PDA

View Full Version : pso ps2

micah1500
Oct 30, 2003, 02:55 PM
i was at game stop today and i ask why dont thay have pso on the ps2 he said that when the networkadpter came out for ps2 it would not work but any wayz he said when the ps2 hard drive comes out it will be a pso on ps2 is this true or fales

OriginalLacan
Oct 30, 2003, 02:57 PM
uh-oh, here come the console wars again...

I believe in the last discussion, the answer to this question was no for various reasons.

Barubary6
Oct 30, 2003, 03:07 PM
On 2003-10-30 11:55, micah1500 wrote:
i was at game stop today and i ask why dont thay have pso on the ps2 he said that when the networkadpter came out for ps2 it would not work but any wayz he said when the ps2 hard drive comes out it will be a pso on ps2 is this true or fales

The problem is the lack of video RAM. PSO seems to require 8 megs of VRAM no matter what, and the PS2 has only 4. Even the Dreamcast had 8. PC PSO required at least an 8 meg video card too.

Gamecube has only 1 meg, technically, but its architecture is such that textures from secondary RAM can be used quickly anyway.

Xbox has no video RAM. Textures come directly from system RAM, but since there is 64 megabytes of it, the most of any console out now, PSO isn't a problem.

Unlike the Gamecube and Xbox, the PS2 cannot efficiently use texture data from non-video RAM. This means that textures pretty much have to come from VRAM and PSO would be extremely difficult to port to PS2 (and would look worse than Dreamcast!)

-- Barubary

micah1500
well i have not been on the web for a long time

anwserman
Nope, won't be on PS2 period - not for reasons of bias, hatred or love for NGC or XBox (heh, ST loves Xbox muhahahah just kidding).

Plain and simple, no. It won't and never will come out to the PS2. Kill this topic before it goes into a huge, endless and pointless flaming war about which console is best.

EDIT: Thank you Barubary for confirming that for me. In the last thread, I stated that the PS2 couldn't handle it - and Yugi Naka stated that in the DC magazine - but everyone stated that if it could run on the Dreamcast, it could run on the PS2. No one believed me... sob.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2003-10-30 12:09 ]</font>

micah1500
Oct 30, 2003, 03:09 PM
well i have not be on yhe web in a log time i just found out therewasa ver 3coming out

micah1500
Oct 30, 2003, 03:12 PM
the ps2 hdd was said to make games look better and run faster

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 30, 2003, 03:22 PM
Never, EVER rely on an employee of GameStop/Funcoland/Software Etc or affiliated stores to give you reliable information. The information you get will, as a rule, be inaccurate. That's the way it works. If you're looking for news on PSO, this site and Minhiro are the best places to find it.

Now... All things considered... PSO probably COULD run on a PS2, despite having only 4 megs of vRAM-- but that would require piles and piles of re-coding the game to function properly on the PS2, which is currently the most difficult console to develop for on the market, given the lack of a Developer's kit, and complex architecture (which, I imagine, is likely related to the PS2's backward compatibility).

anwserman
Oct 30, 2003, 04:05 PM
Actually, I heard it was due to the fact that there were three processors and not one.

Oh, the HDD only allows for bigger, more vast enviroments to be preloaded onto the disk, meaning shorter load times. It has NOTHING to do with the graphics whatsoever. Bigger and more vast enviroments deal with the landscape and layout of the terrain, not the texturing and the details.

Celestial
Oct 30, 2003, 04:31 PM
gamestop/funcoland/babbages/ETC... employess are all retards never listin to a word they got to say...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Celestial on 2003-10-30 13:32 ]</font>

darthsaber9x9
Oct 30, 2003, 05:34 PM
lol. barubary answered in pretty much two posts(or was it one, my memory sucks) the original question. Also i asked in GAME(uk games shop you u americans) when pso v2 was commign out on dc. they told me it woudlnt and it was only gunna be on ps2!!!!HAHAHAHAHA ROTFLMAO

Nohra
Oct 30, 2003, 05:48 PM
Let's see... system strengths...

PS2: Large product recognition, given the fact that the PSX was probably the most notable console of its time (the DC had its own problems, despite being technologically advanced, and the N64 had reeeeally bad games). Multiple PS* only series that are also genre-defining (Tekken, Dino Crisis, Vagrant Story, the Final Fantasy series, the Megaman series, and newer games like Disgaea.)

XBox: Raw freaking power. 7 gig built in hard drive, allowing for lotsa saves, fun things like TS2's custom map maker, and music storage. The money behind it that is Microsoft. XBox Live! downloadable content (which is a curse and blessing). Halo (which WAS going to be for the Macintosh, before M$ bought up Bungie).

GCN: Product recognition which began way back when with the NES and Mario. Compact yet robust, simple controller scheme, very expandable (anyone who's installed their own modem adaptor knows this). Small discs (both convenient and a problem, given the fact that a mini DVD only holds 2.2 gigs as opposed to 5.4 on a fullsize). The Metroid series (Prime was the sole reason I even got a GCN. X)

Let's not diss a system because it 'sucks.' Let's enjoy them all for what they are. :D

CrimsonII2
Oct 30, 2003, 10:06 PM
well, to answer your question about version 3, thats the one named episode 3 C.A.R.D revolution, and will be a turn-based card battle game, also I would like to believe that if they tried ST could put PSO on ps2, but for reasons already mentioned (and probably a few others) thats not happening, allthough one thing odd, ST is bringing a few of the PS series to the ps2, so obviously its not that they don't want to use the ps2, another reason that I heard them not putting pso on ps2, was because of the cheat devices available for it, but yet that makes no sense considering how things are going to the dogs in xbox, and getting near there on GC, hopefully the new pso will be harder for people to hack or whatnot, otherwise their will be no point in playing it online against other players, except maybe those that are definitely legit players

JohanCC
Oct 30, 2003, 10:22 PM
no, ver 3 is the GC + Xbox version

ver1: DC
ver2: DC
ver3: GC+Xbox

Ep3 is a different game, rather than an expansion.

SuperDK
Nov 1, 2003, 08:50 AM
Yeah, you can't trust stupid workers. I think my friend told me that some worker said that the gamecube didn't go online...And that's why they didn't have PSO(nline).