PDA

View Full Version : Why does music give you the urge to move?

Wewt
Oct 26, 2003, 06:48 PM
Why does music give you the urge to move?

Whether it's dancing, tapping your feet, nodding your head, or just jump around.

Why?

I don't get it. Somebody fill my in...

Shattered_weasel
Oct 26, 2003, 06:51 PM
Its the same as why do people turn their bass all the way up when they listen to music or play music ultra loud.

Nawms
Oct 26, 2003, 08:23 PM
uhh because you feel the beat.

PABLOparavida
Oct 26, 2003, 08:32 PM
uhhhhhhh because. Just because

Shadow82
Oct 26, 2003, 08:48 PM
Actually there's little elves inside your stereo and/or CD player that come out of the speakers and enter your brain to temporarily control your body to move around.How else do you think the Macerena(sp) was invented?

Vanango
Oct 26, 2003, 10:30 PM
it's the beat! it's the rythem! it's what makes us wanna grooooove!

Hell, I'll boogie to anything with a decent beat... anyone remember those car commercials where it starts off with a guy's windsheild wipers and then other beats play in like someone walking or coughing or a door closing etc? Very w00t.

Different music makes me want to do different things. Some I want to dance my own dance, some I want to mosh, some I just get really violent, country for example.

NKOTB
Oct 26, 2003, 11:02 PM
I have good rhythm.

Trust me.

xHIGHONLIFEx
Oct 26, 2003, 11:18 PM
Some music makes me want to fight (Example: Crystal Method, Name of the Game)... It has some weird beat and energy that makes my anger unleash....

Guile
Oct 27, 2003, 01:14 AM
Cuz when music hits you, you feel no pain.

Cerris
Oct 27, 2003, 08:13 AM
it a distraction ti the human tempo, the human forgets about their old tempo and adpots the new one temporarly

Wewt
Oct 27, 2003, 09:31 AM
There must be some chemical or biological explanation to it. I mean, there's a reason why our mouthes water when we smell food we like, so there must be a reason why we have urges to move when we hear sounds we like.

HotWaterDeath
Oct 27, 2003, 10:33 AM
Because it makes for an enjoyable experience. Come now! Whether you're slamming, skanking, busting a groove, or hardcore dancing, it's all just good, clean fun. I'm curious as to why people wouldn't want to move around at a show(concert, if you will)?
Its a good way to vent, let out some steam...but NOT at the expense of others.

Why would anyone want to go to a "sit-down" show? That seems like a fate worse than death.

martian_man
Oct 27, 2003, 10:39 AM
because u feel the vibration and say"i wanna get in that moshpit"lol

Anubis_
Oct 27, 2003, 12:54 PM
if u hear music and start bobing ur head or tapping ur feet.. it just a natural movement.. Same as flenching when someones nails scrape against a chalk board..
Dancing is a natural movement in human genetics, Not like poplocking or the moon walk..
Those types of dances a signiture moves made by us to look cool when we dance..
Our natural dance style is completely our own.. its sort of what u see childen do when they hear music.. or a geek like me when he dances at a club.. You've seen my kind of dancing before.. Im the guy at the club flopping around like a spasmic fish out of water... (friends watching-What the hell are you doing?)

Abaddon
Oct 27, 2003, 09:12 PM
I beleive it has something to do with brain waves. I know that certain classical/ambient music is likened to (alpha?) waves in the brain...I'm not really sure about the higher tempo music.

polishedweasel
Oct 28, 2003, 03:34 AM
I never really thought about it. But I think it has something to do with society...from the time you can remember people are always telling you what to do. But when you hear that music, it makes you feel free in a sense. So in response to this freedom you become joyful and move your body. Something you wouldn't be able to do in any other situation. Like you just can't get up and dance during your baptism, ya know?