PDA

View Full Version : GC: BSOD question.

navci
Oct 25, 2003, 12:42 PM
Hm. Hi. Last night I got my first BSOD. Yuck.
I was in p2, suddenly the music stopped, (then a mail came in). I was just wondering what happened, and BAM! Black screen. It says there is some sort of error and please see the instruction booklet for more information (it has none =P).

So. Lost some stuff. Well, most valuable being a Rati (light blue, very good looking) which I have finally managed to raise dex to 70. (Lil bastard has at least 10 hours on it). Still I am thankful that I didn't lose anything more important, or got corrupted. Still, this is the first time it happened to me, so I am still in shock of some sort.

So here is the question. How common is BSOD? Friend suggested that maybe the spinner just stopped, and hence the music stopped and all, so that is a hardware problem. I am now a little paranoid about it. Is it necessary for get a checkup for the cube? Any precaution to how to avoid this? Is there anything you can do when you see the sign of this happen again?

Server has been real slow lately. But that shouldn't be the cause, right? Anyhoo. Any type of advice/comment would be welcomed.

RadHaz
Oct 25, 2003, 04:57 PM
not for GC, but interesting to read:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/gs/faqs/psobsod.txt

Jason
Oct 25, 2003, 09:01 PM
Funny stuff.

Cerris
Oct 25, 2003, 09:06 PM
do not hit the bsod!

Jason
Oct 25, 2003, 09:59 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

VulpesMundi
Oct 26, 2003, 12:33 AM
On 2003-10-25 10:42, navi wrote:
Hm. Hi. Last night I got my first BSOD. Yuck.
I was in p2, suddenly the music stopped, (then a mail came in). I was just wondering what happened, and BAM! Black screen. It says there is some sort of error and please see the instruction booklet for more information (it has none =P).

What you experienced was not a BSoD, but an internal error in the Gamecube itself. The system has a security feature to shut itself down when something goes wrong. Unfortunately this internal error has the same resulting effect as an FSoD, causing the victim to lose items, experience, and play time. I've personally witnessed this error twice (thankfully offline), but there was no explaination to it. It just seems to happen at random. However, the Gamecube seems to work fine after shutting off the power and then turning it back on. I think the information that the game refers to is either Sega's or Nintendo's customer service phone numbers or URLs.

Nai_Calus
Oct 26, 2003, 01:10 AM
Yuck. :-/ Poor Rati. ;_; *mourns its loss* At least it went to Rati heaven. *nods sagely*
I've gotten FSOD before offline, but that was my own damn fault. XD Didn't lose anything, though.(Do not hit the A button too quickly duping anything that has no use/equip option.)