PDA

View Full Version : Some almost certainly retarded questions

Nai_Calus
Oct 28, 2003, 04:56 AM
Hrg. Well. I got some money for my birthday, which would be enough to cover the cost of a Modem/Broadband Adapter and a HL for a couple of months.

Obviously the BBA would be better, but.

In this house we have two different internet connections - The DSL mom has for her work laptop, and the dialup MSN I use on Calus here, as well as on the other computer, Vol Opt. As you might guess, we don't have a network. Mom's kicked around the idea of getting a router a couple of times, but not seriously, so the likelyhood of that ever happen is not particularily high. Furthermore, I don't know the details of that particular connection, so trying to just connect with it from the modem itself would be kind of impossible.

Which leaves the option of the dialup, which is rather risky - MSN here, quite frankly, sucks. Horribly. AOL had no problems when we used to have it(Unbelieveably...), but since I started using MSN, I've gotten very frequent disconnections and extremely slow connections(It never reports the connection speed as above 28.8k, and I believe it - The speeds I get are consistent with that. This is on a good day, incidentally, and 14.4 happens often(And yes, it really is - I used to use AOL 2.5 on a 386 with a 14.4k modem. Same painful speeds.)... Which obviously makes me worry a bit. Furthermore, recently on this computer, I can no longer connect to MSN without using the program itself - Even though none of the settings for the connection have changed. Password's still stored, username is still correct, I haven't touched any of the settings anywhere. I haven't tested on Vol Opt to see if it works there, but it's somewhat frustrating, and makes me wonder.

So - A Modem Adapter seems to be the way to go(Also, I'll be going to my father's house in California soon, and may end up living with him at some point in the (relatively) near future, and he lives in the middle of nowhere where broadband is completely not an option, and I'll be there nearly a month... Which in the grand scheme of things means nothing, but it would be nice to actually be able to connect for the time I'd be able to afford a HL), but:

BBA -
Assuming I could find out the proper settings from my mother/getting on the computer and looking for them myself, would it be possible to simply run a ridiculously long ethernet cable from the DSL modem to the Cube/Calus(50 feet would reach, we tried it once with our phone cord(Why we have a 50-foot phone cord, I don't know) - The cube sits on top of Cal, so.) and just use the connection that way without a router? Mom isn't on the DSL too much - It's used with her laptop(And would that be an issue?). If this could also be done somehow to get Calus connected to the DSL, that would make things nice, since I could then get her to buy the cable that would be required for the purpose of getting the -computer- connected. And considering my issues with the dialup connection, it would likely be much safer for my characters in the long run. >_<; So, would just running a cable from the modem itself work? It has four jacks for cables, also - Could I use it while she was connected on her laptop? Or would there be lag/etc?

Modem adapter -
Obviously this would be the easiest choice. We have phone cords that are more than long enough, and I actually have the information I'd need for the settings on hand, and can get it if I don't without any issues. I also have nearly exclusive use of the phoneline in the evening and early morning - Mom uses our cel phones if she needs to make calls. On the other hand, the recent issues with connecting to MSN on Calus have me uncertain if I can actually connect with it(Yes, I know about the MSN/username thing, and it is set up that way... It just says the username and/or password are invalid(Which they aren't. -_-;)... Furthermore, the lack of speed and frequent disconnections have me worried. If I had the same issues on PSO, it seems like it would be a breeding ground for lag and FSOD and possibly even FSOD-X... Which could still happen with a BBA, but from what I've read it seems more likely to happen with a modem, especially with the problems I have.

So. Er. Yeah. Which would be better for me to try to get? Which would be less likely to give me a screaming headache and make me want to break things? Furthermore, where would I go about even obtaining one these days? From Nintendo? Or would I have to get it off of eBay? Any issues with using a Bank of America Visa Check Card?

Additionally, assuming I manage to get online with whatever I wind up going with: My primary memory card is a Nintendo 59, so no issues there, as I've heard that that's best - My other card, though, is some random Nyko thingie. Is Nyko a good/bad brand to try to use? Or would I be better off not trying to use that card online at all?

...If this is unreadable, I'll try to clarify things, just ask. >_<;

rena-ko
Oct 28, 2003, 05:34 AM
ok, answering backwards.

i dont have problems with either the nintendo 59 or the nintendo 251. but i heard nyko is a very bad choice.

hm... i just flew over your post so please forgive me if you noticed something important which would change the way completely, inbetween...

i'd say, get both actually...
first the modem adapter and later, when you happen to be with your mom again, get a bba and force her into sharing that connection.

really. do you have to pay the dial-up bills yourself? a flatrate (dont mind if your mother's connection is not a flatrate) is there to be used to its fullest imho.
parallel pso doesnt draw that much bandwidth (at least not the cube version).

you could always set up one pc as server/router. put your (mom's) BB connection into that one, then get some network solution for cheap for every other pc to get it hooked up to the routerserver. (i got suggested to run linux on such a server btw).

you could also hook a cube-modem onto that network - you need a pci-modem adapter and a solution that also worked for dreamcast back then.

if you're interested in that option (it involves some skills in networking), pm me and i'll dig the manual-page out for you.

hm, where to get...
nintendo i guess... parallel you could try ebay.
or you get them imported from germany - they're widely available but overpriced here *laughs*

for providers and disconnections...
i got kicked all of the sudden recently. i use bba now. so thats not a modem's fault. its the server and or the provider.
i suggest get a good cheap provider at least anything other than MSN and AOL. i dont know for the US, but i guess another specialized topic might be helpful.

so far i know a bba is only then a very save solution if you have a router inbetween. its said to minimize or even anihilate damage and/or chance on/of FSODx.

anyway, good luck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2003-10-28 02:40 ]</font>

Rich_T
Oct 28, 2003, 01:50 PM
If you get a Broadband adaptor, you can actualy use it on a 56k conection, by conecting it to a spare ethernet card on your p.c, with a crossover ethernet cable, and enabling internet conection sharing on the p.c ( works best with winxp, can be used with win98se upwards)
Its not eh best solution, but if your upgrading to broadband in the near future, it saves you having to pay for both adaptors.

Nai_Calus
Nov 4, 2003, 02:09 PM
On 2003-10-28 10:50, Rich_T wrote:
If you get a Broadband adaptor, you can actualy use it on a 56k conection, by conecting it to a spare ethernet card on your p.c, with a crossover ethernet cable, and enabling internet conection sharing on the p.c ( works best with winxp, can be used with win98se upwards)
Its not eh best solution, but if your upgrading to broadband in the near future, it saves you having to pay for both adaptors.

Hrg. How safe/stable/etc is something like that? And how hard is it to set up? Or would it save my sanity in the long run to just get a Modem Adapter and get a BBA later if mom ever actually does get a router/whatever so we can use the DSL on Calus?

Cal runs XP, BTW, so.

VioletSkye
Nov 4, 2003, 03:33 PM
On 2003-11-04 11:09, Ian-KunX wrote:

On 2003-10-28 10:50, Rich_T wrote:

Hrg. How safe/stable/etc is something like that? And how hard is it to set up? Or would it save my sanity in the long run to just get a Modem Adapter and get a BBA later if mom ever actually does get a router/whatever so we can use the DSL on Calus?

Cal runs XP, BTW, so.

Depending on how ambitious I am this afternoon, I can try it out for you. I have both the Modem and BBA and although i have cable service I have some username and passwords I can use for DUN (don't ask, don't tell http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ) So I can try using dialup with the BBA and let you know how well it fares.

Kunoichi
Nov 4, 2003, 03:52 PM
On 2003-10-28 01:56, Ian-KunX wrote:
So, would just running a cable from the modem itself work? It has four jacks for cables, also - Could I use it while she was connected on her laptop? Or would there be lag/etc?

Running a cable from the modem itself will work, and in regards to sharing the connection, as long as large files are not being downloaded, there will be very little to no lag. I usually have AIM and several Internet Explorer windows open while playing PSO, and I never get slowdown, nor does anyone I play with.

VioletSkye
Nov 4, 2003, 04:50 PM
I would suggest that you use a hub (they are fairly cheap) as opposed to using ICS if you do decide to utilize the broadband connection. Then you won't need to worry about lag at all.