automode selected, but I'm wondering if I need to change it to something else.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kadou on 2003-10-26 09:08 ]</font>

Rich_T
Oct 26, 2003, 07:41 AM
was there an install disk with the card, try running that.
As for Crossover cables, just go to your nearest hardware shop (ie maplins), and ask for a crossover network lead.

Kadou
Oct 27, 2003, 07:33 PM
*bump*

Rich_T
Oct 28, 2003, 01:45 PM
If it helps, I'm using Win98
windows 98 first edition, or windows 98 second edition?

gallaugher
Oct 28, 2003, 02:52 PM
There's no sense trying until you get that crossover cable (that's why the light doesn't come on) & hook up internet connection sharing.

The question above is valid. You need Windows 98 Second Edition or newer.

Kadou
Oct 28, 2003, 04:28 PM
Alright. I'm fairly sure I have Win98 second edition. Now I'd just like to know what the hell a crossover cable is before I try to go out and buy one.

Rich_T
Oct 28, 2003, 05:32 PM
a crossover cbae has two of the wires in one plug swapped round, i think its to do with the send/recieve wires, its needed to conect to of the same devices together, ie BBA(netowrk card) to Network card.

Kadou
Oct 28, 2003, 09:06 PM
Ok, I've got Win98 SE and i just came back from Best Buy. I have a choice of buying a 25-foot crossover cable, which the guy at Best Buy told me are very hard to get if they exist at all, or a fairly expensive wireless ethernet adapter type thing to connect to my router rather than my PC. I'd still like to get the crossover cable, assuming it's cheaper, but does anyone know where I can buy one that's thiry feet long?

-reaver-
Oct 29, 2003, 03:06 AM
I haven't read the above posts in great detail but to set-up your Gamecube BBA with the Gamecube and PC you need RJ-45 Cable it's about £1 a metre from a computer store.

Connect that to a network card on your PC (PCI 10/100) and enable ICS via the control panel.

Hikara
Oct 30, 2003, 11:49 PM
Just a real quick question, as I am using my own PCMCIA card on my laptop as we speak for wireless internet access. What's the manufacturer of the PCI card? If it's SCM Networks, don't bother trying to get it to work. Their things buggy all the time.

I'd say go with the Wireless. There's no point in searching for something you're not sure exsists, than to pay a little extra for something I know will work. How do I know it works? For some reason, Cards don't work as well as Wirelesses that go right through the router to the ISP, instead of through another computer. It's just been my experiance. you have my suggestion.

Curiosity
Oct 31, 2003, 01:19 PM
well first off, crossover cables do exist. now as to places to get one... couple possibilities, 1st, buy a standard ethernet cable of a length a bit longer than you actually need and then rewire it to create a crossover cable. however, that would also entail additional hardware/equipment and information about how to actually go about rewiring the cable itself. all of which are (i'd guess) readily available in various places.

2nd possibility, purchase a crossover cable from any of a number of places. one place being here (http://www.cyberguys.com). they have 14, 25, and 50 foot lengths available. check it out here (http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchProducts.asp?search=1ca&child=1ca62&curpage=5&ureq=y), about mid-page. (i honestly can't figure out how to get only the result from a search that i want w/their current search utility, not that i've spent much time trying mind you. nor can i figure out how to search by Item #, like was possible a while back... hehe, granted, i'm talking from a few years ago. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Curiosity on 2003-10-31 10:20 ]</font>

person
Nov 2, 2003, 12:54 PM
go to home depo and theres a really long one thats like 100 feet in a box, but you also have tho by the thing that plugs into the wall