PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Skateboard?

Neo159753123
Oct 24, 2003, 07:28 PM
well, i'm a beginer(just found a board in the corner of my garage,(never knew i had won)) so i drop by the library and pick up a book on skateboarding and start working on some tricks. my question is what kind of board should i get? since mine is a piece of crap. any suggetions?

thx.

Alteisen
Oct 24, 2003, 09:32 PM
Well, I USED to skate, but it was basically utilitarian stuff (like going to the store and whatnot). But I think I might be able to help a little.

What kind of board do you have right now? Is it an old-school '80s - early '90s board with only one tail, or is it hte usual board with two tails?

Anyway, regardless of what kind of board you have, first thing for you to do is to try to replace the bearings on the wheels. Best everyone seems to think would be Powell Bones Swiss bearings, but any set will do. Just as long as they're FRESH. Either that, or at least lubricate the old bearings, but I personally found that new bearings worked pretty well.

As for getting a new board, try looking for a cheap, no-design wood deck. Maybe some new trucks (Grind Kings seem to work pretty well), and some risers to go with that too. The wheels don't really need to be replaced if you're just gonna salvage your old board, though. You can use this deck to practice your ollies, grinds, and tricks. And if you break it, getting a replacement is pretty cheap, compared to the extra for a "design" board. Once you stop breaking boards faster than you can say "Nacho Cheese," then pick up a board with a kickass design. Hook-Ups boards look pretty sweet; if you're lucky, you can find some of their old designs, such as Devilman 13 (pretty cool homage to Go Nagai creation Devilman).

You also might want to start looking for a few skate shops in your area, since they specialize in stuff like this. Keep in mind, though, that this stuff gets pretty expensive (Bones Swiss bearings range at like $50 - $80 last I checked), and requires lots of patience and practice if you wanna bust out trick after trick after trick. And no, I can't do any tricks; I just did "utilitarian" skating most of the time.

... that reminds me. I gotta start skating again. If only it were actually SPRING instead of FALL... argh.

Neo159753123
Oct 25, 2003, 07:37 AM
well, thanks for your help. i don't think there's a skate shop around my town, since it somewhat small and out of the way. i'll just practice on my old junkie board, learn a few tricks then buy i new one all together. thx for you help

martian_man
Oct 25, 2003, 10:10 AM
i sk8bord.nuff sed

DeathMothFO
Oct 25, 2003, 10:18 AM
Get your dad and some tools and stuff and make your own thats the best way (until the wheel falls off you fall into the road and get run over)

martian_man
Oct 25, 2003, 11:02 AM
get a world industries deack with pig wheels abec7 bearings and pig grease 2 smoothify it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif(hope this helps):D

klepto
Oct 25, 2003, 12:56 PM
Start with the ollie. Then ride switch for a bit till your comfortable with it. Then do popshuvits. Then Frontside 180s. Then kickflips. Then backside 180s.

Shattered_weasel
Oct 25, 2003, 01:09 PM
Then backflips, cartwheels and roundoffs and you have become Tony Hawk

Alteisen
Oct 25, 2003, 03:55 PM
On 2003-10-25 05:37, Neo159753123 wrote:
well, thanks for your help. i don't think there's a skate shop around my town, since it somewhat small and out of the way. i'll just practice on my old junkie board, learn a few tricks then buy i new one all together. thx for you help

Hmmm. In this case, you can always try the vastness that is the Internet. There's always CCS (http://www.ccs.com/), who not only does the Internet thing, but also mail-order as well, through their seasonal catalogs. I stopped getting their catalogs for a while, since I don't really skate all that much.

There are other sites, but this is the only one that comes to mind right now. This should work nicely for you.

PABLOparavida
Oct 25, 2003, 06:00 PM
im hardcore skater. kickfilp to nosegrind 540 out. jk no idea what I'm talking about.

Vanango
Oct 26, 2003, 12:07 PM
There area always tons of skaters around here and I love watching them. I don't know if I've ever seen a trick successfully pulled off. It's usually just watching them go and crash or trip.

Neo159753123
Oct 26, 2003, 01:19 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2003-10-25 05:37, Neo159753123 wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm. In this case, you can always try the vastness that is the Internet. There's always CCS, who not only does the Internet thing, but also mail-order as well, through their seasonal catalogs. I stopped getting their catalogs for a while, since I don't really skate all that much.

There are other sites, but this is the only one that comes to mind right now. This should work nicely for you.

i figured that out, i'm not stupid. as a matter of fact i already ordered one off stakeboard.com

FinalHell
Oct 26, 2003, 02:28 PM
You can always Borrow 1 from a freind =/. And then later on u can break it and tell him it was his own fault for letting you borrow it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Neo159753123
Oct 26, 2003, 02:49 PM
see that's my problem all my friends don't skateboard. there either real smart people or cross country runners. so i can't really borrow one.