PDA

View Full Version : What the hell does everyone have against rangers.

Demonslayer
Oct 30, 2003, 09:41 PM
I dont if its just me noticing this that a lot of people say that rangers suck and that all they do is shoot enemies from afar b/s.

Now will somebody plz tell me what the hell is wrong!!!!!

The_Hero_Of_Time
Oct 30, 2003, 09:48 PM
On 2003-10-30 18:41, Demonslayer wrote:
I dont if its just me noticing this that a lot of people say that rangers suck and that all they do is shoot enemies from afar b/s.

Now will somebody plz tell me what the hell is wrong!!!!!

well, odds are they never used a ranger with good power and ATA, or with good weapons. I used to think like that, but then I made one and I was pretty fun.

Slicer238
Oct 30, 2003, 09:55 PM
When I first seen the article for PSO in my Nintendo Power, my first thought was. "I'm going to create a ranger." I think the Ranger is the best class around. They can hit up to five enemies at once with a shot gun and with good enoug hata absorb hp or tp to repenlish themselves. They start off rough but when you get a ranger around 80 they begin to kick major ass.

DOG21313
Oct 30, 2003, 10:36 PM
Some just don't like they're playing style, including me, it just seems too boring to shoot from a distance... But I find them INCREDIBLY useful in a team, they're good members.

NKOTB
Oct 30, 2003, 11:10 PM
I don't know what to think of my ranger. its still a low level but i seem to suck with anything but a HU

PhoenixOfHate
Oct 30, 2003, 11:26 PM
Since were talking about Rangers.. What's the best one to make for offline mode?

Guile
Oct 30, 2003, 11:37 PM
Due to the fact they are so badass, thats why!

Shattered_weasel
Oct 31, 2003, 08:39 AM
On 2003-10-30 20:37, Guile wrote:
Due to the fact they are so badass, thats why!

we got a smart one!!!

Firocket1690
Oct 31, 2003, 10:02 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't personally like a class that's based on sitting away from the action, shooting stuff.
Oh, and that distance also gets annoying when the HU is always there if something drops...

Scejntjynahl
Oct 31, 2003, 12:55 PM
On 2003-10-30 20:26, PhoenixOfHate wrote:
Since were talking about Rangers.. What's the best one to make for offline mode?

In my opinion Racaseal is the best. Good attack accuracy, ability to see and set traps, not affected by poison are all good pros. And dont forget the ability to heal while just standing. But any ranger with a good Frosen Shooter can hold their own.

Ketchup345
Oct 31, 2003, 08:12 PM
On 2003-10-31 07:02, Firocket1690 wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't personally like a class that's based on sitting away from the action, shooting stuff.
Oh, and that distance also gets annoying when the HU is always there if something drops...

A lot of people think that, but I think the opposite. I find it incredibly boring to be on the ground every 2 seconds when using a HUnter. Also, if people complain about being away from the action, why don't they also complain about FOrces? They do almost the exact same thing, except use magic instead of a gun.

Edit: For offline, hmm.
RAmar: Best ATA in the game, level 15 spells, lowest MST in the game (besides androids of course) (Resta isn't that useful), good power.
RAmarl: 2nd best max ATA, 2nd best non-FOrce MST, level 20 spells, ok ATP, has S/D/J/Z, best EVP in the game, better DFP than RAmar, good for offline multiplayer without a FOrce or a HUnewearl
RAcast: lowest RAnger ATA, great power, best RAnger HP (not fully sure)
RAcaseal: 3rd best RAnger ATA, weakest in ATP, best DFP of all RAngers (possibly game)

Hopefully that helps some. Looks may also help your descision, along with what you already have RAnger wise (if you have a RAcast already, go with RAmarl; if you have RAmar, use RAcaseal; use opposite type {cast/caseal, use mar/marl} and opposite gender; I would say).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2003-10-31 18:28 ]</font>

shifter
Oct 31, 2003, 08:36 PM
i love my racast. true they sit back from the action, but u rarely have to worry about getting ganged up. and at higher lvls, they get some very sweet weps. as stated earlier, a good ranger player is invaluable to a team.

and as for offline, go with a ramar, cause or there high ata, or a racast, for there atp.

Erendell
Nov 1, 2003, 03:48 AM
I'd say go for RAcast. With a good pow and dex mag they are brilliant; doing nice damage and the ability to hit with heavy attacks easily, not to mention traps and hp regen.

Who needs to worry about tp and techs! Except... uh... Forces http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

K8lin
Nov 1, 2003, 05:08 AM
I have rangers and I do like them, I do know what you mean about people saying they suck, also about HUmars, people seem to hate them. Seen many games "HUmars Suck ass" "NO HUmars" etc. My all time fav is FO, or even a FOmarl http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif, Rangers are very useful for falz, i must say

PhoenixOfHate
Nov 1, 2003, 11:33 AM
Other char is a HUmar, I am kinda leaning toward the RAmarl since she has shifta and deband.. With that can't she end up doing more damage then the RAmar?

LamerPanda
Nov 1, 2003, 11:40 AM
I'd imagine so, and she has J/Z as well; if you gave her a nice POW MAG it might also help. If you already have a mar, might as well go with a marl. =D

I have rangers and I do like them, I do know what you mean about people saying they suck, also about HUmars, people seem to hate them.

Because they're shallow and they haven't figured out that you play games for fun (though HUmars and RAs can be fine depending on who plays them). OMFGz0rz!11!

SubstanceD
Nov 1, 2003, 01:11 PM
I confess to be one of the many out there that had a problem with Ragers.

Much Firocket I did not care for the fact that Rangers more or less can stand in one place and shoot things from far away while Hunters on the other hand are right on the front lines mixing up things. It just seemed so cheap and repetive.

My preference of Hunters over Rangers is also due to the fact that in real life I despise guns and what they symbolise, when you can just sit back, pull a trigger and kill someone you don't really think about it or the consequences of your actions because you aren't really getting your hands physicaly dirty. Even though I hate violence and weapons that are used to maim and kill I do admit to haveing a weak spot for bladed weapons, most particularly Swords which I am completely infactuated with. That's kind of why I never ever gave Rangers a second though but always used Hunters, hate guns, love swords.

Having said all of that I recently created a Ramarl, she is my first proper ranger ( I have breifly experimented with Ramar and Racast ) and I must admit that she does own everything. More importantly she seems to be getting through levels alot quicker than all my other characters, she cleans rooms super quickly so there is not much danger of things getting repetive and tiresome with her since playing as her does not take up as much time as my other characters. Rangers are alot stronger than I had initially thought they would be. So I hearby eat all my previous words on Rangers and concede that they are a great class. I still however prefer Hunters, even though they have it harder I prefer them cause it is just the way I am.

Cheep
Nov 1, 2003, 01:36 PM
I think ramarls are best. They have good ata ok atp(I have power mag), good techs(good when theres no fo), and good evasion(this comes in handy when being mobbed by enemies). I've tried playing other ra's but none of them suit me. Maybe I'm just bias because my main char is a ramarl...Cheep is the cutest Ramarl!!!!!

Demonslayer
Nov 1, 2003, 03:45 PM
I have a ranger and the weapon i use most often is a Stag Cutlery. Everyone steryotypes about the damn rangers i hate it.

Bradicus
Nov 1, 2003, 03:52 PM
The only way RAmars could look more badass is if they make a Dick Tracy suit in the future.

PABLOparavida
Nov 1, 2003, 05:30 PM
I love my ramar I think rangers are the coolest.

Rudoku
Nov 1, 2003, 10:53 PM
I have a problem with their weapons. They have access to some of the greatest weapons in the game. Try being a low level HUcast in a game full of Spread Needles. Not fun.

anwserman
Nov 2, 2003, 01:28 AM
My only problem with rangers is when one comes in, with a couple al rappies and a spread needle or a heaven's punisher (especially in the even digits), and kills everything BEFORE we even get a chance to swing.

Create your own game offline for crying out loud... save the rest of us the misery of scrounging for EXP, which we shouldn't have to do.

LamerPanda
Nov 2, 2003, 01:46 AM
They have access to some of the greatest weapons in the game. Try being a low level HUcast in a game full of Spread Needles. Not fun.

Try being a low level RAcaseal in a game full of TJS and BKBs.

My only problem with rangers is when one comes in, with a couple al rappies and a spread needle or a heaven's punisher (especially in the even digits), and kills everything BEFORE we even get a chance to swing.

My only problem is when they come in and use level 30 techs to blow everything away BEFORE I even get a chance to shoot anything. Oh, wait, that's FOrces.

My point is that every character can be annoying if they're overpowered.

Shadow_010
Nov 2, 2003, 04:22 PM
On 2003-10-30 19:36, DOG21313 wrote:
Some just don't like they're playing style, including me, it just seems too boring to shoot from a distance... But I find them INCREDIBLY useful in a team, they're good members.

I say shooting from a distance is less suicidal than running in w/ a sword. So meh.

Suppa_Buddha
Nov 2, 2003, 09:29 PM
I have nothing against em' I have one.

Mystil
Nov 3, 2003, 05:04 PM
On 2003-10-30 18:55, Slicer238 wrote:
When I first seen the article for PSO in my Nintendo Power, my first thought was. "I'm going to create a ranger."

I seriously thought and did the same thing.

Anyhow, it's the whole spreads/Yas issue that got everyone hating Rangers. They're ok to me. They're like FOs with the ability to use high powered guns.

MasterJoel
Nov 6, 2003, 01:00 AM
well, i have, and play all three classes fairly evenly (that's a lie, i have hundreds more FO hours...)

anyhow, i used to not be much of a ranger fan as well... i just couldn't do very much damage... now that i have fairly high level chars, i have come to realize this: the brilliance of a RA isn't power, that's for a HU... the brilliance is in your special attacks.

admittedly, my RAcaseal isn't too powerful (although vulpes mundi has one that really kicks ass!), but she is very useful for several reasons: she can use a freezing gun (such as a frozen shooter) and freeze multiple enemies with ease, and use traps like other androids. her dfp is the highest in the game, so i'm not afraid to get into the fray of things with a shorter range weapon or trap use. because atp isn't very high with a RA, you might want to invest a lot of luck materials so they get many more critical hits. for this reason, i really like my RA... the beauty of a RA is for support in a different manner than a FO can give.

i also have a HUnewearl. i like her because she has support techs that are very good for solo games or that her tp increases really fast so i don't use many flooids. she doesn't spend time on the ground like previously suggested by the RA junkies, because she can hold her own.

honestly, i don't know why anyone would not like HUs or RAs... they just play differently. all classes have their strengths and weaknesses, you just have to play with them. the trick to doing really well with this game is to find the class that best suits your play style. don't be a hater!

Demonslayer
Nov 7, 2003, 03:38 PM
On 2003-11-05 22:00, MasterJoel wrote:
well, i have, and play all three classes fairly evenly (that's a lie, i have hundreds more FO hours...)

anyhow, i used to not be much of a ranger fan as well... i just couldn't do very much damage... now that i have fairly high level chars, i have come to realize this: the brilliance of a RA isn't power, that's for a HU... the brilliance is in your special attacks.

admittedly, my RAcaseal isn't too powerful (although vulpes mundi has one that really kicks ass!), but she is very useful for several reasons: she can use a freezing gun (such as a frozen shooter) and freeze multiple enemies with ease, and use traps like other androids. her dfp is the highest in the game, so i'm not afraid to get into the fray of things with a shorter range weapon or trap use. because atp isn't very high with a RA, you might want to invest a lot of luck materials so they get many more critical hits. for this reason, i really like my RA... the beauty of a RA is for support in a different manner than a FO can give.

i also have a HUnewearl. i like her because she has support techs that are very good for solo games or that her tp increases really fast so i don't use many flooids. she doesn't spend time on the ground like previously suggested by the RA junkies, because she can hold her own.

honestly, i don't know why anyone would not like HUs or RAs... they just play differently. all classes have their strengths and weaknesses, you just have to play with them. the trick to doing really well with this game is to find the class that best suits your play style. don't be a hater!

Well i have one of each of the classes and by far i think my RAmar is the best out of all of them especially w/ my Snow Queen and all. And he is stronger than my HUmar same lvl. All because of my beautiful lvl200 Nidra. I think all classes are the best like this guy said all classes have there strengths and weaknesses.

Kasumi19
Nov 11, 2003, 12:10 AM
My main character is a ramarl and she is my favorite character. I like that she has high techs, good ATA, and decent ATP at higher levels. Rangers get very powerful at higher levels when their ATA increases and they are equipped with a power mag. The only people I know who kinda bag on rangers are the die-hard time attack challenge mode people. I like my ranger, but they are fairly difficult to play in challenge mode. A Ranger has fairly low ATP in challenge mode and it takes forever to actually kill an enemy with one and they have decent MST and TP, but do not start off with any spells, and I know when I have played my ranger in challenge mode most of the spells I picked up are just above her MST level. Rangers get totally jipped in challenge mode.

Kasumi19
Nov 12, 2003, 10:45 PM
On 2003-11-01 22:28, anwserman wrote:

This is not the ranger character's fault. Anyone who does this makes my hate list. I have observed forces who do they same crap with a really high razonde. These people just do not play well with others.

Wufei
Nov 13, 2003, 09:43 PM
Rangers are the most powerful characters in the game once you boost their ATP enough. Weapons like the Frozen Shooter and Spread Needle are pure ownage.

LordCronai
Nov 13, 2003, 10:39 PM
Rangers simply don't provide as many vitalities to the team as other classes do. Hunters go in there and take the hits so that others don't-efficiently the team's defense, and yet a major offense in one. If hunters are the team's walls, forces are the team's foundation-vital support is given through Shifta, Deband, Resta (for those unable to heal themselves without items), Reverser (sp?), and the like. Spells at powerful levels are absolutely devastating.
Rangers on the other hand do not provide any unique support to the team. They just stand back and fire while forces provide support and hunters are in the fray. However, if people choose to play as a ranger character, I have nothing against that and it's all a matter of opinion. I simply feel rangers are not as challenging or useful as the other classes.

BountyHunter7
Nov 15, 2003, 04:36 AM
What do people have against rangers? Heres what a friend said when I asked him this qeustion.

"For one most ranger players know that they can control the field easier then any other class in the game. They have the ability to hit things from afar, and with charge type weapons they can do a huge amount of damage, making most Hunters and even forces obsolete. Therefore they get a little cocky and tend to be hated because of that."

Personally I think the ranger class is too overrated since a HU with a good slicer(Diska of Bravemen w/hit%, Charge Diska w/hit%) can put most shots to shame since the ATP on a HU is so high, especially on a HUcast. Mechguns are universal and any character can use them effectively, so that leaves that comparison out. The only true advantage that I see is the fact that they can use certian weapons without getting touched(Spread Needle, Frozen Shooter/Snow Queen, etc.). Other then that, the ranger class has nothing to impress me ability wise.

haruna
Nov 15, 2003, 02:40 PM
Rangers in C-mode can be handy. Having an Android Ranger in the caves and mines is quite handy. In the Ruins stages, I've found some very nice Ranger weapons like a Devil's Sniper with phat hit %%s.

Looking at the majority of PSO players out there, they really don't have any skill in this game. PSO's mechanics are simple on the surface(ie, you don't need to pre-program loads of macros on a keyboard and micromanage your experience points and distro them to a few hundred different attributes) but to say that PSO isn't a skill game is not true.

Sure, the hackers and dupers have made it so people don't need to learn the finer arts of combo timing, avoiding damage cancel, team work, etc.

Take a Ranger that's become reliant on a NUG or Frozen Shooter, put them in c-mode and they're bound to have a nasty time. They'll be pre-conditions to go after as many enemies as possible but the truth of the matter is, they should find an isolated spot and back up the others by shooting/stunning enemies that the HUs aren't on.
Sure, they'll get less experience because *gasp* they don't get to go in for the kill!

ok no more venting...

Ketchup345
Nov 18, 2003, 03:28 PM
On 2003-11-13 19:39, LordCronai wrote:
Rangers simply don't provide as many vitalities to the team as other classes do. Hunters go in there and take the hits so that others don't-efficiently the team's defense, and yet a major offense in one. If hunters are the team's walls, forces are the team's foundation-vital support is given through Shifta, Deband, Resta (for those unable to heal themselves without items), Reverser (sp?), and the like. Spells at powerful levels are absolutely devastating.
Rangers on the other hand do not provide any unique support to the team. They just stand back and fire while forces provide support and hunters are in the fray.

RAngers can take hits almost as well as HUnters. The characters that have the best DFP and EVP aren't Huntewrs, they're RAngers (doesn't make sense). The RAmarl can dodge attacks much easier than anyone else, with her EVP finishing at 900, followed by a FOnewearl, then the best EVP HUnter, HUcaseal. I am almost sure that RAcaseals have the best DFP in the game, and combined with auto HP regen, and a good Gush series weapon, can be really useful for taking damage. They also have the ability to melee (especially the two classes I meantioned above).

You aren't always guarenteed to have a Force in your team, especially offline. My main team is my friends HUcaseal (124), and my RAmarl (115). We both take enemies out much faster with my support techniques, and even though my Resta can't heal either of us fully (even at level 20), it is better than having him use *mates. Also, there are Moon Atomizers to replace Reverser.

RAngers aren't limited to support fire, as they can melee quite effectively and can be the best support of a team if there is neither a FOrce or a HUnewearl on the team. You aren't always guaranteed to have the perfect team, but RAngers (especially the human ones) can fill in any blank spots in the team. Plus, there are enemies that aren't effected by spells as much as a RAnger's power and special combo can do. RAngers are great at giving HUnters (and anyone else) the ability to do whatever they want easier, due to their high ATA and ability to make use of many weapon's special attacks. Combine the ATA with a freeze or paralysis (Frozen Shooter/Snow Queen {no need to use power attacks, the special frezes, has only slightly less accuracy <it seems>, and does the same damage}, or a Spread Needle, and you give everyone a chance to get several hits off without being concerned about being hit.

KaFKa
Nov 18, 2003, 06:13 PM
rangers aren't that good, IMO. they jack kills that the hunters should be getting, they draw enemies to the FOrces that are usually in the same area, and at medium levels, they are just a beast to play with (the bad kind of beast) i personally don't like rangers that much, although i took my RAmarl to level 95 before getting bored with her. but the fact of the matter is, the RAcast and RAmarl are the only two rangers that are relatively good. i personally like HUnters, but i realize that a RAnger with any sense at all would be a decent artillery peice. but FOrces take that position before rangers. they would be decent fighting machines if it werent for the hunters. its just my opinion that the rangers are the bastard-children of PSO. that and its more viscerally rewarding when you slay ten arlans at the same time with your sealed-j sword. although i will say that a two-person team consisting of a HUnewearl and a RAmarl is a devastating team. they own almost as bad as a HUcast and a FOnewearl. that being said, rangers rely on range (duh) and when you're in one of those tigh spaces in seabed you sometimes wish you were a hunter (although RAcast can pull this off somewhat effectively). but no matter what, they will never be as good as a HUnewearl http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Ketchup345
Nov 18, 2003, 06:33 PM
On 2003-11-18 15:13, KaFKa wrote:
rangers aren't that good, IMO. they jack kills that the hunters should be getting, they draw enemies to the FOrces that are usually in the same area, and at medium levels, they are just a beast to play with (the bad kind of beast) i personally don't like rangers that much, although i took my RAmarl to level 95 before getting bored with her. but the fact of the matter is, the RAcast and RAmarl are the only two rangers that are relatively good. i personally like HUnters, but i realize that a RAnger with any sense at all would be a decent artillery peice. but FOrces take that position before rangers. they would be decent fighting machines if it werent for the hunters. its just my opinion that the rangers are the bastard-children of PSO. that and its more viscerally rewarding when you slay ten arlans at the same time with your sealed-j sword. although i will say that a two-person team consisting of a HUnewearl and a RAmarl is a devastating team. they own almost as bad as a HUcast and a FOnewearl. that being said, rangers rely on range (duh) and when you're in one of those tigh spaces in seabed you sometimes wish you were a hunter (although RAcast can pull this off somewhat effectively). but no matter what, they will never be as good as a HUnewearl http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I'm a level 115 RAmarl, and never had a low point. I am just as effective or more than either of the HUnters in my team (HUmar {optional}, HUcaseal {always in my team when playing multi}). They both gettheir exp and hits in, its just that I am able to keep them safe (Resta, Frozen Shooter {10 Hildetorrs before one dropped http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_evil.gif}, and shots {keep enemies fro attacking}). I am also the FOrce since we never have one, casting Shifta and Zalure (we don't worry about getting hurt much except in Ult Ruins and Mines). Plus, inexperianced FOrces are probably weaker/less effective than RAngers of the same experiance; an experianced RAnger can be as effective as a FOrce of the same experiance.

KaFKa
Nov 18, 2003, 07:23 PM
ahem, im sorry, but you didn't listen to me when i said that the RAmarls were the good rangers. and of course throwing a n00b rnager vs. a n00b force, of course the ranger is going to win, its so freaking simple it's retarded with rangers. no skill needed, no style to use. nothing but point and shoot. and thats all rangers have. point and shoot. (RAmarl excluded as always) but i guarantte that if i had a decent force and pitted it against your RAmarl, the RAmarl would lose horribly. and just so you geniuses can finally figure it out, frozen shooter/snow queen isnt your answer to everything. i would love to see you try and beat my HUnewearl, but that is kind of a one-sided fight anyways. but thats getting slightly off-topic. when you're somewhere around level 20 or so, and you don't have all the uber twinked stuff, you are gonna be a pathetic excuse for anything being a ranger. but of course when you have a rare 5/50/135/10 mag for your ranger, and the proper things to equip it with, there isnt really a slump area, just like with all the other classes, except that the ranger depends on weapons far more than a hunter does. (although the forces rely on items the most) so there you have it, my little rant.

Ketchup345
Nov 18, 2003, 08:30 PM
On 2003-11-18 16:23, KaFKa wrote:
ahem, im sorry, but you didn't listen to me when i said that the RAmarls were the good rangers. and of course throwing a n00b rnager vs. a n00b force, of course the ranger is going to win, its so freaking simple it's retarded with rangers. no skill needed, no style to use. nothing but point and shoot. and thats all rangers have. point and shoot. (RAmarl excluded as always) but i guarantte that if i had a decent force and pitted it against your RAmarl, the RAmarl would lose horribly. and just so you geniuses can finally figure it out, frozen shooter/snow queen isnt your answer to everything. i would love to see you try and beat my HUnewearl, but that is kind of a one-sided fight anyways. but thats getting slightly off-topic. when you're somewhere around level 20 or so, and you don't have all the uber twinked stuff, you are gonna be a pathetic excuse for anything being a ranger. but of course when you have a rare 5/50/135/10 mag for your ranger, and the proper things to equip it with, there isnt really a slump area, just like with all the other classes, except that the ranger depends on weapons far more than a hunter does. (although the forces rely on items the most) so there you have it, my little rant.

Whoops, must have missed the part about RAmarls being the best. Anyway, I had the RAmarl as my first character (offline only + no friends to give stuff to me), which was completely legit. I only used what I found (had to for reason above, and combined with Redria and using the purple rifle with a weak ice special until I got the Varista, still had no problems). I just got the Frozen Shooter the other day (10 stupid Hildetorrs), and realize that it isn't the best weapon, but it makes play so much easier, especially now that I can concentrate on dodging a few enemies, even though I can block many attack in Forest and Caves (along with HUcaseal friend, and the Frozen Shooter saves him from using freeze traps). My RAmarl uses a Rati with 5 DEF, 60+ POW, 42 DEX, and 80+ MIND.

Plus, how do you know that I can't take on your HUnewearl? If they are the same level, I think I may have a huge advantage. I would use Frozen Shooter to freeze (duh), then use my 10% A. Beast H&S25 Justices to finish you off (combined with S/D/J/Z of course, and Anti to get rid of any J/Z on me). If you do get close enough to me, my DFP and EVP in combination with my Redria ID, I would probably take little damage from you. And about the FOrce vs. RAnger, I meant that in co-op, one could be just as useful as the other. Plus online, isn't there damage cancelling? RAngers can easily damage one select enemy, while most FOrces are designed to combat groups of enemeies (well, at least the males), so they would negate the HUnter's attacks, while a RAnger would be just as good using a single enemy weapon (such as a rifle, handgun, or mechs), without taking from their effectiveness, unlike some FOrces.

Mystil
Nov 18, 2003, 09:43 PM
Having used a Ranger before(RAmarl) I know what thier primary weakness is. Which is DEF. Personally I would destroy any human ranger in like 2 minutes. The android rangers I would have trouble with.

KaFKa
Nov 19, 2003, 05:19 AM
On 2003-11-18 17:30, Ketchup345 wrote:

Whoops, must have missed the part about RAmarls being the best. Anyway, I had the RAmarl as my first character (offline only + no friends to give stuff to me), which was completely legit. I only used what I found (had to for reason above, and combined with Redria and using the purple rifle with a weak ice special until I got the Varista, still had no problems). I just got the Frozen Shooter the other day (10 stupid Hildetorrs), and realize that it isn't the best weapon, but it makes play so much easier, especially now that I can concentrate on dodging a few enemies, even though I can block many attack in Forest and Caves (along with HUcaseal friend, and the Frozen Shooter saves him from using freeze traps). My RAmarl uses a Rati with 5 DEF, 60+ POW, 42 DEX, and 80+ MIND.

Plus, how do you know that I can't take on your HUnewearl? If they are the same level, I think I may have a huge advantage. I would use Frozen Shooter to freeze (duh), then use my 10% A. Beast H&S25 Justices to finish you off (combined with S/D/J/Z of course, and Anti to get rid of any J/Z on me). If you do get close enough to me, my DFP and EVP in combination with my Redria ID, I would probably take little damage from you. And about the FOrce vs. RAnger, I meant that in co-op, one could be just as useful as the other. Plus online, isn't there damage cancelling? RAngers can easily damage one select enemy, while most FOrces are designed to combat groups of enemeies (well, at least the males), so they would negate the HUnter's attacks, while a RAnger would be just as good using a single enemy weapon (such as a rifle, handgun, or mechs), without taking from their effectiveness, unlike some FOrces.

on your first point, a cure/freeze would fix that, and also, when you're wasting time with a frozen shooter (high evp anyone?) i would have my own weps and techs that are going to hit you while you're switching weapons and whatnot(prolly in the short cooldown it takes for the frozen shooter/snow queen) and yes, i am a b-mode player, so i have the correct setup to make sure i don't have any disadvatages. although, if you look at it, the only real difference between a Ramarl and a HUnewearl is that the HU has ATP and the RA has ATA. *shrugs* maybe im just biased cuz my first char was a HUnewearl.

on your second point, you're assuming that everybody doesen't know about damage cancelling. it's been my experience (although i usually only play with old-school DC players) that FO's are smart enough to just go into a room, cast rafoie/barta/zonde and then j/z. then just use percision techs (zonde and foie) to take out the enemies that the hunters don't get to. and when it's really necessary, they just nuke the room as the team recovers and resta/anti anyone that needs it. but again, this is just my experience that i've had playing with dependable people. rangers pick and choose enemies? i've watched as noob rangers just sit at the door and NUG away as they damage-cancel all of the hunter's attacks(which are usually more damaging) but it all goes to naught when you have a lvl200 FOnewearl/megid machine just slaying everything. but that was one incident. so yes, i do believe that with experienced people, rangers are good. but not as good as the other classes. and if you'e wondering, yes my little 4-person crew has a ranger, although he just sits there with his final impact and drains exp until he gets to an equal level (he is currently 10 levels below us)

LamerPanda
Nov 19, 2003, 04:44 PM
so yes, i do believe that with experienced people, rangers are good. but not as good as the other classes.

Rangers are support. They're not SUPPOSED to be as good; FOs have incredible MST, HUs have incredible attack, RAs fit nicely in the middle (and even the android RAs have their place, they can at least stun enemies so the HUs can hit them). Sort of kind of vaguely like how a Red Mage fits between Black Mage and White Mage. (Second topic I've dragged Red Mages into, no idea why either >_>)

They can handle themselves as well, of course, but in a team they're not going to be the ones doing the most damage, healing the most people, or doing whatever else needs to be done by a more specialized class. They're a change from mindless running and hacking (if you can call being a RA sitting there and shooting, I can call being a HU running and hacking) and the massive concentration needed to be a good FO (Conserving TP, finding tech resistances, digging through the quick menu, etc).

It doesn't matter what class you are. It matters how you play the game, especially how you treat your teammates. It doesn't matter if they may be HU, RA, or FO, so long as they try their best to be a team player. That's all.

PS - I've beaten even FOs on BA before because not everyone brings Cure/Freeze, and those who do forget to bring something else, like Cure/Shock. =D Ha, ha.

KaFKa
Nov 19, 2003, 04:58 PM
cure/shock
cure/freeze
cure/confuse
god/battle

thats the usual setup for my HUnewearl

Ketchup345
Nov 19, 2003, 05:18 PM
On 2003-11-19 02:19, KaFKa wrote:
on your first point, a cure/freeze would fix that, and also, when you're wasting time with a frozen shooter (high evp anyone?) i would have my own weps and techs that are going to hit you while you're switching weapons and whatnot(prolly in the short cooldown it takes for the frozen shooter/snow queen) and yes, i am a b-mode player, so i have the correct setup to make sure i don't have any disadvatages. although, if you look at it, the only real difference between a Ramarl and a HUnewearl is that the HU has ATP and the RA has ATA. *shrugs* maybe im just biased cuz my first char was a HUnewearl.

Ok, so I would bring my Visk also. Plus, the freeze special has the same (maybe a tad bit lower) accuracy as a power attack. The weapons part is only as good as their ATA, as the RAmarl has the best EVP in the game. Plus, even in battle, many spells are easily reduced in damage. When a playing is going to face a FOrce, they would probably (hopefully) know enough to equip Super/Resist (4 would be best).

Ok, I guess the damage cancel point was dumb, but still, some enemies are better off being physically attacked than by being cast by spells.

O well, it all comes down to how good the player behind the character was. All characters are created equal. I just happen to find playing as a HUnter very boring, as I don't like being on the ground that much. FOrces take longer to get to their maximum playing point (at low levels they aren't that effective, unless very heavily tweaked), while RAngers are able to be played from the beginning to the end without much trouble.

Edit: I'm done in this thread, no point arguing, everyone has their own opinion of RAngers, and most don't really like them (as in playing as them) until they have tried them out and got them to a respectible point in the game (I would call that Hard mode, I have 3 RAngers past that point).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2003-11-19 14:25 ]</font>

LamerPanda
Nov 19, 2003, 05:42 PM
On 2003-11-19 13:58, KaFKa wrote:
cure/shock
cure/freeze
cure/confuse
god/battle

thats the usual setup for my HUnewearl

That's all well and good until someone uses a special that causes paralysis on you. =D Takes a few seconds to dig up the antiparalysis.

RAs sort of get screwed over in battle without their good guns, though, I'll readily admit that. They aren't made for fighting against someone that actually has a good strategy and high stats...

...though if someone's missing a Cure/Freeze and if you can avoid getting Zonde'd from across the room, FS gives a pretty major advantage.

KaFKa
Nov 19, 2003, 10:25 PM
...sol atomizers are on my quick select, for all those other status effects http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

LamerPanda
Nov 20, 2003, 08:09 PM
Shame that you only have 10 Sols. >_>

Wearing down someone works if you're patient enough for it!

KaFKa
Nov 20, 2003, 08:12 PM
yes it does, if you can survive it. i've been in a few battles where the people realized that "hey, the HUnewearl is owning us seperately" so it was a 3on1 battle. all i was doing was resta sheild and a few other tricks, just to survive. they beat me in the end -_- but hey, life goes on