PDA

View Full Version : Need some VMU advice...

Anonymous
Apr 3, 2001, 10:40 PM
Well, after losing one char's data after logging on to, the rather crap I must say, official PSO site, i'm a bit paranoid about screwing around with my VMU. I have my char saved on an official VMU, but also have a 4X thirdparty. Now, it says (obviously) in the instructions to never take out the VMU while playing. All I want to do is back up my char, just in case this happens again. Any ideas? Is it safe to pull out my official one, replace it with the 4x and quit? Then, would I be able save multiple chars (by just changing pages)? Just in case it matters (doubtful) i'm in the UK. Oh, and the thirdparty VMU is a Joytech 4 meg.

I know nobody can guarantee this won't screw up, but I just wanna kno if anyone has successfully done this/knackered it all up. Cheers.

Logaan.

kalten
Apr 5, 2001, 12:06 PM
This isn't going to work (even if you did manage to get copies of your saved games onto the other vmu pages.) If you try to use one of these backups the PSO server will detect that the date is older than the last saved game you used and won't allow you to continue with the backup.

Anonymous
Apr 5, 2001, 07:44 PM
no! your wrong...emailing yourself a back up works!!! i made a back up and went on line then it said "blah blah corrupt data blah press start to intialize data" after pressing start it went to the save screen saved and then i tried to go online with the "initialized" data and it worked like a charm, without any error messages

shortiboi4
Apr 7, 2001, 03:03 AM
E-mailing your self works fine. What you do is e-mail to yourself with DC and download it onto your backup card. To update the save you open your file, swap memory cards, and then save. If you don't send file to yourself then it will tell you to insert original card. You don't need to keep card in at all times. Now, when you need to use the backup, don't go online until you have played offline for a while surpassing your original time. I'm not sure if this still works because of the constant changes with the server but from what I know, you'll only get caught if you go on with time of say 60 hours and you use your backup thats been played for 59. Good luck

Anonymous
Apr 8, 2001, 02:52 AM
E-mailing works like a dream! thanx u lot!

Tolwyn
Apr 9, 2001, 10:18 PM
Or you could just keep the characters the same constantly.. Whenever you save the char on the VMU, save it on the other one as well.. Same time.